Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I'm about 90% sure that it's not a filter. To my eyes that entire game looks like it's made with normal mapped sprites. If you look close, everything's getting billboarded despite having detailed lighting and shading.

You can get the billboard effect in 3d by chopping out the interpolation between the different aspects in the 3d models but they could be sprites, only way to tell is to see them do something that only a 3d/2d object could do, the gun pickup objects are 3d though.

Have you looked at a full screen shot of the game? There is one hell of a screen door filter on it which you can't see in the little videos. It looks worse than any game I ever played I don't know what old school they're going for, old school portable TV look?

'

The first gen VR headset experience.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I found an old dev tweet saying that it's all sprites like Amid Evil (or flat polygons I guess, can unity even do sprites?) and the lack of shadow maps on the enemies and items would support that.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

This screenshot makes me want to put on my glasses and I don't even wear glasses

Just move about 1.5 m away from the screen and its fine, simple!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, fair enough, but for the Datadyne HQ, on easy, you can get by with shooting everything and everyone, and you're ok. Goon I was advising was stuck on the first level. When they get to Chicago, well.... that's a whole other n-grenade.

If you're playing on easy you can just jump off the roof at the start and fall into the exit elevator, easiest level ever.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ularg posted:

Something that bothers me a lot about the HUD is that the Armor counter is on the left and the Health counter on the right.

Yeah that's really annoying for such a small thing now that you point it out.

doctorfrog posted:

What bugs me is that I can't stop seeing the face as a reflection, and he either has a very tiny head or a very large helmet.

It's important to always know what you look like so you installed small screens showing your face in every helmet.
Was the face-cam in doom added just for fun and to fill up a space or did some people in testing actually get confused by not being able to see their character?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

In practice it usually doens't look this good especially with a N64 controller, mostly missing the light and having to run back to the helipad repeatedly.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I say we bring back the face cam to all FPS games.

Let's not do anything too hasty.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

Wasn't Nitemare 3-D all done by one guy?

3 people it seems.

But good news you can still buy it!
http://www.dgray.com/n3dpage.htm

System requirements:

"Any graphics card, including on-board."

No poo poo.

The dev for it did make Hugo's house of horrors by himself though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

he protec

but he also attac

But most importantly he don't understand that

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

I love Marathon, but...like it in what sense? I wouldn't say no to a new old-school shooter with a space-opera setting since we already have Dusk for horror/weird fiction and Amid Evil for fantasy. On the other hand the most unique and memorable thing about Marathon as opposed to other series is its highly involved story, and that concept has been taken up in virtually every modern shooter up until the latest wave of deliberately story-light retro stuff.

Was marathon's story good or just dense and complicated enough that you think it's good?
I think it was the 3rd game which (spoiler in case someone wants to play it) Starts with the impending doom of the everything and keeps jumping back in time to try and find a timeline where the sun doesn't explode and release a space monster but it also just had chapters of a unrelated book sprinkled through the game for no reason other than to make it confusing and the whole game just gets more and more complicated from repeated time travel.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fishmech posted:

If Bungie staff had been taught what a "visual novel" game was before they finished Marathon, it's be all they ever released from that point forward. The whole Marathon story reeks of wanting to be told in that fashion instead of terminals in a mediocre 2.5d engine.

Yes, the story is engaging and has some good writing but it's basically playing through a solid shooter (sort of solid shooter if you're playing 1) to find the next page of a book.

And then 3 just has stuff like this in it

This whole mess (spoilers again).
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/dream.html

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47O-887d2v4

Time to think about 20 year old games some more....

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

what port are they running this on?

edit: oh gdx, wasnt there a problem with this engine compared to the original dos version or am i thinking of something else? thinking about starting it up since nightdrive have gone all quiet on whatever it was they were doing.

They keep updating it every few weeks so it's always better, in the video there is an example of a difference that's still there with the spider bite effect.
I don't think nightdive were doing anything with blood anymore since they couldn't come to an arrangement.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

:pcgaming:

BloodGDX guy "Well, gently caress me I guess"

Do they have the source code and the rights to make more blood levels/games/mods?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played blood. What’s it like?

It's the most polished build engine game of the time probably.

chaosapiant posted:

Build engine games field weird to me and I can barely get into Duke 3D.

And you'll probably get destroyed by the 2nd level of it since it's harder than duke 3d.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

You're allowed to sell a reverse engineered code?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Of course, otherwise Strife: Veteran Edition would be impossible to release. Disassembling and reverse engineering is perfectly legal if you're authorized to do it. You are not allowed to do it on property you do not own and have no rights to.

Does atari or WB have the source code?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bobinator posted:

Powerslave.

In his spare time the guy reverse engineering blood for nightdive is also reverse engineering Powerslave (3d version and maybe build version) for nightdive.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the dusk devs actually seem to 'get' old fps games and actually made a modern-day game that perfectly recreates what they were like while being otherwise a very solid and fun experience without any of the hassle involved with getting some of those older games to run. i'm only a couple levels into episode 3 but it rules so far.

