Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

THE HORSES rear end posted:

I really hope the next version of Brutal Doom gives players the option of disabling them.

I actually like the reloading mechanic for the shotgun but I also would like to see an option to turn it off.

I also hope the next version of Brutal Doom also gives you an option to revert the spectres to their classic sprites. While it was cool and scary for a little while to spot some red eyes and then frantically try to kill the thing, when a WAD throws 20 at you most of them might as well be truly invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I have created the Derail that will not die. :psypop:

Does anyone else get a virus pop up when they try and run the One Unit Whole blood mod launcher. My AVG freaks out every time I open it.
:arghfist::clint:

Stop using AVG, it's turned into a bloated shitpile that's awful at detecting viruses and throws out false positives like crazy. Use Microsoft Security Essentials or NOD 32 instead.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Doom 2 won't be completely unscathed though: The German version has always excluded the secret Wolfenstein levels because... well, you know.

Why can't the 3D models in Doom source ports be more like this?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I honestly think Brutal Doom gives certain monsters the ability to ignore walls if they're low enough. Scythe / Scythe 2 have maps where fences were clearly supposed to keep pinkies confined, but Brutal Doom allows them to run over short barriers with impunity.

It does give monsters new AI so that might cause weird things to happen. For example, imps can leap at you which can make some maps more difficult than they were intended to be.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The stick itself twisted left and right for rudder control.

This is the best for roll control in games like Freespace 2. Do modern joysticks not do that?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

7Zip shits itself when I attempt to insert files into the Brutal Doom PK3. I think it uses a slightly weird file system. Windows Explorers built-in ZIP support handles it fine, oddly enough.

I use SLADE for messing with wads/PK3s. It's an amazing utility.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I can't really figure out how to get Death Wish working. Normal Blood works fine in the GOG DOSBox install, but DW loads up all glitchy-looking and slow, and the movies won't work despite making sure the paths in the .ini were correct. I'm not sure how to get bmouse working with it, either.

Can anyone help?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The instructions in the readme are great, thanks! I got everything working fine except for bmouse, which I'm still not sure how to use since dw.bat runs "blood -ini dw.ini" while bmouse needs to do something like "bmouse.exe blood" and it won't accept the "-ini dw.ini"

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vaos posted:

Skulltag use a gzdoom version which is from 10 years ago, which doesn't have all the features current (g)zdoom has, so it can't run all mods. There's an alpha version of Skulltag running with a more recent version, but I didn't try it.

The alpha versions of Skulltag are slightly more recent, but they tend to pick and choose only a couple features from newer versions to add to the builds.

On one hand, they might have a good reason to do it. On the other hand, this completely ruins a lot of the potential for stable multiplayer mods.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

hippieman posted:

We've also updated Aleph One to be a better first experience. It defaults to automatic full screen to match your current resolution. It uses a pretty standard WASD + Mouselook defaults. Also, you can download each game with one single link, no more frankensteining together a scenario and game engine.

That's awesome! It always bugged me that the Aleph One team never put any time into making the whole process more inviting to newcomers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Heh, I remember people actually calling for Marathon 2 to be pulled from XBLA, back when Microsoft were considering that whole 'underperforming games will be taken off the store to make more space' policy. Bunch of tossers.

The fact that this even came up makes my mind boggle. Why do indie developers even do releases on XBLA? The whole platform seems, at best, incompetently managed, and at worst, actively malevolent towards developers.

More space???

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Ooh, neat - looks like the Worst Mod Of 2010 is getting a major update next week. There's even a teaser trailer up.

Looks drat good.

Worst Mod of 2010 is Best Mod of Forever. Why do Doom dudes get so upset about mods that aren't 100% original content?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

victrix posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Brutal Doom makes any Doom map pack 10x more fun. Even those horrible maps that make you fight imps and barons with your pistol.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

PirateNipple posted:

Here's the thread, no idea where Romero posted.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/936515

That's his first post, he makes a few here and there from the on.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 13, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

altie posted:

Half-Quake:

A Half-Life 1 mod that makes the game as frustrating as possible in new and creative ways. Jumping puzzles like you've never seen. Hopping from one end of a room to another on top of active turrets. Sometimes you'll be forced into a fixed third person view while being stuck with the same old 3D controls. And yet somehow, the pacing of it will give you just of enough of that dopamine kick when you pass the next hazard to keep you coming back to the pusher man.

Gameplay: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6
Download from: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6

halfquake: amen is pretty rad. I had no idea they even made a 3rd part. Apparently it came out last year???

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

Ah yes, the cram as many controls as possible into 1 square inch school of ui design.

