Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been thinking about playing some classic Q1 multiplayer, and it seems my best options are bots. Most of the bots I've seen seem like a good challenge for someone that's only been playing Quake in SP mode for the past 6 or so years. Regular Quake netgames has all sorts of weird mods and poo poo, while Quakeworld's "population" consists of a small group of Europeans criclejerking each other that have played QW nonstop for 12 years with the occasional USA Custom/MegaTF game. Am I pretty much right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

There's Deathmatch Classic, which is basically a port of Q1DM to the Half-Life engine, maps included - but I don't know what the community is like these days.

I played it about two years back, and pretty much every "player" was a lovely bot that can only run in a straight line and fire, kinda like the ones you see in TFC these days.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

DMC is actually fun when you can find the uncommon full server.

Back when I played it in like 2008 or something, there was about two or so hour window every few days where there were actually a decent amount of human players. Otherwise, it was all dumbass bots. Has that changed any, or is everybody pretty much gone?

For kicks, I just booted up DMC, and only one person wasn't a bot. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Unreal 1 is one of my favorite FPS games ever made because of how it "feels". The combat, the wide-open spaces for you to explore and the music all combine to make a game that just feels right, and definitely isn't something you'd see come out today. I think its stood the test of time just as well as HL1 has.

Then you look at Gears of War and realize that Epic could never make something like Unreal 1 again in their current state and you get all :smith:.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Why don't you just wait for Black Mesa Source? :v:

I remember back in 2008 when BMS had a chance of actually coming out, some people on their official forums said they weren't going to play HL1 for the first time until after BMS was released so they wouldn't be "spoiled". I wonder how that worked out for them. :v:

Anyway, you should grab the original HL1, not HL:S. HL1 has neat SP mods that are great, like Azure Sheep, Heart of Evil (pick up the HD version, which gets rid of the worst "puzzles" in it and a way better ending) Point of View, USS Darkstar, They Hunger, the Todesangst series, Poke646 (tho the sequel is a bit bleh when compared to the original) and Afraid of Monsters. There's also a lot of MP mods, but I'm pretty sure that almost every HL1 MP mod except Sven-Coop is pretty much dead at this point. None of these mods work in HL:S.

The Half-Life Improvement forums have a lot of good-looking custom models in case you think the originals are unbearable or you want a change of pace. These are only for the original HL1, so there's another reason to pick it over HL:S.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mr E posted:

Speaking of HL mods, does anyone have a steam-working link to that old Scientist Slaughterhouse mod? I remember having a blast with that years back.

I think it should work fine. Drop it into your "half-life" folder under "Steam/steamapps/(yourSteamusername)" and restart Steam. After restarting, you'll find it in your games list.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Little word of waring for anybody that hasn't played the Nehahra mod for Quake 1 yet: it is really hard at the start. They beefed up the enemy AI so that it can fire while running and boosted their speed, so you tend to get your health picked off by Grunts' hitscan shotgun blasts while Enforcers spam their laser guns, but all you have is the starting Shotgun and a Super Shotgun that's borderline-worthless because of how fast the enemies are. Once you get out of the city levels, it starts picking up, but it really hits its stride when you enter Episode 2, where it goes from irritating Grunts and Enforcers everywhere to an excellent Quake 1 medieval-themed episode.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 17, 2011

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Vaos posted:

Oh god Rocket Crowbar yessssssssssss. I remember loving around with this mod in lan parties so much at the time, with Single Player maps you could even morph into the monsters (including the Apache Helicopter, the Gargantua, the Ninjas), poo poo was crazy fun.

You can play Rocket Crowbar in SP? Holy poo poo. Downloading now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Q2 is weird because it's SP is weaker than Q1 (which was just slapped together in a few months) and it's strength back then, multiplayer, is completely outclassed by Quake 3 today. Its like it tried to be great at both SP and MP, but fell flat on both counts (in retrospective. At the time it was considered incredible). I think this can be seen today; the Quake 2 community consists of a few odd MP servers and no real work on mods and levels, while Q1 and Q3 are still quite active.

