Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SavageMessiah posted:

Ok, this kind of thing gets asked enough that I think a little blurb is needed in the OP.

Here's a Brief Guide To Doing Doom Stuff:

Thanks for the guide, because I really do want some sort of frontend for all of this, but the launcher itself is acting strangely:

There is seemingly no way to resize and reveal those buttons, and I'm assuming I have to, as when I select the gzdoom.exe and directory (by pressing the slivers of buttons that are still visible over on the right), I still see no IWADS in the dropdown list, so I guess there's probably an 'apply' button over there somewhere that I can't see.

Hope you can straighten me out, because it seems helpful!

edit: ZDL is doing the same sort of thing, having buttons that I can't see. I run Win7 64 bit with 1920x1080 resolution, if that makes a difference. Thanks. :)
edit2: hahaha, ZDL Sharp looks even more jacked up. I probably need to update something in windows, Visual C++ files or something, I have no idea. I don't have problems with anything else, just 3 doom launchers. :argh:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mr_Person posted:

All of your text and buttons are around twice the size of what I'm seeing. Try disabling old fart mode in your display settings.

Yeah, that did it. I had 125% text size due to my resolution being stupidly high for how far away my monitor sits from me, and I never ran into a problem with it until today. Oh well!

Still, ZDL looked so insane, every piece of text and button were smashed into the upper left of the window, and the rest was totally blank. It was silly.

Everything works now though, so thanks! :)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Surprised no one mentioned this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/426/

Doom Pack is on sale. $8.70 USD

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Vintersorg posted:

EDIT: But yeah, both are perfection.

I really think they are both great, too. It's a natural progression, and they both have great unique maps.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there a way to get Steam to track my playtime with Doom or Doom 2 without having to play the basic .exe files? I want to use the launcher from this (or the last) thread, but I feel I might have to add it as a "non-steam" game, in which case I don't think it'll track my time. Ideas?

Also, I think it would be cool if I could find a list of goals for Doom (like achievements); sort of a "Doom 101". "Complete E1M5 (or whatever) with a pistol start." Beginner, intermediate, and advanced goals.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I already did those, haha. :) I mean a list of PC goals, using a certain mod perhaps, or a given famous fan-made map, and so on. I know it doesn't exist, but I wonder what it might consist of. I bet a lot of players would have a few 'achievements' that they are proud of. It'd be fun to see if I had any chance of repeating some of those.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

A year or so back, in an older FPS thread, I was introduced to a mod/addon for Doom which used a bit of actual jumping, big levels, lots of enemies, and so on. I can't remember the name, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it on the list in the OP. Shot in the dark...

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MrBims posted:

Perfect time to download GZDoom and go to town looking up WADS! I suggest starting off with The Ultimate Torment & Torture.

Will do, of course. :) Jumping in Doom is what confuses me. Does everything support it? Do many wads require it? How do you know? (Also, apparently it needs specially bound within GZDoom, right?)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MrBims posted:

Perfect time to download GZDoom and go to town looking up WADS! I suggest starting off with The Ultimate Torment & Torture.

Hey, you managed to pick the right one! It's exactly the map that I had in mind. :) You rock. And it seems that I *can* bind "Jump", although it hasn't seemed necessary in the few minutes I've played to look around.

Thanks again. Now I can earnestly play through all of my WADS without feeling like I'm missing something.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks. (Best thread ever)

So, I can't find a list of good 'goals', like I was mentioning, but so far, I'm certain I've beaten the original Doom on Ultra-Violence. I know I've played through Doom 2, but I'm not sure on what setting, so I think that'll be my next goal. Then I'll start digging into custom stuff with gusto. The only mod I'm using is the basic stuff that comes with GZDoom (pretty lights, etc), for now. Then I'll re-do Doom and Doom 2 (all eps) with Brutal doom, and branch out yet again.

So what setting for Vanilla Doom 2 would be advisable? Ultra Violence? I find Nightmare to be a bit silly with all of the respawns, especially when I don't know the levels all too well, and am searching for secrets a lot.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

Also, BLAKE STONE just popped into my mind.

I loved those games.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

fishmech posted:

I can't find this QLZD thing, do you have a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

In the OP, under "quickly launchering GZDoom". (Ctrl+F failed me, too).

