Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ack, before the last thread ended I was complaining about music and someone posted a couple of handy links leading to Doom 1 music projects and the old thread is completely lost. I never bothered with the links because it was kind of late and unbookmarked the thread without thinking.

Can anyone repost them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ Doom 1 and 2 using MIDI synthesizers and instruments like would be used for a band instead of the crappy MIDI synth in your cheap sound card.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28330 Remastered DOOM 1 music

Cool, thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

Also I sort of half-assed this 3DO music wad for Doom 1 together that only covers the twelve tracks that were actually in 3DO Doom. Wasn't sure which other maps to assign the 3DO tracks to, open to suggestions.

Ah, I was looking for that too! Thanks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

co199 posted:

Another RGH vid, this time of the first TNT Evilution map.

Does RGH encourage it, or are you just playing Doom wrong? Dude. Autorun on, no Y-axis, never stop moving for anything. Anything :colbert:

RGH is a pretty neat mod all around though. It's amazing what people can do with this old engine sometimes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never had any luck getting AEons of Death working before, but now I really want to check it out. Here are the problems I'm running into:

Ultimate Doom: doesn't work with it. I get the following error:
code:
Script error, "AEoDdat.pk3:animdefs.aed" line 63:
Unknown texture SLIME01
Forcing it to run by not including AEoDdat.pk3 pretty much loads up regular old Doom with the fancy AEoD items and enemies replaced by generic placeholders (a red diamond with an exclamation mark).

Doom II: It works... but it's not exactly playable. Weird poo poo happens, here's all of the issues I ran into so far:
- Sometimes enemies don't spawn. At all.
- Same with weapons.
- Enemy and pickup sounds only play some of the time.
- My HUD isn't all there sometimes (or maybe this is a class thing?)
- My current weapon being actually displayed on screen is a rare sight, but when it does it misses animations and sounds when firing

These are things I ran into only on Map01 so far :psyduck:

GZdoom version: 1.5.6 (r1104). OGL enhancements disabled because my laptop is a dick.
AEoD version: 5.29.1

I've had this problem with AEoD and GZdoom versions both new and old. What's happening?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

Use the latest SVN build of zDoom here: http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Did that, still running into the same problems.

Vertigus posted:

Also, make sure you're running both AEOD.pk3 *and* AEODdat.pk3.

I've been doing that the whole time.

co199 posted:

Generate a map with Oblige, then grab the WAD that it generates, ctrl-click on the RGH pk3, then drag both of them to the Skulltag / gzDoom icon. Should start up the Oblige level with RGH.

Alternatively, since I haven't been playing without RGH, append -file RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3 to the gzDoom shortcut, then just drag the Oblige map to your shortcut. It'll prompt which IWAD you want to use (Ultimate Doom or Doom II) and there you go.

Okay, seriously everyone needs to use SavageMessiah's launcher that's posted in the OP. You never have to deal with drag-n-drop or changing shortcut parameters nonsense.

Plavski posted:

A game I used to play the poo poo out of was Chasm: The Rift. It was a late 90s 2.5/3D game set in some weird Egyptian altiverse thing. I don't remember much of the plot but it had a precursor to Dead Space's Ripper gun so I didn't ask too many questions. What was notable was the fact it had a fully featured level-editor on the CD-ROM. This excited my young mind wonderfully and I spent far more time working on custom maps than I did actually playing the drat game which, after all, was a pretty bog standard Quake clone. Also cool to note is how the developers of this game later went on to do Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason.

It's downloadable from here.

Played the poo poo out of this as a lad. It's a really underrated game I think and, despite the map design and gameplay not being as good, it is superior to Quake on a technical level (well, apart from the fact that it's still technically a 2.5D engine). The polys, animations, and textures were really crisp and there were a slew of environmental effects and outdoor environments not seen in the original Quake.

One thing Chasm broke the mold with was the bosses: You can't gun them to death. Instead you have to solve a puzzle to kill them. It's pretty neat. Everyone play Chasm right now.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 24, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

As someone that used Doomsday in light of GZDoom always having issues with ATI cards, I tried GZ again, mostly because I watched a vid of Brutal Doom :hawaaaafap: aaaaaaaaaand, it still has problems, mostly in the BSOD area. But it looks like the culprit is once again ATI's wonky OpenGL support, so if anyone on a Radeon has issues, throw this in the directory where gzdoom.exe (assuming you have a 64-bit Vista/7 installation)(and you should)

I can't speak much for GZdoom releases after September, but up until the end of August 2010 I used a computer with Windows 7 64-bit and an old Radeon X800. Never ran into a single problem. I don't recall ever using that fix.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Yeah, but he's running Win7, and Software doesn't support 3D floors which are required for Stronghold.

