Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Plan Z posted:

I want an FPS that has a gun customizing system on the level of character customization in Saint's Row 2. There are so many games with character customization where you almost never get to see what you do in it, but very few games really let you get deep into customizing your weapons. Imagine people just sharing all of their cool, unique creations that evolved over their time playing the game and how much hype it would build up for a game that had it.

In the good old days of pre-patch Metal Gear Solid V, there was a very easy to perform glitch in the weapon customization that removed all the restrictions from the system, and it was glorious. Tactical long-range sniper knives, silenced hand grenades, tranquilizer grenade launchers, RPG shotguns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Calling Gloomwood Thief with guns kinda gives the wrong idea, I think. I followed the main dev on twitter for quite a while (unfollowed because he and Civvie defended industry crunch and I'm petty about poo poo like that) and he's said multiple times Thief is one of the inspirations, along with other 451 games like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, but there's survival horror elements, some From Software titles (clearly a bit of Bloodbourne in there too). It's very much an immersive sim action adventure smoothie, not just Victorian Thief.

What were they defending? Last I saw they were both dunking on that awful pro-crunch tweet about Last of Us 2 and Civvie has been pretty clearly against it any time it comes up on his channel.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The Staff of the Azure Orb is definitely a pistol.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I've been thinking about this recently: If Blood were to get a Wolfenstein/Doom-esque modern update, what would you like to see in it? What tone/setting/style should it be? What mechanics would it be built around? Should Caleb do executions?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Blood (2025) won't need a reload button, so we can bind TNT to R.

Hasturtium posted:

Why wouldn't Caleb do executions?

I guess the question is more, what kind of executions will Caleb do?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fair enough, but I'm still trying to figure out what kind of realistic purpose E1M1 served and am coming up blank (and that's totally fine, btw).

drat fine level, though.

Swimming pool.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

True story, I didn't realize until my third playthrough that holding the melee button down is what makes executions happen. Until then, I just assumed that sending a dude ragdolling 30 feet away with a single punch was the execution.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Stunt_enby posted:

what about deus ex's footsteps that make it sound like everyone is wearing tapdancing shoes

That's just petite feet. Feminine step.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Experiencing Prey (2006) for the first time, and I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't Art Bell.

Loving the way the level design fucks around with space and the cool weapon set. Not loving the full-on headfirst dive into magical Native American tropes or graphic child murder.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The game shows you the child ghosts before you meet them by having a ghost thing messily explode a little girl, and then the ghost child she turns into throws a still-living kid onto a four-foot long spike.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDlsmua8kU

Dusk speedrun is hilarious. It's 18 minutes of one dude finishing the levels in like 6 or 8 seconds and the devs getting flabbergasted and saying things like "we promise there is actual gameplay in this".

I love that, in normal circumstances, the ~10 second delay Oshry has from NZ wouldn't matter at all, but this dude is tearing through Dusk so fast he's consistently 3-4 entire levels behind.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It was speculated on Twitter last week and confirmed by the dev that being drunk in Dusk secretly boosts your melee damage. I don't know if this was already posted and am too lazy to check.

In other news, Blood still kicks unimaginable amounts of rear end. Doing a nice Halloween replay and finally going to tackle Death Wish on Well Done if it kills me. Started Sunday and so far I have almost finished E2 of the base game so things are going great so far.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Why didn’t they call it Wonton Destruction?

I’m wondering because I am currently destroying some wontons myself.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Keep your Chex Mix, the true patrician enjoys the subtle flavors and aromas of the superior Chex-based party food, Puppy Chow.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I would actually describe the Spawn games that exist as decreasingly unfortunate. The Eternal on PS1 is very, very easily the worst of the bunch, and is a turd of a game, but In the Demon's Hand on Dreamcast is a Capcom party brawler from the era where Capcom was really good at those and whips rear end, and Armageddon is a decent enough DMC/God of War clone.

And now we have the best Spawn game, Mortal Kombat 11.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Isn't this just Realms of the Haunting

Realms is more like Stuart Gordon's Doom.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

catlord posted:

I'm surprised nobody's ripped off the Arkham formula to make a ninja game.

I would love to see more Batman '66 versions of modern villains, actually. I think the comic did that a few times?

Ghost of Tsushima did, more or less.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Weedle posted:

enable high-definition textures to fix zombie barneys, but otherwise the vanilla game holds up imo

Finally unballed his fists.

Guess he's over that whole "passport" business.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love Vanquish. I wish someone would find Platinum so they could do another one like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 (and hopefully 3 still happening).