It's the one I use, it's lightweight and good! I overwrote my profiles a few times because I'm dumb, but now it's great.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Roobanguy posted:

Turns out in Brutal doom kicking a zombie marine doesn't out right kill them! I learned this after kicking a shotgunner to focus on a cacodemon just for him to stand back up and shoot and kill me from behind!

Have you ever tried kicking the space marines who are tied up to poles? For all I know this isn't a Brutal Doom thing, but I had never tried it before and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Roobanguy posted:

You can kick them? I was sorta annoyed that I had to switch to my fists to do their thing.

I was surprised when I found out that 'their thing' wasn't just 'die after I shoot them a lot to release them from their misery'.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How does everyone feel about saving and loading while playing Doom? I find myself saving fairly often, but it really does sort of ruin the challenge, doesn't it...

Maybe if I knew the levels a bit better, but when I'm playing a level the first time, there are so many lovely "hey, monster appears behind you" moments that you can't really be blamed for getting hosed up.

But maybe I should try to save at the beginning of the level only. Or not even that, and simply pistol start if I gently caress up. It'll be like Dungeon Crawl!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

H2Omelon posted:

Now where's that goonsay smiley?

:goonsay:

Right there. But thanks for your comments; it's sort of what I wanted to see someone say. I think after I beat both Doom and Doom 2 with the brutal mod on UV, I'll switch to 'permadeath' mode and try on Hurt Me Plenty (3/5, right?) first.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Big D posted:

but fear im too spoiled now.

You might be surprised.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

H2Omelon posted:

Oh did you mean restarting the entire episode/wad from scratch when you die or just the level? Personally I'd advise just doing Ultra Violence one level at a time from a pistol start each time. The original Doom is also fun this way although I find Episode 4 a bit of a chore.

No, just one level at a time. I think I'll try it!

I also share your concerns about Scoredoom. Every level should have a pistol-start leaderboard, as well as whatever else. (For all I know that's the case, but it is sort of lovely if not)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mak0rz posted:

Or play pro and turn off Y-axis looking :kamina:

What's so pro about not looking up and down? Doom basically operates on one plane anyway. It just feels nicer being able to swing the camera around naturally...

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zero Star posted:

Really? I could never get mine to recognise the trigger buttons (which are apparently treated as a Z-axis instead of button inputs).

Yeah, that happens in a lot of games for some reason (Z-axis +, Z-axis -), but sometimes they still work as inputs.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mill Village posted:

Why did I not think of this? :doh:

Someone already has:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mak0rz posted:

Why are the insides not blue? :colbert:

Yeah! It wouldn't even have been hard to dye the cream blue.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm trying to play Doom 64 EX and it's working well, except there is no music. I found a link to a page that has some music, but the link is dead. (doom2.net)

Does anyone have a link to the music?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Chinook posted:

I'm trying to play Doom 64 EX and it's working well, except there is no music. I found a link to a page that has some music, but the link is dead. (doom2.net)

Does anyone have a link to the music?

Bummer, it looks like no one has a link. Doom2.net is still down, and I can't find the music using google. (All forums post I find link to that site which is not active). If anyone throws them up on a site for me I'll sing their praises.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Lork posted:

Doom 64 EX gets the music straight from the rom, so if you're not hearing it, there's a problem with either the port itself or the rom you're using. Have you tried checking the options to see if the music volume was turned all the way down or something?

Yeah. The instructions point out that I should go get music from that site. I don't hear any music and I've played with the settings. Oh well.

It's very different than Doom, though, the game itself. Seems sort of clunky, but I'm going to try it out and see what people like about it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ddraigcymraeg posted:

ScoreDoom updated to 3.0r3, Pistol Start Mode added, so individual level hi score attacks make more sense. You'll need to turn this mode on in the ScoreDoom Setup options screen. Information on other fixes & changes to ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST in the patch(es) on the 'news' link: http://www.scoredoom.com

That's great news, thanks for the info.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What's the difference between ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST? Does one of them include everything that the other does? ST seems to have online leaderboards, whereas Scoredoom does not, right? Is one of them more updated?

I'm mostly interested in doing pistol start runs and seeing how I compare with others, I guess.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The sequel to that game wasn't as good, or at least it didn't hold my attention as long (I beat the first one.) I was surprised that EF was good at all, being a Star Trek game (they are usually quite bad).

To be honest, it's silly that there are not more good Star Trek games.

on topic: What is the difference between a PK3 and WAD file, really?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Oh, yeah, reminds me of PK-Unzip, a program I used in 1995 or so on my 486 Acer. :) So it's just used by Doom engines, I get it.

