Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reive posted:

Still looks like rear end to me, then again I adore me some pixels, I wish there were a good modern Quake port that didn't filter the textures at all.

You can turn off the texture filtering in Doom ports to preserve the grainy look, can't you do the same in Quake ports?

Johnny Law posted:

Fitzquake, Quakespasm, and probably DirectQ: gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR

And if you're really picky: r_particles 2

Edit: http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

VVV And another happy customer!

Welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

x!te bike posted:

I think brutal doom is totally fine as a gimmick joke wad like simpsons doom or something but when people treat it like it's the only way to play the game it seems really weird.

e:typo

Why is it weird? I'm ok with people treating it like it's the only way to play the game if it makes it that much of an enjoyable experience for them. I think some people have said that some wads are too hard in Brutal Doom, but I definitely haven't seen anyone blame the mapper or anything and I'm sure if they tried it in vanilla Doom they'd have even less fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I'm not saying loving with the wad author's intent is a big deal or anything, but maps aren't designed with the brutal doom balance changes in mind so some of them end up difficult to the point of being unfun.

Uh so you agree with me?

I mean my whole point was that Brutal Doom makes some maps way more difficult, and if someone really likes Brutal Doom over vanilla Doom they probably wouldn't have fun playing the map the way it was meant to be played. The only way I'd take issue over this is if the player criticized the mapper for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

You said they'd have less fun if they tried the map in vanilla doom. They'd probably have more fun because the map wouldn't be balls hard anymore.

I'm considering this absurd scenario where someone plays and enjoys Brutal Doom because they're tired or bored of the mechanics in vanilla Doom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

In some cases, I can see the argument, because if you change the gameplay too much you might as well just play another game instead of Doom.

I don't understand how that argument is supposed to make sense. At what point does "you might as well just play another game" come in? Like, if I make a mod that adds CoD-style gameplay I might as well play CoD? What if you're changing the gameplay "too much" to create an experience you can't find in other games?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Zandronum use a newer version of gzdoom as its base? If so, I might get back into making lovely mods to play with my friends.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think it's a newer version of Skulltag, actually. Which is basically saying that yeah, they're related to (G)ZDoom renderers.

I know that part, but Skulltag split off from an old version of gzdoom and they never ported over a lot of the significant updates that came in successive versions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Sgt Mark IV (the Brutal Doom guy) is a pretty drat good mapper, if this new level is any indication. Probably one of the more convincing city-themed levels I've seen.

Holy poo poo, now that's what I wanted Earth to look like in Doom 2.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Including a rail gun in a game with no real vertical axis was really a stroke of genius.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I just finished Brutal Doom's Campaign mode (the default doom 2 campaign). My bloodlust has not been satiated. I must have more.

Are there any other maps, campaigns and other things I can use with brutal doom? is there a modified version of Doom 1 or anything?

You can use any map with Brutal Doom, just be warned that it came make some of them far more difficult than intended.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How exactly would one go about replacing Brutal Doom v0.17's rifle sprites with Brutal Doom v0.18's? I really love the newer version, but I can't seem to figure out how to replace them.

At first, I thought you could basically extract the relevant v0.18 decoration files and drag/drop them into an extracted v0.17 (since the files are pretty much identically named, just different images), and then repack the mod, but that seems to break the whole mod for some reason--nothing Brutal Doom-related works afterward. I've also been instructed to repack .pk3s from the root directory (c:), but trying to do that causes 7Zip to flip out and refuse, citing that "access is denied" and that it can't open a .tmp version of the .pk3 file.

I just want Brutal Doom v0.17 with these rifle sprites :negative:

That's strange, dropping the sprites from one to the other should work fine. Are you using SLADE?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Snips posted:

What's the best way to play brutal doom? I tried running it in zdoom i think and it didn't seem to have any of the neato features like aiming down sights, new weapons, all that much gore, throwing barrels or the bird or really any neat features that were in the trailer at all.

Latest build of gzDoom: http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Nope. Shub-Niggurath is a real fake name from the Cthulhu Mythos.

e: :argh:

Then again, the Cthulhu Mythos manages to sound pretty racist itself.

Oh no, I got beaten to the Lovecraft cat joke.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spaz Medicine posted:

It was such a big deal they actually patched quicksaves into the game. I like the checkpoint style, but it's good to have both options.

Yeah checkpoints really didn't work all that well in Far Cry since it was a very methodical game with large open levels, so it was very easy to waste half an hour of effort spent setting up the perfect approach. In Just Cause 2, however, I love that I can play it how I want without having to go out of my way to save. When you screw something up, you never waste much time and there are no real penalties.

Korendian Leader posted:

You can think this and also dislike the gameplay and aesthetic changes that brutal doom introduce to the game. They're not mutually exclusive positions.

Yeah, you can. It's just when you get on peoples' case for liking a different approach to the game that you enter crazytown, which tends to happen more towards Brutal Doom players than pistol start dudes. I can't remember if it was Tiger or not, but someone a couple pages back was lamenting that people had the absolute gall to request that a wad be made compatible with Brutal Doom.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 23, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brutal Doom 1.0 will be a fully realized remake of Ethnic Cleansing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiger Schwert posted:

There's an interesting comment in the Brutal Doom sourcecode. Right at the start of the GORE3 text lump :

pre:
// Watch how the plasma magic can instantly turn an average white guy into a friend of the family faster than Rap.
// Plasma Deaths.

Alright let me be real for a second here, there's a non-zero chance he copy-pasted some code from another mod and didn't notice the comment. I know I saw some equally crazy poo poo when cribbing from a bunch of wads to make my own.

