Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Ack, before the last thread ended I was complaining about music and someone posted a couple of handy links leading to Doom 1 music projects and the old thread is completely lost. I never bothered with the links because it was kind of late and unbookmarked the thread without thinking.

Can anyone repost them?

Also I sort of half-assed this 3DO music wad for Doom 1 together that only covers the twelve tracks that were actually in 3DO Doom. Wasn't sure which other maps to assign the 3DO tracks to, open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

small change posted:

I'm using GZdoom and installed the latest build I could find of beautiful Doom. It doesn't seem to really change anything though. Am I missing something on how to get it working other than inserting the files into the Gzdoom folder? The wads for the games I'm using are from that Doom collectors edition that came out a few years back.

The links to Real Guns seem to be out of date too.

You're dragging and dropping the Beautiful Doom wads onto the GZDoom executable right?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mantle posted:

I want to play this mp with someone. Pm me if you want to organize a game!

I think it would be great if someone would set up a Skulltag server or two for our collective use. It's very easy to do and some cooperative games could be really fun. Great thing about Skulltag's server browser is that it can automatically seek out and download pwads that clients are missing so any goon servers could just have a rotation of cool custom wads without issue. I'd like to do it myself but my connection is fairly terrible. :(

Speaking of Skulltag and wads that are fun to play cooperatively, I'm a big fan of Hard-Doom, which uses custom monsters to be exactly what it sounds like. It's not an original idea but I think the execution is better balanced than most.

Unrelated wad suggestion: ZPack, a ZDoom community megawad full of fancy visual effects and neat stuff the likes of which never fails to enrage the people at Doomworld. Call me a heretic but I really enjoy seeing what people can do with Doom's classic gameplay in limit-removing ports.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vita posted:

How do I use 10x.wad and brutaldoom.pk3 with Skulltag co-op? I can host a server just fine, with IWAD DOOM.wad and additional wads/files set as 10x and brutal doom, but it doesn't seem to be working.

In what way is it not working? What is it doing? Any error messages?

Just marathoned No Rest for the Living, absolutely great set of levels. Most fun I've had with Doom in a while.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea about Brutal Doom until this thread, by god it's a lot of fun. Seeing all my old Doom monster friends eviscerated in such over the top ways followed with a smug gently caress YOURSELF is unbelievably satisfying.

Shame it doesn't want to play ball with 10x Doom, I wanted to gib hordes of the fuckers.

I haven't had any trouble using it with 10x. You might shift around your load order.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Songbearer posted:

The enemies leave blood effects and the hit effects are the same, but all the cool kill animations (Headshots, guts leaking out etc) are replaced with the default animations. I'll keep playing around with it, this could be my next stressbuster game.

Oh you're right, I hadn't even noticed. 10x.wad itself isn't terribly complicated but I'm not anywhere near confident enough in my knowledge of this stuff to try and merge its actor spawn code into Brutal Doom.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

co199 posted:

It's called No Rest for the Living, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever played. Difficult, but fair. Will give you a run for your Doom money.

I don't know, I thought the complete mess of Imps and their Cyberdemon friend on the last map were a little unfair. :(

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I IDKFA'd and tried just emptying infinite BFG ammo into that swarm. I still died about a dozen times.

Give me Deus Vult 2 any day of the week.

I was playing with Brutal Doom and ended up spamming the special berserk kills, during which you're invincible, and somehow managed to survive in that fashion until the Cyberdemon had splattered nearly the lot of them. Thinking back on it now it probably would've been best to run off the elevator over their heads and fight them in the maze rather than getting mobbed in the corner.

Either way it's still a really great set of levels. That "Vivisection" map that builds outward from a central circular room was really cool. Also I guess that I just really like good hell-themed maps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT:
While you're at it, could someone tell me how I can play a two-player co-op Doom 2 campaign with my friend? I can't seem to figure it out. Shouldn't we be able to connect to each other's IPs or something?

There's probably an even easier way but for playing with friends I always set up a server using the server browser client that comes with Skulltag. It has a nice GUI so it's extremely quick and easy to do.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I got that far, but I didn't really know what to do with it.

Load up Doomseeker, go to the File menu and hit Create Server.

Pick your iwad and add any additional wads below that. Keep in mind that people connecting will need those wads to join, but if they connect through Doomseeker it will attempt to automatically find and download those wads for them.

