Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I mean this has gotta be a marketing/teaser thing, right?
Not necessarily. People holding up Video Game Hot Takes at wrasslin’ shows is a thing now for some reason. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Did that patch land with all the improvements they were talking about?
Not yet. No specific date for it, but I think they said it'll land before the console port (which includes it), which is landing on May 21.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I assume it's this.

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1774768959243579625

And no, it's real.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hah, apparently this'll be an official model pack mod.

https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1775152097312329733

EDIT: Chex Civ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWzahPnEhU

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 2, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something goofy from the demoscene types: Skilander, a completely new BUILD engine game (ie. it's not a standalone eDuke32 mod) made in four weeks for Revision 2024, featuring four scenic locations to ski down, a bangin' tracker soundtrack, "borrowed" Jill of the Jungle sound effects, and someone attempting to an impersonation of Sean Connery from Highlander trying to imitate a Finnish accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC190KIkhPY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Squeezy Farm posted:

Oof...dave szymanski in the steam reviews for the chud fps. Guess I'll be skipping the PO'ed port :ohdear:
Boycotting something he didn't work on and isn't involved with will definitely show him.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

What was the fate of UT4 again? The wikipedia article is cheerfully optimistic followed by 'and then it died'.

It was being half-assed with no budget and mostly community contributions, then... never finished? Never released? I kept hearing about it up until I heard that it was cancelled. Was it epic store only?
It was only on the Epic client (before there was a store!) and was primarily developed by a skeleton crew hoping the community would do most of the grunt work as a way of promoting Unreal Engine 4. Then that same skeleton crew used the assets from another game by Epic, a recently-released co-op base-building game called Fortnite, to prototype up a PUBG clone. The rest, as they say, is history.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They shut down everything that wasn't using their modern Epic Online Services system, including things like Rock Band 2. Read into that as you will.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.
One of my discs always gave me an error until I took it out of the PC, wiped it with a tissue, and put it back in. Even when fresh out of the box for the first time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm probably just going to keep being annoying and passive-aggressive about it on the internet. Seems easier.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think HL2 came out on like 7 CDs in America
There were two retail releases back in 2004: The standard edition, which came on five CDs and included HL2 and CS Source, and the special edition, which came on one DVD and threw in HL1 Source, a t-shirt and a manual-sized sampler of the strategy guide and art book.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The big update is out for the System Shock remake, along with a 55%-off sale. If you haven't been paying attention, this adds a female player model option, a completely redone finale, optimisations for the Steam Deck crowd, and a list of changes and fixes about as long as your arm.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ROTT Ludicrous Edition has received a big update, adding multiplayer to the console ports (with full cross-play with pc), level stats on the automap, one final alternate actor from the cutting room floor, 4k 120fps support on Xbox Series, and the usual assortment of bug fixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpImURZq6c

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth was RoTT released after Doom II?
They were the Developers of Incredible Power, not the Developers of Incredible Punctuality.

In other news...

Turbo Overkill has released a new patch to mark Steam's FPS Fest sale, featuring a new Endless Mode map, along with the usual spate of bugfixes.

...and Beyond Sunset has updated with an updated version of the old demo levels as a "Chapter 0" prologue mapset, along with an official release of the synthwave soundtrack.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's probably some mechanic where the grenade stops exploding on impact after a certain condition was met, but I couldn't science it out or understand the source code, so instead I'm going to spread flagrant misinformation in the hopes of summoning someone who actually knows their stuff: It stops doing impact damage after two bounces. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I finished the first non shareware mapset for Rise of the Triad.

How are these maps so bad. They are so bad. When you have this comprehensive a map view and Im still getting lost in this thats bad.

