Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brutal Doom and Alien Vendetta really go do hand in hand, due to AV's love of filling rooms full of 'popcorn' enemies, resulting in regular scenes like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

I combined Brutal Doom with Delta Invasion.

On that note, have there been any good Invasion packs released in the past year or two? I remember a big community one that may or may not have imploded due to community drama, but haven't actually seen anything major come out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy crap, Maxwell where did you get that map? I tried Google but all I could find were dead links.

It's part of the Delta Invasion pack for Skulltag. You can find a working mirror here.

You'll want dtinv3-m.pk3 & dtinv3c.pk3

My question stands though - other than UT&T, Armageddon and Alpha/Delta (Alpha in included in Delta invasion), any other good Invasion packs of note?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 15, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

New version of Brutal Doom out! ZDoom and Skulltag versions.

Changelog posted:

- Fixed a bug in Skulltag causing enemy zombies and friendly marines to desync during the fire animation when playing online. (This bug was causing the server understand that the monster is staying in a position and shooting against players, while clients could see the monster roaming around, but unable to shot it)
- Gore decorations (like dead marines, gibed corpses, etc.) now have large blood pools around them, and if they are close a wall, it wil generate blood decals at nearby walls at game start, giving the level a gorier and bloodier aspect. (I suggest turning your cl_maxdecals to 99999, so, the decals spawned by decorative gib piles don't vanish after some time)
- After killing any enemy, a large blood pool will form under it, and unlike the small ones, this one will last forever. (This feature and the above are the reasons for calling this version the "Bloodier and Gorier".)
- Now, all small monsters can be used as Meat Shields: The Zombiemen, the Shotgunguys, and the Imps. To use a monster as a Meat Shield, first you need a Berserk Pack. Then, when one of the aforementioned monsters gets grievously wounded (unable to attack, unable to move/crawling, and bleeding to death), punch him in the chest. Also, now the Meat Shield still can absorb damage when you are firing, but only damage that comes from the left flank. Also, Meatshields now can be destroyed if they absorb too much damage.
- Two new fatalities included: Now, fatalities can be performed against Arachnotrons, and other players in a Deathmatch game.
- Fixed a bug with Archvile dealing only 10 damage per attack. Now it can deal up to 80.
- Now the players can salute each other in Multiplayer pressing Z or X (each of one is a different animation). Also, if you press Z or X during a fatality execution, you will make a "victory pose" right after the fatality is concluded, while the camera still is in 3rd person.)
- Lots of new special effects for monster projectiles. A new animation for the Baron of Hell when he uses his special triple ball attack.
- Reduced smoke from weapons, and many projectiles and effects, to improve framerate in old computers.
- Reduced Minigun's recoil. It will work better now, both in singleplayer and multiplayer.
- When using Minigun's Alt-Fire, accuracy will be increased by 40%.
- Seems like the bug causing captured Marines to be executed by monsters before the player could see them returned in 0.10b, but now it's fixed again

Get yer murderface on.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom??

They're the replacement for the completely useless invisibility powerup. If enemies have seen both you AND a hostage, they'll try to kill the hostage, though, so you've got to work to keep them alive.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I have no problem with some indicator that I'm about to die but Brutal Doom's actually makes it hard to see.

It wouldn't be a problem if they reduced it to maybe 1/3 of its current opacity. Same with the monster-blood splattering on your visor effect.

Bardeh posted:

Thanks for that. I think I might have to give that regenerating health module for Brutal Doom a try, I've got 4 health at the start of this level and it's a bitch with the hitscan enemies.

It really does help. It only regenerates you to the point where you can soak up a couple of bullets, anyway, but that's the point. It actually gives you a chance to fight your way out of a mess rather than just being completely hosed.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 20, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Progress reports on Brutal Doom!

It just gets better and better.

