Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

The last few levels of Dead Space 2 did something like this and were loving awful.

Only because the monster wasn't so much 'unkillable', as 'hyper-killable'. If you had any sort of explosive weapon (fully upgraded javelin gun is hella OP) you could gib it every time it appears and just treat it like any other monster in your path.

As the post above says, Alien: Isolation does it right. Ideally, you avoid it, but you have a limited set of resources that you can use to distract or ward it off, but it's always intense and you're never quite 100% sure if your plan will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress. Well, that'll save some time.

The best thing about that button is that it does the whole thing, right down to putting door-rail textures on the sides. Really saves some hassle.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looking pretty likely that Arcane Dimensions v2.0 will arrive for Quake's 20th anniversary late next month. A lot of really good existing Quake maps are being remixed and updated for it:

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/721118401175883776 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/721179815320137728 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/718868948398252032 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/723641276739018752 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/723992351996280832 https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/734476930624421888

Edit: Tweetdump!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 22, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

catlord posted:

drat that looks good. How will this work with the Quake Injector if you already have it installed through there? I don't think anything I've downloaded through it has had an update before.

Quake Injector usually has downloadable update files for patched mods that haven't been totally re-uploaded, or you can just manually update it. Shouldn't be an issue either way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

david_a posted:

All you guys making Doom levels is adorable :allears:

As a teen, I tried my hand at Doom mapping briefly, but just couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just impatient, but I'm willing to chalk it up to the tools being way worse back then. GZDoom Builder is an astounding upgrade. Also, during the first hour I spent learning it, two hotfixes were released - to say it's being actively updated is an understatement.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nokiaman posted:

Absolutely awesome. Cities actually feel like cities and I liked the new music.

I was really impressed by it too. The backlash it got at launch was just bizarre. The entire concept of the mod is a game-wide overhaul of Deus Ex, so when almost every complaint is 'THIS ISN'T 100% THE SAME AS BEFORE', I kinda feel like the audience were missing the point? There were also a few really upset that it was (at first) a Steam exclusive and supported by the publisher.

One thing that has surprised me is that they've supported it pretty well since release. Lots of patches and bugfixes, but they're also working on differentiating the difficulty settings. On higher difficulties you get different enemy placement, better equipped guards (sometimes dropping better tech early), etc.

Edit: I notice that once that Day 1 backlash died down, the Steam review score has been ticking slowly upwards ever since. 100% positive recently, it says. Deus Ex fans are weird.

Edit 2: Talking about retro revisions, I checked on Serious Sam Classics Revolution, and these patch notes...

quote:

So, let's get to the changes:
Added a "Custom Message" editor property to enemies to give them custom Netricsa messages.
Added a new biomech enemy type: "Spawner".
---> Added a new beheaded enemy type: "Vaporwave". ,<---
Added the ability to make custom crosshairs. The game will now list all crosshairs that it can find in the "Textures/Interface/Crosshairs" folder instead of only the 7 default ones.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 25, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Alternatively, skip Hexen and go straight to Serpent: Resurrection, which is still being updated.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=23024

Absurdly huge and ambitious mod that has most of the good bits about Hexen and very little of the bad, plus has a good range of weapons to every character.

Edit: Ha, it's grown! Last I checked, there weren't 7 characters.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 26, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

Speaking of Doom megawads, I started playing A.L.T., and I'm really liking it.

ALT is cool. Fascinating mix of realistic and surreal scenarios. It definitely doesn't ahere to the usual rules of Doom mapping, and that's great. Not the most refined and polished maps, but some of the most creative.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, we all know that Doom has a shitton of randomness to it, especially weapon damage rolls. I just realized that Beautiful Doom handily externalizes all the weapon info, so that I can pop this open in Slade and make a version with normalized damage on just about everything.

Anyone interested in trying MeanDoom once I'm done?

Edit: Bah, looks like not everything is easily externalized. Anyone better at this want to try?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 28, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

The DUMP3 timetable has begun! This one is a little different in that there's two categories you can take part in: maps (which is nice for like half this thread nowadays!) and weapons.

Really looking forward to this. Got too much on my plate to map for it myself (I'm terrible at it anyhow), but the last one was a really fun mix of personalities and ideas. DUMP 3: Tons O' Guns Edition sounds exciting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

To celebrate Quake's 20th, I uploaded a lazy-people's repack of the original shareware Quake with the latest WIP Quakespasm build, all pre-configured and ready to roll. Download, unzip, run Quakespasm.exe and voila! 1080p, 60fps Quake, set up for WSAD + Mouse standard controls. Tried to his a sweet spot between authenticity & shiny with regards to the settings, so expect chunky pixelly textures, but none of the jelly-vertex issues.

https://mega.nz/#!I8JnjbLA!94cinquWWTqTEfW2HSkGap4jJc2tV2fALNgXdF7JbKg

See the readme for more info, but if you have the full game, just copy over the PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files and you'll be fully upgraded, soundtrack included. I also included that alternate weapon model pack, and mentioned in the readme how to disable it if it's not to your liking, although neither the alt-weapons nor soundtrack will appear unless you're running the full version.

