Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Red Faction was probably the first shooter I actually recognised as like, an entry in a genre (we didn't have a pc that could particularly run 3d stuff very reliably, and before that I'd only really played alien trilogy and demos of quake 2 on the PS1) and I thought it was extremely cool as a kid - to be honest I still think the story is pretty interesting as shooters go but the VA is absolutely dire.

It's also the first shooter I had with a deathmatch mode so I got to learn that I was actually quite good at shooters at the exact same time that my dad learned that he was actually quite bad at shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

vanquished boner posted:

is heavy gear 1 or 2 better, i totally forget :sweatdrop:

They're pretty different, but 2's probably closer to a "traditional" fps being that 1 is more like a heavily modified mechwarrior 2. 2 is much harder though iirc.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

What I'm curious about is what's the difference between parallax and normal mapping in this case.

Normal mapping determines which sections of a texture appear to be lit when hit by a directional light source - which gives the illusion of depth, whereas parallax involves different layers that move (or rather, are moved at different speeds when the player moves, also giving the illusion of depth. Think objects in the horizon in a 2d game moving slower than objects in the foreground, only on a smaller scale.

I don't think normal mapping is really possible or at least wouldn't be as effective in doom, mostly because light isn't really directional in it, though I'm sure someone will be able to correct me on that.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I don't think arena shooters declined for any particular issue or culture change with them; I think it's just more likely that there can only so many people that play shooters and it means the space for multiple shooters to coexist at once is very limited. The average person is gonna put their time long term in one, maybe a couple of games at once, and arena shooters just happened to get the short end of the stick, for a number of reasons that likely aren't really the fault of the actual gameplay mechanics.

It's just more likely that as shooters became more common (and more achievable technically outside of pcs) they got more varied competition and the playerbases diluted past idk, critical threshold to maintain such a multiplayer focussed genre; particularly, the examples usually pointed at (halo et al) probably drew people more for the singleplayer components more than multiplayer, that just happened to be what blew up afterwards.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I think clinton castle counts any kills by friendly npcs towards the threshold so if you let navarre and her team do anything it's bound to trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Quake 6 should be a semi-open world hub game with nonlinear progression where you can jumpgate to different worlds, one of which is the Strogg world.

Let's throw some lite RPG elements in there too, and many cosmetic microtransactions. Perhaps an extraction shooter MP?

And the main character should start with a hammer that shoots lightning.