I'm a fan of the "ZDL" button that pops up the very important configuration screen. It took me 5 solid minutes to figure out how to get to it - "That's just going to show me the credits, right? Like the name of the developer and a paypal link?".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Some rather pretty things are happening to Marathon, texture-wise.

Is that parallax mapping?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Here's something interesting recently released that's related to early FPS games:

Way back in 1996ish, Micropose was working on a FPS based on X-COM called X-COM: Alliance. It got cancelled in 2002, but someone managed to get their hands on a beta dated around 1998 that uses Unreal Engine 1 and put it up for download:

http://www.multiupload.com/9IS9KY2NFY

I figure this would be interesting for anyone interested in cancelled early 3D FPSes or remember Alliance back in the day.

You son of a bitch

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zeether posted:

We should do multi on Red Faction 1 at some point. That would be awesome.

Only if you like getting wallhacked by the railgun over and over.

I got really good at RF1 multiplayer before hackers ruined it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

It is. The entire high-res set's getting revamped. Originals on top, high-res 1.0 in the middle, current high-res 2.0 progress beneath.

Awesome. I've never actually seen that kind of technique used in a 2.5d sourceport before and I figure it would be a really nice way of adding detail without taking away from the old-school artstyle.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SwissCM posted:

Eduke32 has supported it for 3 years.

Eduke32 also happens to be a pile of poo poo if you try running it with Polymer.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My mind is still blown by how grossly inefficient Polymer is, even on Nvidia rigs. I've committed to the HRP V4.x packs and Polymost, which run exponentially smoother.

Yep. I keep trying to play Duke Nukem Eternity with the latest Polymer and it's never been playable. I even upgraded from an ATI HD4850 to an NVidia GTX 460 recently and performance seems to have gotten worse.

It's not that it's slower than I expect, it's that it adds these really long load times and then the game doesn't run at all. I think the developer really needs to forget about features like per-pixel lighting and focus on making everything else efficient.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 30, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Plagman posted:

Your second point doesn't really make sense to me; the point of Polymer _is_ advanced rendering features. There's already a basic renderer that's plenty fast.

There's probably plenty of people out there who are into advanced rendering features for the sake of advanced rendering features, but I think there's a lot of wisdom in reservation. One of the things I admire about GZDoom is that it does implement fancy new features, but the teams behind it take care to keep things speedy and preserve the tone of the game without making it look garish. I don't think that has to do with the larger community, just a different approach.

I know I'm one to talk, since I'm not doing much to come up with a middle ground between Eduke32's basic renderer and the crazy stuff going on in Polymer, but it's what I'd like to see.

Also, here's a couple rad pictures of GZDoom that I found:

quote:

It seems to me you're just a bunch of whiners; it's fine if you can't afford the Quad-SLI setup that you need to run Duke3D, but don't vent your frustration on others and go back to playing your ugly-rear end "Crysis 2" or "Battlefield 3".

Oh you bitch

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ectohawk posted:

I am having trouble instaling the Ultimate Quake Patch for the steam version of Quake. When I run quake, it has error messages saying it can't load the GLSL Shader or something like that. It sort of works, but most things just look white, and I can't see the levels.

The errors look like:
GLSL Shader GLSL/Default.GLSL flat color failed! Some features may not work properly.

Can anyone help? I mainly want to be able to listen to the proper soundtrack while playing the game in steam.

Here is a link to the steam forums, where I got the patch from:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923

Do you have an ATI card? Make sure you install the latest drivers for it, DarkPlaces uses OpenGL and ATI has horrible support for the standard that's only now getting better.

And try this fix if that doesn't work:

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=571

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I agree with that because Jesus Wolf3d was ugly even on its days, i never liked it.

I have no nostalgia for that piece of trash, I was busy playing better games like Dune 2 and Ultima 7. I think I played a couple levels of the shareware episode and thought "The hell, is it just mazes?" before putting it away.

Then Doom came out in 1993 and I realized FPS games were rad.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zeether posted:

So this thing came out: Half-Life Dreamcast, a port of the ill fated Dreamcast version of HL.

All I can tell so far is that it uses the hires models and has different loading screens.

There was an exclusive co-op campaign in the Dreamcast version, but I can't tell if it made the port.

Also, I think the DC version had minute-long load times.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It would be pretty easy to make Brutal Doom work with whatever mod you want if you take the time to figure out how the slade editor works . I made a compatibility mod for Real Guns Hardcore and Nazis and it just took a couple hours.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Skulltag is now open-source if you want to see how not to implement netcode.

Holy poo poo I can't believe it finally happened. Maybe now people will implement features that gzDoom had 6 years ago.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

At a guess, because increasing the updates per second would cause everything to move and animate at twice normal speed, since all the game logic is timed by ticks rather than by seconds.

