Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
I like Real Guns Hardcore, a mod for gzDoom and Skulltag that brings the weapons from Modern Warfare 2 into Doom and Doom 2. It also replaces monsters with random harder versions. There was some controversy in the old thread about this mod, as some people were of the opinion that it ruined the feel of the game. I don't agree, but to each their own.

Anyway, it also adds reloading and knifing, as well as grenades. It's also in active development, so bugs and such will be fixed pretty often.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Here's a gameplay video I posted right before the old thread closed: E1M1 of Ultimate Doom with Real Guns Harcore and gzDoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8U7Y1EXcw

It also works well with Oblige maps if you want random goodness, though the Cacodemon overlord can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Like I mentioned before, I'm on a mac, so I'm new to Skulltag (downloading it as soon as I get home) so I'm not 100% on this, but would this mod work for me? I'd love to play it.

It should, just set Skulltag to open with the .pk3. On Windows, it's adding a -file filename.pk3 switch. Skulltag / gzDoom also supports multiple wad and pk3 openings, so if it comes down to it just drag the doom or doom2 wad and the RGH pk3 onto the skulltag icon, should open them together. You'll know if the rgh pk3 works when the main doom screen has a MW2 soldier on it.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

grognard.jpg:

I really do love old shooters. I feel like the genre hasn't produced as much gold as those early years, and I'm hoping we see a real rebound as gaming grows large enough to incorporate niche players.

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

co199 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 23, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Another RGH vid, this time of the first TNT Evilution map. A little more challenging than E1M1, simply because RGH automatically sets the difficulty to Ultra-Violence and then adjusts damage according to what difficulty you set. In some capacities, RGH is a little overpowered in the weapon department, but once you get over the first levels and into maps with some heavier duty monsters, the challenge goes up as there are beasties that can one-shot you.

Just like MW2, the Glock and the SPAS are overpowered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QnXzaLiF0

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Does RGH encourage it, or are you just playing Doom wrong? Dude. Autorun on, no Y-axis, never stop moving for anything. Anything :colbert:

RGH is a pretty neat mod all around though. It's amazing what people can do with this old engine sometimes.

I'm playing Doom wrong, I know. This is what came up in the old thread: some people hate RGH because it makes Doom less Doom and more tactical. I'm a stupid dork that loves COD, so this is right up my ally. I get endlessly entertained by making random maps in Oblige and then playing them in RGH. I should turn in my Doom card.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Thompsons posted:

How exactly do you do this? I'd love to play RGH with Oblige stuff, but I'm kind of a dummy and don't know how that works.

Generate a map with Oblige, then grab the WAD that it generates, ctrl-click on the RGH pk3, then drag both of them to the Skulltag / gzDoom icon. Should start up the Oblige level with RGH.

Alternatively, since I haven't been playing without RGH, append -file RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3 to the gzDoom shortcut, then just drag the Oblige map to your shortcut. It'll prompt which IWAD you want to use (Ultimate Doom or Doom II) and there you go.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

small change posted:

The links to Real Guns seem to be out of date too.

This is the link I posted earlier to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

The thread is a year old, but the most recent revision should be on the Mediafire links in the OP of that thread. Filename is RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

This wasn't that hard to make so I did it for you:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XYYWK7VB

Make sure you create a shortcut to skulltag and make the target bit look like this: ...skulltag.exe -file RGH_1_11_2_Skulltag.pk3 nazimonsters.pk3 so the files load in the correct order.

I didn't do much playtesting so I don't know if something gets broken later on, but there you are!

Textures, sound and code from the NAZIS mod: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29815

~~Modding Note~~: The only thing that really makes it incompatible with skulltag is the use of the A_CheckSightOrRange function for bullet whiz sound effects. I really wish the skulltag devs would get over their feature freeze thing and implement the 10 or so extra functions that zDoom has, since they can add a lot to the game.

I gotta thank you for this, dude. It's loving hilarious nailing Nazis with the .50. Played through the first 3 maps of Ultimate Doom with no problems.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Let me know if you guys run into any problems. It took me like 20 minutes to throw it together and I only checked out the first couple levels of Doom 2, but I'll be happy to polish it up some more since you're interested in it.

The only thing I've noticed is the SS Guard in black with the machine gun doesn't have any sounds played when he fires. Using skulltag 0.98e alpha May 2011. It's not a showstopper.

The other thing I've wondered is if it's possible to get either Real Guns 2 or Real Guns Hardcore to recognize normal / replacement monsters as capable of giving EXP. I have no idea where to start in modding this stuff or else I'd have figured it out myself.

co199 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 1, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Ok, I fixed the sound issue and implemented XP drops for all the monsters. The amounts might not be appropriate for every Nazi, but I tried to base them on the monster class they share with RGH (Hitler will give you 600-700 XP, a Guard will give you 5-10 XP).

Straight up Nazis: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0686J0T

Nazis with RGH (Only compatible with RGH!!!!): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UHCXECK

Link to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Again, remember to make a shortcut with "-file **RGH filename** **Nazi monsters filename**" so they load in the correct order.

If anyone has issues, send me a PM if you can so the thread doesn't get spammed up. I didn't bother to decompile the scripting for the experience drops to see how it actually works, but I didn't notice any problems when I played through a level.

