Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:stare:

Are you sure you were playing Gunman: Chronicles? I can't think of anything in that game that could be considered a reskin.

I used the term loosely since they're actually remodeled and the behavior of most enemies is altered enough to make them unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Andore posted:

Fun Servers

What servers are you aware of that follow this sort of format? The only obvious one I could find was in Eastern Europe/bottom of the ocean/on mars and my outrageous ping makes simple strafe jumps impossible. I hope this isn't the only active one, I love games as toys and have been looking for more gldsource stuff other than sven coop.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I know it's pretty far removed from what classic FPS's are supposed to be, but I've been playing quite a bit of ZDoom Wars in skulltag the last couple of evenings on one of the Grandvoid servers. If you've never played, it's a sort of resource/unit macro management wad. You play as one of several heroes from one of several Doom engine games (doom guy, hexen, heretic, strife, chexquest, ect) and spawn monsters belonging to your characters game and build armies to battle other players. It's got a fair bit of depth, though I'm still trying to figure out if it's well balanced.

I've had a great time learning to play through inferences, but there are guides available to give you a quick boost up:
http://hosted.drdteam.org/zdwars/Documentation/

Come play! The server IP is 77.75.105.80:17037

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Or to play Doom2's secret Wolfenstein level.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

XausF1 posted:

Speaking of Skulltag, why the hell aren't you guys actually utilizing it for what it was meant to do? i.e. multiplayer

Or maybe I missed that bit in the thread?

:iiam:

I play a fair bit of skulltag, but attempting to host a server of any type through this thread alone has met with abject failure pretty consistently. I chalk it up to busy dudes simply reliving the single player aspects of the classics, not to mention most of this thread lives half a world away from each other, so getting a number of goons on one server at one time isn't going to happen.

As to why we don't talk about it more, that's because most skulltag wads (and servers) are terrible.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

bbcisdabomb posted:

A lot of people seem to have this problem, but I've hosted several Skulltag sessions with zero problems. All I had to do was forward the port and I was done.

While I'm talking purely about interest in the games hosted, the hosting issue a lot of people seem to have stems from ISP's blocking specific ports entirely. I was completely unable to host skulltag games until I moved from Cable-One to Qwest.

I'm definitely down to get more skulltag games going. It seems a lot of people maintain a strictly fleeting interest with any custom wads, but I'd love some classic deathmatching again.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
As much as I hate regenerating health, I think I hate intrusive bleeding screen effects more.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The unlimited detail stuff was beaten pretty deep into the ground over those last few weeks. Notch even wrote up an essay on why it's a scam.

General consensus of arguments between whether it's a scam or not seemed to agree at this: the technology--right now--isn't nearly as viable as they portray it to be in the video. It'd also be a nightmare for rendering animations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Palpek posted:

I worded it badly - I was refering to what you can find in the actual game and not the real universe as I can't really be sure if there are as many stars there - but there sure are millions in game.

It's the Milky Way, not the universe, and in actuality it's hundreds of billions, not millions. :science:

I haven't played the game/sim/mind bong, but with a margin of error of around 100-200 billion stars, I have a hard time even imagining how much depth it holds.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Being honest and unbiased, Hexen 2 starts out strong and is actually a lot of fun. The level design is incredibly organic and open ended, the combat and enemy variation is much more engaging than Hexen, and the puzzles are typically less convoluted, although there are moments. The problem, however, is the deeper you progress into the game, the more everything that's good about it fades away. I've never made it much further than the first egypt levels because of how boxy and boring the maps become by that point. It's worth playing through the first chapter because it's legitimately fun, but you'd aught to know that it doesn't get any better afterwords, in fact it gets much worse.

e; So apparently the Egypt levels are about halfway through the game, so maybe I am a little biased. Truthfully, it's been years since I've played it and I was probably stoned as hell at the time anyway, so yeah, bias.

treat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 26, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm not sure what the whole hullabaloo is about using a gamepad for Descent. I went through this whole process about a year ago, configured everything to my own anal retentive sense of perfection, and played through a good chunk of the game on a 360 pad before switching to keyboard/mouse. I found it much, much easier to control that way, even with the hinky mouse sensitivity. I even tried a sidewinder for a good while, but would go back to the M+K for the more difficult later levels. It may be conditioning, or it may be that I hit the sweet spot with the mouse sensitivity that I just couldn't replicate with the other controllers.

