Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love Blood, but im certainly expoiled by the source ports for Duke3d, Doom and others. Using dosbox and having clunky mouse aiming doesnt help at all. drat ATARI :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Source is coming on close to 8 years old, and as far as I'm aware NMRIH was planned before HL2 was even released.

It's not quite as old as Goldsrc but it's getting there. It's only through constant updates that it manages to stay relevant.

Still, Source engine is a part of the actual "modern FPS" games, also HL2 is from 2004 and this thread stops on 1999 (Quake 3 released on Dec '99). Deus Ex isnt even here being from 2000. Im not meant to be picky but looking closely at what we have here, anything past that era is QUITE different.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Specifically, you can extract the weapons from dead Revenants and Mancubi by taking a chainsaw to them.

Yep, Brutal Doom has chainsaw surgery now.

I just launched doom 2 and tested it, loving brilliant so far v13 is my favourite release :allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unless you want to use your retail CDs, there is no reason to not buy Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Descent 1/2 and id say Unreal from GOG (last one gets always super cheap in steam often too). No DRM and you can pretty much lay any mod/source port on them, and if you somehow gently caress up, just delete the whole folder and reinstall. No DirectX, framework or other 3rd party cept for DosBox wich you can choose to not install.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is easily the worst thing on the internet.

How can you say that, its amazing :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's Nine Inch Nails. It fits with the thread. :)

Speaking of sneak peaks, trailers and questionable soundtrack decisions, here's a few seconds of something REALLY dumb I've been working on for kicks lately. It involves... Birthday Parties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIxfwrWtdc

What the hell im watching :psyduck:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Doom The Way Id Did is out! It's a full, three episode tribute to the original Doom, attempting to carefully emulate Id's mapping style as closely as possible.
Since it's all-Vanilla, it'll work with basically any gameplay mod you deign to throw at it, if you like mix-n-matching. :)

Quoting this because i've been playing the first 4 maps, and while they're different, they feel familiar and is a good thing. You think you're playing John Romero's maps... in a good way. Im just starting and feels like the best wad i've played in years (coupled with brutal doom).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

He (John Romero) actually popped into the development thread to give advice and answer questions.

If thats true it worked because they feel solid and could pass for another 3 chapter expansion instead of an user megawad. If there is someone that doesnt believe me, try it out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Take in mind that WGRealms 2 is a mashup of various games and plays quite different from Duke Nukem 3d. Aside from that is a really fun game and HARD.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Aeons of Death version 6 has been released!

Im having this problem with this mod and have no idea of whats going on, i have the latest GZDoom that runs Real Guns Hardcore, Brütal Doom v13 and so without problems. Any imput?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

No you don't. :)

Cheers, i always looked in here http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/index.html and everything worked for me but that one :saddowns:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Imapanda posted:

Why isn't Red Faction 1 on OP? :colbert:

Red Faction was released in 2001, if we had it on the OP, Deus Ex (2000) and Soldier of Fortune (2000) should be there too. Tribes 2 has a line on the OP because its free like with its predecessor.

I loved Red Faction 1, and wouldnt mind it being in here too. Its also on sale 50% off on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20530/.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

And here's that changelog!
I've been really enjoying going through Doom the Way Id Did with this.

My only complain wich is a minor one, is the voice for "gently caress yourself" feels wrong since he changed it after v0.11. Other than that he keeps making this mod better. Oh and the shotgun lacks the front tritium sight wich i dont get why, but the new sound and sprite when its on the ground are both great.

New trailer is freaking awesome with Serious Sam 3 theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samQ-Xxc1M4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:pcgaming::siren: Old School FPS 75% off! :siren::pcgaming:

Red Faction 1 (it works in win7 64bit without problems) is currently 75% off on steam, its 1.24€ for Euro users and should be 2.50$ for US goons.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20530

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Plagman posted:

:psyboom:

Im not going to reply this with technical language but with this: Polymer is pointless because it eats resources for breakfast. Instead of that, most Duke3D players would love better 3d models because right now the good old vanilla sprites are better. There are quite a lot of stuff they can improve instead of wasting time on polymer, wich is for most players skippable.

Also calling everyone whiners makes your :smug: tech talk hit the ground because if something had this thread in abundance was respect between goons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That reminds me of the time I got Half Life and had to upgrade from 16 MB of RAM to 48 by buying a blazing fast 32 MB RAM stick. Or the time I got a 16 MB Voodoo 3 GPU so I could play Turok 2.

I bought a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in 1999, had an AMD K6-III these days and could play Unreal 1 at 1280x1024 using glide without ever going under 40fps :allears:

I miss 3dfx cards so much, i had a voodoo 2 and 3 and lasted me years, without worrying about drivers like today with nvidia and ATI: 'will this version work or will they bring more bugs?' gently caress that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I usually call Quake 1 engine as IdTech 1 excluding Doom due to its lack of room-over-room. Doom always been "doom engine" for me :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree with that because Jesus Wolf3d was ugly even on its days, i never liked it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Then Doom came out in 1993 and I realized FPS games were rad.