I reckon that the opacity of the blood-splats on the visor and cracks/bullet-holes could be dropped to about half what it currently is, though. Make it a little less distracting, perhaps. I need to find the contact details for the creator and suggest that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've not downloaded it yet, but the much-awaited Project MSX mod for Doom 2 just came out, albeit in Beta 1 form. Not widescreen-friendly right now, and not all the new enemy types implemented yet, but it's the first public build.

From the gameplay videos, it basically looks like Halo-style gameplay, with regenerating shields, offhand grenades and other such things, balanced out with enemies being really fast and aggressive.

Downloaded: Initial thought is... this works really well, actually. Probably the most coherent 'weapon mod' I've seen. Lovely HUD, and some nice weapon mechanics, like the autocannon having a heat gauge, and the altfire on it being a vent function.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 6, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

Hold alt-fire on your fists to charge up the loving Godhand!

I love this mod.

I love the little flash as it channels all of your shields into your fist, for that one almighty cataclysmic man-punch. So satisfying.

Ammo is fairly scarce so you can't spray and pray in this mod. Use grenades where appropriate, conserve healing, etc. It's impressive how well all the Halo-style elements (and even a little bit of Crysis for suit powers) mesh with the arcadey Doom gameplay.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

Is the game just really FAST?

Yep. Enemies are meant to be super fast and aggressive, as your weapons are now mostly rapid-firing, hitscan and very powerful. Apparently more weapons and enemies are on the way, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xythar posted:

But why would you want to turn Doom into a modern FPS with regenerating health and all hitscan weapons and aaaargh :mad:

Because it results in a really interesting mix of fast, twitchy Doom gameplay but with a lot more resource management as you juggle weapons and grenades and health/shield boosters.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A modern dual-analogue stick is pretty much perfect for descent.

Left stick: Facing
Right stick: Strafing
Analogue triggers: Throttle
Bumbers: Primary/Secondary fire

And that then gives you 8 more buttons and the D-pad for all the secondary functions. I have clicking the left/right sticks as roll left/right, although if you wanted to economize, you could just have it as a hold-toggle on one of the buttons.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seriously, if you're playing Descent 1/2, then the best controller for the job is a Xbox 360 gamepad or equivalent. Full analogue movement across all axes, and plenty of buttons to spare. D2XL binds it all dead easy. 30-second easy, even.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tippis posted:

L/R stick for strafing and turning; shoulder buttons/triggers for movement forwards/backwards and rolling… but that only leaves the pinky and ring fingers to fire weapons, and there aren't any buttons for those :(

I've got click-left-stick as 'hold to roll'. Beyond that, I've got most of the other functions bound to the face buttons and D-pad though.

All the actual core gameplay controls I've got all without having to move fingers at all - left stick facing, right stick strafe, triggers throttle, and LB/RB as primary/secondary fire.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

How do I go about running brutal doom? I downloaded the gzdoom version (and gzdoom) but I didn't see it listed in the wad menu, and the readme didn't shed any light on this.

The quick and dirty way: Drag and drop Brutal Dooms WAD onto your GZDoom EXE.
The longer but cleaner way: Get Quickly Launchering GZDoom from the OP and use that to launch mods in the future.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

The Assault rifle is your sniper weapon, just tap fire fast, dont need much recoil management. The new chaingun is awesome, original one is just a speed-up pistol wich was kinda boring, while this one is jaw-dropping. I find myself using mostly the pump action shotgun, brutal doom balanced it nicely that is a headshot machine for every small-medium enemy, while i just pop the SS for really tight corridors. You can kill just fine imps and zombies with the pump shotgun at like 150 feet or even more now.

Yeah, while the gore is awesome, the best thing that Brutal Doom does is make sure that even when you've got a BFG and a ton of cells, you'll still be using your 'weakest' weapons as they actually have situational uses.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Purple D. Link posted:

This is pretty fun, I'd also like to play this in multiplayer. It feels like Killing Floor with Doom stuff.

