Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

InterFaced posted:

This is the reason I still play quake 2.
http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/

This is incredible. Random enemy spawns and new secrets that require teamwork to get to are going to shake all the predictability off Quake 2. Time to hit up my old Quake coop buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've always had terrible framerate issues with RGA and RGH, specifically while switching/reloading weapons. Is anybody aware of which graphics options may cause this? My rig ain't anything special--8600GT, 2.5G memory, 2.13 dual core--but jesus, it should run doom.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mantle posted:

I get a little hiccup when doing the same thing on my MacBook 2010. Yeah it's integrated graphics, but come on, it's doom.

I don't even get a hiccup, I get atrocious, near constant stuttering that makes the wad unplayable. The belt-fed machine gun in particular will cause a freeze on the same frame for nearly a full second about two or three times in a single reload animation.

A friend of mine had the same issues when we tried to play RGA on lan, and his hardware is completely different from/more powerful than mine. Tried resetting our config files, nothing. Still, I've never seen this issue mentioned anywhere else.

On another, unrelated issue: This same friend recently got his monitor back from repairs, and supposedly had some kind of driver issues. He tried rolling back drivers and supposedly spent 6 hours troubleshooting, but for some reason he can no longer play Skulltag in OpenGL. I believe he just gets a black screen. We're aching to get the Stronghold server going again, but that's not going to happen until this is resolved. Any ideas?

treat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 1, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah, but he's running Win7, and Software doesn't support 3D floors which are required for Stronghold.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
My buddy picked up Doom64 the other day and I hadn't realized how completely different it was. We were pretty disappointed that we couldn't play it coop, so is there a good Doom64 wad out there, one that hopefully uses the same music and same sprites?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been Playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the difference between each of the 3 classes aside from the obvious difference in total health/starting weapon. Is scout the class for the hardcore player, or is there some other benefit I'm missing?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Brutal Doom + Ennio Morricone Spaghetti Western playlist is the most fun I've had playing Doom in a while.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Quirk, I love how gritty and classic those videos look, and I've got a friend who's been having problems with OpenGL recently. Could you copy or upload your config file?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Honestly, I just think it looks great and want a separate install for when I feel like playing with low graphics. Also, it seems he just got OpenGL to work, however only in windowed mode. I have no idea what's going on as he's terrible at explaining it, but apparently he just blank screens when trying to run in OpenGL in full screen.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing airquake and horrorquake with friends recently, but one thing bugs me.

The font of the menus and hud in Darkplaces is a gritty, washed out mess, and I can't find a way to edit it through options, documentation or google. I'd like to be able to change the colors and textures, and maybe even the font. It's incredibly difficult to read.

Any help with this?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doom 64 EX seems to have some type of multiplayer functionality built in, but a friend and I couldn't get it to work whatsoever over hamachi. Anybody else have luck with it?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
If you don't want mouse look, you could try raising or lowering your sensitivity in game to such a degree that all effects of mouse movement are negated. Just an idea.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah, if you toss up a server you can simply type the IP in console to connect.
code:
connect ###.###.#.#
Actually getting a server to appear on the master list can be a chore because it requires DMZ, firewall access, and if you're ISP blocks the port you're SOL.

With that, just got a new monitor and OpenGL problems are solved. Stronghold server should be going back up this evening.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364121

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
97.121.31.119:10666

You'll also need the fix from the OP of the stronghold thread. All the info regarding the server is on the last page.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That was map08 Tricks and Traps. I've been doing a no-save brutal doom run, and the final sinking platform room got me every time. Took me 3 days before I finally stopped loving it up.

Jarate posted:

If Unreal was made in this modern era, the only thing people would remember about stepping off the ship is the sheer level of bloom.

:wink:
:wmwink:

treat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 14, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

So I've been playing Team Fortress(quake) in Darkplaces. God drat, it's been since 1998. It's still amazing.

If anyone wants to play this, download tf2.8. Then, just search for quakeworld servers in darkplaces. I've mostly been playing co-op, which is insane.

I still need to download doomsday again if the internet issues have been worked out since 5 years ago. Does the doomsday website have most of the mods I'll need? Or, are there some awesome ones I'll miss?