It's good BUT there's this weird thing where there's all these free packs for doom, eduke and quake that do the same thing but better. I didn't mind paying $20 for this but I could also see my self downloading it as a quake level pack (the levels are the star). The bosses and graphics are really rough in DUSK though, the bosses are all basically the same thing and the graphics (models, animation, effects) are (intentionally?) worse than quake I guess that makes it easy to make and have everything fit together.

What I'm trying to say is I wish there was a way to compensate the people who spent 100s of hours to make these really great level packs or TCs for other old games so I could continue to enjoy the old school shooter gameplay and new ways it can be expanded.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 9, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ep3's proactive disabled guard dog is probably the most adorable enemy of the year.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

I know where to get the first two, but I've had a heck of a time finding out where you get quake packs. When I try to search them up on google, I get individual geocities websites for single maps and stuff like that, or lots of quake 3 arena maps.

Well start with that xmas jam that's got a trailer a few posts up.
Usually there's a trailer for the quake packs or levels and there will always be a link under the video.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't really get people saying that Dusk looks "ugly". Sure the weapon models are pretty bland, but a lot of the environments are absolutely stunning, especially in Episode 2 and 3.

The character models look less like 90s 3d FPS enemy and more like 90s 3d RTS unit.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've never really run into boss fights i've thought were stellar in old fps games so it's about par for the course with dusk

The better bosses are more in the TCs and mods that came later (2000s, 2010s) where people thought more about how a boss could be more than just a blob of hitpoints that you strafed around.
Bosses need a variety of different non-hitscan attacks (one you have to jump over, one you have to strafe, bullet hell attack etc etc)and switch it's attacks as the fight progresses, occasionally have a gimmick like an environmental weapon to attack it with or have the environment change or be destructible or be able to spawn minions.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pathos posted:

Is Chasm: The Rift playable anywhere? I must have played through that demo like 100 times when I was a kid. Never ended up buying it for some reason but, man, I loved the demo a whole lot. Is the full game any good? I haven’t thought about Chasm in loving ages.

It's on most of the abandonware sites for dosbox, it's pretty good honestly not a must play but you could do worse.

Bad: level design is boring and flat.
Good: you can shoot vikings heads off with a circular saw launcher.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 10, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Metroid Prime had fun boss fights and there had to have been at least one good one in the Bioshock games, right?

Metroid Prime had good bosses (probably because they had to try and convert the feel of platforming bosses to 3d). Can't remember anything but bad Bioshock bosses.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

on the subject of bosses and all of that, i just beat dusk and it was incredibly loving rad

that ending sequence and the game's levels in general: :discourse:

I made the mistake of saving during the triple boss when it was almost dead and discovered when I came back that it has a wonderful bug that turns the battle into a no-hit, no-ammo battle if you load in that fight the bosses get all their health back.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I think it’s broken under DosBox, or maybe that’s just the level editor, I don’t remember.

The game isn’t that good. It’s a weird wannabe Quake that’s trying its best to hide the fact that its engine is closer to Wolf 3D. Any height variation or what looks like complicated level geometry is just a model that you can walk on.

Wait it's not running on the quake engine? That would explain the flat levels.

Also how is project warlock? I've only just seen it on steam.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Are the second and third episodes notably harder? First episode is pretty easy, I will replay it on the next difficulty on the weekend.

Just play it on the 2nd to last difficulty it's the right balance of not wanting to get hit but not instantly killing you if you do that the last difficulty has.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

when was the misogyny introduced? maybe my memory of duke 3d is bad, but aside from the whole 'shake it baby' thing i dont remember him being particularly misogynist. DNF was loving awful in that regard, but i'd hope any future projects would just ignore that whole chapter.

also i still hate randy pitchford for cheating that guy who was doing the duke 3d remaster thing.

I don't think he was ever a misogynist even in DNF, with all the crass hedonistic behavior you never get the impression he hates or is prejudice against women.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 12, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres the holsom twins thing and his reaction to it that is real bad

If you're talking about the bit where they died that seemed more because he's a tone deaf 1-dimensional, emotionally stunted character than only thinking of women as objects. He'd probably say something equally bad if his best bro or dog got killed in front of him because he can't manage normal human interactions. The writing for the twins seems worse than him.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 12, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

All the talk about Duke being an awful character tends to gloss over the fact that his games are also bad

No.
Just most of them. If you take all the good levels from 3d and some of 2 you almost have one good game.

DatonKallandor posted:

Great level design, for the most part. Awful enemy design for the most part.
Nah they're fine

(ok they're terrible).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

al-azad posted:

Let me tell you about this game called Blood...

Blood's hitscanners have some kind of "accuracy" in their code or something, I don't know but you can dodge and duck and they miss you a lot and the weapons felt a lot more powerful than duke3d's.

