Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I think I've figured out how to make :siren:infinite spawning Protozoid Slimers:siren: using Build.

If you shoot an opened Slimer egg with the shrink ray and wait for it to return to normal size, it will hatch another Slimer. So if you rigged up a wall-mounted shrink ray and trained it on a slimer egg, it could keep regrowing (and therefore re-hatching) the Slimers.

Maybe link it to a teleporter so they can spawn in from vents or something. I'm thinking a scenario similar to the "fight off headcrabs with a crowbar until your cargo elevator reaches the bottom of the ramp" one from Half-Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

For those of you with Doom 2, I posted this in the Gaming Confessionals thread earlier - it's the Doom PSX total conversion, which consists of one .PK3 file for the music, and another for the main game itself. Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmzhdmthjzy

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Purple D. Link posted:

I am loving Doom. I can't remember the last time I got this sucked into an FPS. I beat episode 1 in one sitting and got through most of the second episode a little while ago.
I honestly never expected to see someone say this in 2011. :D

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

diegetic poster posted:

On the easiest difficulty, the later levels of the new episode are comparable to Thy Flesh Consumed on ultra-violence. It's pretty brutal. But when you finish it you get a cool Doom outfit for your avatar :smug:
It's made harder by the fact that there are no backpacks anywhere in the episode. Also I thought the final map and Cyberdemon battle was really anti-climatic.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 6, 2011

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

This will always be Doom 3 to me:

I always considered Painkiller to be the 'real' Doom 3, personally.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I've just had a go at running Ultimate Doom with that 10x mod. gently caress me, Episode 2 is brutal. I can't wait for E4M1. If anyone's interested I'll have another crack at running a private server for it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Older versions of GZdoom were able to disable the OpenGL functionality in the video settings, but I'm not seeing it there anymore. It's still able to do it because I have it disabled (kept the old config file when I updated the source port).
I've got the latest version of Skulltag on my PC, and it has this option. It sucks because I hate software mode, but OpenGL slows my computer down too much to be playable. I miss being able to mouselook straight up or down.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Where is it found? IIRC it was under Video Settings > Render (Software/OpenGL). Not that it matters to me as my laptop can't handle OGL mode, but I'm just curious.
Exactly where you described it. FYI the version of Skulltag I'm using is 98d that I got from skulltag.com, so maybe you need to upgrade your version. If not then I'm all out of ideas, I'm afraid.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Ah OK, I misread your post. Sorry about that.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

fishmech posted:

Is 10x supposed to make it so imp fireballs pass right through imps in their way? That's kind of annoying.
Yeah, it reduces clipping and hit detection, so you can even run straight through the extra monsters. Plus they can now climb stairs and jump off ledges to pursue you. Also, they're immune to crushing ceilings.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I found a mod for Quake last night (the Xoron Weapons Patch, in case you're wondering), but I'm having trouble getting it to work in Windows XP. I'm using Darkplaces but have no idea how to use the mod, which consists of a modified pak0.pk file.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Didn't see this posted yet - John Carmack gave an interview with Gamespot and discussed his plans for Doom 4 on consoles, and how it fits in with id's plans for Rage.

quote:

[...]in terms of Doom 4, what's the status of that?

I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but I'll tell you a couple of things. (Looks at media minder across the table.) So, as soon as Rage ships, the core tech team moves over to start making things happen on the Doom 4 project. There's me and the systems programmer types that have been on Rage for so long. We're going to move over to the Doom team and a lot of resources are going to migrate over there. And that's a necessary and key aspect of being a larger company; it gives us this ability to migrate people between the projects because it was something that we were really feeling the pinch before this. If you've got 50 people working on a project, it's not useful to have all of them on day one on there; you really want to have a smaller team building things. Then at the end now, we would have a hundred people on the team.

That's the model that we're moving toward…being able to migrate parts of the company between projects on there kind of makes for a better schedule. And the only thing I've really talked about on Doom 4, technology-wise, is that we did make the decision that…well, my biggest pride and joy about Rage is that I won the fight for 60 frames per second on there, but it involves significant trade-offs. You can't have 30 guys crawling all over you at 60 frames per second at this graphics technology level because it's painful. It's a lot of effort to do that. But, we did make the call that for Doom 4, the single-player is going to go 30 frames per second on the consoles. So we can have 30 demons crawling all over you on there. But the multiplayer is still going to be 60 frames per second, so it has the quality feel that Rage has.
I'm actually rather excited to see 30-monster firefights coming to Doom 4. Let's just hope they learned lessons from Doom 3 and build on that.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Also, not sure about OSX, but my 360 controller works fine with GZDoom.
Really? I could never get mine to recognise the trigger buttons (which are apparently treated as a Z-axis instead of button inputs).

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I liked TNT. I'll concede that it had some really dumb level designs though, such as MAP04 (Wormhole) which had the exit positioned so that you could effectively bypass 75% of the map.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

an_mutt posted:

Playing the new Brutal Doom, having not played any others before and did that shotgun guy just reload? :psyduck:

And finding out I could move barrels during E1M7 was one of the best moments of the whole episode - i spent the next couple minutes arranging them so they blockaded traps and went my merry way throughout the level, leaving to blow them up at the end with a few rockets. :supaburn:
Try punching a barrel in Berserk mode... ;)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Vertigus posted:

You can still pick up barrels after berserk mode ends, too.
Berserk mode doesn't end. The red effect fades but the damage boost lasts for the entire level. That's the case in both vanilla AND Brutal Doom.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Essobie posted:

Descent used AZSD by default (and that was actually what I used right before someone tri-chorded around me in my first duel, taught me about WASD, and that was when I started to become "good at video games"). It is important to note that even back then I realized that while WASD was a better idea than AZSD or certainly arrow keys, ESDF was superior in every single way, so THAT is what I used.

And it wasn't until Tribes 2 (and I think Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2) that ESDF was used as a default configuration.

Of course, Tribes 2 was pretty garbage, and you tools probably went in and changed ESDF to WASD if you even played it, and we still to this day are plagued by a horrible base control scheme for FPS games on PC. :colbert:
If you think that's bad, when I was a kid I used to change every game's controls to NSEW (North South East West). Looking back, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find the Quake 2 expansion 'Oblivion'? I had it on a 1999 PC Gamer coverdisc which has since gone astray. All I could find online was a single screenshot.

It's a really cool campaign with AI bots who fight alongside you, new weapons including a Deatomizer and Donut of Death (fires a shockwave in all directions), and new monsters, including Deatomizer Soldiers and Gunner Spiders.

E: Nevermind, found it!

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 24, 2011

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Hexen would have been great if it had borrowed Tomb Raider's 'focus the camera on newly-opened doors for a few seconds' mechanic, so you'd actually know what was going on. Then again I suppose that was a little too advanced for its time.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

As annoying as Hexen 1 is, the PSX port adds lovely collision detection and removes half the monster animations (so the sprites always face forward regardless of the actual direction the monster is moving in), and it takes up an ENTIRE PS1 memory card. All 15 blocks of it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In all fairness, you shouldn't be fighting those creatures. You should poke in, get the attention of the Cyberdemon so that it fires on the Barons and then clean up the leftovers.
A better strategy for that map is to clear out the Cacodemon room to the north, hit the switches, head to the north-west room with the demons on the high ledge, clear THAT out, then go get the BFG from the secret area. Then return to the Baron+Cyberdemon room, grab an invulnerability powerup and go hog wild :toot:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Xythar posted:

I remember finishing episode 1 for the first time and not knowing what the word "badasses" meant. I think I pronounced it internally as "ba-dass-es"
My initial thought at age 10 was "well the barons kinda look like donkeys and rear end is another word for donkeys, so I just killed two big donkey monsters!" :haw:

Also, does anyone remember the MAP08 sound glitch that caused the volume levels to stay really loud, no matter where monsters were in the level, or what your actual sound volume slider setting was? I remember hearing the Baron noise, freaking out, and rushing to the slider to turn it down, only to find that OHGODOHGODOHGOD THESE GUYS ARE SO POWERFUL THEY CAN'T BE SILENCED AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :gonk:

I was a very confused 10-year-old.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

So I'm replaying Tomb Raider 3 for nostalgia value, I got to the Nevada desert level, and noticed this:

The bad guys have Lost Souls on their jackets! :haw:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I think that's actually the PC port. But yeah, you're right. PSX couldn't handle 3D textures very well, so wall textures constantly warp and stretch as you pass by. The technology really was in its infancy back then.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Before the advent of 3D cards, quite a few games that prominently featured texture-mapped polygons would exhibit this problem regardless of platform. Perspective-correct texturing required a fair bit of processing power, so not bothering with it would give a nice performance boost at the expense of all that nauseating warping and stretching.
Eh, I guess I only ever noticed it on PSX. Mind you, there are some (poo poo) Xbox games that have this problem as well.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Where can I find the latest/most stable version of the Hierarchy Of Chaos mod for Doom? Google is just giving me links to out-of-date versions.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

victrix posted:

gently caress you Revenants :mad:
This cannot be overstated. Revenants are cocks who will quite happily fire missiles into your face at point-blank range as a counter-attack. :argh:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I seem to recall a ZDoom megawad composed of Quake maps, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding it (if it even exists). I know there's a Quake 2 WIP project, but the video I saw was definitely "Quake 1 maps for Doom." Anybody know what I'm talking about, or if I'm just crazy?
Was the whole WAD full of Quake maps? Because the first map of Enjay ZDoom 2001 is a remake of the Slipgate Complex. The rest of this wad's levels aren't Quake though.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Kazvall posted:

Alright, I am putting together a 4gb flashdrive with skulltag and all the wads I can manage. This way at my next lan party everyone can experience the doom glory.

Throw out all your favorite skulltag compatible wads so I can rejoice! Big props for including the download links! (I just had to reformat my HD and I lost EVERYTHING)
Just off the top of my head (and Doomworld megawads folder)

Alien Vendetta
Doom 2 Reloaded
Epic 2
Fragport
Kama Sutra
Plutonia 2 (requires you to run Plutonia.wad instead of Doom2.wad to load textures properly)
Reverie
Revolution! (filename is TVR.wad)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I'm guessing Quarantine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilYD4Fs8l8

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

For what it's worth, Eurogamer have today posted a retrospective of Doom and discusses the atmosphere it had. They even go so far as to say that it makes Wolfenstein look like a "cartoon shooting gallery".

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Until this thread I had no idea that slimers were so hated.
My posts in this thread should come with trigger warnings.

I'd like to see some kind of mod that replaces them with something cartoony. Like a :woop: smiley or something.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 17, 2012

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

You can summon Doom 2 monsters/items in Doom 1 using the appropriate console commands. They don't show up since the relevant sprites and sound effects don't exist in Doom 1, but they're still there in function. Typing SUMMONFRIEND ARCHVILE in Doom 1 and watching enemies suddenly leap up into the air and die is amazing the first time you see it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

an_mutt posted:

I'd love to see somebody take a crack at altering Doom 1 to incorporate Doom 2 enemies and weapons. Megaspheres weren't a thing until Doom 2, were they?
IIRC, one of the Doom2 wads on the Maximum Doom CD is actually a full remake of Episode 1, with extra Doom 2 monsters and items thrown in. Can't remember which one it is though, but it's definitely on the disc.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I reread this thread earlier and saw the (legitimate) complaints about modern shooters such as COD being too linear. Then I found these parody fan videos. What would Doom and Quake look like if they were released today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

I showed the Doom one to my friend, who has grown up on games like Halo and COD. I could see his frown getting bigger by the minute. :v:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Project1 posted:

I haven't actually played any modern FPS games, I think the newest was Half-Life 2. I assume these are exaggerated, but have they really become so simplistic? "Return to the combat zone!" was especially scary.
I got a "Return to the combat zone!" message during a Battlefield 3 online match last night.

Project1 posted:

EDIT: I saw a while back a mod for the Doom engine games that placed weapons/enemiesetc. from any of the games into whatever map you're playing. So you'd be playing Doom, but find a weapon from Heretic, and battle Doom monsters along with Hexen enemies. Or something like that. Was it any good? Anyone have a link?
That would be Aeons of Death.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah that's something you see in multiplayer stuff, which is a lot more tolerable to me than big artificial obvious walls boxing you in. That's been in BF games since the beginning.
I dunno, I just find it jarring. The first online console FPS games I played were Gears of War and Halo 3, neither of which had that feature. I guess I'm just used to having total freedom to explore maps even in multiplayer games.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

What's the general consensus on the IDE vs Doomseeker debate? I've always found IDE more user-friendly, but I've heard lots of murmurs on the internet about how Doomseeker is 'better', although they don't usually explain why. Also, are they the best server browsers available, or is there a decent third option that I don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, has anyone made a Doom 2 texture pack that turns the Icon of Sin into the goatman? :v:

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 23, 2012