Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This thread makes me super happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Posting from a phone, so I can't do them justice, but I wanted to give a shout-out to the Terminator games, Future Shock and Skynet. Pretty ahead of their time, tech-wise. Skynet was kind of like the granddaddy of Codename Eagle/Battlefield.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I loved Quake mods that didn't require any special assets on the client side, like the original Threewave CTF. The flags were keys and the grapple was an axe which shot a vore ball with a chain of nails and THAT'S HOW I LIKED IT.

I especially enjoyed all the crazy singleplayer levels as CTF maps. gently caress all that symmetry bullshit that would end up taking over.

Half the fun was discovering these things by accident, because you were just joining a familiar server (by ip) and all of a sudden people were flying around and poo poo was crazy. And then the next day you'd join and you'd pick up a rune and you'd turn into a dog and you'd have a rocket launcher that fired dogs and there was negative friction.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would just like to remind everyone of how awesome the intro demo for the original Team Fortress was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

Did anyone else here play Deadlode TF? It was a modification of TF that added a bunch of new stuff, but it showed restraint and didn't turn it into a stupid clusterfuck of garbage like MegaTF.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Quake "storyline" is great because it reads exactly like it was written an hour before the game was actually released, which, given the development that game went through, would not surprise me at all.

And it's still way more interesting than Quake 2.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
True, and it did have great characters like Bitterman and the Makron.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The worst thing about Quake 2 was how it was broken and missing features when it came out. Waiting for those "point releases" sucked.

I remember trying to play multiplayer on the retail build... :smith:

The best thing about Q2 was how the mod scene took off with it. Quake got the ball rolling with that stuff, but it really blew up with Q2.

I have fond memories of QPong, Action Quake 2 and Jailbreak in particular.

Roobanguy posted:

Why is the storm troopers leg on the gun? :psyduck:

To a jedi, the Z-buffer means nothing.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 19, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Reive posted:

I can't play either without using software rendering, I HATE the lovely smoothing they do to textures in OpenGL, and high-res textures don't look good on low-poly models.

Depending on the version you're using, this can be addressed.

For instance, if you're playing quake with darkplaces, you want to type gl_texturemode gl_nearest rather than gl_texturemode gl_linear (or something like that). You'll get your gloriously unsmeared pixels, but you can still take advantage of the fancier lighting like raytracing and projected shadows, which I think actually enhance the atmosphere when tweaked just right.

Even old GLQuake had some pretty deep settings for texture stuff if I remember correctly.

Going old school and using software rendering is still fun in a weird way though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The best TF map is The Rock.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Team Fortress 2 promo items are dumb, but the one you get for buying Quake 4 (ugh) is the Quake 1 rocket launcher. The reason I think people in this thread will appreciate it is how it's placed on the screen:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, the blaster from Quake 2 was the worst thing. It's also just so much less cool than having a loving shotgun as your base weapon.

The Quake expansions are weird. The fact that they were both developed by different groups in parallel makes it extra weird, because there's no continuity in terms of features or weapons or monsters. I think Scourge of Armagon is the better of the two, because they made more substantial additions, and tried to do some pretty wacky poo poo with Quake C or whatever. Lots of crazy traps and bullshit.

The alternative ammo types and roided up regular monsters in Dissolution felt kind of lazy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Kazvall posted:

Don't you talk about my nostalgia that way.

Nostalgia compromise position:

Quake 1 had the few landmark mods like CTF and Team Fortress that really blew our minds and showed us what was possible. Quake 2 had a fuckload of really well-made mods that exploited the more flexible modding system and larger community. Both mod scenes were awesome in their own ways.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

LvK posted:

(also there's not really any 4th wall breaking or winking nods to how dumb this bullshit is in Saints Row games. They play all of this stupid stuff straight.)

In the clip linked above, the main character does wink at the audience, drawing attention to how crazy everything is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Someday I'll get past the slow pacing and actually finish Half-Life 2.

I love parts of it, but there are some long, boring stretches. I think it could have been edited down a lot without losing anything.