Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

What takes longer?
- any of the hub 1 levels in Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

The answer may surprise you! :shepface:

I'm approaching the end of the game (level 3 of Act 3) and I can generally agree with your post. The game's nailed that "nonspecific edgy dark sci-fi/fantasy from 20 years ago" aesthetic, but I'm not sure it's entirely deliberate. Combined with the massive maps, the result gives me a sort of perpetual amnesia--I forget things about the game almost as soon as they're behind me. I find myself unable to recall any specific details of the previous dozen maps; I don't know what the plot is. A ghostly figure exposits at me, but it's so generic that I slip into a trance the moment the words appear on screen.

And yet the game's not bad...it just feels like a first draft of something, prior to the fat being trimmed and the mechanics being tightened. It's like those similarly sprawling levels from Boltgun: too loving big and purposeless. I see what Civvie says when he calls it a weird game; the seams are visible between the stages of its problematic development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Black Mesa is half life with better graphics (until xen when I tap out), and all I wanted out of Black Mesa was half life with better graphics so I'm generally happy with it.

I've never played the Metro games before but have somehow ended up getting all 3 of them for free. But I have Metro last light complete edition on steam, which is unlisted in favor of last light redux, and i have LL redux on gog. Does anyone happen to know the difference between the complete edition and redux?

To my understanding, Redux has everything Complete has, plus revised graphical aspects. For Last Light Redux, the revised graphics may not be substantial, but include little things like new melee animations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I love the Metro games. Unsurprisingly, Exodus gave me particularly strong STALKER vibes, and I ended up playing it in its entirety twice, which I rarely do with games like that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I've always thought rhodeisas were a bleh flower, so if you're a rhodesia guy, just forget about it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s an awful trailer if it’s meant to be selling a game

Remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_41JpwqdE

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't checked (yet) but if you told me the marketers for STRAFE were the same people working on BEARS IN SPACE, I would not even be surprised

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have 52.3 hours in STRAFE and lust for FPS roguelites and even I won't say it's an especially good game--even after (several?) foundational updates that significantly changed and improved the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite FPS Roguelites (in no particular order) have been: BPM BULLETS PER MINUTE, City of Brass, Immortal Redneck, and Ziggurat 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Curious about Ziggurat 2. The first one wasn't bad but got repetitive fast because of the level design (way to few "seeds") and lack of enemy variety, is it an improvement?

I'd say it's definitely an improvement over the original in most ways, and one of the more solid FPS Roguelites out there. One of my biggest complaints is that there are a bunch of bosses, but for some reason the devs gave most of them the same HP and no weaknesses or resistances. The result is that they feel samey with the exception of a few novelties, like the Mandrake boss that can make illusory copies of itself.

Turin Turambar posted:

Best one is Gunfire Reborn, imo.

Yeah I've heard good things about this one; I should check it out one day

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

catlord posted:

Ooh, I really liked City of Brass, though bizarrely to the point where I almost wish it was an entirely different game so I could keep exploring the city. I have Immortal Redneck but haven't given it a shot yet.

How are the weapons? I had to give up on the first one because the slow drip feed of weapons kept giving me ones that a) filled the same slot so most of my weapon slots were empty, and b) they all sucked so no matter which one I had, I hated it.

I like City of Brass because it's not a particular aesthetic I see too much, and it has this cohesive & distinct style where there's a realism to it but also an exaggeration of features and proportions that is kind of cool.

It's been a couple of years since I last played Ziggurat 2, but I want to say that the weapons might have been one of my favorite things about it. There are some redundancies and duds in the mix, but there's still a considerable variety of tools at your disposal. The general weapon "feel" is also improved over a lot of FPS Roguelites (at least of its time) in my opinion.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Redo Mikiko's VA work with Awkwafina talking about farts and taking shits in library study booths

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Squeezy Farm posted:

Thats nasty dude. Why are you thinking about and mentioning such things?

I've had the Scuttlebutt song stuck in my head all year and the only way to release the curse is to pass it on to ten other people

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

And I will play Phantom Fury

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

This is the thread's "I Am Spartacus" scene from Ben Hur but for people who will play Phantom Fury

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't agree with these two points, while the levels were massive and I rarely got lost or confused, relative at least to the size of the levels, so it wasn't that bad. And I completed the game with usually having my ammo levels at 70% without using the blade (except for the zombies).

I actively avoided using the melee weapon because I'd heard it was OP, and while ammo was frequently tight, I almost always had something to shoot at any given moment (on Hard as well).

On the other hand, there were multiple levels (particularly in Acts 2 & 3) where I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where the gently caress I had to go next.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

When Phantom Fury comes out and is the greatest FPS of the last three years, the line of naysayers who will be forced to eat their hat will disappear over the horizon and I will tirelessly work to ensure each and every one eats their hat

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I don’t think my ability to choose the order of levels in Wrath lended anything to the experience, and I was shocked to learn that their difficulty was influenced by the order you played them in. It seems like such a stupid waste of time…a novelty that seemed like a farce when I first heard about it in Civvie’s video.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Dwell getting very cheeky about halfway through Episode 1:

https://i.imgur.com/ExQhifg.mp4

And then the secret map is under a different lift in the same level :argh:

I didn't realize until very recently that the "underlift secret" was a...meme? I guess you might call it in the Quake community. Wrath had an achievement that was basically "find the ONLY underlift secret in the entire game", but apparently this is a thing?

