Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Thanks a lot for this thread. :)

I've been playing Unreal Gold lately. I honestly didn't like the game much at first (had more fun with Tournament) but at some point it really grew on me. It has such a nice looking world and the art direction really appeals to me. Is the Steam version updated for modern systems or something? I noticed that it has detailed textures like I see in this Deus Ex launcher.

I hated that tower level though(forgot the name.) I got lost there a lot.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

NecroBob posted:

The Sunspire? It was beautiful on the approach, and dwarfed almost everything up to that point, but yeah, the interior was a little hard to navigate.
That was it. I kept wanting to call it the Sun Tower but that didn't seem right. I agree, it was great when you were approaching it, and getting to the highest point and seeing how far below the path you took to get there is was something. Actually being in the spire wasn't very fun to me though.

Mman posted:

Unreal Tournament (or it may have only been later editions of it) came with an extra disk with a set of high-res textures on them. Only a couple of cards could use them at the time, but it's easy now with the modern renderers. I guess Unreal Gold might have them installed by default, but I have no idea if that's the case.
The Steam version does anyway. I just set the textures to high and there, detailed textures.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
This seems to just barely qualify for the thread, being a PS2 launch title in 2000: TimeSplitters

TimeSplitters was a PS2 launch title made by Free Radical Design, made up of former Rare employees who worked on Goldeneye, which was meant to be a selling point. One of the main grabs of the TimeSplitters series is the levels and weapons from across different time periods, which leads to some nice variety. Feel free to have a deathmatch in Egypt in the 1930s with rocket launchers, laser guns and miniguns! Another was the inclusion of a simple map maker, which I'm 99% sure was uncommon in console FPSes at the time. There was also the large amount of cartoony characters to choose from, like a bipedal duck man, a robot with a fishbowl for a head or a sentient gingerbread man.

The gameplay is really fast paced like Quake or Unreal, and I personally think the multiplayer is on par with them. They were definitely trying to make another Goldeneye with this, but I think they didn't reach that until TimeSplitters 2 in 2002.

Sorry if this is too "new", but I figured if AvP 2000 could be in the OP, TS1 could be mentioned somewhere in the thread. TimeSplitters is my favorite FPS series next to Half-Life and the best console FPS series period in my opinion, so I wanted to give it some appreciation if it's allowed.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 24, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, on the subject of free standalones, perhaps Freedoom should get a mention? Started as a project to work as a generic, non-copyright-infringing 'placeholder' WAD file for modern Doom source-ports, it's basically a whole Doom clone in its own right now and fully compatible with most (if not all) mods and maps.

It's pretty useful if you want to host a multiplayer game in Skulltag or some other Doom-derivative, but not everyone has a full copy of Doom 2. They can join in with Freedoom, although some textures might look a bit weird, and monster sprites are pretty janky.
This right here is how I first started playing Doom mods and 2.5D shooters in general, back in 2008. Good times. I still don't own the actual Doom games though. I hope Steam really does get a Summer sale and the Doom pack gets reduced.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

fishmech posted:

Get the iD Super Pack for $69.99.

That gets you:
The Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Master Levels for Doom II
Final Doom
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Commander Keen (all five episodes from Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy!)
Hexen II
Quake
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
Quake II
Quake II Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning
Quake II Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero
Quake III Arena
Quake III Team Arena
Wolfenstein 3D (including The Nocturnal Missions)
Spear of Destiny (including the "lost episodes" Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

If you were to buy all this back when it came out that would seriously cost something like $900.
I really just want Doom and maybe the Heretic/Hexen collection though. I already own Quake 1 and the expansions, I don't really care to own Quake II that much, and I get my Quake III fix from Quake Live. I like Wolfenstein fine but it's low priority. Plus I'm trying to save money right now and don't want to spend maybe more than $20 if a sale starts.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
The id Super Pack is pretty tempting, even though it's more than I wanted to spend. The Doom Pack didn't go down as much as I wanted though. ($20 something right now, it was $8 something during the last holiday sale) I'm going to wait and see if it becomes a daily deal.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I am loving Doom. I can't remember the last time I got this sucked into an FPS. I beat episode 1 in one sitting and got through most of the second episode a little while ago. I'm already having this much fun and I haven't even touched any mods yet.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

treat posted:

