Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ToxicFrog posted:

The same question applies to the other games I mentioned too, though. And the answer is usually "because it makes the game more fun, more accessible, or more aesthetically pleasing". For example, improved lighting can add a lot to the atmosphere without changing the map design (see Descent for an example), and improved controls make the game more fun to play in general. In the case of things like support for 3d models and high-res textures, there's no immediate payoff, but the community will often take advantage of such features - see the Marathon high resolution packs (which seem to have vanished from the sourceforge site for some reason), or the HRP for Duke3d.

That sounds way easier said than done. Like, how do you just "improve the lighting" of Marathon? Basically every surface has it's own lighting which effects how bright things are on it, and how light the texture is, there aren't any light sources in the conventional sense, it's all simulated. High-res textures are a lot more sensible, but I think 3d model support almost never pays off, even super high profile games like Doom don't really make very good use of them outside of items or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I liked Hexen but I liked the level design. If you pay attention it's usually obvious where you should go next.