If you've been having any sort of technical troubles, try this pack and tell me if it alleviates them. Or if anything breaks.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 22, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

:banjo: :worship: perfect, thank you! I'm picking up the game where I left off as we speak.

Rad. Tell me if there's any technical problems. I tried to make it as pick-up-and-playable as possible. Not that it took long, heheh. Only things I'd be worried about are performance-wise on very weak GPUs. I set 4xFSAA, 16xAF and used NoVis transparencies by default. The transparencies are the only thing that would really affect FPS though (and on vanilla Quake maps, probably not even then), and you can toggle with [ and ].

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I figure it's technically a tiny bit grey, but it's also a ripped and reconverted soundtrack from a 20 year old game that isn't even included in modern re-releases. Being brooding ambience for the most part, it's not really worth listening to outside of the game anyway. It's also included in the repack I just linked above.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I personally don't think Quake has held up quite as well as Doom, but it's still a drat good game, and some of the mods (cmon, Sock, where's AD 1.5?) absolutely blow away anything in the base game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

Works perfectly for me. I already had Qspasm installed but was too lazy to command line in all the chunky pixels and various other settings. Thanks for doing it for me.

Yeah, it's a bit fiddly. The options menu is pretty much vanilla, with most of the more advanced stuff being hidden away in console commands. Glad it helped! It's the latest WIP build so should be compatible with everything on Quaddicted aside from Nehahra, which is an anomaly. Glad it helped!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

haveblue posted:

high-res 640x480 24-bit TIFF color screens

I think the Quake community just loves that look - it stuck way beyond Romero's early stuff. Sock even insists on even uploading Youtube videos in 4:3. Dude is absurdly skilled, but definitely old-school.

On that note... Where's Arcane Dimensions 1.5? Can't wait to play those new levels.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What turned me off about Quake was a rather lackluster double shotgun. Shambles take like 4 shots, and the sound effect is weak as heck. Quake 2 would have a much better one, although with an equally crappy sound effect

Part of why I included that alt-weapon model pack with my repack. Replacing the 'two grey rectangles' double shotgun with one much closer to Doom 2 helps a lot. It's purely aesthetic, but it feels nicer.

The double shotgun plays a different role in Quake to Doom, anyway. It's your default melee-range weapon, wheras the super nailgun, rockets and grenades are your ranged damage dealers.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 23, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As mentioned, Arcane Dimensions is THE best, but the Rubicon Rumble Pack is no slouch either, featuring several of the largest Quake maps ever made. Warpspasm is a pretty brutal campaign. You really can't go wrong checking out the top rated ones on Quaddicted:
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

For something a little more subdued, a chap named DBThanatos is also doing a DOOM 4 DooM mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCeC4JAuOyQ

This one looks very slick. Helps that the trailer is well produced, too, but the weapon upgrade UI looks sweeeeeet.

A.o.D. posted:

He needs to get rid of the DooM 4 sound samples, or he could end up getting Cease and Desisted by id. That poo poo happened to the Generations team because they directly imported assets from another game.

Theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. It seems to just be broadly accepted that Doom and Duke3D mods these days are half made out of plundered materials for the most part. The Doom mod ecosystem just seems to quietly exist in its own corner of the internet, for the most part now.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 8, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Doug The Eagle is still doing stupid poo poo in videogames and occasionally chronicling it on Youtube. He did one on crossing Fallout 3's Potomac river using nothing but piled up explosives.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jeeves posted:

Definitely look at some of the more 'modern' maps made late, like ones by Sock. It's quite frankly amazing some of the stuff people are pulling off with the 20 year old engine, especially since it has much less design limitations than the 2.5D Doom does.

Sock's work (a lot of it in Arcane Dimensions) is rad as hell. Also, the Rubicon Rumble Pack is a good'un and includes some very, very large maps - thankfully with checkpoints - and some very impressive architecture.

Hurrah for Visplanes. I finally got round to Vispatching my vanilla Quake and expansion PAK files so that I can use transparent water without it hitting performance.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ziggurat is pretty neat. It's basically Heretic/Hexen with The Binding Of Isaac's level structure and progression systems.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

You are not wrong. Thief 3 Gold http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143658
It only worked for a few missions before it would crash out on me though.

They've been updating the Sneaky Upgrade (the big unofficial fanpatch project) quite a bit lately, so perhaps that might be fixed now?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I gave up and bought the PS4 version.

Before I upgraded (660ti to 1060), the Doom 4 MP beta almost never hit 60fps on my machine, even on lower settings. I went with renting it on PS4, and it ran like a champ.

