Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I stopped being scared of them as soon as I figured out they were completely harmless for as long as you held down the Quick Kick button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Despite buying it on XBLA, I've only ever played it on PC. I ripped it myself and made it into a little ZDoom mod, including the new medkit artwork, new intermission screen etc. Even has an episode selection!

A shame I can't distribute it :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's less that they refuse to, more that they aren't allowed to. Their fault really, they could be completely open source if they wanted but they're not confident enough with the security of their netcode.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

The renderer source code is available, so if nothing else, would it be possible to compile a version to run in XP?

You might want to consider upgrading to Windows 7, it's pretty great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinook posted:

So what setting for Vanilla Doom 2 would be advisable? Ultra Violence? I find Nightmare to be a bit silly with all of the respawns, especially when I don't know the levels all too well, and am searching for secrets a lot.

I tend to play Ultra Violence with Fast Monsters on. It adds that extra bit of challenge without making it stupid-hard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's a mod that makes Gunman Chronicles into a Steam game and makes it use the latest version of the HL1 engine. Grab it HERE.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barrels o' Fun is awesome :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, Bethesda RPGs are always far, far superior on PC.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's true room over room. It's supported natively in the map format instead of being a hack involving sector effectors. The only downside is that there are limitations with what you can make when using the software renderer. Though if you're using polymer the sky is the limit, you could make a 1:1 remake of a quake level if you wanted (it would be difficult and there might be some collision errors though).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most open source physics libraries tend to be coded in c++ as opposed to plain old c. It would be rather difficult (though not impossible) to use a modern lib like that on such ancient code.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

UT is there. Unreal isn't though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

Actually, he kind of did this in Last Action Hero, and we all know how that went.

Yeah, I know how it went. It was a good movie.

:colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I don't usually have this much time, kinda downtime between projects and the weather has been rainy recently. :v:

But yeah the guns and the aliens are fine, they just made the special ops guys way, way too hard to kill and their way more accurate than any of your guns are. Grenade are worthless because you can barely throw them, they're bizarrely slow, and enemies run away so you pretty much just have to hope you've got sniper ammo and/or a heavy machine gun.

The rest of the game was fine.

You've played blue shift? It's short but not too bad.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dominic White posted:

I've got click-left-stick as 'hold to roll'. Beyond that, I've got most of the other functions bound to the face buttons and D-pad though.

All the actual core gameplay controls I've got all without having to move fingers at all - left stick facing, right stick strafe, triggers throttle, and LB/RB as primary/secondary fire.

Left Stick - Strafe Left/Right, Move Forward/Back
Right Stick - Turn Left/Right, Look Up/Down
Left Stick Button - Move Up
Right Stick Button - Move Down
Left Bumper - Roll Left
Right Bumber - Roll Right

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 7, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Essobie posted:

This goes against every instinct I have for controlling a vehicle or a camera in 3D space. The last time I saw something this mis-matched was N64's Goldeneye. Pitch and Yaw should ALWAYS be on the same stick. You specifically put one of these on each stick. Intolerable! :colbert:

Oh derp, messed up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry if bMouse is hard to use, I threw it together from scraps of other peoples code and didn't really know what the hell I was doing :saddowns:

I'm just happy it (mostly) works!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'll download it and see if I can get it working or something.

EDIT: Oh supposedly they support it? Oh well I'll test it anyway.

EDIT 2: Yeah what's said in the readme works fine.

EDIT 3: Also here is the source code because :buddy: http://swisscm.duke4.net/BMOUSE06_SOURCE.ZIP

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 3, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

doom 1 is dark lol

edit: That screenshot makes the wad look darker than it actually is. Oops.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 28, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna gently caress Doom so hard now that it's legal.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Awesome. I've never actually seen that kind of technique used in a 2.5d sourceport before and I figure it would be a really nice way of adding detail without taking away from the old-school artstyle.

