Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Max Payne 2 had some good NPC/enemy conversations too, reminded me of NOLF at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Yup! All the ROM's contents were pulled out for perusal at one point. Including the map data.

Those random sprites scattered around are placeholders for the 3D models.

Absolutely floored by never knowing this lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I read the invitation to join him on twitch in his "TO WIN THE GAME, YOU MUST KILL ME" voice/tone

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I got HL: GOTY edition for $20 with just the jewel case and it was my first real exposure to WASD+mouse and I adapted pretty quickly

640x480 in software was beautiful

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I like using the neural upscaled SmoothDoom addon, which makes everything look creepily smooth, and I also use the Fullscreen Statusbar Mod, along with the Doom Sound Bulb addon

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I'll never fully understand Nintendo. There is a 99.99% complete version of Goldeneye, the best version of the game, sitting on a Microsoft server that could easily be ported to Switch and I'm sure Microsoft would have been entirely willing to do it. Why choose the worse product, what does that achieve for them.

Nintendo, with all it's ability to just print money, makes some absolutely baffling and bone-headed decisions and I'm always amazed by it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My main experience with OpFlash was during the start of one mission, I had to hop in a helicopter with my squadmates and the AI pilot took off, hovered for a moment, and then did a nosedive and performed one of the slowest crashes into the ground I've ever seen.

It definitely wasn't a multiplayer game I was in and I distinctly remember my absolute confusion so I'm guessing it was some weird bug or something

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

As a kid, I got a kick out of hearing Doom sounds for the reindeer in The Santa Clause, of all things lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

I was all ready to buy Metroid Prime but 40 dollars for some graphics on a title that even at the time had some rough edges just isnt happening.

:psyduck: bro what lol, Prime looked fantastic back in the day

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good soup! posted:

:psyduck: bro what lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I beat Perfect Dark last year with the m+kb hack and I don't think it has aged poorly at all

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thy Flesh Consumed rules

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Assepoester posted:

IIRC it was a contractual obligation to have extra levels for the CD re-release, GT Interactive would not publish it otherwise.

And while the internet was hitting it big in the mid 90s, everyone was still on dial up, so software sales were still all boxed products.

Fond memories of that box. For years we managed to only have the shareware version and Doom 2 so I always wondered what those other episodes were like. I didn't even know my mom got it and she knew I'd be excited so I actually got to open the gift when I woke up which was both awesome and torture, because I had to wait through school before getting home to play it.

Beating Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time felt like a triumph, all with only a keyboard lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah but Overwatch screwed the pooch so there's an open hole in the market waiting to be filled

It's a shame that Gundam Evolution started off so strong and then absolutely cratered spectacularly

Still sad about that :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

still waiting for the au/nz launch lmao

LOL are you loving kidding me, that is pathetic they haven't even done that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'll be back when we're done with this gross revisionist Half-Life/Half-Life 2 Is Bad Actually phase :barf:

Between this and Metroid Prime Was Bad Actually, what the gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Artifact did give us one of the best moments of disappointment captured on video, so Valve at least accomplished something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ilmucche posted:

CSGO with goons is good fun

The CSGOons crew has been a solid crew for over a decade, yeah

(I'm biased but tell no lies)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bumhead posted:

How does one go about joining this?

I fall into the bracket of player who loves CS but isn't very good at it, and seemingly doesn't get any better at it over 20+ years. But I'm not a dickhead who griefs other players if that counts for anything.

There's a CSGO thread in PGS here with server info, a link to a discord, etc.:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

The Steam group is also a good way to connect with people and get a game going: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/gogoons

The community servers are nice - 10 people vote for captains, pick teams, vote on maps, etc., with players across a broad variety of skill levels. A bunch of us have been playing together for over a decade, and you'll only ever catch poo poo if you're a tremendous shithead or bring everyone down with Bad Vibes and bm. Most of us suck, but not me, I'm great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I had a blast with Quake II on the N64

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

When the Expansion Pak kicks in and tightens up the graphics

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

site posted:

the zdoom forums are fuckin done jfc

tldr the mod team found out a prominent poster was a child predator and their response was uhh

spoilering so it doesn't embed but video on it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5YrdarJ_7U

what the gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

turok 3 port i beg

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

The core hl1 singleplayer mods

Darkstar, They Hunger trilogy,
Poke 646?

I always think of Afraid of Monsters but I have no idea how it holds up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

So what's the paper say about tomorrow?

Another zortcher.

Cool!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You said you'd call the UAC :(

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol I haven't thought of that in years, that's one of those games that I still have absolutely no idea what was going on

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Quake 2's N64 port kicked rear end so this is great news

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Death Stranding showed Kojima to be the Neil Breen of games

:chloe:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Turok 3 is crazy ambitious for an N64 game.

I remember being super impressed by the cutscenes and lip syncing in an n64 game of all things, when it first came out

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Conker's is insane and part of that group alongside RE2, Turok 3, Perfect Dark, and maybe a few others where I'm convinced it's loving magic how much audio and poo poo they crammed into those tiny rear end carts

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Almost forgot that Romero and Carmack were hosting a twitch stream together tomorrow, and I missed this

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1720497833768341920?s=20

Explains it quite nicely

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

Our community map project The Diseases, and Casualties This Year Being 1632 got a runner-up award this year!

Huge shoutouts to granggg, LeschNyhan, Weird Sandwich, and A.o.D. for doing absolutely phenomenal work on the maps, it was a year of work and it paid off massively :toot:

lol that rules

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

szary posted:

Dusk is mid

gently caress you

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol id love to see this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

In the criminal justice class, the students are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: gamers, who play games; and the teachers pets, who snitch on the gamers. These are their study halls.

:doink:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

rare genuine good and interesting right wing art pieces is a hell of a description wtf

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

the biggest no click zone i've ever seen

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Did anybody take Acclaim up on that offer and name their kid Turok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010