Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was only able to get RGH on my mac working by using the Doomseeker front end. Also there is an undocumented bug in mac skulltag where you have to place your IWADs in the same directory as skulltag.app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone want to try some RGH coop with me? Supposedly it isn't balanced right for coop but apparently all my friends have outgrown Doom. I'm running Skulltag and am west coast if that matters. MSN is sockbot@sockbot.com.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The only problems I had with brutal doom seem to be it crashing sometimes when doing fatalities. Using osx skulltag.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

I've always had terrible framerate issues with RGA and RGH, specifically while switching/reloading weapons.
I get a little hiccup when doing the same thing on my MacBook 2010. Yeah it's integrated graphics, but come on, it's doom.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

He tried rolling back drivers and supposedly spent 6 hours troubleshooting, but for some reason he can no longer play Skulltag in OpenGL. I believe he just gets a black screen. We're aching to get the Stronghold server going again, but that's not going to happen until this is resolved. Any ideas?

Try running in software rendering. I believe i am in software because I think OpenGL is not supported on osx.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I am hosting a Real Guns Hardcore Skulltag server running coop. Does anyone want to test it with me? It's the one in Canada at 24.84.177.14:10666

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Help me goons, I'm running OS X 10.6.6, and I have the wads for Doom 1 and Doom 2 in the same folder as Skulltag, but when I run it, it just shows up on the dock, bounces a couple times, and then goes away.

I wanna shoot things :(

I am on OS X as well. There are two ways to do it. I prefer using Doomseeker as a launcher and specifying a directory for your IWADS: http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/

The alternative way to do it is to put your IWADS into your Skulltag.app container in the Mac OS directory.

If you are using Doomseeker to host a server, uncheck broadcast to LAN.

This info wasn't very easy to find so it maybe could go into the OP somehow.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hog Butcher posted:

Man, playing Real Guns Hardcore is weird. I'm playing with Daredevil on the realistic hard difficulty

I want to play this mp with someone. Pm me if you want to organize a game!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Quirk posted:

No, but this made me scream "MOTHERFUCKER" as loud as humanly possible in my house at 1am: http://youtu.be/AC0p9qiGbwk

What is this? Brutal Doom + some custom maps? Your videos have no description.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lemon King posted:

I brought it up in the classic games thread, still have my CD sitting in a box somewhere.

Also, Call of Doom. :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0-Ik-vyOo&hd=1

Looks like Real Guns Hardcore. I'm up for playing it coop any time!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ok I'm hosting REAL GOONS HARDCORE and Stronghold GOONS on my linux box now, find them through Doomseeker. If anyone knows linux and can tell me how to run the servers like a startup process I'd like to do that because I think running them in a console window risks having them timeout from screensaver or accidentally closed.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anal Volcano posted:

Are there any good Mac Doom source ports? I know Skulltag has one but it doesn't work (as has come up before in the thread). I would play it on my gaming PC, but it's hooked up to my TV now, and I'd rather play Doom sitting in front of a monitor.

Skulltag OS X works for me if I use Doomseeker to launch and Doomseeker knows where the IWADS are.
It also works if you put the IWADS into the Skulltag.app container file in the same directory as the Skulltag binary.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Anyone looking for a cool modern take on Episode 1 of Doom can do worse than Double Impact

I just checked out some double impact on YouTube, and if you think that is impressive, you have to play Knee Deep in zDoom. It's a reimaging of doom ep1 using all of the modern features of the zDoom engine. Not only is it very technically impressive, the single player level design is top notch and it is genuinely scary.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CyRaptor posted:

I feel like KZiZD has the same problem - focusing on making a ton of unremarkable, indistinguishable rooms rather than a few memorable ones. The mappers spent way too much time on adding asinine amounts of detail to each room while missing the big picture of the level as a whole. That, combined with the fact that they felt it necessary to shoehorn in every weapon and monster mod they could find without any concern over maintaining gameplay balance, doesn't do a whole lot for the "fun" factor for me. Maybe it does for other people, but I don't think I should have to apologize for thinking it's anything more than a pretty-looking failure.

Edit: The other thing you have to take into account when questioning people's negative reaction to KZiZD is the context of its release. It was a high-profile project that had been in development for something like five years. It was touted as a faithful modern update of the Episode 1 "experience", and it didn't really deliver on any of the fronts it promised. Even though its map layouts were supposed to be based on the originals, they changed them into something so unrecognizable that it sort of defeated the purpose of staying within those guidelines to begin with. I suppose that in a vacuum, or maybe just with hindsight, it isn't a terrible game , but it's not what we were promised. So maybe I'm just bitter.

For me, the fun of KZiZD is the feeling of familiarity, yet strangeness of the levels. I like the fact that playing a level makes me go through a familiar secret area, and that makes me wonder where the REAL secret has been moved to. I like the scripted events like getting the blue key in Z1M3 where nothing happens when I pick up the key, and I feel the apprehension of thinking what is there to replace the old trap.

Although I think I may have been aware of KZiZD when it was announced, it was basically off my radar for the years it spent in development, so I've never carried the baggage around of what it was "supposed" to be or what it set out to be. I feel no missed expectations when playing it, only the fun of playing Doom again for the first time.

My only complaint so far is that the levels are too huge and take too long to complete. I think I'm on Z1M4 now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

One question though: Is KDiZD designed with enabled jumping in mind? There are quite a few spots that look like secrets that could be easily jumped to, but I haven't been able to find any other alternate paths to them short of searching the entire level for some switch that'll activate an elevator or bridge.

The maps are designed with jumping in mind. There are some jumping puzzles (ugh) required to get to secrets, and I think you have to jump in order to get the seismic bomb (at least, it's MUCH EASIER to get with jumping).

As for running around and getting lost, I find that the new map features like coloured doors and switch indicator icons help a lot telling me where to go next.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

Sort of in the spirit of the above graphics discussion, here's some screenshots from recent Quake singleplayer maps.

Where is a good place to find some Quake maps that really show off new engine features? Coop play is a plus.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I also have no problems running kdizd with the latest stable Skulltag or zdoom. Have you tried using a fresh Doom install?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Any reccomendations for chaotic constant combat co-op fun with Doom mods? Me and two friends played 10x monster spawn Realguns DOOM and had a blast, but something with a bit more variety and a solid arena style map pack would be fun.

Play on my Stronghold Survival server!

Goonhold Stronghold
24.84.177.14:10666

Mantle
May 15, 2004

H2Omelon posted:

They hadn't yet realised that you can get gunfire noise to wake up monsters in completely separate areas of the level if you built it in a certain way

Just for academic knowledge, how would you do this? Make the two sectors linked (like they both highlight when you mouseover in doom builder)? I am not a level designer but I've goofed around with doombuilder before.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Essobie posted:

Probably a dumb question, but anyone know of a mod to play Brutal Doom in 1920x1200 but have HUD elements be large enough to actually see? I'm using Skulltag.

It has nothing to do with brutal doom, but skulltag itself. Go to something like display options, HUD settings, and play around with the text scaling setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

While I'm talking purely about interest in the games hosted, the hosting issue a lot of people seem to have stems from ISP's blocking specific ports entirely. I was completely unable to host skulltag games until I moved from Cable-One to Qwest.

I'm definitely down to get more skulltag games going. It seems a lot of people maintain a strictly fleeting interest with any custom wads, but I'd love some classic deathmatching again.

I too was unable to generate any interest, and I have a dedicated server available. I'd be up for running whatever mod on there that you guys want to play 24/7.