Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Your Wolf2SDL link is broken. I recommend this mod. It's a ZDoom port of Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny. I played through both games using it and it was perfect. It also does co-op!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Purple D. Link posted:

Thanks a lot for this thread. :)

I've been playing Unreal Gold lately. I honestly didn't like the game much at first (had more fun with Tournament) but at some point it really grew on me. It has such a nice looking world and the art direction really appeals to me. Is the Steam version updated for modern systems or something? I noticed that it has detailed textures like I see in this Deus Ex launcher.

I hated that tower level though(forgot the name.) I got lost there a lot.

The Sunspire? It was beautiful on the approach, and dwarfed almost everything up to that point, but yeah, the interior was a little hard to navigate.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Anyone know where I could find a good description/outline of the Marathon map (.sceA) file format? Like a structure for structure description?

I have a program that I'd like to write.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Power Walrus posted:

I am so confused :psyduck:
"HE CERTAINLY IS DA SLOWEST IN ARM-OR. HIS MOR-TAR IS ACTUALLY REALLY STRONG."

Because I felt like it-ah, I'm preppin' lis-ah bates-ah.

This seems less like DN3D and more stats and inventory tetris. There are also far too many -ahs at the ends of that person's words.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Palpek posted:

I guess this is the best thread to ask a question like this - does a fan/mod remake of the original Wolfenstein 3D exist?

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/default.php

Posted this earlier. Even has coop, if ZDoom is newer enough for you.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Version 0.12 was officially released today, even though the beta release has been out for several weeks now. The blood and carnage is toned down, but in a strange sort of concession, you can run around and kick dead bodies / limbs like soccer balls. Big, dead, soccer balls. The "Fire Cannon" that you can pull off of gibbed Mancubus corpses is pretty cool: it can set lesser-enemies on fire, but the ammo's a little difficult to come by since each cannon only nets you 8 more shots.

When did they make the Barons of Hell have red blood? :psyduck:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

treat posted:

Just a heads up that we're going to play some classic Quake DM and Coop in a couple of hours. Meet up in the group chat, details will be posted in an announcement.

drat, I was doing Operating Systems homework! Are you all still playing? What engine, mods, server...? I didn't see anything on the Steam group thing.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

My god, this rules. The cheesy Metallica MIDIs just seal the deal. It's like injecting the 90s into your brain.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or did the creator bump the difficulty up? I swear I picked Hurt Me Plenty but it feels like Ultraviolence.

See, the Metallica MIDIs killed it for me. Especially when it kept changing back to that same song over and over, even when I IDMUSed it to something else. And yes, I think the author increased the difficulty. I started on UV with Brutal Doom 0.13 and there are four demons, two spectres, and like seven or eight grunts in the first room/hallway alone.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
When I try to connect is says "level authentication failed".

I'm using skmega.pk3, dtwid.wad, and dtwid.deh, running skulltag 0.98d. I got SKMEGA from the link above the IPs, and DTWID from this post.

Any ideas?

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Hey stupid question, exactly what does effecting sectors mean in relation to awesome 90s shooters, please forgive me :smith:

The Build Engine uses something called "sector effectors" to achieve the various sector-based effects in the game, like flickering lights, geometry to be destroyed by explosions, etc.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
You guys do know that there's already a TC for GZDoom that has all six episodes fully playable, with all the ZDoom trimmings, right? With co-op support.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

They do, its called Wolf3d_TC for Zdoom

Yeah, this one. I guess I just get confused when I see people wishing that they could play Wolf3d on a more modern engine. You already can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Didn't see it mentioned, but the origin of the name is discussed in the FAQ.

FAQ posted:

The true meaning of "Poke646" goes way back into the early 80's were the C=64 homecomputer was very popular. I programmed my first games on it in Basic and "poke646,[x]" was the command to change the font color on the screen. I thought it would fit the title of this mod, as this was the first complete game I designed since my early days in the computing business.