Set your difficulty level and lives in the Rules tab, you can put in a server password on the Misc. tab, and you can set all of your extra flags with the other tabs (fast monsters, jumping, crouching, whether or not you respawn with equipment in coop, etc.) When you're done hit Start Server at the bottom.

With your server running you can either type console commands into the text field at the bottom or use the menus at the top to change the map and so on. Go to the File menu and hit Join Server to do exactly that.

To get your friend to connect either have him find the server with the Doomseeker server browser (he'll need to hit the big red arrow to Get Servers before it'll show up there) or have him start Skulltag as he would normally (with all of the appropriate wads) and type "connect YOUR EXTERNAL IP" to join.

If you want to control your server in-game, set an RCon password on the Misc. tab. In-game open the console with tilde (~) and type "send_password YOURPASSWORD" to give yourself control. You should then be able to use commands like "rcon changelevel map01" to make things happen.

Hope this all makes sense. It's pretty easy to figure out if you experiment a bit, even for complete networking dunces like myself.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

treat posted:

Yeah, if you toss up a server you can simply type the IP in console to connect.
code:
connect ###.###.#.#
Actually getting a server to appear on the master list can be a chore because it requires DMZ, firewall access, and if you're ISP blocks the port you're SOL.

With that, just got a new monitor and OpenGL problems are solved. Stronghold server should be going back up this evening.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364121

Stronghold owns, what's your server IP?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Chinook posted:

A year or so back, in an older FPS thread, I was introduced to a mod/addon for Doom which used a bit of actual jumping, big levels, lots of enemies, and so on. I can't remember the name, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it on the list in the OP. Shot in the dark...

There are hundreds of wads that fit that description. You have to give us something more than that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Been playing Doom itself again recently too. I think that I finally agree with the people who say that Doom's map design is better than its sequel's. Everything in Doom 2 is so abstract compared to the more realistic-looking areas in the first game. Also all of the city stages just suck rear end. :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's only a replacement for music in Doom maps or custom maps that specifically ask for music from Doom. You'd need to modify the wad to get it to play in Doom 2 maps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Quirk posted:

Oh hay, that's what I came to post. I'm working on a music mod and texture mod to give doom a new feel. Is this too out there to be e1m1? http://tindeck.com/listen/stkr

I like it :D

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

So I tried out Brutal Doom and drat, this is pretty awesome. Most of my old complaints about Doom still stand, but somehow they don't matter as much anymore. I installed the R3D textures and they look pretty good, too; going to give the DHTP textures a look as well and see which I prefer.

A few questions, though -
  • Are there any high-res sprite packs?
  • Any other recommended visual upgrades?
  • The enemies seem really sparse, far fewer than I remember - does it ramp up later in the game, or should I turn up the difficulty (will this add more enemies, or just make the existing ones nastier?), or should I install 10x Doom, or what?

There are quite a lot more enemies on Ultraviolence than on lower difficulties. 10x doesn't work perfectly with Brutal Doom, it overrides a lot of the custom enemy behaviors and deaths.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Quirk posted:

I don't play games really these days except for Doom and as such I've been hellbent on trying to conceptualize the greatest version I can. I really know jack poo poo about how the game itself works though. How hard would it be to start implementing features myself? My ideal game of Doom:

- Plays a situational soundtrack depending on how immediate the current threat is.
- If your health is 100+, the game switches to fast montsters until it drops again.
- 3D, the kind with the cheapo glasses, maybe the red/blue kind.
- Voxel interpolation rendering of sprites when they're between angles.

That last one is kind of a wish since I don't honestly expect that anytime soon.

There's already a branch of GZDoom that can render voxel objects. At this point it really just comes down to recreating everything from Doom in voxel form.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

The canon is that you die and are sent to purgatory (The Shores of Hell) if I remember correct. What's odd about this scene is that it's, well, scripted, and I can't recall anything else in Doom like this.

You would think that the teleporter brings you to a dark room with a damaging floor with demons that wreck you, but this isn't the case. Even turning on God Mode and noclipping yourself into the room kills you and I still don't understand how :psyduck:

According to the Doom Wiki it's unique sector type that ignores god mode, steadily drops your health to 11%, and ends the level when it falls below that point. It also prevents your health from falling below 1% so you don't actually die.

Also made a great end to the shareware episode.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I feel like you guys are thinking about this more than id ever did.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Reive posted:

I can't play either without using software rendering, I HATE the lovely smoothing they do to textures in OpenGL, and high-res textures don't look good on low-poly models.