SP had too much focus on collecting stuff. I don't mind grabbing a keycard or two, but it starts getting silly after a while when every hub boils down to you having to travel through an entire series of levels in order to grab an overglorified keycard. I liked the Big Gun level because it didn't try to bullshit you with collecting "the tactical security Pyramid key" or whatever; it gave you a boss, a switch to press after killing him, and then running like hell to the exit.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Then again, I don't really get all the Quake 2 hate either. I absolutely loved it back when it was released and I still replay it from time to time. It was loving amazing when it came out.

Even though Quake 2 is the low point of the Quake series, I still replay it every year or so. I have no idea why, but its just one of those games I can go back to, even though its got garbage like the bad "Mine" hub and just above average level design.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't get this. sure the mission packs are just awful, but Quake 2 itself had nearly perfect level design. they did a really good job of sprawling you all over the place and making sure you had constant forward progression. and they always made sure you were blowing poo poo up so that you could feel all badass for clearing an objective.

And while i'm thinking about the mission packs, gently caress Ground Zero. it's got points where you can't actually avoid damage or just flat out make it difficult to do anything. TURRETS ON TOP OF DOORWAYS WITH OVERHANGS, OH BOY! FOUR ROCKET TURRETS WHILE YOU FIGHT A MEDIC, A GLADIATOR, AND 3 OF THOSE loving SPIDER CYBORGS, THIS IS TOTALLY DOABLE IN ONE TRY!
Turrets in a quake game are the loving worst decision ever.

I thought The Reckoning was way worse. The start area has a canyon maze filled with some ape enemy thing that take forever to kill because you only have the lovely Shotgun and Blaster. Then you start getting into the tech bases and they're as linear and boring as possible. The "new" enemies that are actually recolored, bullet-sponge versions of the Gladiator and Brain enemies. Even the new weapons suck rear end. It's like they took everything good from Quake 2 and replaced it with lovely and boring-looking levels

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For anybody that wants to play Quake 1 custom single player levels, Quake Injector is easily the best way to install and play them. All you need to do is select a level (or level set) you want to play, click on "download" and it'll install it for you and let you run what you downloaded without having to gently caress with command parameters. It really should go into the OP.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For E1M1 UV, I usually snipe the shotgunners near the armor with the pistol, then grab their shotguns and the armor and I'm good to go, as far as equipment goes. With the other shotgunners, you just need to keep your distance and their shotguns won't be as harmful as a point-blank shot.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

treat posted:

Yeah, cutscene 0. Honestly, I just wanted to see how long it was.

I was immediately turned off by the first level of Nehahra, too, but after reading that it gets better I'll give it another shot.

The first areas are a bit bleh because of the tweaks they did to the Grunt and Enforcer to make them harder to kill, but once you get to Episode 2, it goes from average to good techbase levels to AAA-quality medieval levels.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Basically what it comes down to is I've played vanilla wads that were way, way worse than KDiZD (go gently caress yourself, Eternal Doom).

Oh god, Eternal Doom. I have no idea how that one managed to get any sort of favorable reviews; its filled with bullshit backtracking and "what the gently caress did this switch" do moments. Its like everything bad about Doom map making in one package. I think I got to the second level before I said "this is poo poo" and deleted it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

Dude, I'm with you. I can't play these new FPS games, they're so plodding and boring. Duck behind a wall, shoot at peoples muzzle flashes, hope for the best, ugh.

The Halflife engine felt so perfect, granted, I knew all the little movement tricks, wall running, bhop et al, but never the less, nothing will ever stack up to flying through the air with a tau shot and switching to my crossbow and putting a bolt right into someones head as I fly over them.

HLDM was my fps salad days. I had every weapon bound to a key around my movement keys and could whip up five dozen different combos to kill people.

Only got the 9mm and some trip mines? Hey set them where you think someone will run and shoot it before it arms.

GOOD TIMES.

