Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know what would be the worst loving thing? A Duke 3D map that was just a giant open room filled with Protozoid Slimers and their eggs. No warning in the title, it just loving drops you there.

Those little bastards from hell have made me nearly poo poo my pants way too many goddamn times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zero Star posted:

I think I've figured out how to make :siren:infinite spawning Protozoid Slimers:siren: using Build.

If you shoot an opened Slimer egg with the shrink ray and wait for it to return to normal size, it will hatch another Slimer. So if you rigged up a wall-mounted shrink ray and trained it on a slimer egg, it could keep regrowing (and therefore re-hatching) the Slimers.

Maybe link it to a teleporter so they can spawn in from vents or something. I'm thinking a scenario similar to the "fight off headcrabs with a crowbar until your cargo elevator reaches the bottom of the ramp" one from Half-Life.

You horrible, horrible motherfucker. :argh:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
For anyone who's wondering what we're talking about, because of how nonspecific all of the enemy names in DN3D are, it's these little shitballs:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Well we somehow managed to reach thread number three without SlimerChat. It was a good run I suppose...

What, does the thread suddenly get lovely as soon as people bring up those little green turds from the depths of hell or something?

Also, facehuggers from Alien Trilogy are probably the scariest 2.5D enemies overall, considering that game doesn't have a really easy "get this little fucker off of me" button or easily accessible high explosives like Duke 3D does.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 24, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't know why I'm doing this, but after I heard that DarkPlaces supports Half-Life maps, I made it my mission to try and bash Counter-Strike 1.6 maps into playing nice with the engine.

The main problem: the textures don't work. As in, I have every required texture in the textures folder and it's just deciding not to load them in a lot of cases.

Is there something I'm missing other than the obvious "why the hell are you trying to load CS maps in a Quake engine" problem?

I've gone into resgen and made absolutely sure I had every wad the map referenced in the textures folder, so I'm assuming this is engine weirdness.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm thinking of setting up a QuakeWorld server for goons, since it's most likely not very bandwidth-intensive. Any maps or mods that I should throw in?

(I'm tempted to put Killer Quake Pack on, but that's kind of hilariously broken, so I won't do it without goon approval.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Why is the storm troopers leg on the gun? :psyduck:

Because Jedi Outcast is janky.

Also, am I the only person who really loving hates Quake 2's level design? Seriously, it's unspeakably awful and confusing to a degree that not many other games match.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

iastudent posted:

You're not alone.

Too lazy to watch right now, but the fact that he actually made an LP and it was good enough to get archived shows that he clearly didn't have the same problem I did (having absolutely no goddamn clue where to go because everywhere looks like a horse shat all over it).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

closeted republican posted:

It's like they took everything good from Quake 2 and replaced it with lovely and boring-looking levels

So... they replaced it with Quake 2. :haw:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To be honest, nothing they say about AEoD is actually wrong. It all comes down to whether you find that kind of thing entertaining; they don't, I do, and I respect their opinion.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo, Forsaken went free and open-source? I still have the N64 version of that, poo poo was hot fire back in the day.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Does anyone besides me really wish there was a Duke Nukem mod that didn't have any protozoid slimers in it?

:gonk::hf::gonk:

They scare me shitless in vanilla Duke (even if they aren't very threatening) and scare me even more shitless in mods.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zero Star posted:

For what it's worth, Eurogamer have today posted a retrospective of Doom and discusses the atmosphere it had. They even go so far as to say that it makes Wolfenstein look like a "cartoon shooting gallery".

I know this is slightly a derail but son of a whore I hate your avatar. It just triggers some kind of primal :tviv: reaction from me every time I see it because gently caress Slimers so goddamned hard they are designed specifically to get under my skin as much as possible.

(to the guy who posted an eduke config to get rid of them entirely you are a shiny, golden god)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've kinda got a bug up my rear end about the design flaws in modern FPS games too, and I'd like to help fix it. The problem is, I have neither programming knowledge nor art knowledge.

How much of a laughingstock would I be if I dropped $30 on FPS Creator and a few model packs, slapped together a little 10-level or so tribute to this era of gaming with the stuff it comes with, and released it? It'd be ugly as sin, since I've played with the demo a little and jesus gently caress this thing looks worse than Quake 2 in practice, and it'd really obviously stink of game-maker software, but if I managed to make something fun to play would that override that?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What the gently caress? :stonk:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've been playing Reelism lately and holy hell Internet Machine is the worst map ever

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Truthfully if it wasn't made up almost entirely of instadeath pits it would be fairly nice. Platforming of any kind has no place in Doom.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also gently caress sectoids forever especially when they're on the first wave and you get Famine or Melee Masters.

Add the Grease slot for extra "hilarity." :negative:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So Strife is an utter bastard of a game (seriously, what the hell, making one of the first sidequests make the game unwinnable is a dick move straight out of Sierra games) but I love it anyways. I really can't think of anything else quite like it, it's a bizarre hybrid of Deus Ex and Zeno Clash that predates both by 5 and 10+ years respectively.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The worst thing about the steal the chalice quest, was that in the demo it was the right thing to do, and in the retail game it screwed up everything.

:cripes:

On one hand that's loving hilarious on the other hand jesus christ that's horrible game design. Also given that it's literally one of the first things you can do in the game I don't think it merits a spoiler tag really.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior is now on GOG, if for some reason the idea of playing Shadow Warrior again appeals to you.