You realize that you can disable the smoothing in GZDoom right.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

It didn't (at least not in the graphics department), but I have enough nostalgia for Unreal that I can overlook that, which isn't the case for Quake I, unfortunately. I'm totally willing to admit it looks like rear end, though, whereas I genuinely still think Doom looks fine, good even, with only a few exceptions (the bushes on certain outdoor levels, for example).

Yeah, I didn't really play these games at the time that they came out, other than maybe fifteen minutes of Doom and quite a lot of Wolf3D's shareware episode. Only really started doing the Doom thing many years later and like most sprite-based games it still totally holds up. Can't say the same about Quake or Unreal just because early 3D has aged horribly.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You guys are crazy, I use the hell out of the regular shotgun. Just bind a reload key and hit it on a regular basis, it's not really a big deal.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yeah... there's a few stoic doom purists that HATE KDiZD and pretty much everything else its creators have made.

I will never understand these people.

Pretty sure people on Doomworld literally hate fun.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

To be honest, nothing they say about AEoD is actually wrong. It all comes down to whether you find that kind of thing entertaining; they don't, I do, and I respect their opinion.

Saying "I don't like this thing" is a pretty far cry from "worst WAD of the year".

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've grown to accept Doom 3 over the years. Maybe one day I will also accept Doom 4 for what it probably will be. :shobon:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Convex posted:

Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it'd be nice to get it done automatically...

e: grammar

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I recently played through the doom rpg phone game. I was wondering is there any sort of Doom mods that add some sort of XP/RPG system to the game?

Psychic

In addition to new guns you can use a bunch of rad magic attacks that can dramatically change the way you play. Monsters spew out coins when they die that you can use to buy and upgrade weapons, powers, and unique special items. It is awesome and for a while it was The One Wad I was using to play all megawads. Can't possibly recommend it enough.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That and I don't know that any source port ever actually got skeletal animation which is fairly key to the concept. Maybe Doomsday did?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

I've been playing no rest for the living recently and I wonder why we couldnt get levels of this quality in vanilla doom 2.

Making levels for first person shooters was still kind of new when Doom 2 was being developed. No Rest for the Living is well above average for modern Doom maps anyway. It's really good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hexen always sucked. The very first map was really cool and atmospheric and then you get to the second map and it's a stupid hub leading out to a bunch of lovely mazes that you're going to have to spend forever stumbling through to find all of the keys or whatever you need to progress. It's the worst kind of Doom map design and it totally ruins the game. Also there's like no enemy variety and each class only has a handful of weapons so it gets really boring in addition to being an unfun slog through endless unremarkable corridors. :bravo:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The problem was that switches could affect things on totally different maps without any actual indication of what or where. Frustrating.

Hexen just really disappointed me at the time. The graphics and sounds and, you know, the stabs they took at something approaching "atmosphere" in the Doom engine were really very cool but the level design just squandered all of it. I never actually tried the expansion or sequel, maybe they were better?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I always feel like 3D models lose a lot of the charm of the classic spritework.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

Here ya go! 10x.wad for ReDoom and Brutal Doom. Enjoy!

This is amazing, thanks!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah, can't get nuts.wad to load with 10x alone, much less with all of the additional poo poo that Brutal Doom spawns. Poor Doom engine just can't handle it.

edit: this owns

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 10, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I wish Hard Reset had faster player movement.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Encryptic posted:

Out of curiosity - is it designed to add extra monsters as well as the other difficulty tweaks? I swear I keep encountering more monsters that aren't normally there when playing regular Doom II in Ultra-Violence.

Ultra-Violence itself adds more monsters but Brutal Doom doesn't.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

Is there a WAD I'm supposed to be using for Brutal Doom? I downloaded it and all I see is a .PK3 file.

Just load the pk3 like you would any wad.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

We should really play HL2JKS because it's fully radicool.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Also joined the Steam group. Hope there's someone who can run servers or this isn't really going to go anywhere. :ohdear:

If someone wants to rent a general-use server or whatever I'd be down for helping to pay for it but I don't have the time or know-how to maintain it myself. I'm this guy on Steam, shoot me a message or just post about it here I mean whatever goes dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

treat posted:

^^^ Renting a server would be more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, what with switching between so many games and mods. A lot of hosting companies don't always play nice/won't host obscure and dead mods, either.

Gameservers rents out Windows and Linux servers to use as you please. They're stupid expensive though.