Eduke32 has supported it for 3 years.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On ATI cards primarily.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh goddamnit Plagman, keep this :smug: up and it's 10bux wasted :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Im not going to reply this with technical language but with this: Polymer is pointless because it eats resources for breakfast. Instead of that, most Duke3D players would love better 3d models because right now the good old vanilla sprites are better. There are quite a lot of stuff they can improve instead of wasting time on polymer, wich is for most players skippable.

The Duke3D HRP does need more artists, after all we're still using models made half a decade ago! But Plagman isn't an artist, he's a programmer. He can't just drop everything Polymer and start making 3D models, he doesn't have the skillset.

Polymost is a technological dead end. It's a quick hack by Ken Silverman coded in his patented incomprehensible style, so don't expect much more from that renderer.

Guillermus posted:

Also calling everyone whiners makes your :smug: tech talk hit the ground because if something had this thread in abundance was respect between goons.

He was just trolling. He has spent the last few years working on Polymer so I dunno maybe you hurt his feelings a little bit too.

Vertigus posted:

There's probably plenty of people out there who are into advanced rendering features for the sake of advanced rendering features, but I think there's a lot of wisdom in reservation. One of the things I admire about GZDoom is that it does implement fancy new features, but the teams behind it take care to keep things speedy and preserve the tone of the game without making it look garish. I don't think that has to do with the larger community, just a different approach.

The Doom engine's levels are almost completely static, which makes 3D rendering of them relatively easy. With Build, every single wall, floor, and vertex is able to change position at any time. Polymost is a hack, it barely works, and even it has issues which make it impossible for it to ever be as accurate as the software renderer. Polymer on the other hand is designed to do it properly. Designing a 3D renderer that can cope with that is a huge challenge.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 31, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ZDoom has excellent controller support. Use that

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I used to be scared of slimers until I found out that quick kick got rid of them instantly. You can just run into a slimer nest while holding down quick kick and kill them all without getting any damage whatsoever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bMouse available from here works with Redneck Rampage. It makes mouselook far more tolerable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

...since I was about to start playing D3 on either Xbox 1 (ugly)...

It was quite an achievement though. Squeezing the game onto such limited hardware was a very impressive feat. They even added a split-screen co-op campaign.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

e: and speaking of soundtracks, anyone who played Blood without the CD in the drive was really missing out. the midi fallback soundtrack did that game no favors

I actual preferred the midi versions of some of the songs. The carnival level music in particular.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bloodmobile posted:

How do I get bmouse working with Cryptic Passage?

e: Just like you do with Blood, duh. Just had some things in my config that made CP not launch.

I am honestly amazed that bmouse works at all. I really had no idea what I was doing. I can read C a little but overall it was a total hackjob that I could only compile using Borland Turbo C++ 4.0, released in 1993. I threw in an INI reader library that I found (which I forgot to credit in the readme, oops. MIT license or something I think) and JonoF helped me write some code to fill in the gaps.

They should just loving release Blood's source code already. That bullshit about it potentially fracturing the userbase because of multiple multiplayer source ports is ridiculous and it being closed source means none of the innovations that have gone into eduke32 could be merged. It'll be just another broken, half-assed source port coded by people who aren't aware of any of the Build engine's many obscure quirks. See the iPhone or Android Duke3D port as an example. It's a loving mess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

Also, that updated source port isn't even coming out any more :smith:

Oh typical. If they could have gotten their poo poo together for just a moment and thrown out a GPL-licensed code dump in time we'd all be much better off right now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

QwertySanchez posted:

Steam just gave me a 50% off Duke nukem 3D thing. Does it have anything to make it worth having over the GoG version of the atomic edition I got last year? I already own lifes a beach and duke in LA too.

Considering the half-assed effort they put into the port, I doubt the multiplayer would be any good. The 3D acceleration code they used was never even close to being suitable for use in a commercial product. It's full of bugs (try getting shrinked, notice the massive HOM errors). I wouldn't expect any better when it comes to their netcode. It'll probably be a barely modified P2P thing based on the original netcode. Expect lots of sync errors.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why haven't any of the EDuke32 devs taken a crack at reverse engineering Blood support? Seems like that'd be a worthwhile endeavor.