However that doesn't mean I'd be surprised if the Brutal Doom author turned out to be one of those guys.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

And already the autists are coming out of the woodwork to defend the joke. Just because the game is fun doesn't mean you have to approve of every single facet of it, dudes.

I'm kind of curious to see what people will say to defend that poo poo but I just know it would make me angry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's safe to say the Brutal Doom dude has problems.

I don't want to think about the process of painstakingly creating sprite renditions of corpse photos :stare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Another version of Brutal Doom Arsenal was released today. It's a considerable improvement over the original--but still an alpha. I think the overall quality of the firearms has been improved, although there are a few turds in the bunch (like the double-barreled shotgun, which has sits perfectly still when fired). Also, even though each slot has 3 or 4 weapons available for it, you can only carry 1 weapon per slot at any given time. I don't particularly mind that, but I'm sure a lot of people will have issues with it.

What am I supposed to use it with? It errors out on the latest gzDoom SVN and Zandronum.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you sure you're using the latest GZDoom version? I'm using r1535 (from Mar 02) and I'm not having any issues with it.

Yep, that's the one I'm using.

quote:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "UltimateBrutalArsenalAlphaV02c.pk3:decorate.mp40" line 3:
Unexpected '1' in definition of 'MP40'

Edit: Got it working, for some reason loading it up in the launcher wasn't working but dragging and dropping the files onto the exe worked.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guillermus posted:

There is still some disortion. Back in the days I just shrugged and kept playing but today is a thing that annoys me. Eduke32 is a good source port but I hate that they put so much effort on polymer and they never tried to make multiplayer actually work.

Yeah I've never managed to get a decent multiplayer game going with any of the source ports - even on a LAN, they'd always lag and desync like crazy and were far worse than just running the game in DOSBox and turning on its IPX mode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

So is this worth purchasing if you already own the GOG version?

If they ever come out with working multiplayer, then yes.

I assumed the initial release would have it, which is pretty disappointing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I hate to be one of those PC game supremacy types of people, but thinking about it again, the slowing of shooter games could definitely also be attributed to the rise of the controller and consoles over mouse and keyboard.

You shouldn't have to excuse yourself, it's pretty non-controversial that gamepads force lots of restrictions on what you can do in an FPS game (verticality, for one).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

You can do verticality just fine on any modern console controller

No, not really. Quick response along the Y axis is a requirement that went out the window with dual analog sticks.

quote:

you really just cannot demand quite as much accuracy in a fast time frame.

Yeah, ok.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

For those of you hungry for more information on the new ROTT, here's your chance to meet the multiplayer characters. One of them's a skeleton.

A smoking skeleton.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duke it Out in LA: "God drat, my apartment is lovely"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brovstin posted:

I'd argue that Hard Reset had a great deal of enemies that were annoying as hell.

I couldn't stand the game past the first level. Very large bullet sponge enemies that move much faster than you do are not fun to deal with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Warrior is ridiculously difficult and I have no idea how someone could claim that Blood is harder

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Convex posted:

Thank God they finally added a cvar to cap FPS :)

Holy poo poo finally. Vsync fucks up mouse movement and letting it run at 800 FPS causes all sorts of weird warping beyond the normal screen tearing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a dick move but I can't say I'm too broken up about it all the same. A lot of sprites and such in the mod scene are stolen.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but for a while the Doom community was tearing people apart for daring to use assets from community resource packs in their own mods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hard Reset. It's like Doom in that you move incredibly slowly, all the enemies are faster than you, and everything just tries to ram into you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hard Reset is a turd and it's hard to argue that I'm just looking at Doom through rose-tinted glasses since I still play it regularly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jblade posted:

What kind of issues are people talking about when they say they need bmouse.exe? Is it more of a general feel of the mouse control? I didn't have any issues with the free SW released on Steam, or Blood - I have played Build games forever and ever though.

They're talking about the hosed-up vertical mouse movement, but it's not like Build games played any better back when they came out.

Anyway, source ports like I assume this version of Shadow Warrior is using don't suffer from that problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're not even advertising multiplayer support for Shadow Warrior, are they? I'm still waiting for them to put it into their Duke Nukem 3D port.

From DN3D's product page:

quote:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition will continue to receive feature updates including Steamworks-enabled online multiplayer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can turn the texture filtering off if you want. It's not hard to figure out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is there any actual footage of Reloaded? Every article mentions it looking great, but I don't think I've ever seen running footage of it.

Someone mentioned it was like one of the polymer required mods - Duke Nukem Eternity. Which looked cool from the youtube footage, but the polymer made the dang thing unplayable on my 6 year old beaten down PC.

Speaking of footage though, check out gameplay footage of Shadow Warrior. I stumbled across it a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX7vNIivcig

Polymer is unplayable on every PC.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scyther posted:

A retarded bullet sponge. Yeah this is totally better than regular Icon Of Sin. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is actually

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

Update on multiplayer for Duke3D Megaton Edition:

Understandable but it would've been nice to hear that a while ago. I'd assumed they'd cancelled it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Brutal Doom has been afforded a weird "legitimacy" that stuff like, say, Project MSX, or, if you want to get really old-school, Batman Doom, have not. I've seen it here, and at other gaming forums- this isn't being advertised so much as a gameplay mod, but something that "makes Doom Doomier", implying that it's true to Doom's gameplay, which is only true superficially.

Part of my problem with the complaints about Brutal Doom is that they often seem to be a case of someone not liking a thing that lots of people like and feeling like they know better. It's not the mod they have a problem with, because they can just not use it. It's the community that gets turned into the "problem" and that's kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I remember back in the day how much *gushing* the PC Gamer staff over Star Trek Elite Force. I never understood why after playing a demo. Was there merit to the infatuation?

I thought both games were rad as hell when they came out.