Its just an astonishingly bad game and like there could be a more fun thing in here but every combat encounter decision is tailor made to just make things take longer instead of being fun.
See if the final episode in the remaster (The HUNT Returns) changes anything for you - it was made by veteran Doom modders and the occasional indie dev in the 2020s, so it tries to adhere a bit more to modern standards.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Try out Return of the Triad. It’s a ZDoom mod. It feels like what RoTT should have been if they had used a real engine.
It's also conveniently included with the PC version of Ludicrous Edition!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

Halo 3 shipped with its own multiplayer but without firefight. ODST came out a couple years later and includes firefight + the Halo 3 multiplayer client on a separate disc. It never had its own multiplayer, unless you count firefight. In the MCC era they added the special ODST weapons into Halo 3 MP as well.
ODST Firefight also received some upgrades near the end of the long decade of post-release oh-god-we're-so-sorry updates, in the form of importing enemies (Flood, Elites) and weapons (Energy Sword, Sentinel Beam) over from Halo 3 as well as some new modes and mechanics.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Didn't the Cultic dev say he'd played an updated build and that it was vastly improved? I'd normally take such comments with a pinch of salt but Cultic slaps extremely hard and their opinion carries more weight
Vast improvement from that demo still doesn't necessarily mean a good end result.

I'm watching a streamer play it now. Graphics are very nice, but performance seems wonky and the game code side of things undercooked. So, the Slipgate Usual, then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Been meaning to play Voyager Elite Force for years, since I remember PC Gamer loved it back in the day. GoG ports work good on Win10? Or are there source ports?
If you want proper widescreen, go here for EF1 and here for EF2.

Also, for EF2, quickly punch com_maxfps 80 into the console at some point. This slightly lowers the default FPS cap, fixing zero-gravity areas.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That tweet is incredibly lame, the stuff they're leaking/citing as a disaster is generic water-cooler talk that completely lacks any controversy or bite and the running-to-teacher @-ing of youtubers to try and rope them in is aggressively shameful. There's plenty to complain about with 3DR, Slipgate and their recent output without having to even open the barrel, let along scrape the bottom of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Total Chaos now has a Steam page. Remember that GZDoom TC that looked like a relatively modern game? The developer went on to do Turbo Overkill, and now he's returned to remake his old hobby project in A Proper Big-Boy Engine as a bit of a victory lap.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A console version of Phantom Fury has been announced as hitting PS5 and Xbox Series on May 30. Which… seems a bit ambitious, let’s just say.

In addition, the demo version of Selaco will be delisted from Steam around the end of the month, since it’s basically an outdated version of the start of the game and saves won’t cross over… don’t worry too much though, all of the demo versions will be shunted over to Archive.org for posterity’s sake.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Recently someone suggested a weapon idea for my mod - a Demon Core in a gun-shaped lead casing that you "fire" by jiggling a screwdriver poking out the side. I'm probably going to do this, to be honest.

repiv posted:

didn't someone figure out that if you delete certain package files in BL3 it mercifully just skips all the dialogue
https://twitter.com/Googleygareth/status/1507383931485802514

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

is there a doom wad that turns it into a shlooter.
Also Legendoom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The first proper Descent 3 source port is out! PiccuEngine, by the developer of the old InjectD3 hack, adds lots of much-needed quality of life features like windowed mode, widescreen support, FOV controls, 60fps support, and the return of graphical features that weren't implemented in OpenGL Mode.

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1785834019168346419

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's some bugs in the MIDI playback, yeah. They were working on a patch and posted a music clip to demonstrate that it had improved a lot, but that was a while ago.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

There’s some weird timing thing with the music; if you change it to the OPL3 version it sounds better (no idea why it isn’t the default).

I don’t have any complaints with the controls though :confused:

The Kins posted:

There's some bugs in the MIDI playback, yeah. They were working on a patch and posted a music clip to demonstrate that it had improved a lot, but that was a while ago.
Speak of the devil: The first patch is out now on Steam and is presumably winding down the pipe everywhere else. and also everywhere else.

quote:

Cheating is now reset when players change levels
Improve music playback timing
Fix randomization of scripted music events
Fix music panning
Fix random note dropouts (sometimes in music individual notes would just stop)
Fix ice physics
Fix some switches not working (like in Ramsees Hed)
Fix issue rendering mask on GPU renderer
Fix culling of 3D models
Performance fixes for Switch
Fix target FPS on PS5/XSX (used to be locked at 60 FPS, now runs at 120)
Fix texture offset for floor-based skies
Fix repeater sound incorrectly stopping when it should loop
Fix collision at high framerates
Fix switches on Avenger
Fix a rare crash when skipping forward through levels
Slow down homing missiles to match the original game
Fix some hi-res sprites so they use fullbright effects
Add HD loading screen
Weapon Wheel now always has weapons in the same place
Add animation to Death Star Plans and Nava Card
(PC ONLY) - Compatibility Fixes