Holy poo poo dude, you are a fuckin' boss. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried with the RGH-specific build, played the first two maps of Ultimate Doom, the first map of Doom 2 and an Oblige map and had no problems. All the Nazis give out appropriate exp in Classic and Hardcore mods, in the Arcade mode they give out a ton of exp, which makes for some hilarious levelling up after killing like 5 dudes. So much fun.

co199 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 1, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Ok, I found the problem - there was an infinite loop in the spawn code that kept giving enemies more and more XP every second.

Here's the fixed version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y83B48G8

Keep using the old one if you like the crazy XP, but I figure you'll get some hilarious crashes in a long map. I'm not gonna balance out the XP rate, and running without the RGH spawns probably results in monsters. If you want to fix it yourself you can download SLADE and adjust the values in actors/nazis.txt in these two lines for every monster:

code:
CYBR A 0 Thing_SetSpecial(0,226,613,0,random(5,10))
POSS A 0 A_GiveInventory("XPAmount", random(5, 10))

Awesome, thanks very much.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Wow, No Rest for the Living is balls out, ain't it?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

This is...brutal. :v:

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone else have FPS issues with the smoke in Brutal Doom? Whenever I use the chaingun or blow up barrels, I get a serious drop in FPS.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

They call it 'Knee Deep in the Dead' for a reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j59YVUETA0

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I know its been said but how is that extra doom 2 (XBLA version) episode called? I'm aware that is :filez: for PC, im not asking for a link.

It's called No Rest for the Living, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever played. Difficult, but fair. Will give you a run for your Doom money.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

treat posted:

I'm also interested in some music wads for both Doom and Doom2. Recommendations?

Mute in-game music, place entire Slayer discography on repeat in background? :v:

co199
Oct 28, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Having only played Doom properly for the first time recently, I will say this for it: it's amazing just how much of a "WHAT THE HELL?" moment the ending to episode 1 is, even this many years on.

I really think Knee Deep in the Dead has and will continue to stand the test of time from a game design standpoint. It has excellent pacing and keeps the suspense up while very slowly ramping up the difficulty. I still remember as a 10-year old how scared I was of the two Barons at the end of the episode. Now that I'm closer to 30, all the enemies in the game are more like old friends, but I'll be damned if I don't jump when I'm in some dark map and I hear that Cacodemon hiss.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Im seriously having fun fighting for RoTT and Marathon, instead of CALL OF DUTY IS BETTER THAN BATTLEFIELD!!! makes us look :corsair:

Rise of the Triad, Marathon, Doom, all these games were groundbreaking in that nobody had done a first person shooter that well before. From a game design standpoint, they were more about playability than flash, although a fantastic sense of art direction helped them too - people remember imps from Doom - it's one of those iconic gaming monsters.

I love Call of Duty and Battlefield and they were innovative in their own way - Battlefield for the massive games, 32 on 32 or more, and Call of Duty for bringing that gritty, realistic, Saving Private Ryan feel to gaming. It's a natural evolution of gaming, I think.

That being said, I will always have Doom installed on any PC I own until the end of time because nothing beats grabbing a cold beer, cranking up some old-school thrash and blasting demons for hours on end.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I think Dynamix would like a word with you. :colbert:

I'm making a distinction between "old-school" and "new school". IMO, Tribes is up there with UT99 and Q3A in landmark competitive FPS game. I know there were games before Battlefield that brought massive player-on-player action, but if you ask anyone today what game is synonymous with massive matches more than 6-on-6 matches, it's Battlefield (moreso with BF3 coming out).

To an extent, I see Call of Duty as an extension of the Counter-Strike mindset - a modern, tactical, small-squad shooter with fast matches, more than the epic, drawnout slugfests like Strike at Karkand.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

moms pubis posted:

And who could forget the part where you had to get to the thing?

"poo poo! Some cowboy just cut me off!" <- The only thing I remember from Q2.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Quake 4 (ugh)

I'm probably alone in this, but I really liked the first half of Q4. The whole space grunt thing is my bag, and I thought they did a decent job of writing the (admittedly throwaway) soldiers in your squad. I had a "meh" reaction to the second half of the game.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

Best bit about the video is the John Carmack - I know this man has had a major role in not only creating some of my favourite games, but also the genre, but I can't help but laugh at how fully he embodies the nerd stereotype in the way that he dresses, talks and behaves. It's like watching Prof. Frink from the Simpsons.

If you've read Masters of Doom, this really reinforces what the author talks about in his description of John Carmack, especially the "mmm" sound he makes when he finishes talking about an idea. Carmack is on the top of my list in terms of favorite figures in the gaming industry, but he really embodies "nerd" in the older videos.

Also, is that Killcreek Case in the early part of that video? I know she was around during the Q1 era.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Hussar posted:

What the? Where did these dudes come from? Too bad he ran into an empty section of the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkXB2ZCQ04

Those guys replace the invisibility sphere in Brutal Doom!

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I have no problem with some indicator that I'm about to die but Brutal Doom's actually makes it hard to see.

Don't play Real Guns Hardcore then, it transports the strawberry jelly blood effect from Modern Warfare 2 over. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

an_mutt posted:

his Quake playing significant other

That would be "Killcreek" Case.

Also god drat do I miss PCXL. I remember vividly the "Golden Crackpipe Awards" for poo poo games.