:hfive: This basically for me, Doom, then Heretic, then Doom 2, then Hexen, then Duke3D. 1993 to 1996 were the years that made me love FPS games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom makes Alien Vendetta quite a lot harder. Zombie soldiers, sargeants and chingun guys are more accurate (but they aren't hitscan enemies either if im not wrong), imps leap to melee, and pinkies deal more damage than vanilla to say a few examples. Your weapondry is better overall too but i found that the improved enemies kinda outweight your weapons in AV unless you know the maps perfectly. Thats my experience of course, wich was better with Doom The Way Id Did or UAC Ultra wads.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

victrix posted:

Download link! :mad:

He really needs a webpage, this mod needs more exposure

Its in the OP.

Where you get the following link to ZDoom forums:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920
If you do a quick google you'll get the Skulltag thread wich is also valid as both threads have the latest 'public' release.
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

I think this mod is pretty well known already to everyone that likes Doom and is still looking around for new stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thats because he only updates the threads with 'official' releases and not testing betas.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heretic II was developed by Raven and published by Activision, so It's in the same boat as the rest of Raven's games, exept for Quake 4 wich was published by Activision but now Bethesda owns the rights because of their ID partnership (ID used to be with Activision aswell).

That doesn't explain why it isn't on Steam or GOG.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

Wad opinions.

I agree with E1 being the best episode in Doom, while the others are just not as good, but still better than most (if not all) Doom 2 ones. At the other hand for some reason (may be Brutal Doom gameplay changes), TNT and Plutonia are quite nice and right behind Doom 1 episodes in terms of quality for me.

Is there any mod that ports the super shotgun and enemies from Doom 2 to Doom 1? Want to try E1 facing a mancubus or a chaingun guy where I normally face normal zombies or Imps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's entirely possible, but there's a few reasons why nobody really does it.

Yeah I understand this, was just for messing around. With Brutal Doom shotgun balance i found myself using the SS less overall because the added pellets/accuracy makes the vanilla shotgun deadly with the headshot mechanic. I posted a while ago (it was in the previous thread i think) this pic:

(my own hosting)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins you're my favourite thread OP. DTWID is by far the best map pack i've played.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well i hope it is Doom 2 The Way Id Did Doom 1 instead because i dont like the city levels (i know it's been said already) but i agree, enemies and the SSG make up for that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Even Brutal Doom Lite is really incompatible with most of the mods out there, so far it worked fine with Real Guns Hardcore for me. Ultimate Torment and Torture gave me an error while trying to play the second level. I don't know if load order will do for you but try to load brutal doom lite after Weasel's mod.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gently caress Marathon, I'll just keep kicking the face of an imp wich is trying desperately to hold his own intestines, but only after showing my middle finger. You can enjoy fighting bland aliens.

(Just kidding, i like marathon but i grew with Doom).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Another typical anti-intellectual who doesn't have the attention span needed to do a little reading and critical thought. No story in my games, just kill kill kill I'm done!

Real talk though, I'm pretty much the opposite: I like Doom quite a lot, I just grew up with Marathon. Actually a lot of Id/Doom/Romero level design practices were my own guidelines for making levels too. I feel like modern games, even good ones, focus too much on spectacle and have really bland level design. That's why Hard Reset disappointed me -- even though it was allegedly a callback to classic FPS gaming, it had ultra-linear "baby's first shooter" level design, and none of the depth and exploration of the good classics.

Did you just register to missread posts?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 12, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom subject, quoting from Skulltag forums:

Sergeant_Mark_IV posted:

About Cyberdemon's weapon, I will enable the player to use the chainsaw to get his weapon after killing him with a fatality. Fatality for Cyberdemon will be just like any other enemy, but I will modify Cyberdemon's painchance to have a 100% chance to enter the pain state when getting punched in Rip and Tear mode, this pain state will last the double as the normal pain state, and will give time to the player to run away before the cyber can stomp him.

The only thing i can think right now is :flashfap:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes, oh yes, Brutal Doom 0.15 on Friday, got a weekend to replay Doom the Way Id Did with it :woop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:pcgaming:BRUTAL DOOM 0.15 IS LIVE!:pcgaming:
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904
Get it, tear it, rip it :black101:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Join Kazvall's server, there's people (me!) playing right now :dance:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fun Final Doom games and secret hunting on Wolf3d!

Kazvall there's a Skulltag 0.98e version just in case you want to update your server. Skulltag.com has 0.98d and Skulltag.net has 0.98e :iiam:.

Ah, didn't notice the alpha thing sorry.
\/\/\/\/

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 4, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love you goons, I've put more hours on Doom since the latest Brütal Doom update than on Space Marine, Saints Row 3 and Skyrim together :allears:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love how the body just flies around without limbs after getting killed by a nearby explosion (and flying to the correct direction too!). They just just hire this guy for Doom 4, Brütal Doom 4 :c00lbert:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Cinema for Max Payne 2, too. Goddamn that was so much fun.

Kung-Fu 3.0 and Ultimate V7 for Max Payne 2, Cinema and Elements of Style for Max Payne 2... I'll never play both games without these mods, they're just so loving awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I downloaded Brutal Doom .15 and honestly, it's pretty disappointing. All the new sounds suck, the rifle and shotgun look way too similar, and I really miss the old secondary fire for the chaingun. Why does everything good have to change?

The new secondary fire gives it more use. Most of the time when you needed extra rate of fire you had to ditch it because you couldn't move, and if you didn't need to move is because you had enough range, so most of the shots would miss making other weapons a better choice.

A thing that i agree is the old 'gently caress YOURSELF' sound was better but everything else got better in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Haha agreed, Danny Glover is awesome and now i want to edit the old sound into 0.15a :v: