Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Bad foley doesn't even seem to just be an indie problem anymore. The weapon fire and reload sfx for Halo Infinite, a game which shares its title with its budget, sounds like complete dog rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43SC3Bl4RG8&t=146s

If I'm reloading a big chunky assault rifle from the 26th century it better produce more than some mild clicks and clanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I like Dusk a lot but I do really think Cultic kinda does everything it does but significantly better. v:shobon:v

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Black Mesa is a soulless remake.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I thought it was cool as hell and a clear labor of love. Pretty jazzed about a sequel. YMMV with regards to the price point + game length tho.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What the hell are yall talkin about

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks for filling me in. Crusader rules and Brigador devs drool.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Need a mod for Half-Life where you play as an OSHA inspector *during* the alien invasion but you're still on the clock and have to audit violations you see while fending off the aliens.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

skasion posted:

This is what G-man is doing there, and also why they called in the military. The dimensional cascade/aliens just happened at the same time

Valve could have absolutely said "He's an OSHA inspector" when people started speculating what the G-Man's deal was but unfortunately they're a conglomerate of cowards :argh:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

That reminds me, everyone always says The Doom 3 theme is straight up just Lateralus by Tool but that opening bass riff is ALSO just taken right from Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My pain will never end

Easily disproven by having eyes and a brain.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nope, I'm half an hour in and this is some of the most obnoxious dog water. I'm out.

Convex posted:

I actually redownloaded M2 and Infinity yesterday and good lord the game feels so much better to play with modern mouselook, increased FOV and above 30 fps. I still stand by my assertion that Marathon 1 is not fun though.

I'm doing another playthrough of M2 right now with a mod that adds a soundtrack. Having a good time. I always thought of M2 had an official soundtrack it would sound similar to Alexander Brandon et al's work on Unreal.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There is a pretty cool fan remake of M1 called Marathon Resurrection for Unreal Tournament.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

It adds the shotguns and the flechette smg into the arsenal :haw:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

Do you have a link to that? One of the things I love about Marathon is the soundtrack, so hearing 2 doesn't have one is disappointing.

I need to jump back into Marathon, I set it down a bit ago and never got around to picking it back up, but I do quite like it.

Here's the one I use

https://simplici7y.com/items/m2se-music-plugin/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

Imagine how bad its gonna be, haha. Someone should totally play it, as a joke.

It could be me, but you know, as a joke.

I too as well also will play it but unironically because I might have brain damage.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not an issue because it’s not gonna come out

Bet you it does and when it does you gotta play it and post about it :clint:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I really dig Minerva Metastasis' vibe and overall level design but the writing is loving atrocious. Mod author's attempt to emulate 90's Marathon Bungie rampant AI irreverence falls flat as gently caress. Every line is truly eye roll worthy. Did Adam Foster end up working on anything interesting after getting hired by Valve? I assume he did something on Alyx.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Squeezy Farm posted:

Oof...dave szymanski in the steam reviews for the chud fps. Guess I'll be skipping the PO'ed port :ohdear:

Dave didn't work on PO'ed....???

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Next big System Shock remake patch drops on the 11th, which includes Lady Hacker, rebalancing, and an entire new final boss among other things/fixes.

https://twitter.com/SystemShockGame/status/1775901205694193898

Groovelord Neato posted:

The review posted shows one of the billboards with a Star of David talking about the masters controlling you and the creator defended it by saying modern day Judaism is a kabbalah cult and not the real mccoy.

Oh dear.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 4, 2024

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Sure am glad I bought Unreal on GOG ages ago....

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is there a way to play Marathon 1 with Marathon 2's graphics & sprites?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just need mod that changes lady hacker's nails to black.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The System Shock love :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wish I liked Supplice but man those levels just aren't fun to navigate at all.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Holy gently caress.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Halo Collection worth it if I never played any Halo games and don't care about multiplayer?

Halo CE has a great combat loop, but the worst level design in the series, and has some truly dog water moments. Still worth playing.

Halo 2 is....ok I guess? There's far, far, far, far too many hold out sequences that seem to go on FOREVER though. 2 is also where they relied entirely on regenerating health which can result in some truly bullshit moments.

Halo 3 is the Good Stuff. Well paced, lots of variety. There's one particular element that gets incredibly tiresome immediately that you'll know when you see it that repeats throughout the campaign. Terrible idea. Overall, really fun, and 3 contains what I think is the best level in the entire series.

ODST is fine. The music and vibe are the real highlights but the inbetween mission segments are kind of boring.

Reach is the GOAT. MVP. THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT. You got the levels, you got the combat loop, you got the variety, you got the music, you're fighting elites again, you got a customizable Spartan, you got an ending that makes you do this:

I could talk about Halo Reach all day. The last good thing Bungie ever did. :allears:

Halo 4 starts off promising and then immediately shits itself when you start having to fight the other enemy faction. Quite possibly hte most unfun to fight enemy in a modern FPS. The pacing is so off because the TTK for these things is so wonky. Also, 4 is the most stingy wrt ammo in the whole series. The soundtrack rips, though. Don't let the Marty O'Donnel knob slobbers tell you otherwise.