Well that would explain why the upper floor in the Unloved mansion is kind of buggy on my rig.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Purple D. Link posted:

Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

Keep playing. It's not Inferno or Shores of Hell, but it's still a good episode and I consider the first stage to be the worst of them all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

In the room behind the red door, remember to try and use the torches.

Best secret ever.

All these years and I have never known about that. I just did it and was amazed.

Just how far back does id's relationship with Trent Reznor go?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

It's also been released for computers if anyone's interested. :)

This downloads a broken file.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

Try this one

http://www.mediafire.com/?wbb7fw381ukl1in

Awesome! Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

The entire Quake series (except 4)

That is the entire Quake series :smug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:golfclap:

Is that you I faintly hear screaming "FFFUUUUCCKKK" at the end there?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zzulu posted:

This is what Doom 3 should have been like, but with fancier graphics

This will always be Doom 3 to me:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

I always considered Painkiller to be the 'real' Doom 3, personally.

That was Doom 4 :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Quirk, I love how gritty and classic those videos look, and I've got a friend who's been having problems with OpenGL recently. Could you copy or upload your config file?

He can just download original Zdoom. It's literally exactly the same as GZdoom, only without the OpenGL functionality.

Older versions of GZdoom were able to disable the OpenGL functionality in the video settings, but I'm not seeing it there anymore. It's still able to do it because I have it disabled (kept the old config file when I updated the source port).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

I've got the latest version of Skulltag on my PC, and it has this option.

Where is it found? IIRC it was under Video Settings > Render (Software/OpenGL). Not that it matters to me as my laptop can't handle OGL mode, but I'm just curious.

treat posted:

Honestly, I just think it looks great and want a separate install for when I feel like playing with low graphics.

Switch to a software render and drop the resolution to less than or equal to 640x480. Maybe disable fake contrast with that. Also Quirk seems to have the gamma correction cranked sky-high, so do that too if it floats your boat.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

Exactly where you described it. FYI the version of Skulltag I'm using is 98d that I got from skulltag.com, so maybe you need to upgrade your version. If not then I'm all out of ideas, I'm afraid.

I'm using the latest build of GZdoom. I'm not using Skulltag and iirc it uses an older version of GZdoom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Huh. They seemed to have changed the default automap colors in the newer versions of Zdoom. I managed to change them back to green and white like I'm used to, but the game shows undiscovered parts of the map as well and I would rather turn that off somehow.

Any idea how to do this? There isn't a "transparent" option in the automap colors, so I don't know what else to do.

EDIT: Nevermind. I made this post completely forgetting that I picked up the map computer in the level. There's nothing wrong with my automap :doh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 10, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cubemario posted:

So I'm showing appreciation for the classics but I have a screen warping/fisheye problem and changing the FOV or aspect ratio does not seem to solve it. I am playing ultimate doom and using zdoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIwaweAdsA

It's very disorienting and makes this game not enjoyable, please help.

Use GZdoom and enable the OpenGL render. It renders levels in 3D and fixes that perspective problem. Or you can really go classic like I do and disable the Y-axis altogether :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cubemario posted:

I'm trying doomsday and it's gone very well so far. I'm open to other suggestions however if there are better engines.

Give my suggestion a try. It may work for you or it may not, but keep in mind that not only is (G)Zdoom is pretty much everything a source port should be (regularly updated, very feature-rich), it has also become the de-facto standard for the modding community. Doomsday (or jDoom, whatever the hell they call it these days) has always been buggy for me as well, if that's worth anything. If your only issue is with the perspective problem shown in your video, going with GZdoom with OpenGL functionality is your best option if you ask me.

And hey, if you don't like it, you can always switch back.

The only thing I like about jDoom over (G)Zdoom is that it comes with a pretty sweet frontend. SavageMessiah's launcher for (G)Zdoom (found in the OP) is a godsend, though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 11, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Minidust posted:

'sup, disabled Y-axis bro.:hfive: In my recent playthough I'm going for a mix of streamlined enhancement and authenticity. Widescreen, dynamic lighting, enhanced HUD, but with "raw" graphics and no Y-axis. Loving it so far!

:hfive: I like my enhancements. I never play classic WADs without ReDoom, I like the OpenGL effects (though right now I'm running on software because my laptop is a piece of poo poo) and the overlay automap and the 1600x900 display...

But I'll be god damned if there's looking up and down in my Doom. :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr_Person posted:

I've got an old laptop that can barely handle Quake III, and on it GZDoom actually runs considerably better than software rendering. With texture filtering and fancy lighting disabled, it's around twice the speed of plain ZDoom.

My laptop:
CPU: dual-threaded, dual-core Intel i3 2.27GHz
GPU: Intel HD chipset, notorious for not being able to play anything remotely recent.