Of course, you could change it to time by seconds instead; animations and everything would still run at 30fps, but I guess you'd get slightly smoother player and projectile movement?

Well, for example, zDoom runs at about 800 FPS on my computer yet the game logic is still tied to 1/35 of a second. The extra FPS is noticeable since it's tied to mouse control - I can turn on vsync and bring it down to 60 FPS but then the mouse feels sluggish.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I just found my CDs for Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Allied Assault, AvP, and a bunch of other old poo poo.

But more importantly I found a CD of DOOM II Explosion which promises "Over 2000 new levels, cheats, programs(?) and sound files." So, uh, should I rip this bad boy and put it up somewhere for y'all? I know I've had it laying around forever but I don't think I ever even used it back in the day. And this was an actual sold-in-store thing, not that the fact guarantees quality but that's half the fun. :v:

Just upload it, I guarantee you everything on that disc was ripped from newsgroups and FTPs anyway.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Really? Or just the Quake demo CD because if you bought the game in the store why would you have to buy it again from home?

e: and the retailed boxed version of Quake also had all of ids other games?

The Quake shareware CD, specifically.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is basically my thought entirely, I really don't care that people are playing with "awesome" gameplay mods, but I'm absolutely opposed to the way it's completely dominated Doom discussion here lately, and the implications people have been making that it's like, a mandantory mod to make modern-day Dooming enjoyable.

So discuss something else. It dominates the discussion because people like it, I'm so sorry that you don't and thus feel put out.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

This is not a goal compatible with using Polymer.

Polymer wouldn't even run properly on my 4 GHz quad core with an NVidia GTX 460. It's really a mess right now, and there's only one dude working on it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

iceaim posted:

Also I disagree with Capilarean about shareware not having a place in the Internet world. Of course it does.

This discussion is hilarious, because shareware only came about because the Internet started becoming popular.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

I didn't say Doom 2 was well balanced. :v:

He just needs to turn the difficulty down. Doom 2 is a pain in the rear end in Brutal Doom on UV, but playing it at a lower difficulty with Brutal Doom was still a lot more fun for me than playing vanilla.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Johnny Law posted:

Aside from that, the only fundamental flaw that nagged at me was the lack of a map. I know that with real 3D levels this is harder, but hopefully they take a whack at it. Filling out a map is one of the simple pleasures of a retro shooter, and it also makes secret-hunting more fun and helps to paper over some of the sins of having a limited palette of colors/materials/patterns/architecture for your levels.

This just made me remember the item in Doom that fills in the automap. I used to avoid the hell out of that thing because it meant I'd be way more likely to get lost, instead of knowing which parts of the map I hadn't explored.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

I finally figured out how to get Berserker for Quake 2 working, but dios mio, man, what's it called when everything stretches and distorts when you look around? I'm not sure if it artificially inflated my FOV, or something, but I know I used to have this problem with DooM....

This will happen in Doom if your fps is some absurd number like 700 and you dont have vsync on.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

When you play a megawad with Brutal Doom and complain about the difficulty or monster balance, it's usually BD's fault, not the wad's.

It seems like he'd rather cheat through a couple levels than play without Brutal Doom so who gives a poo poo. He definitely didn't sound like he was blaming the mapper, just idly complaining like human beings tend to do.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Prenton posted:

This is underselling it. I think - and this is a big thing, and I've not played with it much yet, so I may be wrong - this means you get:

- A full 32bit render path. Much less banding in the lighting.
- The more complicated FMs won't chug any more ( which they did, no matter how good your system )
- adjustable FOV
- In-built FM loader
- Works with Thief 1/Thief Gold as well. So: adds native mouse-wheel support.

This is a real Pro job. Better, if I'm honest - this comes with detailed documentation that I'd kill for at work. Time to break out Broken Triad again.

Yeah it means you install the game, install the patch, and you've got the best possible experience. That's really huge for the player, especially when you're trying to get new people to play the game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

Hey, does anyone have the AEOD 5 .wads and the relevant patches/graphics packs? The AEOD team apparently took down their downloads or something. I really miss the character classes... :sad:

I was confused for a second but then I realized that they're up to AEOD 6 now. I love AEOD to bits but I couldn't stop laughing at this screenshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Does anyone know if there's still a way to directly contact iD Software? Last time I tried I could only find a way to contact Zenimax, but somehow I don't think they would care in the slightest about the inquiry I'm interested in making. Back in the day they had an e-mail if I remember right, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

I have John Carmack's email address that I grabbed from an old .plan file when I wanted to ask a question about Doom RPG. No joke.