Racism aside, it's a pretty fun Duke 3D-alike.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've noticed there's a demographic in the Doom community that gets so angry when people build maps using, for example, GZDoom features. Like it's an affront to the entire concept of Doom. I've never understood this.

In some cases, I can see the argument, because if you change the gameplay too much you might as well just play another game instead of Doom.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I loving hate switchhunts and wandering around aimlessly. I prefer maps to have a nice flow from beginning to end.

Yeah, switch hunts are really terrible.

Earlier in the thread, someone posted a cfg addition to get rid of slimers in Duke 3D. Does anyone have that handy?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Thanks! Do I just add this to the eduke.con file in War of Attrition's folder or what?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
-snip dumb-

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, there's a lot that's awful about Brutal Doom (mostly the fact that Sgt_Mark is a huge piece of poo poo and really loves making that obvious) but gently caress if it doesn't make infighting fun to watch. The monster-on-monster fatalities are awesome.

Seriously, seeing a Demon munch on a Former Sergeant made me poo poo bricks the first time I saw it happen, because I completely didn't know monsters could do fatalities on each other. :stare:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Brutal Doom and Hell Revealed are actually insanely fun together on UV. The beefed-up chaingun is pretty much the only reason it's even remotely possible, but gently caress if it isn't an adrenaline rush.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The sound in Painkiller is perfect, what are you talking about. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Geight posted:

Finally other people that feel the same way when others prescribe Serious Sam or Painkiller as solutions for a modern-day Doom. :swoon:

People aren't really talking about the level design when they say that, though. It's more the gun feel and whatnot that's similar.

On a related note, holy poo poo Hell Revealed II is impossible, even on HMP. It's actually slightly easier with Brutal than without, but the arch-vile on MAP01 after the huge crowd of enemies at the start always fucks me up.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Korendian Leader posted:

Please don't play HR2 with brutal doom.

I attempted it after trying it normally and still utterly failing, don't worry. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus christ Scythe MAP11 is impossible on UV :stonk:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Korendian Leader posted:

It's relatively straight forward. What's giving you trouble with it?

It's not even the design of it that's giving me trouble, it's the fact that it forces a pistol start for whatever godforsaken loving reason and then throws quite a number of enemies at you. Most of which are really drat difficult to kill with the pistol or berserk fists, meaning you have to basically run like hell to the shotgun before you can make any progress whatsoever and hope none of them obliterate you on the way.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Brutal Doom kind of jacks with the game balance a bit to make things a bit harder, and frankly the Hell Revealed maps are hard enough as it is, so the two combined can result in a lot of unfair deaths.

Also, Duke 3D Megaton Edition is probably getting released Wednesday.

The first Hell Revealed is actually crazy fun with BD, even if you do have to slightly cheese the new mechanics, but HR2... :magical:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The giant pony boss would be unironically hilarious if it just was completely harmless and died in one hit like the brony monsters.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Literally every other game on Steam with Germany-safe alterations has a separate version without the alterations for other territories. Why doesn't Doom 3 BFG? Has anyone gotten a chance to ask someone at ID what the gently caress?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hexen is genuinely a lot more playable with Samsara. Fixing the absolutely awful weapon variety really goes a long way for it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
SHOGO is bullshit hard in single player and is on a really janky engine, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the mechanics and it's pretty unique. I'd be down for some multiplayer sometime.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Guys Descent is so loving good. Great level design, great gunfeel (even the plain laser is fun as hell to use), and it looks drat pretty for a game that came out less than a year after Doom.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

I agree, Descent is loving good. When I played it, I thought I was going to have trouble because I wasn't sure how well I was going to handle the six degrees of freedom gameplay, but I handled it just fine, and fighting those loving robots in twisty, cramped corridors was awesome.

Honestly, I'm just surprised at how loving pretty it is. It came out in 1994, so you'd expect it to look like System Shock or Terminator: Skynet, but it looks better than Quake even without DXX's graphical enhancements, and with them it looks somewhere between Q2 and Q3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I keep a joystick around just so I can play Descent and Tie Fighter whenever the feeling grabs me. Come to think of it, I bought my first stick of my very own to play Descent. I never found playing it with a mouse to be workable at all, though I guess some are ok with it, somehow.

Mouse to pitch and turn, WSAD to accelerate/reverse and slide left and right, LMB primary, RMB secondary. Space slides up, left ctrl slides down.

Also, I realized something interesting from what Dominic White posted. By his definition of Doom-style gameplay:

Dominic White posted:

every single enemy is slower than you, and almost every enemy fires bright, easily evaded solid projectiles. Your most powerful weapons are best applied up-close, so it becomes a game about maneuvering between enemies as quickly as possible and picking off specific targets. The better you get, the even more this becomes true; the Spider Mastermind can be one-shot with the BFG, and the cyberdemon is safest when you're within super-shotgun range and controlling its movements.

rather than Painkiller or Serious Sam being the logical evolution of Doom gameplay, it's loving Descent of all things. There aren't any hitscan enemies (that I'm aware of, I haven't beaten either of the first two) and there's only one hitscan weapon available to the player; instead, every enemy fires brightly-colored, slow-moving projectiles, and with that one exception all of the player's weapons operate likewise. Most of the enemies move very slowly, and while you're not exactly flying a space Ferrari, you're significantly more maneuverable than they are. In addition, the key-hunt gameplay is made much more fun and interesting with the addition of 6DOF, room-over-room, optional objectives (prisoners), and things like the guide bot in D2 (also better level design but that's a matter of opinion).

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 18, 2013