I put up a server playing DoomFortress coop in Doom2 the other day. It never even occurred to me to play the original. I'm on this.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm also interested in some music wads for both Doom and Doom2. Recommendations?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm actually looking for some wads tailored to suit the mood of each game. Alternatively, thrash/grind. I want some midi blast beats.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

So how can I get Skulltag going with ReDoom and a music WAD when me and a buddy play? I was under the impression that Doomseeker servers download them from the host automatically when they're required, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not from the host themself, but a repository of verified mirrors which host the wad. Wadseeker is the button right next to host server. If you can't find the wad you need with that, you'll have to download it yourself.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
brutaldoomv10b

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Gooch181 posted:

I used to play the poo poo out of firearms. It was awesome up until like 2.5 or something and it started to change a bit. Still wish that poo poo would come out for source I would gladly give it another shot.

It did? http://www.moddb.com/mods/firearmssource

It's the legitimate Firearms sequel, too. The hijackers behind FA2 supposedly just gave up at some point and their Moddb page is littered with vicious comments about their lovely mod and moral character.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Wait, did you just say Doom isn't about confusing level design?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

You must be one of those poor lost souls that played Doom II or Plutonia before the first game.

Doom was the first non-shareware/Apogee demo PC game my 9 year old self had ever played, and I still prefer Doom 2's pre-cityscape levels to KDitD.

e; Oh god, the last 15 years of my life...

treat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 22, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

CyRaptor posted:

:words:

I generally enjoy getting "lost" in most games I play because I've either got a great innate sense of direction or all the years I've invested into iD games have left me unhappy with anything other than intricate level designs. I just played through Z1M1 for the first time, though, and I absolutely understand what you're saying. I ended up running around the the map twice before I discovered the side room that lead to the red key card. It's convoluted and cluttered as hell, but as a reinterpretation of episode 1, I think I'll be more than willing to put up with it.

One question though: Is KDiZD designed with enabled jumping in mind? There are quite a few spots that look like secrets that could be easily jumped to, but I haven't been able to find any other alternate paths to them short of searching the entire level for some switch that'll activate an elevator or bridge.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So I've got an issue with KDiZD. Every time I reach the unnecessarily gaudy intermission with the 3D map and ridiculous stat pages, I run into "No map data loaded" and the only way to continue is to nextmap it and lose the progress of the map prior. This is with both skulltag and GZDoom. It almost works with zdoom, though sometimes it gets stuck in the stat selection and won't allow me to get to the "exit intermission" tab.

Is there any way around this? I think I recall an older version with the classic intermission screen, but I haven't been able to dig anything up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

JerryLee posted:

I was actually surprised by how much better Z1M3 was than I remembered it.

The blue keycard. Moments like those are what really made KDiZD fun. You know what to expect but you never quite know what you're expecting, in a way.

Roobanguy posted:

4 hours? Good lord.

I only ever played about 15 minutes of Nehahra, but I do remember having a smoke, making a trip to the store, cleaning the kitchen, eating lunch, taking the dog for a walk and having another smoke while I waited for the intro to end.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah, cutscene 0. Honestly, I just wanted to see how long it was.

I was immediately turned off by the first level of Nehahra, too, but after reading that it gets better I'll give it another shot.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Asking again: Is there a version of KDiZD that foregoes the intermission map? Maybe one where the intermission map actually works? I've spent 2 hours every other night this week beating a horribly convoluted KDiZD map only for the intermission map to kick me back into the classic version of the map I just beat, or fail to recognize that I just beat a map at all, leaving me stuck on the intermission map with no way of progressing.

The maps are frustrating enough themselves. I don't need the god drat intermission making it any harder to play.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It seems DoomMusic2011 was causing it. Probably should have mentioned I was rolling with that. I guess it's a good excuse to go back to playing Ennio Morricone while I doom. :banjo:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Is there a high-res monster pack anywhere? It's kinda weird seing these super-blocky, blurrily textured enemies in such a luciously detailed environment.

Reforged is what you're looking for.
http://quakeone.com/reforged/

On the topic of Quake, Darkplaces has given me grief with dirty/gritty/difficult to read font textures and I haven't been able to fix it through the menu, config or with alternate font packs. Fitzquake is looking pretty nice and I'm thinking about switching. Is Darkplaces still the source port of choice?

For reference:

treat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 27, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

justbread posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread yet, but my Q1 source port of choice is QuakeSpasm: http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/

It's a fork of FitzQuake that adds Linux (SDL) and 64-bit support, as well as some minor bug fixes and enhancements. It's the best "vanilla" Quake port I've come across so far. That, and FitzQuake doesn't appear to be under active development anymore.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I take it on a map by map basis. I'll save at the start as to not lose my progress, but avoid quick saving.