Rumor is they're still somewhere in Japan. Maybe someone can backtrace Kamiya's tweets.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

TekWar-style FMV cutaways where Marenghi berates/congratulates you for acting/not acting like the real Dr. Rick Dagless, M.D., the criteria of which is inscrutable and changes on a semi-random basis.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It's a less complicated Deus Ex with trappings to make it seem more complicated, plus a boatload of secret content and absurd side activities.

If you can get past the aesthetic, or gods forbid are some kind of degenerate who is into the aesthetic, it's an extremely tight immersive sim-lite.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Now when I play a shooter I'm gonna try to reload by holding RMB and pulling down.

I went back to Prey after Cruelty Squad and I keep accidentally alt-firing doing this.

You don't even need to reload in Prey! Though this has taught me there is in fact an alt-fire for the grenade crabs.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I actually didn't find Trauma Loop that bad. Cruelty Squad HQ on the other hand...

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

skasion posted:

AE has one weapon that feels really good, the star of torment. Good animation, good damage, good alt, great feedback in the form of nailing your enemies to the wall. I think the key there is that you see the guy do something with the weapon and then poo poo happens. The other weapons, even when they’re actually really good, the guy is just kind of holding them there doing nothing while mana comes out of them. Idk how to fix this apart from come up for a bunch of cool moves for the guy to do with his wand.

The Star of Torment is a Super Shotgun in disguise and a Super Shotgun is always going to look good and feel great.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Iconic power couple

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

What is the Quake version of the Cacowards? The Shubchievements?

The Fuzzies, named after the Shambler's canonical design.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Started replaying DUSK for spooky season.

DUSK is still insanely good.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

How much Randy DNA is in Borderlands these days? I stopped playing the first one after 4 hours because I don’t like that Diablo poo poo where you’re constantly swapping out equipment for stuff with slightly better stats.

Sounds like the new Borderlands has Randy spraying plenty of DNA.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I think this is the first time ever I'll have finished a new FPS before the Civvie video. I almost had him with Cruelty Squad but those last couple levels were killers.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Picked up a few boom-shoots I was interested in during the sale. My thoughts so far, about the games and their shotguns:

Ultrakill - Rules rules rules. I've been meaning to pick it up forever but was always too intimidated to pull the trigger. Doing literally anything makes me feel like a badass. Boss fights are intense as hell and recapture that catharsis I used to feel in my earliest Dark Souls days. My only complaint is I'm old and can only keep up the required level of focus and energy for about an hour a day before I have to go take a nap. The shotgun is amazing because you can punch the bullets to make them explosive.

Hedon - I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but it's turned into a standout. Magitek goblin orc society vs. shadowy death cult is extremely my poo poo and I like the general idea of an old school puzzle dungeon crawler that erupts into Doom combat every 10 minutes or so. Character designs are what I would call "Deviantart horny" so that's whatever but if you can't tell from the cover art what you're getting into that's on you. At least it doesn't seem very horny aside from that. The Fragfire is one of the secret best shotguns I've seen, nice and thumpy it doubles as an actually-good flamethrower.

Forgive Me Father - It's alright. I like the presentation except for the forced letterboxing. Voice acting is atrocious and I wasn't expecting it lean so heavily on "comedy." A bit of levity in my Lovecraft, sure, but this is Guacamelee levels of le epic memes. Level design is kind of...flat? There's some token verticality but so far pretty much everything happens in linear corridors or big box rooms. The skill tree is interesting and I like leveling up my guns into weird science monstrosities but it looks like the entire tree forces you to choose between cooler guns or survivability and that sucks. I was looking forward to locational damage but that seems to have stopped being a thing after the first few enemies. The shotgun is very good and I evolved it into a fish, as was God's plan.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Remember when Iron Maiden refused to license any of their music to Brutal Legend, the ultimate metal album of all time with an RTS attached, because the main character was named Eddie without their permission?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

This is actually what was supposed to happen when you call them and say "aardwolf." Nobody had the guts until now.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Took me longer than I care to admit to see that he's wearing a form-fitting jacket and not a wife beater and chaps with really hairy shoulders.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Supplice keeps slipping off my radar because it doesn't sound like an FPS title. It sounds like a mouse-based management sim.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

"There were no politics at the sci-fi convention" is right up there with "I bet you think Robocop is political."

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Steam Dreck

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It's the indie dev version of a teaser trailer.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Back in MY day we...
hunted for SWITCHES to flip
Healed with MEDPACKS (no Regen!!)
had 8 WEAPONS and only 4 ammo POOLS
We wore ARMOR
And found SECRETS
ate FOOD off the FLOOR
...AND WE TURNED OUT ALRIGHT!

Only true PATRIOTS will share this!!!!!
LIKE if u love TCHERNOBOG!!! I bet 90% people won't!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

site posted:

was ergheiz the fighting game with all the ff7 characters

No, just a handful of them.