Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

No, what's bad is that I know exactly what game the map on the right is from. All of them, every single FPS of the last 10 years. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Have any of you played a game online with goons before? Edgy and totally ironic racism is basically the bulk of the experience.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It was weird seeing everyone talking about how sucky Doom 2 is a couple of pages ago, when I got my first computer in 1997 the first game I got to play was a floppy disk version of Doom 2 that I borrowed from someone. I didn't play the first Doom until a few years later and it seemed a pretty big step down compared to Doom 2, I've always assumed the consensus was that Doom 2 was all around better because I'd never really heard anyone compare the two before.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

None of those are really a good FPS analog to WoW. Planetside has the scale, but lacks everything to do with PvE or exploration. Defiance has the PvE and a bit of exploration but completely lacks in scale and has very barebones questing. Destiny is absurdly short and you hardly even see other players when out in the world, and it lacks any sort of social aspects whatsoever. I don't really count stuff like Tabula Rasa because that was more like WoW with a crosshair than a proper FPS. A real MMOFPS with RPG elements just hasn't happened yet.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

What system are you playing on? I have yet to be anywhere in Destiny that there aren't 3+ other players around, unless I'm in an instance where you're supposed to be alone. And as for social features, I'm really glad that it doesn't have voice chat by default, like Dark Souls, and interaction with random rear end in a top hat pubbies is more silent. How much social interaction do you do with random pubbies in WoW anyways? Have we forgotten Barrens chat already? In most LFR runs everybody ignores chat and even if you're yelling at them to not stand in the fire or for that one guy to go do a thing, they'll completely ignore it, an then wonder why they wiped. All the positive social interactions in WoW come from within your own guild. Meanwhile in Destiny I just started dancing with 3 random guys in the tower, we formed a fireteam, and then voice chatted while we killed bosses wandering around the overworld. And the FPS nature kinda inherently fights the social aspects some; that's how it has to be. How often are people social on call of duty or counter strike? You're too busy shooting things to care. Being on console makes it even worse, so there's no real easy way to just 'fix it'.

Game's only been out for 24+ hours though so... that's some fast judgement!

That said Destiny is definitely much more Guild Wars 1 or Diablo than it is Guild Wars 2 or WoW, but its not THAT different.

And it sounds like your reasons why Defiance didn't count are just "I don't like Defiance" which is fair, but... not really disqualifying. I mean if you're going to hold it to that high of a WoW standard, most MMORPGs don't count. Nothing holds a candle to WoW's content; its been out for loving ten years.

Wow, no need to get so defensive. The game is pretty fun and I like it so far, but it's ok to recognize its limitations. The social side of it is a mess, finding a team to do an instance is going to absolutely require using an outside tool to coordinate and the complete lack of any communication besides adding someone to your friend list is a ridiculous hindrance in an MMO. You can't even really socially interact with your guild/clan/whatever the gently caress it's called which is dumb as poo poo. I also think it's funny that you use the fact that you might see 3 other random people in a huge zone as a counter-point to what I'm trying to say. That pretty much just supports my point entirely.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still maintain that Hollywood Holocaust is one of the greatest maps (urban or otherwise) ever made.

Props to Quake's E1M1, and Heretic's E1M5 (if that's the one that looks like a city).

Hollywood Holocaust is a map that works perfectly for single and multiplayer, something that is drat hard to do. DN3D has a bunch of maps like that really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It's not just you, everyone pretty much feels the same way. I think the first "episode" of Doom II is insanely good though.