Stronghold is pretty great. I do recommend that any multiplayer server run the Survival Addon plugin, though, which fixes most of the issues inherent in playing online. It removes Time Attack mode (and replaces it with just replaying stages), and gives each player a fixed number of lives per level, rather than a persistent stock.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Is there a way to remove Time Attack mode for single player?

Nothing stopping you from hosting a multiplayer game but solo using that plugin. I reckon it's a general improvement over vanilla Stronghold.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Most of those problems exist without Brutal Doom, but I'm pretty sure the increased lethality of Shotgunners and Meleeing Imps turns what would be a relatively easy fight into a real challenge.

Guess it's balanced out by the minigun making some otherwise-difficult encounters into cakewalks. The Brutal Doom balance is definitely different to regular, but I like it, generally speaking.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 17, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Encryptic posted:

Finally got around to trying out Brutal Doom. Actually really like the fact that it improves on the pistol by changing it to the assault rifle and the more aggressive enemies are nice. The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

The next version is lowering the density of blood and smoke effects to make it less harsh on older machines.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

No, this is grossly simplified and someone who's made one can correct me, a WAD and a PK3 are the same. They both modify the game.

A PK3 is a bundle of WAD files in a renamed ZIP file.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aside from the loss of auto-repeat on the shotguns, I really dig the new Brutal Doom update. It doesn't feel any less gory - the reduced effects were fairly redundant and overlapping before, and the new visor-splatter/damage/bleeding effects are much clearer than the old ones.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While there's a bit less blood and smoke in Brutal Doom now, the gibs are a lot clearer and a lot chunkier, too. Enemies seem to have more defined death animations, too - smack a pinky demon at point-blank with the SSG and its entire upper half explodes, and leaves a huge red splat on the opposite wall.

Edit: For the lazy, I uploaded a tweaked Brutal Doom (GZDoom variant) with autofiring shotgun and SSG reenabled. I was considering doing a variant with a full-auto rifle that reloads every 15-20 shots, too, but I thought that might be a little overpowered.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Durrr - I apparently forgot to post the link to my autofire-restored tweak.

Also, if you want to replace the taunt sound, it's pretty simple. Just rename the PK3 files to .ZIPs, open them up in windows explorer, and replace Sounds\Taunt.OGG in V12 with the one from V11. Not so sure about the splash-screen music.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

You can actually open .pk3 files directly with 7-zip, at least on my machine! Saves a few minutes of trouble anyway. Thanks for the tweak also.

7Zip shits itself when I attempt to insert files into the Brutal Doom PK3. I think it uses a slightly weird file system. Windows Explorers built-in ZIP support handles it fine, oddly enough.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Because I can, I decided to start doing a series of videos on youtube - I'll annotate it for greater information and clarity later, but for now, here's Doom Done Different: Brutal Doom + ZPack (Part 1) for y'all to watch, and laugh at as I almost die about a dozen times. Managed to do three levels in one take, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

They're some really interesting maps, too, and the definitely lend well to the sort of action movie vibe Brutal Doom gives off.

Any other really good GZDoom-exclusive map packs out there? It seems the community has a boner for 'Vanilla' or 'Boom compatible' stuff, and avoids using the new features of ZDoom if at all possible.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for exposing me to ZPack, though. It's seriously an awesome map pack, though you aren't kidding about the difficulty. I got to the third map without dying before succumbing to some bullshit acid trap (not counting the 9 or 10 times I died in Map 1 before getting on a roll.)

There's a reason why I didn't pick Ultra-violence for my video. Like a lot of modern Doom mods, it treats the difficulty options as Easy/Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Impossible.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

Goon-approved PC games site Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a small feature on Doom mods today. To be honest anyone who's already been through this thread won't find a lot new, but still.

That article prompted me to record another Doom Done Different video. Currently encoding a chunk of gameplay of Wild Weasel's NAZIS mod + the Epic 2 campaign which it's designed to be played with. It's like a long-lost Wolfenstein game!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

More up on youtube.