Then you go onto a HLDM server these days and its either Brazilians acting like idiots or brain-dead "bots" running around in every server. EVERY server has at least one mod that does something stupid, like make the shotgun fire bubbles. :smith:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kakumei posted:

Misri Halek was an absolute nightmare on Hardcore mode, that much is for sure. gently caress that level forever.

gently caress Misri Halek in general. Who thought that putting a slow-placed maze level that takes like an hour to complete was a good idea in a MegaWAD that's all about huge monster hordes?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought Dissolution biggest weak point was the maps. They felt more like mediocre Doom levels than anything you'd see in Quake. Its especially noticeable when you go straight from Scourge to Dissolution.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Just beat Quake 2 and I actually liked it more than I remembered back in the day. My favorite part is how you push keyboards into walls to interact with computers. :v:

And while I think a lot of it might be because of the engine's age, I really like how most of the enemies just kind of totter around because they're actually bio-mechanical hybrids that are barely functional. Kind of a neat touch.

e: man The Reckoning is NOT a good expansion pack. you know how half of Quake 2 was sewer levels? well a good three-quarters of this dumb piece of poo poo are. the enemies get more new weapons than the the player does and the new weapons we are given are loving terrible. railgun enemies around every corner and i just got to the end of the game to find out that for some retarded reason i now have to backtrack across THE ENTIRETY OF THE loving GAME and you're given no indicator of where you're actually supposed to go. when people wax poetic about great gameplay mechanics that first person shooters left behind none of those are here in Quake 2

I liked the "jury-rigged" feel that the Quake 2 enemies had as well. It felt as if the Strogg slapped random body parts onto a basic robot body and called it a day, like with this thing. A modern game with cyborgs that look like the Quake 2 cyborgs instead of the usual clean-looking Borg wannabes would be really cool and unsettling if they got the right designers and animators working on them.

And yeah, Reckoning sucks rear end. The beginning part with the cave areas and the stupid-rear end monkeys is the worst part. The level design feels like copy and paste and the monkeys are annoying to kill because your strongest weapon at the time (the Shotgun, which is also slow as gently caress) takes more than one shot to kill, making it feel like its takes forever to clear out a group of them. I don't think there's any reason to use the lovely new weapons, especially once you get the Grenade or Rocket Launcher.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think the ironic thing about the shift to MP was that, in the end, most of the MP heavy-hitters are mostly SP games these days. The extremely high skill levels in most old-school MP games these days make people say "gently caress this" and go to play SP, whether it be a classic SP campaign (Quake, Doom, etc) or with bots (UT1, Quake 3). Why bother going into MP and getting torn to bits by some Eastern European/Scandinavian guy that's played a game 10 years in a row and knows every trick when you can hop into an already-made SP level set or with bots that don't know eveything, like item spawn times, and are actually fun to fight?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tippis posted:

It wasn't obvious and, as mentioned, it wasn't really well implemented, but yes. Iirc, you just started a multiplayer game, picked Vortex Rikers as your map and co-op as your game type.

With the Gold edition (the easiest way to get your hands on it these days), I think it's a bit more intuitive to get it started, but the problem of having to die and restart with your dispersion pistol when the map assumes you have eightball launchers and flak cannons is still there, as is the same (limited) amount of pickups as in single player, so it's quite easy to run out of ammo even if you manage to keep your weapons.

There are mods out there that improve coop so it isn't that much of a hassle. See this page for an overview of all the neat coop mods that have been made over the years.

If you're into just killing monsters with a few buddies, there's Monster Hunt for UT1 and MonsterCoop (I think that's what its called) for Unreal 1.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm playing UT 1 with bots right now, and I gotta say, the bots in Unreal Tournament 1 are still impressive. I've played CTF matches where they managed to get the maximum amount of flag caps without me doing anything besides some last minute support for the flag-runner and they're pretty good on defense.

Then you look at UT 2004's brain dead bots that need their hand held by a human for everything other than basic DM. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

At godlike, UT99 bots are leaps and bounds more difficult than their UT2k3 and UT2k4 counterparts. I've got both UT99 and 2004 installed on my laptop but find myself going back to the former when I want an actual challenge out of the game (although Ballistic Weapons v2.5 keeps me coming back to 2004. One of the best mods ever, really.)

