Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Another person adding that the OP is great. However i feel that 'fortress' deserves a bit more mentioning - the original (QWTF) was the real benchmark-setting point for online FPS gaming if you ask me. Q3F and TFC were also hugely popular. If i get time ill write up a piece on Q3F... they game that stole my 13 year old life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is on Steam for change. How was that game? I played the living poo poo out of Enemy Territory (granted, it was a stand-alone game and free), but never the single player campaign.

RtCW brings back so many memories. The single player was alright, but the multiplayer is where it really shined. Enemy Territory was popular because it was free, but it was largely a step back from RtCW. A lot of the mods for ET's online play removed features or tweaked them to be more like RtCW.

IMO it really set a standard and gave direction for FPS gaming online, shifting from deathmatch/CTF towards objective-based gameplay with classes.

I miss it :(

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Sven Co-op.

This mod was SO much fun. Some of the levels really relied on having a bigger group but it was awesome when you could jump on a server with just one friend and play through a bunch of levels - but even better when the surveys filled up.

Most other mods, if you played for hours you'd get to the end of a map rotation then likely stop. With Sven Coop you could literally spend most of the day playing and never see the same map again.

Oh to be 16 again

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I think one thing that sucks these days is that the increased levels of graphical fidelity make it harder for people to make mods and maps. Like in a lot of the mods i used to love the new assets were pretty lovely looking, but the games weren't that far off them so even like, a beginner modeller could turn out a gun that wouldn't immediately turn people off. People could get good at that stuff through modding, starting off making assets just a little bit worse than the game, then on par with the game, then even better than the game.

I totally agree. Another factor is that people seem to need something to strive for long-term in games now - i.e. 'levelling up' / earning items / etc. All the games i spent significant time playing when i was younger were purely for the fun of each match and getting better at the game.

My first love was Quake 3 Fortress. By the end of it's development it was a very high quality mod (and the guys who made it are now the game company Splash Damage) but it started from a pretty simple place... just QWTF for Quake 3.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Splash Damage started as the mod team for Quake 3 Fortress. Q3F is where my teenage obsession with first person shooters and online gaming all began. :allears:

I then moved on to RTCW, which was one of the first popular multiplayer FPS games with a class system and objectives. Then naturally moved to Enemy Territory... bringing me back to Splash Damage game. Then a team then ported Q3F over to Enemy Territory too - all comes full circle.

Everything they've made since then has seemed to be ambitious but commercial flops?