Doom Done Different: NAZIS + Epic 2

Lovely combo, these two. Ammo conservation is totally a thing here, as you see later on.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The funny/sad thing about the Doom/Wolfenstein rooms in Rage is that they're vastly more colourful than the environments they're hidden in, and the player gun model remains looking bleached and washed-out even when you're in them.

Also, for those having trouble running multiple Doom mods simultaneously, get Quickly Launchering GZDoom from the OP. It's super handy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just uploaded another Doom Done Different video. Another chunk of Brutal Doom + ZPack gameplay. I particularly like the second level there - Site X - short and sweet and incredibly bloody. Next time, I think I'll do Unloved, which is a really clever little campaign.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright, I want to play Doom again and want to try that Brutal Doom mod, running it through the default campaigns. I am, however, a collosal moron when it comes to these things and have no idea what to do without breaking everything. Can someone give me an idiot proof guide for installing the mod with the Steam version of Doom? :saddowns:

All you need from Steam is Doom2.WAD - just drop that into your GZDoom directory (get the latest build from here) and that'll do all the work for you. Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife also work, but Doom 2 is the requirement for most mods.

As for launching mods, Quickly Launchering GZDoom (over in the OP) is a really handy tool for that. Just drop that in your GZDoom directory and run. Set your IWAD (core game data file) as Doom 2, then add whatever mod files you want and launch.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I assume GZDoom can be launched via Steam, so I can still have the IM UI?

Should be possible, but if you're launching via QLGZD, I'm not sure if the Steam overlay stuff will work.

I tend to play with it windowed at 1280 x 720, so it's not an issue though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

GZDoom works fine with the overlay, I usually launch it through Steam and have never had a problem.

But does it work if you launch it via Steam launching a third-party launcher?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Incidentally I just shot an Imp in the groin and watched him scream and trash as his internal organs bled out of the gaping wound. I do enjoy this mod. :allears:

If you're berserk, you can grab enemies that are stunned like that and use them as shields/projectiles.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

It makes me happy that no matter how many rear end in a top hat "new generation" FPS people appear and play classics and try to poo poo them up with gun nerd stuff and trying to make things "more balanced", they'll never touch Quake 1 because of how unbalanced and unrealistic it is. A multiplayer game where an "unrealisitc" weapon (The Rocket Launcher) completely dominates the game would make them poo poo their pants and never play it again. :unsmith:

Part of the reason I've laid so much gushing praise on Brutal Doom is that it actually improves the balance of the Doom weapons in really logical and carefully tested ways. Doubt you could much change it from how it already works without breaking something badly. Only tweak I'd make would be having the chaingun spin-up altfire automatically cancel if you try to move.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

I'll never get tired of this educational video by Sky May Be/Blessed Engine's creator. I wish every iteration of DOOM came with suicidal barrels.

Dude has an amazing radio voice, which makes his utterly goofball sense of humor and penchant for breaking games horribly all the funnier, really.

If I remember right, he was one of the folks behind the infamous 'Deus Ex: Sunglasses At Night' unwalkthrough, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I've never even tried it in Skulltag co-op. It does work right?

Should work fine. Might mess with Invasion mode, but any normal campaign should be totally fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

He is, along with the Hacker's Guide to Sin and similar anti-walkthroughs for Arx Fatalis, several of the Ultima games, and others; his website is here.

Holy poo poo, he did another as recently as August? Dude has been making me laugh on the internet for a great many years now, and I can only read his stuff in his voice now, which somehow makes it funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there, however, a way to get the PSX levels and sounds through Brutal Doom? I've been looking around but not had much luck. For all I know it's technically impossible to combine these two things, but I really don't know much in that regard.

Should be doable, if you set the load-order in QLGZD so that Brutal Doom comes first, and then any PSX stuff comes after.