My favorite UT2k4 bot moment is when they crouch right before they fire, even though crouching does nothing for weapon accuracy like in other games. It's a free kill, though, so I can't complain that much.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zeether posted:

So I played some of the singleplayer in Quake and came across an amusing glitch:

Shot this guy with a nade while he was in mid leap and he just froze for a few seconds, then jumped over here and froze again. :stare:

Also, the Darkplaces effects are awesome.

I used to kill Friends that glitched out like that, but now I keep them around because it looks so amusing, especially if you're playing a custom level where you have to backtrack.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zeether posted:

I just finished the first episode of Quake, and I was surprised at how fast I cleared it. The maps seem to be less involved than Doom's. It's no wonder Speed Demos Archive began as a Quake speedrun site, sometimes I finished levels in 2 minutes or so.

When you've beaten the levels normally, go back and use things like rocket jumps to make your own shortcuts throughout levels. It makes the levels a lot more dynamic and interesting.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zeether posted:

I started nQuake and browsed some servers. The one server I could find that was populated wouldn't let me actually play for some reason and there were a bunch of people spectating. I have no idea why.

It's probably a 1v1 match and the server is set so that everybody past the third or so player is forced to be a spectator.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

treat posted:

To run Quake mods, create a shortcut to the source port .exe and add -game quakemod in the target line after the quotations wherein "quakemod" is the name of the folder containing the mod, which you should have extracted to your quake directory. Run mod with shortcut.

Also worth noting that Darkplaces can be a huge pain in the rear end with broken functions and features, bugs and crashes. The only benefit to using it is the extra eyecandy. Otherwise, nquake is the better port in every way.

People over at QuakeOne have been raving over DirectQ, a Direct3D port that can work on a lot of systems and has good mod support. I haven't tried it out myself, but it sounds good if you want plain Quake 1 (not QuakeWorld, which is what nQuake is a port of).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I played Quake 1 DM yesterday after years of not playing it, and man, I totally forgot how much it revolves around the Rocket Launcher. I can't imagine anyone playing it without the setting that makes weapons stay if someone picks them up, because otherwise it becomes a handful of people dominating the entire game with the RL while everyone else plinks each other to death with the Shotgun.

Still fun as hell, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Im not into speed runs but this was really entertaining to watch and loving impressive, not only because its done in like 14 mins, but the fact that the guys used nightmare. Some levels completed in 7 seconds is loving amazing and in some others when completed you can see all the enemies moving around like crazy looking for that loving blurry human-being that got past them.

The best speed runs are when they almost leave everyone alive because the surviving monsters will attack the camera that shows the level while you're looking at your statistics. I never knew cameras could be vivisected by Fiends.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Wait, you mean the bots have individual personalities/configurations?

Well holy poo poo. I never knew that. And I played a looooot of UT99 botmatch back in the day.

Go to the "bots" part of the "practice match" window and there's a button that says "Bot Config" which lets you do things like rename the bots, change almost everything about them, and give them different skins. They can also use custom models, so feel free to take a trip back to 1997 to 1999-era online gaming and give a bot or two Homer Simpson and Barney the Dinosaur models.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

The "Loque" bot is really obnoxious. His accuracy stat is maxed out and, unlike basically every other bot, seems to barely be affected by difficulty. He especially has a tendency to chain-snipe you and do stupid amounts of damage if gets a minigun.

I've had many a "what the gently caress I just got sniped 2 times in mid-air, oh it's Loque" moment in practice games and half-filled servers.

A few months a go I saw a Youtube video that claimed it was showing an aimbot user in a server; it was Loque. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does anybody know if the latest NVidia drivers for the GTX 260 fix the issue with games that use the Quake 2 engine where they crash a few seconds after you boot them up (like Sin, Soldier of Fortune 1, etc)? I'd update and check myself, but Rage is working fine on my PC, and I don't want a driver change just to check if some old games work to mess that up.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Before my 260 died, I thought regular q2 was working fine. I use egl quake 2 now, and it's actually not bad at all.

http://egl.quakedev.com/files/

Quake 2 works fine, but other games that use it's engine crash pretty soon after you start the .exe up.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh Skulltag forums, never change... :allears:

Man I feel all weird and poo poo reading that. Last time I was in the Doom community (around 2007ish) you'd never see people spergin' over guns like that. I guess its what happens when a generation raised by games like CoD discover how awesome games like Doom are.