Blood's Pre-Caleb protagonist though:

Woof

Vikar Jerome posted:

Romero just streamed some stuff from E5M3 and it looks fantastic. holy poo poo that soundtrack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348219753

So he's finally decided he's bad at running a game company and making games and gone back to what he was good at?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

In Nightmare, the ogres in Quake will continually fire grenades as long as you are in line of sight, regardless of whether they have any chance of actually hitting you. You get real sick of clank clank boom before too long.

Clank clank?
more like
Doiiink Doiiink

Offtopic a bit does anyone know the origin of this explosion effect? It appeared in a LOT of games (and still shows up today sometimes) along with the Duke3d rocket explosion and couple of other big fireball explosions.

Was it on a pryo disk? Do we know who made it?
And how do you did they record a keyed background explosion/flame without edge artifacts anyway?!

Also on the topic of explosions that turn up everywhere

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 14, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ETPC posted:

the disc was called pyromania iirc

I was thinking that:

wasn't part of pyromania but it's there "ZeroG01"

Pyromania was made by VCE Films which was started by a man called Peter Kuran who worked on stacks of movies doing miniatures and FX, including Empire Strikes back. So next time you see one of those explosions remember there's a little bit of Starwars in them.
(most of the other explosions and fire you saw in lots of FPS, RTS, space shooters etc etc all drew heavily from the pyromania disks in the 90s and early 2000s).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Upload pyromania to archive.org

I love kitschy stuff like that.

You could still buy the disk from them last time I checked so I don't think I can upload it.

david_a posted:

You have one of those discs? What does the explosion look like on there - is it a noticeably better quality video? I suppose it would be illegal, but hypothetically could someone make replacement higher quality explosions (higher res, higher color depth, smoother animation) for games?

Edit: I found a review of one of the later Pyromania discs. It answers some questions about what’s actually on those things.

Edit2: I found a video of a similar explosion reel.

Yes it's much higher quality they were 800x600-ish uncompressed files and there are 2k and 4k dvds now. The ones in games chopped down in res and have less frames + any other edits for color/shape/speed etc that the artist wants. For example the explosion in Duke3d is a combo of parts of a couple of pyromania effects stuck together (the other pyromania explosion gif from Cyberia I uploaded last page is part of it for example).

You can make it as high quality as your hardware would allow. I don'd think there are too many limits for the source ports now (sprite limit I think still?). A lot of mods for them do this already but it can end up looking out of place.

The octo-brain's projectile attack

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 16, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lambert posted:

Never forget

(Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - they provided faked screenshots to the press, and even on the back of the packaging they had bullshots; fancy lighting effects and majestic explosions were edited in)

They didn't get too far off the mark at least, oh and the real PC shot has infuriating craters right in the middle of the base as per regulation.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

In Dune 2000 you could rebuild concrete slabs to make your base pristine again.

The Dune 2 slabs and Warcraft roads were things I missed in the C&C titles. Sure you could base-walk by building sandbags but it's not the same.

You can rebuild concrete in Tiberium sun too but it also had ground deformation where big explosion would make craters and knock the ground down a level and you can never fix it or build on it after.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Didn't like it, looks like the filters you put on a snes emulator but maybe I'm biased from playing with the pixelated art so long.
I believe they said they hand touched up the art after putting it through the neural net so it's not all computer driven.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The future is now, old man!

Linguica posted:

The wider attention to the neural upscaling mod began after I asked hidfan to neural upscale the Cacowards to (I think) great effect.

I agree that it looks slightly weird in actual usage but I also think people tend to underestimate how much detail it adds. When I play with it on I think "this looks about twice as detailed as the originals and it seems pretty good but not perfect" and I don't even think about the objective fact that it's actually FOUR times as much detail. Even if something seems a little "off" there is still a lot of hallucinated detail in the upscales that I just accept as normal and not even new at all.

I'll give it credit the way it makes the points of the spikes and teeth pointier and rounds the blobs here (I won't be happy till I see what it does with the cyber-demon and caco butt) looks really nice, is the process available on github like the one the morrowind one?
Be cool if they could make a neural net that takes the drawn shadowing of a sprite and rigs a normal map for it without the need for a 3d model the same way you can make a normal map from a photo of something lit in a particular way.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

The dude behind that reminded me of the DirectQ (Quake on Direct3D) author. Both guys were doing really promising work then they completely vanished due to unspecified personal reasons.

That's life, you can't really be mad at them they're doing it in their spare time and probably burned out.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I feel like you could at least spend 2 minutes to leave a parting message.

The kind of person who attempts such a project probably has social anxiety so the thought of having to come out and say "I can't do it anymore sorry to let everyone down" would probably make ghost it and never look back very appealing.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Im playing Shadow Warrior 2 for the first time and I want to spray a water bottle in the face of everyone involved in this loot drop/customization mechanics.

You don't like hundreds of samey items you have to slowly sort through to see which one gives the best .1% stat increase?

the nucas posted:

uh can you think of any examples of this? because i really don't remember this happening.
Many console FPS/TPS after halo had one.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

I'm not bothering with any of it, so good to hear I won't need to.

There's some that have drastic effects but you don't get many of them so they're separate than the endless "5 points fire damage" type ones.