THAT SAID, if you're not digging dusty old joysticks out of the closet/garage to try and use with the Descent games, you're playing them wrong.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Of course it would be a lot quicker to unload a rocket or chaingun into the group, so it's sort of a moot point.

Try Deus Vult with Brutal Doom. It's absolutely necessary to manipulate infighting just to survive those massive waves. Having a Mancubii or two among 150 imps is as good as any power up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I can't run it so I tried to convince a friend to get the demo. He refused and I got so mad I stole his SATA cables.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm up for mods. We really should have an evening each month dedicated to a different classic game/mod. Do goons still have an active group doing this?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'll start a steam group/thread for a classic game/mod club this weekend if nobody else wants to beat me to it. I'd really love to get something like this going steady for an extended period of time, goons and non-goons alike. I've taken part in way too many of these sorts of groups that fade after a few weeks or never take off at all across a number of different communities and it is tearing my heart in two.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Stuntman posted:

And this is a very good thing. I'd rather have difficult ladders than automated ladders.

Exactly. Freedom of movement is something special and everyone will ultimately realize this when it's gone.

Did you Know: You can climb a ladder at twice the speed in Goldsrc games by simply strafing up them? Engine exploit or idiosyncrasy? You decide.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Ayin posted:

I would love to. RPS' article on it is what finally got me to get Half-Life. (Yeah, yeah... Look, I didn't have a computer that ran newer than Win95 until 2004.)

Although, I haven't actually tried AHL yet. I meant to finish HL1 first, got distracted, you know how it goes.

Do you want to go secret-hunting in all the AHL maps, or just 5am? The article mentioned that the others have big secrets too. (It's just that theirs have been explored by others already)

I'm so up for this as well (and for some plain old AHL).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zombie Samurai posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but did this go anywhere? I practically grew up on 2.5D shooters, and got my multiplayer chops in Quake II, so I would love to get in a group for some classic gaming. I've got the id megapack on Steam, and all my old discs for things like Duke Nukem 3D.

I think a Steam group would be the easiest, if most people are on there.

Sorry, no. I'm all talk. Truth be told, as someone who works on-call, I'm a pretty poor candidate as the organizer of scheduled events, not that I intended to take any sole responsibility or anything. I'll try to find time in the next few days to start a steam group as an interest check assuming steam community is working correctly by then. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but--much like the five or six similar goon steam groups I've been apart of in the past--I'm not expecting much to come of it unless a strong number of people are willing to try and host events on a regular basis.

e; actually, it takes two minutes. Here, please join. Invite your friends. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

:siren: ATTN! Want to play classic/forgotten games/mods with friendly people who care about you? Join ^ that group. :siren:

treat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 28, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

treat posted:

e; actually, it takes two minutes. Here, please join. Invite your friends. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

:siren: ATTN! Want to play classic/forgotten games/mods with friendly people who care about you? Join ^ that group. :siren:

Also, if anyone is interested in organizing/hosting events please let me know so I can hook you up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I ran a BrutalDoom + Zpack server for a little while and it was a great time. Definitely one of the most successful Skulltag setups I've hosted. Some of the later maps had more monsters than my rig could handle, though. I'll probably bring it back on the media server once it's built.