GZdoom (with OpenGL) on 1600x900 stutters like mad and becomes unplayable during some busy scenes. Software rendering (same resolution) doesn't experience any slowdown at all. I can play Quake III and the like just fine, it just seems to have a problem with newer rendering methods/calls or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm using Skulltag for multiplayer purposes and I can't seem to tell it to disable forward/backward mouse movement. How do I do this? Turning the slider all the way down doesn't help.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

moms pubis posted:

IIRC there's an "always mouselook" toggle somewhere in the options. Turn that on.

I also don't want vertical looking though. I only want the mouse to control looking horizontally.

treat posted:

If you don't want mouse look, you could try raising or lowering your sensitivity in game to such a degree that all effects of mouse movement are negated. Just an idea.

I have already said that this didn't work. It does for newer versions of Zdoom, but moving the slider all the way down in whichever version Skulltag is based on doesn't actually zero it.

I tried searching the .ini for it but couldn't find anything. Finding it and setting it to zero is really all that has to be done. Anyone know the command?

EDIT:
While you're at it, could someone tell me how I can play a two-player co-op Doom 2 campaign with my friend? I can't seem to figure it out. Shouldn't we be able to connect to each other's IPs or something?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 13, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

There's probably an even easier way but for playing with friends I always set up a server using the server browser client that comes with Skulltag. It has a nice GUI so it's extremely quick and easy to do.

I got that far, but I didn't really know what to do with it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

Doomseeker 101

This helped! Played some maps tonight and had a blast. Thanks! :tipshat:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maxwell Adams posted:

I love movement-based shooters. Running around and shooting stuff is great.

If a game engine prohibits you from outrunning your own rockets, then it has no business being installed on my computer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So how can I get Skulltag going with ReDoom and a music WAD when me and a buddy play? I was under the impression that Doomseeker servers download them from the host automatically when they're required, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

:eng101: Difficulty Education Time! :eng101:
Doom is weird in that as far as level design is concerned, there's only three difficulty levels - Easy, Medium and Hard. The easiest and hardest settings just pile modifiers onto the existing difficulty levels.

I'm Too Young To Die: Easy thing placement, double ammo, player damage halved.
Hey, Not Too Rough: Easy thing placement.
Hurt Me Plenty: Normal thing placement.
Ultra-Violence: Hard thing placement.
Nightmare!: Hard thing placement, double ammo, fast monsters, respawning monsters, cheats disabled.

Nightmare was added as a joke in a patch. It's there purely to hurt you.

I've been meaning to ask you this, but what modifiers are placed on your "Pray to God" skill level? Is it just pistol-only Nightmare mode?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigEyeGuy posted:

Rise of The Trade was the first game to let you aim up and down
As mentioned here

Still blows my mind that this game runs on the Wolf3D engine. It's absolutely amazing. This is probably an exaggerated comparison, but in my eyes it's like the equivalent of Crysis being done with the Quake 2 engine.

I really, really have to play RotT some day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah. Also, E1M1 is a raygun.

And what's holding it? Why, it's the Slough of Despair! :chord:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bleedbackwards posted:

I still don't quite understand what happens. You're supposed to die, right?

The canon is that you die and are sent to purgatory (The Shores of Hell) if I remember correct. What's odd about this scene is that it's, well, scripted, and I can't recall anything else in Doom like this.

You would think that the teleporter brings you to a dark room with a damaging floor with demons that wreck you, but this isn't the case. Even turning on God Mode and noclipping yourself into the room kills you and I still don't understand how :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ToxicFrog, you might want to read this article and figure out why your comparing of Doom to System Shock and Ultima don't really hold any ground. How a game looks and behaves is only part of the formula. The other is how it feels.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reive posted:

I can't play either without using software rendering, I HATE the lovely smoothing they do to textures in OpenGL, and high-res textures don't look good on low-poly models.

This. Quake 1 in software rendering makes it look gritty, just as it's supposed to.

Hardware rendering in Quake 2 shits all over the textures. I have no idea how they hosed that one up, but it makes all of the models look like loving blobs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

Are there any sourceports that can emulate software rendering completely in hardware? Software rendered Quake, but in 1920x1200 goodness.

Wasn't there also something about GLQuake getting the texture lookup wrong so you end up with the wrong textures in some places?

I think Fitzquake does this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

I think the GLQuake texture issue is fixed as well. Are there any known problem maps for this?

I remember the underwater effects in GLQuake were really annoying. The game's engine would force the underwater geometry to distort, rather than putting some kind of low-res wavy filter over the display like the Software render would. I'm not sure if that's an adequate description, but you could try running vanilla WinQuake and taking a dive in the river of e1m1 and doing the same in vanilla GLQuake, you'll see what I mean.

It often causes weird holes to appear and clipping to happen with the wall geometry, depending on how it's structured.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

The PC version can look like that, but I have no idea how to do it. The texture quality is there, but everything still ends up all washed-out :(

:ssh: Software rendering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Wait, did you just say Doom isn't about confusing level design?

You must be one of those poor lost souls that played Doom II or Plutonia before the first game.