Never played Halo 5, but the soundtrack to that one is also incredible and I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm a bitter rear end bitch but man sometimes it's so so so frustrating to see aggressive mediocrity get rewarded.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Two levels in to Phantom Fury and....I don't hate it! (yet???) Definitely feels like it needed more time in the oven already though, there's a weird lack of ambient SFX among other things. No major glitches so far. Much improved from the demo but I mean that fucken thing was dire, it wouldn't be too hard to make something even a little better than that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My biggest issue with Total Chaos is that your character's arms stick out sooooo far in the first person viewmodels. It's ridiculous!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm about halfway through Phantom Fury and here are my thoughts so far:

Here's the thing, this type of game? It's 100% embedded into my DNA. Going on an adventure + shooting mans and monsters and collecting key items to progress? That's heaven to me (why yes, Resident Evil 4 and Village are in fact my favorite games in the entire series). So in terms of its presentation and general vibe, I really dig the poo poo out of PF.

That said, it's very clearly an unfinished game, but tragically not even by a whole lot. Another 6 months, even a year in the oven, and this would have been fucken stellar. There's just a handful of halfbaked concepts and not enough playtesting done to really make it a smooth enough experience to recommend, even though overall I'd say I've been having fun with it.

Good:

Guns feel great, fun to shoot, good sound and reload animations (except for the dual SMG reload. They just lower off the screen. WHACK.) It's 100% a standard FPS loadout but I'm a weirdo and I like that poo poo so it works for me. Plus, the loverboy, ion bow, and bowling bombs from Ion Fury are back. The triple barreled shotgun just deletes guys from existence.

I wish I understood what everyone's beef with the pixelated texture look is but I like it. I don't want every game to look that way but I think it's cute! Everything is colorful and readable.

Music whoops rear end (when it plays)

I like the addition of 'key items' used to progress. Access cards, keys, explosives, at one point you get a sort of industrial buzz saw to cut through some locked gates. That sort of stuff is cool. Adds to the adventure feel.

Mid:

Vehicle sections are inoffensive but also not particularly engaging. They do not last long at all however, so they get a shrug from me.

There's a gun that fires....freezing....gel....stuff?? It's utterly useless.

I would complain that it needs more enemy variety, but Half-Life 2 got away with it in my book so I'll be fair and say they should just refine the enemies that are already here.

Upgrade mechanics feel a little undercooked. Making the actual upgrades really distinct would help. The assault rifle should have got a regular underbarrel grenade launcher god drat it!

There's one area that completely lacks ambient SFX and it's really jarring! Also there's no sound effects when in water of any kind. Guess they ran out of time to implement.

Bad:

Level flow is fine 70% of the time. The other 30% can be infuriatingly unclear. Some more playtesting could smooth the progression out.

There's 3 enemies in the roster that are just terrible; a big hulking stomping mutant, a suicide bomber, and tiny explosive drones. The mutant's stomping attack does tons of damage and happens too frequently, the suicide bomber can zip right around a corner and gently caress you up too fast to react, and the drones are just a nuisance.

The story is incomprehensible. The main mcguffin of the plot is some device called the Demon Core but it's never introduced in any meaningful way. Shelly just asks a character "What can you tell me about the Demon Core?" before it's even introduced as a concept :psyduck:

Shelly's one liners seem like they ran out of time to record actual ones. They're so.....lame. I ended up turning them off in the options menu lol v:shobon:v

Despite all that, I really have a soft spot for this jank rear end thing. I do feel bad for the devs, they got colossally hosed over by atrocious mismanagement. Hopefully some more patches can get pushed out to smooth this thing down because I want it to be actually good.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 27, 2024

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Completely unrelated but plutonium might actually be evil.

Mordja posted:

So in other words, true to the Duke3D that inspired it...

Yes unfortunately! I hate it!!! I wonder if DNF 2001 was going to have those fuckin predator assholes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Borderlands series sucks total rear end in a top hat and I will never forgive Gearbox for popularizing (or inventing?) the loathsome looter shooter genre.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Every Claptrap line makes me feel like I am owed financial compensation from Randy personally.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Beat Phantom Fury. My previous post still stands. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite its problems. Luckily, I don't think it has any real foundational flaws like Graven (well, aside from the wonky storytelling but....idk who cares that much about that?), so I think with some patches and tweaks it can be turned around. Now to wait for Cultic Chapter 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

My main concern was that it'd fall apart in the later levels, how are those?

They need more polish for sure but they aren't as bad as I had been lead to believe. If you're interested in playing I'd say wait a bit for some more patches to sand some of the edges down. A lot of my complaints have been stated on the Steam forums, and the devs have taken note.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally figured out the vibe for Phantom Fury. It feels like one of those games that started as a total conversion and then got picked up by a publisher. I mean this in a good way.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

So the Gunman Chronicles of our day.

You know what. Yes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wanna do another Half-Life 2 trailer for the 20th anniversary later this year. Time for another playthrough to get footage.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Played the first level and a half of Phantom Fury, and for all of its alleged flaws, the difference in shooting from the beta to release is like night and day. They really should have put out a new demo just to prove that they fixed it.

Yeah I'm really baffled as to why they didn't. Also baffled as to why they put out that original demo in the first place!!! Waaugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I ain't clickin on that. That's dumb asf