On that note, I feel like one of the most stereotypical secret spaces is "the hidden area behind the waterfall".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Speaking of, even though I only completed it for the first time late last year, I'm getting an itch to replay the SS remake. Did that patch land with all the improvements they were talking about?

I don't think so, the last patch I have visibility of is the "PATCH 1.0" they pushed out in early June last year.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta be April Fools, right? I literally never heard of that game.

skasion posted:

Literally never heard of this in my life…ahh it’s a 3DO game.

Checks out!

Now you two are April's Foolin

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Playing PO'ed on console at like 9 FPS, on a 13" TV, with a cursed button mapping that predates any reasonable layout for console FPS games, on a controller that looks like one of these

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The only true Right Wing Art is "My Gym Mommy Treats Me Like a Kid" (2023)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a BBC too

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tim Sweeney got too many noogies in junior high and now everything he does is informed by that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Deakul posted:

UT2004 is up there as one of my fondest multiplayer experiences, mostly in Onslaught and VCTF cause I loved the vehicles they added.

I think UT2k4 was one of the first times I remember vehicles feeling good in an FPS.

*I didn't play games like Halo on console

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I remember the Ross's Game Dungeon review of irreverent godawful adventure game Armed and Delirious talking about how, even if you did everything correct the first time and didn't do any unnecessary backtracking or confused wandering, the game required like 26 disc swaps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I bought FF7 on Steam and it didn't come with any discs? Please advise

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

In 5, 10 years from now I may forget the nuanced changes of the Q2 Remaster--but I will Never Forget the Berserker's heat-seeking sonic leap attack

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Those D!Zone-style commercial bundles were always inscrutable to child-me because they seemed so weirdly unprofessional, yet I couldn't conceive of where all of this content was coming from.

It was only a few years later with stuff like Build.exe that I realized this was all poo poo that random people were making.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm not going to get System Shock right away but I guess I'll put it on my wishlist for later. Never played it before.

I played a fair amount of SS2 when it first came out but have zero experience with the original, and I had a blast with the remake. Easily one of my favorite games of 2023.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

If I'm able to take the lid off of a toilet bowl tank and adjust the float, I'll know that FPS games have finally made the next big step in FPS technology

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I was forced to watch a movie with the TV's "contrast enhancing" auto-dimming and 60 FPS upscaler enabled at my dad's house

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Just for that I'm gonna buy two copies of The Last Exterminator

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

I think it helps if you remember weird and wacky does not mean "fun". Two of the powerups are just trolls to waste your time.

The only weapons with infinite ammo are the pistol, dual pistols, and submachine gun and once you have the next tier up you never, ever, ever have any reason to use the earlier tiers. Everything else not only has ammo, they share a single loadout slot so juggling to different explosive weapons is a hassle and again, two of them are basically built wrong for wackiness sake. All enemies except 2 are trivially easy to stun lock with the basic submachine gun, but the other enemies are incredibly durable/immune to that weapon so your standard encounter is just holding down the fire button at great range killing off large groups of lesser enemies and only using heavy weaponry for those tougher foes. Which goes well with how stingy it is in the base game with heavy ammo and how the weapon juggling system means you never really feel like you know where fresh heavy ammo will be, if its even a viable weapon, and if you really need it outside those limited encounters.

This doesn't touch how incredibly god awful the level designs are. Even the professional mappers in the new set have problems because ROTT has a lot issues with its textures, restrictions to the 90 degree walls, and no good way to indicate what the switch you just flipped does at all so levels become repetitive maze areas where you aren't sure if you should double back or what even to do now. In the base game it loves to put pressure plates on the floor which are barely visible in both the first person and in the map overhead and are of course required to progress.

david_a posted:

Try out Return of the Triad. It’s a ZDoom mod. It feels like what RoTT should have been if they had used a real engine.

Try out ROTT 2013 for a zesty flavour you're sure to like

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Since it's been discussed in this thread before, it sounds like El Paso Elsewhere is being made into an actual film and LaKeith Stanfield is in talks to star in it:

https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/e...e-into-a-movie/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm a bitter rear end bitch but man sometimes it's so so so frustrating to see aggressive mediocrity get rewarded.

It seems really weird, right? Like it's got less than a thousand reviews on Steam, and it looks like there are a total of four(?) articles about it on PC Gamer. I don't get it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, if you haven't seen the Max Payne movie its hard to explain how terribly 2/5 it is. It squanders not only Max Payne, but it squanders the type of movie it wanted to force Max Payne. It's like if somebody ground up filet mignon to make hamburger meat and then decided to not even cook the patties.

It's uniquely horrible in my video game films collection. Dour and charmless, but without any of the pulpy histrionics of the actual game. It doesn't even have the balls to get bombastic and fly off the tracks like the Resident Evil films.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I call my balls my "Demon Core"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Darkness 2 was great for sure, I only ever did the demo for the first one. The comics (and Witchblade of course!) are fun too. But yeah I'd say Darkness 2 is one of the better media adaptations of a non-Marvel/DC comic, really captured a lot of the appeal of the world.

Now let's get Savage Dragon a game!

editor's note: yes I know it's no A History of Violence or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), but still it's a respectable showing.

I read Savage Dragon Issue #228 and now I've got mixed feelings about what kind of game this would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

Gonna chime in with everybody else and agree that BL3 is a great mechanical improvement over its predecessors while its story is somehow simultaneously dull and a trash fire.