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

And they didn't even get to release anything.
After Rune 2, that might be a blessing in disguise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

i actually forgot microsoft has a perfect dark reboot in the pipeline, they've been working on that for 5 years and it's still very quiet
Everything that's floated out from behind the scenes about that over the years can be summed up in one word: boondoggle. If it ever gets released, it'll probably be by accident.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Arkane Austin was a ghost town after the post-Redfall brain drain. Even if they weren't shut down, they'd never be the same again.

I heard rumors earlier today about Tango bleeding staff, which'd track since Shinji Mikami left and when big-name creatives and other higher-ups leave studios, other people tend to follow or take their own cue to leave. (Id lost a good few veterans to Oculus when Carmack got fired, for example - just one chapter of their pre-2016 strife).

I wouldn't be shocked if both studios had been brain drained by circumstance beyond the point of capability.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

UHD posted:

carmack was fired? in hindsight that doesn't surprise me, but i didn't know his departure was involuntary
I misremembered, sorry - he left, but got sued afterwards. Definitely not amicable.

People definitely followed him to Oculus, though, like the late Jan Paul "MrElusive" van Waveren, who was responsible for the Quake 3 bots and the OpenXR standard.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Amusingly, the departures of all four of id's cofounders were more-or-less involuntary.
The only pre-Bethesda Id co-owners I can think of who went out on their own terms were Jay Wilbur (was he a co-owner? I know he was a founding member), who left after Quake 1 shipped and has been at Epic since forever, and Kevin Cloud, who quietly retired back in December.

Tom Hall either quit, was fired, or a hazy mix of both simultaneously during the development of Doom.
John Romero was fired around the time of Quake 1's release.
Adrian Carmack quit in 2005 and took Id to court over attempts to force him to sell his share of the company.
John Carmack left during "Doom 4 1.0" development and got sued by Bethesda over allegations of taking code over to Oculus with him.

A pretty torrid history, really, but it's easy to forget since other studios have been way the gently caress more torrid in recent history.

Speaking of great games with torrid development cycles, noted indie developer Zane_Rocks_36 popped back up today to announce that Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer will be coming to Playstation and Switch on May 15th... with a mysterious teaser at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOr3g9TQyYM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PO'ed Definitive Edition has been officially dated. It brings its trying-to-redeem-a-3DO-game stylings to the world next Thursday, on May 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9Io9kOIvU

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 9, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its just not a game type that can be scaled to a mass audience because core parts of what makes it an extraction shooter makes it alienating to a lot of people
CoD DMZ was pretty cool, but then they discontinued it sooooo...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

(This is the same Aleph One-based Marathon that has been free for years, just now available through Steam)
Looks like there's achievements, which is a nice little addition for those that care.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K23Y0fOCRGQ

You know what, I'm just gonna say it: I think these various "just add raytracing" things look bad when you're done marveling at how technically impressive the new lighting is. They just completely ruin the tone of a lot of these old games and remind me of those dumb "4KHD 3D Models Texture Filtering" Doom mods. Now I'm obviously not saying raytracing is an overall negative, I think it can look good in newer games custom designed around it, but this ain't it.
Chronicles of Riddick original version vs. remaster lookin' rear end

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity now have Steam pages.

One neat thing from the replies to that thread: Eat The Path, a plugin that attempts to recreate the Quake 2 Remaster's compass functionality. A little wonky, but very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Still no word on ch 2 release, but I don't use twitter which is where I imagine it'd be. I heard Fallen ACes was supposed to drop soon, but that's also up in the air it seems
Fallen Aces Early Access is scheduled for this Spring. When exactly is unclear, but it’s probably not hugely far off.

Cultic Chapter 2 has no release date yet, but Jason semi-regularly posts clips on Twitter when he’s not getting into arguments with YouTubers about Phantom Fury, so progress at least seems consistent. Based on those, I can authoritatively hypothesise that it will have escalators, ladders and a level set in and/or near a mall.