They're some really interesting maps, too, and the definitely lend well to the sort of action movie vibe Brutal Doom gives off.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Dominic, do you have an issue with Brutal Doom causing enemy spawns to be inconsistent? For example, on the first ZPack map, you pick up the blue key and a bunch of Zombies and Imps teleport in behind you. With Brutal Doom, sometimes they spawn in, sometimes they don't, sometimes only a few of them do. And it's only with Brutal Doom. :iiam:

I'm pretty sure it's because of the way Brutal Doom changes monster movement and height movement ability in combination with the way that teleport is designed to work. Monsters don't "spawn" in Doom, they teleport from separate, inaccessible areas of the map. All in all, I think it tends to make things more unpredictable and interesting (also outright loving you like in E4M2).

I also think Z-Pack is great to play on Nightmare with BrutalDoom, largely because only custom enemies will respawn, being the only ones unaffected by BrutalDoom. It adds to some of the unpredictability and can make them a bit more of a threat because--comparatively--they're much easier than the faster/more aggro BrutalDoom monsters, especially with the increased shotgun pellets. Just watch out for Rocket Zombies. Holy poo poo.

treat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

I have joined the steam group as well. I would be up for HL1 mods, quake mods, doom mods, really anything. I sometimes host events in my community, so if you need help, let me know. We are going to need something like vent for games that don't have microphone capability.

If we get enough people I would definitely organize something. If you want to make me an admin I can start posting some events. HL1 mods still on the list, or should we do old to new?

Done. I'm open to any games/mods regardless of age or obscurity, and I hope others are too. The point is really just to give people a chance to enjoy multiplayer games with stagnant or non-existent communities. Even focusing on under-represented aspects of games that are still somewhat popular is alright by me.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
^^^ Renting a server would be more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, what with switching between so many games and mods. A lot of hosting companies don't always play nice/won't host obscure and dead mods, either.

Otherwise, I have a friend with a powerful box/connection who may give a hand.

Rather Dashing posted:

Science & Industry has my vote for HL and the infamous Catch the Chicken for Quake 2.

My executive decision goes to S&I so so hard.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Just a heads up that we're going to play some classic Quake DM and Coop in a couple of hours. Meet up in the group chat, details will be posted in an announcement.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

NecroBob posted:

drat, I was doing Operating Systems homework! Are you all still playing? What engine, mods, server...? I didn't see anything on the Steam group thing.

Darkplaces http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html or my preferred favorite, nquake http://nquake.com work well. Nothing's going on right now, but we're going to try some Quake Team Fortress later. http://www.moddb.com/mods/team-fortress/downloads/team-fortress-28-release

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
To run Quake mods, create a shortcut to the source port .exe and add -game quakemod in the target line after the quotations wherein "quakemod" is the name of the folder containing the mod, which you should have extracted to your quake directory. Run mod with shortcut.

Also worth noting that Darkplaces can be a huge pain in the rear end with broken functions and features, bugs and crashes. The only benefit to using it is the extra eyecandy. Otherwise, nquake is the better port in every way.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 4, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

closeted republican posted:

People over at QuakeOne have been raving over DirectQ, a Direct3D port that can work on a lot of systems and has good mod support. I haven't tried it out myself, but it sounds good if you want plain Quake 1 (not QuakeWorld, which is what nQuake is a port of).

For single player Quake, I prefer Fitzquake. Easy to set up and not too many bells and whistles which is what I prefer. Seems asinine having 3 different source ports of every classic game for different purposes, but I spend more time organizing my Steam games than I spend playing them anyway.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

Anyways, starting off co-op, then completely slaughtering each other, we need something less intense to wind down with...

AH-L would be redundant, so I vote either Wizard Wars or Zombie Panic! ZP! would make a good wind down, and I'm sure there are still servers available for it. If somebody could host, we could do scientist hunt or the opera.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zeether posted:

What's a good sourceport for mods then? Also, how do I make it so Quake on Steam isn't a horrible pixelated mess when I scale it up past 640x480?