My buddy picked up Doom64 the other day and I hadn't realized how completely different it was. We were pretty disappointed that we couldn't play it coop, so is there a good Doom64 wad out there, one that hopefully uses the same music and same sprites?
Get this http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/ You'll be able to convert a Doom 64 ROM into a WAD.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Zero Star posted:

I honestly never expected to see someone say this in 2011. :D
It really holds up well. Like I said, I have no real mods on it, I'm just using GZDoom for widescreen.

Also, I just remembered the last time I got really sucked into a single-player FPS. It was the Summer I got into the Half-Life series, which became my favorite FPS series next to TimeSplitters.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'm trying to play Doom mods, but whatever I start one I end up in either Doom or Doom 2 with the mod's hud, weapons and enemies. I'm using GZDoom.

EDIT: I just tried Action Doom and it worked fine. So wads seem to work but not pk3 files. I imagine I'm just doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

False alarm, I can't read :blush:

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

MrBims posted:

What are the mods you are trying to use, and how are you starting the game with them? Also, are you using the latest GZDoom svn? If not, get it.
I knew I forgot to add something. I'm trying to play AEoD. I've clicked and dragged the pk3 file onto the GZDoom.exe and used the Quickly Launchering GZDoom launcher, and neither worked. I'm not using the svn build, but I'll try it if I can remember how to use one.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

RiffRaff1138 posted:

:ughh: AEoD doesn't have any levels. It's a weapon and enemy replacer.
Well poo poo! I should've read more carefully.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

KozmoNaut posted:

In the room behind the red door, remember to try and use the torches.

Best secret ever.
That was more like the biggest "gently caress you, player" ever. :catstare: That first map is seriously a dick.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Vintersorg posted:

My DooM experience was always on PC except for the first game. I did the shareware of course and know most of the levels from DooM 2 but my real experience playing that loving game? On the SNES with the red cartridge. I don't even think you were able to save so I left it on all the time. Made it somewhere in the third episode -- those were good times. :D
Reminds me, my first FPS period was GoldenEye*, but my first 2.5D one was Duke Nukem 64. I must have been 7 or 8 when we rented it. I couldn't get past the first level though.

*Actually though, I'm not sure if I ever played it when we rented it, I could've just watched my family play. It's possible Duke 64 was the first FPS I actually played. Turok 64 is another possibility.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 7, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Doom 2 felt pretty standard at first, but it really picks up at Dead Simple. I wish Tricks and Traps had lasted a bit longer. The game basically forced me into the exit before I could explore more. Fighting a swarm of tough enemies while invincible was just great. :black101:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Whats the best and most user friendly graphical mod for Deus EX? I remember downloading one once but forgot which one it was.
This is what I use for Deus Ex. It's simple to use.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I do like Unreal, but I'd like it more if I didn't get lost so easily. I'm not sure if it's me or the level design. Speaking of, I'm STILL stuck in that mother ship near the end...

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 15, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

tooooooo bad posted:

Been playing Doom itself again recently too. I think that I finally agree with the people who say that Doom's map design is better than its sequel's. Everything in Doom 2 is so abstract compared to the more realistic-looking areas in the first game. Also all of the city stages just suck rear end. :colbert:
Yeah, the city stages are the low point of Doom 2 for me. Doom 2 has some great maps but I think Doom's maps have more consistent quality.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I didn't get into the Half-Life series until 2008 so I missed out on every multiplayer mod's prime except for Sven Co-Op. I played that so much from November 08 to March 09. (March 09 being when I got a better video card and the Orange Box and got sucked into TF2)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This may have been answered but I didn't seem to find it. Is there anyway to get the Heretic/Hexen series to run in wide screen? I'm using zDoom and I thought I was able to run Doom II in widescreen with it but I might be mistaken
Have you tried GZDoom? You can play the Doom engine games in 16:9 in that (go to "set video mode" in the options.) I don't know if that's an option in ZDoom since I've never used it.