I find that quick saving in most games--even though it's just a moment--pulls you out of the action and eliminates a lot of tension. When you quick save, you're effectively stepping back into your comfort zone by giving yourself a brief respite. I feel that an ability to step back and relax at will is deeply detrimental to the budding sensations a game can incite by pulling you right out of the thick of it. Just having the option to quicksave sometimes pulls me out of the moment by just knowing it's there tempting me.

It's the thrill, the adrenaline. The constant volley between moments of fear and smug rear end kicking. Not to mention, when you complete a difficult map without the crutch of a quicksave, the satisfaction is magnified.

I've always been primarily attracted to playing games for challenge, though. Plot/immersion/atmosphere/aesthetics don't typically interest me at all.

That said, gently caress Thy Flesh Consumed right in the dick.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing around with hosting a Brutal Doom coop server with zpack, but many of those maps are a little too rough for 1 life survival coop. Instead, I'd like to do either one of two things:

Either A) respawn with default health and pistol only, but I'd like to add a respawn timer to make dying just a bit more detrimental. Say, 30 seconds or so.

or B) keep the 1 life per player in survival coop, and have the map change to the next in rotation once the last player dies rather than restarting the same map.

Are there some custom parameters that will allow me to do either/both of these?

treat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

tooooooo bad posted:

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

PistolStartEnforcer is great, but TacticalChainsaw is incredible. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with brutal doom, which is quite sad considering how well it fits. If you haven't tried it out, TacticalChainsaw simply gives the chainsaw an alt-fire which ejects the blade as a gravity affected projectile that deals 40 damage to any enemy it hits. Picking the blade up or grabbing another chainsaw reloads it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Despite all the DooM talk around here, there's never much DooM DM talk, so...

A new version of AFTSDM was released today.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29485

It's a Judas Priest inspired DM wad which, quite honestly, kicks rear end.

Since my brutal doom server just took a poo poo on a zpack map that tried to spawn 300+ enemies, I'm hosting AFTSDM @ 184.99.113.88:10666

Come gently caress poo poo up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

I am hosting a Heretic++ game, called Goons Heretic++ on doomseeker. If my hosting is laggy someone else can try and do it.

IP address is 192.168.0.118:10666

I'll try and join in a bit, but I need a nap first. I completed act one two days ago, so I'd prefer to start on act 2 when I join.

Come one, come all!

That's your local IP. I also looked, and you're not showing up on the master server. This may be because you didn't check "broadcast to master," or more likely because your ports aren't forwarded/you're not the DMZ, or possibly because your ISP actually blocks the ports (in which case you're SOL).

Here are some threads that deal specifically with hosting in Doomseeker/IDE

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=19410
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=4975

If all else fails, link me to the pwads you're using and give me your preferred dmflags settings and I'll host it since absolutely nobody is playing AFTSDM on my server.

treat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 29, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The IP's on the server list as <NO RESPONSE>.

What's your dmflags2 set at? I'll toss up a server until you get it figured out, I'm working a double tomorrow anyway.

e; Server's up @ 184.99.113.88:10666

treat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
No problem. I struggled with hosting Doomseeker games for a long time only to learn that Cable-One was blocking the necessary ports. It's worked flawlessly since moving to Qwest, so I get a kick out of hosting new/old wads whenever I can.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Vertigus posted:

E2M2 with the music pack that the BrutalDoom guy recommends (http://www.4shared.com/file/N_D9I1vo/Doom_Metal.html) is probably my favorite Doom track ever. Does anybody know of any music packs that go for more of a spooky/techno feel than just metal?

While I wait 90 seconds for my download to start, I might as well ask. Are these replacement tracks for the entirety of Doom? Anything for Doom2? Are there any good music replacement wads for Doom2?

e; Hey. 90 seconds is up. Answers to my questions: yes/yes/if this isn't, probably not.

treat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm really suprised at how little people talk about Gunman Chronicles. That game is in a totally different league all it's own. never have I felt more in control of a gunfight than I did in any other game. why hasn't such powerful customization features been put in other games? it really feels like something entirely unique to it's experience.

I played the hell out of the demo back when it first released, but never bought it. Thanks to this post, I was reminded of a copy tucked away in a CD case full of old games a friend left at my place after a LAN party six years ago. I can't believe how well this game holds up. The pacing and challenge is top notch, and the scripted sequences and environmental hazards rival Half-Life in quality. I just ran into Jim French (Father Grigori, L4D's Bill) voicing a scientist, too. That was a nice surprise.

Like every HL mod/game, the enemies are all largely reskins, but in this it's hardly noticeable. I didn't even realize the big dinosaur was a Tentacle reskin until thinking about it just now.