At least Quake 1, 2 and 3 are still safe from people like that. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Soon mate, soon they will say that the nailgun shouldnt be in quake because who actually shoots nails in wars and rocket jumping is not balanced enough :psyduck:

This is sad, they're youngsters that started to play FPS games with Halo and call of duty and know nothing about being a badass and plain fun. These are the people that just poo poo every real weapon video in youtube with their "videogame knowledge" or like this, puke nonsense on forums. :commissar:

It makes me happy that no matter how many rear end in a top hat "new generation" FPS people appear and play classics and try to poo poo them up with gun nerd stuff and trying to make things "more balanced", they'll never touch Quake 1 because of how unbalanced and unrealistic it is. A multiplayer game where an "unrealisitc" weapon (The Rocket Launcher) completely dominates the game would make them poo poo their pants and never play it again. :unsmith:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cephalectomy posted:

Definately rise of the Triad. The gibs were pretty satisfying and consiering most of your arsenal makes things gib in that game thats a really good thing. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for quake 1's gibs just because they are so bouncy and come with that ridiculous noise.

The Quake 1 gibbing sounds are some of the most amusing video game sounds out there because of how funny they sound and they give you the feeling that you completely hosed somebody up when you gibbed them. They make using the Rocket Launcher so much more fun than the other weapons.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Encryptic posted:

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who finds those sounds incredibly amusing. I used to love playing Quake deathmatch because of the frequency of a messy gib explosion in all directions complete with one of the two or three pleasantly squishy and popping gib sound effects.

I played some Quake 1 DM with bots a few weeks back and the constant gibbing and telefragging sounds throughout the maps actually had me laughing. I don't think there's any other game out there that would make blowing someone into pieces so funny.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I decided tonight to hook up my old xbox emulation box to my little Commodore monitor in my office. "What should I play first," I wondered, "I want to see how stuff looks on this monitor"

I picked SNES Doom. "Haha, I've never played this before, I wonder how it is?" I thought, in my naivety.

I regret my decision. Boy oh boy is it bad. :gonk: I mean technically it's amazing they got what they got running on the SNES, but... yeeeeeech. Between the godawful low res textures [which I understand, I mean I get that, but drat still], the 4fps framerate and the enormous amounts of lag [shoot, wait, hear gunshot] and music playing at random tempo... I'll take brutal gzdoom thanks

[was any of the slowdown present on an actual cart or is it all a result of emulation?]

FUN FACT: The Doom SNES port doesn't not use the Doom engine at all. The developers made their own engine and showed it off to iD in hopes of making a Doom port with it. iD was impressed so they gave them the go-ahead. That's why it has way more content than the other console ports, but feels clunkier than Doom on the PC does.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Got a question for you guys: Are you guys interested in me making a post or thread about all of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament betas out there? There's been quite a few Unreal-related leaks this months, and I think it'd be fun to tell goons about all of the leaked stuff out there, including things like a 1996-era design document for Unreal 1, a recently leaked Unreal Tournament 2003 beta made in October 2001, the Unreal 1995 beta and a "new" Unreal Tournament 3 beta made in late 2004.

There's also a few Unreal 1 betas floating out there that haven't been discovered yet that were leaked by a warez group. I think it'd be neat to see if a few goons that were doing things like warez back in the 90s know about these unseen betas and help find them.

I think a thread would do better than a post here because it covers stuff that this thread doesn't, but I'm not sure how much interest an actual thread would get.

EDIT: Hell, I could probably do a good post here just on Unreal 1, and leave the Unreal Tournament stuff for another day/thread.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Doom is 18 years old today!