EDIT: Never mind about GZDoom, I just tried ZDoom. Just go to "set video mode" in ZDoom and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 or 16:10.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 18, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I have no nostalgia for Unreal (I didn't play it until last year) and I think it looks fantastic. On the other hand, I grew up during the N64 era, so I think that's why I have a thing for dated 3D. Plus I played the Gold version which has high res textures that the original release didn't, I think.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Tim Thomas posted:

I remember there being an absolute poo poo engine that ran a few commercial games that was later licensed as the first cheap "make your own game using our engine!" engine. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or what the games were, but I remember them being god-awful yet I spent far too much time playing them as hey, more FPSes!
The Pie in the Sky engine?

My only map making experience has been in the mapmakers for the TimeSplitters games. That made me realize I'm not good at designing levels.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
For anyone not paying attention to GOG sales, Apogee games are half off. I own Duke already, though I'm tempted by Rise of the Triad. I've played a bit of the fan made sequel Return of the Triad and liked it, until I got lost anyway.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

treat posted:

I'm up for mods. We really should have an evening each month dedicated to a different classic game/mod. Do goons still have an active group doing this?
I agree with this. Off the top of my head I have HL1, Duke3D and the Doom games so I'd be up for multiplayer in any of those, especially Sven Co-Op for HL1.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'd also like to suggest Unreal Tournament, though I'm not familiar with its mods so I don't know what MP ones to suggest for that. Of course there's always UT itself.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 15, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've always wanted to play Stronghold with some people if we're taking suggestions.
This is pretty fun, I'd also like to play this in multiplayer. It feels like Killing Floor with Doom stuff.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Like I said on the last page, I'd be up for multiplayer game nights in old games and mods. In particular I'd love to play Sven Co-Op again, and I've wanted to play UT against other people (I've only played against bots.)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Once again my vote is for Sven Co-Op though I'm willing to try Action Half-Life.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
That was my first time playing Quake DM and I didn't expect it to feel better than Quake III. So fast! I especially loved the smaller maps where you could fire a rocket or grenade in almost any direction and hit someone.

I never did manage to get an axe kill though. :(

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
That was fun, though I wish Sven Co-op had lasted a bit longer. And I would've liked Wizard Wars more if the characters weren't as slow as slugs.

Also, the human ladder http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561198000630385/screenshot/559795813677513713/?tab=public

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Blood's a steal at $3. Definitely don't pass that up if you don't have it yet.

Also, are we doing any multiplayer events today?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Never forget the Rainbow Tacticool Squad. :patriot:

A shame to hear that Nazis won't work, I was looking forward to playing that.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dominic White posted:

Via Doom64EX? Yeah, well worth a look. It's a bit slower, a lot darker, and generally more atmospheric than classic Doom.
It seems like they attempted this with Doom 3, but 64 did it so much better (as much as I enjoyed Doom 3.)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Are there any events happening tomorrow? I was hoping for some Unreal/UT99 multiplayer.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Happy birthday Doom :toot: I didn't get to play you until recently, but you quickly became one of my favorite games.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

tooooooo bad posted:

It'd be cool to get a skulltag party together this weekend to celebrate Doom's birthday :shobon:
Seconding this, Skulltag was the best weekend event next to the Quake event.

Unreal should've been awesome but barely anyone participated. :(

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Kazvall posted:

I'm sort of in and out today. As of this point I could host a Skulltag server RIGHT NOW, for like all night.

What do you guys want?

Link me the wads in case I don't have.

edit:

I am hosting "Doom 18th Barfday Goonserv!"

71.88.43.55:10666

I can easily change it, so let me know.
I've wanted to play Stronghold online http://realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=236&Itemid=1

I don't know when everyone will be on but I'll try at the usual time.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Heads up, id's catalog on Steam is on sale. The id complete pack is $44.99 with sales on individual games. If you somehow don't own Doom and/or Quake, take advantage! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13001/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Yes, I wasn't expecting Daikatana's multiplayer to be that fun, and that was just with two people. It gets my vote for a weekend MP event at some point.