I really like Quakespasm (http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/index.htm), based on fitzquake. It's pretty basic comparatively, but that's how I like it. I haven't tried DirectQ (http://mhquake.blogspot.com/) like closeted republican mentioned, but it looks like a good option.

Don't play Quake through steam. Use a port. If you want the classic vanilla experience, play at low resolution.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Friendly reminder. We're playing Science & Industry right now.

97.121.8.193 until the other server goes up, if it does.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Robolizard! posted:

What is the name of the steam group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This Sunday, October 23rd, starting @ 4pm EST is Quake 2 Mod Love Weekend. I know Q2 gets a lot of grief here, but if there was nothing outstanding about the game, that sentiment certainly didn't apply to the mods, so no need for rose-tinted glasses. No need for poo poo-tinted glasses, either. There will be more than enough BROWN for everybody.

Lineup so far is Action Quake 2 (http://www.fileplanet.com/74222/0/0/0/1/section/Mod_Files), GLOOM (http://www.planetgloom.com/), Rocket Arena (http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/7546) and JAILBREAK. Files for Jailbreak, QPong and Catch the Chicken here.

Source Ports - R1Q2 (http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/)
EGL Quake 2 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/ - Scroll down to EGL, download individual files)

Lastly, if anyone has Plat or direct contact with R1CH (R1Q2, long time GLOOM sever and website host, Lost Continents TF2 servers host, all around total dude): invite him to this event, thank him for all he's done for shut-ins with internet access, or if you're feeling extra generous help him pay his bills.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

Thinking of playing for an hour or so later - it'll be 9pm BST here :) Bit confused about the source ports thing though - which mod goes with which port? Also do I need anything else to connect to a game?

R1Q1 is a more vanilla, multiplayer focused and highly mod compatible port while EGL has high resolution textures and other various graphical improvements, but should work just fine.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Beefheart posted:

Is that Action Quake 2 server up yet? I want to play.

We should get rolling in about an hour, and we mostly coordinate through the group chat.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The plan was spooky mods (Vampire Slayer, Zombie Panic, Horror Quake, ect.) for Halloween weekend and UT next week, but really, it's whatever people want to play. I also made it so you can host events (like a week ago, and didn't tell you) as I have to step down for a while because of my work schedule. I can still try to host events on different days/at different times if there's anybody else out there who Sunday @ 4pm EST doesn't necessarily work for.

If anyone would like games at different times/days, say something. Post a comment on the group page or here. It'd be cool to get some euro players who're willing to host events too.

treat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 29, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Here's the list for this afternoon. More ideas are welcome. I'm pumped for BrainBread!

@ 4pm EST.

Zombie Panic! - http://www.moddb.com/mods/zombie-panic
Vampire Slayer - http://www.moddb.com/mods/vampire-slayer
BrainBread - http://www.moddb.com/mods/brainbread

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men/events/1443629142907695186

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Roobanguy posted:

Which games going to be first?

We're playing Zombie Panic! right now, we'll probably follow this order. Connect to 97.121.27.247 or join the group chat if you'd like to play.

treat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Since so many people enjoyed Brain Bread, it's worth mentioning that something of a spiritual successor, source mod No More Room in Hell was released today after way too long in development. It's the same players vs AI zombies, but this one takes the anti-coop a step further by starting the players off scattered around the map and enabling and sometimes encouraging them to turn on one another for personal gain or survival.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Given how long NMRiH has been in development, I almost consider it an Early FPS game anyway. With that, Source is really starting to age. I hope that isn't too detrimental to the community. NMRiH is easily one of the best mods Source has seen in a long time. The 1.01 patch they put out last night (after just a few days) was a massive improvement over the release version and really shows these guys know what they're doing have been working incredibly hard on the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zeether posted:

Speaking of Descent, a multiplayer night on that would be awesome.

I'm up for this, though I assume most people who own Descent have it on GOG, so I vote for Descent 2. This weekend (and multiple times throughout the week), I believe, will be Unreal Tournament by popular demand.