Most of them are pretty busy nowadays. Terminx doesn't have much time to work on eduke32, let alone reverse engineering a game.

Of course, if Monolith had any brains we could have had the source code to it by now, but nope. Blame Jace Hall.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jblade posted:

It's good fun, but don't go in expecting a full length game or something that deviates alot from normal Duke gameplay. It's 5-maps long and will take you around an hour and a bit. The levels are amazing looking, especially for a Build engine game.

Still better than DNF.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JackMackerel posted:

Wasn't Unreal 1 like the Crysis of the 90s for a little while, or was that Trespasser? :v:

Unreal ran fine if you had a 133-166mhz Pentium, ~32MB RAM and a 3dfx card. Anything less than that or any video card that wasn't a 3dfx and it was a slideshow.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NoodleBox posted:

I really wish that blood mod makers would get with the drat times and start putting in some bmouse support in their .bat and .cfg files, I hate having to gently caress around with that poo poo for like fifteen minutes to figure why it can't do an extremely basic thing properly

drat straight. I want people to see my name every time they play the game so my ego is satisfied :mmmhmm:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

In regards to face-hugging-type enemies, I love the logic behind getting them off. They're supposed to be covering your face but typically you can just shoot (or kick) them off.

I'm playing Duke 3D again and those things still scare me, mainly because you have no idea one is attached to you until it starts coming up from the bottom of the screen. Whenever I see a bunch of those unhatched eggs, I waste all my ammo on my current gun because there's no way I'm giving them a chance to hatch.

Quick kick gets rid of them instantly. As soon as I realised that, they were no longer a problem at all. They're actually completely harmless when putting that single key into consideration.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

I still love that in the original, unpatched Duke3D you could run around whilst simultaneously kicking with both legs. I very disappointed that they removed it from the Atomic edition.

Oh god yes. I loved double kicking like a ninja. Using that technique was actually pretty useful on some levels.

Garnavis posted:

This should have been an option in Megaton Edition.

While we're on the subject, was anyone else irrationally upset that Duke couldn't kick in DNF? Hitting things with your gun is dumb, especially when they're big heavy things like the RPG and the Devastator.

That was the least of its problems, but it was a problem. The game as a whole seemed to completely ignore its heritage.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 18, 2013

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

The Build engine itself is basically just a renderer. Game logic is separate, and very different from game to game. Contrarily to Doom engine games, where there's relatively little differences between Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife (to say nothing about Chex Quest or Hacx), it's not really possible to just plug a different actor table in DN3D or Shadow Warrior and get Blood this way. That's why Doom has a few multi-compatible source ports like ZDoom, while nobody has attempted to merge Duke, SW, and the others into a "ZBuild".

Duke3D and Shadow Warrior actually have many underlying technical similarities. The CON code is gone, but the structure is similar despite being re-written in C. Redneck Rampage is even more closely based on Duke3D, using an extended version of the CON system. It actually may be possible to merge them all together, though Shadow Warrior's code would have to be converted back to CON or something.

You're right that Blood is a completely different matter though, as are the (terrible) Capstone games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

...(those werewolf things? ugh) really loving sucked...

If there was one enemy that I wish they would include, it would be them. They scared the gently caress out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqpw60tjbszia28/MARS3D_game_with_CDimage.zip

There's a link to MARS 3D. It comes with a CD image because the game has a CD check that obviously hasn't been cracked. You know, since this game has never been seen until now. Just note that the guy who found this seems to indicate that it's kind of unstable, so don't be surprised if you experience crashing.

There is a lot of ripped and modified (most of the time only barely) in this, which isn't entirely unexpected for a Chinese (?) game.

Can anyway tell what 3D engine this uses?