I'll probably buy the PC version when it's cheap later on now I've got a PC that can handle it maxed, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Faffel posted:

I have an i5 3470, 16gb of RAM and a GTX 660 OC2 and I can't even hit 60FPS at 1080P in Doom 4. Only game I can't play at 60FPS in TYOL 2016. No real excuse for that, considering it doesn't even look all that poo poo hot for the performance issues.

It's a VRAM issue, at least according to DigitalFoundry's testing on lower-end hardware. The game just doesn't handle well with 2gb. Apparently any 3gb or higher card will run it like a champ.

Once you eliminate that bottleneck it should run at 60 on most PCs.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

They both use a shared pool of 8 GB of RAM (with at least 2 GB reserved for system use because they can both run other applications at the same time as a game) for the CPU and GPU, which are integrated on the same chip die. There's additional caching RAM but that doesn't really matter.

It's typical for 2 or 3 GB of that available RAM to be "dedicated" to the video stuff.

Yeah, they probably allocate JUST enough VRAM out of the memory pool on consoles to hit a constant 60fps. They're not having to deal with hardware variance on PS4, at least. Plus they can probably code a little closer to the metal on console.

The PC version is just a bit of a VRAM hog. The moment you hit 3gb (even the budget cut-down $200 1060 now has that) you're golden.

Still, they did patch it quite a bit after release, so maybe it's not bottlenecked as bad as it used to be.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you're looking for a Magic Bullet type upgrade to get most modern games running 1080p 60fps, max detail, the GTX 1060 is it. $200 for the budget version, $250 for more VRAM/cooling (futureproofing, mostly). It's more powerful than the old 980 at under half the price.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 15, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Not an "Early FPS" but I believe there was some chat here about Devil Daggers a while back? Looks like it's part of the latest Humble Bundle.

Devil Daggers is rad as hell. Quake 1 + Geometry Wars with the single most terrifying soundscape I've heard in a shooter. It's just disconcerting to listen to. Also incredibly stressful, as literally everything can kill you in one hit and things escalate constantly.

With the latest updates, you can now watch other players (or your own) replays from a top-down perspective, and there's some new late-game enemies introduced after the end boss that appears around the ten minute mark. Only a couple of players have ever seen that boss, let alone beaten it, so...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

nigga crab pollock posted:

Its very very brutal. it's basically how far you can last the gauntlet. The world record is like, five minutes. it's good

The word record is now nearly 15 minutes.

That guy is freakishly good, though. The replay is dizzying to watch in first person and still bloody impressive top-down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of enhanced retro stuff, I've been playing around a bit with this experimental GZDoom build, which includes a couple features (physically correct lighting + specular highlights and SSAO) which aren't quite ready for prime-time yet. The results are really quite striking. It still looks like Doom, but just plain better.

https://github.com/dpjudas/dpDoom/releases/tag/ssao4

To make the improvements from SSAO more obvious in this comparison, I disabled textures. WAD is Valiant, map 01.

Adds a lot of depth and detail, doesn't it? It's not such a huge difference on very retro maps, but anything with fine details and greebling on the walls is hugely improved. These features should be added in the next major GZDoom update. This experimental build has a couple of problems, especially regarding mods that use different sound formats, so it's not compatible with a lot of big gameplay mods, but for anything vanilla-ish it's fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

You might want to give QZDoom a try. There's the same enhancements, plus a truecolor software renderer, and it shouldn't have the same sound issues as the SSAO test build.

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=196

Cool! Thanks! Yeah, seems to be a more advanced version of that test build. I seem to be struggling to get it to actually use OpenGL mode, though. The advanced software renderer seems really impressive though, nearly as good as GL!

Edit: Aaah, had to enter 'Vid_renderer 1' in the console. It defaults to the new-gen software renderer.

Edit 2: Ah, seems QZDoom has even better ambient occlusion, but doesn't have the high-end lighting model yet. Guess we're seeing a bit of an evolutionary period for GZDoom.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, the thing with SSAO is that it really makes detail stand out. Not that big an effect on old-school maps, but more modern ones, it really fleshes out the image.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record, shadow warrior 2 has probably some of the most satisfying shotguns i've ever used in a videogame.

They're not so amazing audio-wise, but It's the combination of massive knockback, big splatter of blood, and often taking off a limb (which the enemy will try to fight without) that sells it. Plus, the reload animations are often cool.

Once I'm done with work today I need to see if I can apply the Akimbo mod to the Doomstick shotgun (Doom SSG), plus use the double-ammo mod to make it fire both barrels at once, boost reload speed, and I've got the Marathon Man.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Amon26 is a very cool dude and made In The Kingdom, a Wolfenstein-ish horror FPS proof-of-concept for a larger game that never came to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lsimHL6cJ0

https://amon26.itch.io/in-the-kingdom - It's free for the next 2 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

catlord posted:

Why was Tchernobog there.

Getting away from the sizzling hot takes, slap a couple of rocket launchers on the sprite and it fits the Doom64 aesthetic pretty well as a revenant stand-in. It only really sticks out if you know where it's from.