Edit: So, scoredoom. I love it, but I feel bad because I used jumping in making my first recorded score:
http://www.scoredoom.com/profile.php?playername=chinook

I forgot that I had jumping bound and hopped up to get a health pack that should've been out of my reach. Shouldn't jumping be somehow disabled in scoredoom to prevent cheesing levels? Currently, it sure isn't. I feel dirty.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 8, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kakumei posted:

Nah, I jump all the time. I don't really feel like it's cheating, since there are plenty of wads that disable jumping entirely, so other than the basic ones (Doom/2/Final) I feel that if they didn't want me to jump, they'd disable it.

http://www.scoredoom.com/profile.php?playername=Tahlkora

It's great to have some new blood! Scoredoom is one of my favorite things to happen to this game in years.

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Hi, no, I did not disallow jumping, only if there is a MAPINFO lump forcing no-jumping. Some wads like Plutonia 2 have it. Initially this was so I could support zdoom specific maps, that required jumping. I realize that a majority of doom maps were not designed for jumping, but if everyone can jump in the map, then all is fair :) To me it adds some extra fun to old maps to use jump to find shortcuts. This is not much different than rocket jumping either.

Thanks! So when I select the difficulty on a map, does it not really make a difference in the score (or the actual difficulty)? I figure if I choose Nightmare, won't I get the same score as Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra-Violence? Or does that matter...?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I started and finished Opposing Force last night and liked it a lot. Felt like a half-life mod, which I guess it was, but a really good one.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Since I just beat the game, I remember that part well. I think the intention was "put on your night vision goggles with F and just run through and not fight a single one". It worked perfectly, and was pretty intense and fun. I did die once or twice, but it was probably the way it was meant to be handled.

Actually, I think I fired a few shots to draw them around one side of the tunnel, then ran around the back and gave them the slip. :ninja:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dominic White posted:

I've not downloaded it yet, but the much-awaited Project MSX mod for Doom 2 just came out, albeit in Beta 1 form. Not widescreen-friendly right now, and not all the new enemy types implemented yet, but it's the first public build.

From the gameplay videos, it basically looks like Halo-style gameplay, with regenerating shields, offhand grenades and other such things, balanced out with enemies being really fast and aggressive.

Downloaded: Initial thought is... this works really well, actually. Probably the most coherent 'weapon mod' I've seen. Lovely HUD, and some nice weapon mechanics, like the autocannon having a heat gauge, and the altfire on it being a vent function.

Fun stuff. I like the visuals on the barrel explosions (and the god hand). Feels like there should be a couple more weapons (and maybe more variety in them). The lack of health/shield pickups (and the lack of necessity for them) is fun.

Is the game just really FAST? I find that the enemies are bouncing around really fast, and I don't even have Fast Monsters enabled.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Code Jockey posted:

I miss the gently caress out of colored ASCII shareware quit screens. :smith:

Aww, me too. :( Maybe some Kroz or ZZT will brighten your day?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

m-o-o-n posted:

The demo had some of the most linear map design I've ever seen and bullet-sponge enemies :/

Agreed. The weapon system is pretty cool, though, and most of the enemies in the games we play in here are strictly bullet sponges, too. I think it looks like a pretty decent game, if you don't go in expecting Deus Ex and Shadowrun... and if you don't have to pay $29.99. I'd probably buy it for $19.99 despite the short play time, but not at $30. I guess that's what Steam sales are for.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Code Jockey posted:

Oh god my eyes

For anyone who complains about some peoples' choices in web design now, click this link. It used to be worse. Way, way worse.

Good lord, the effect stays after you leave the page. auugghh

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah it was taken out for some reason. Check the Steam forums, there are fan patches in there that add the music back in for Quake and Quake 2 along with other fixes.

Probably a licensing thing, since I think Nine Inch Nails did the music for Quake, right? Not sure about Quake 2..

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Flying Trident posted:

:words:

You don't post very often, but it was worth the wait.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Code Jockey posted:

My lord. :stare:

So, is all this great stuff I've been seeing the Russian Overkill mod? What kind of mod mixing is going on? I want whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

Here it is. The most terrifying mod I've seen in ages.

MEMORIAL. It's all 32 levels of Doom 2 as a single, mammoth map, with some minor rearrangement, linking-up and a couple of extra monsters to fill in the blanks.

There's apparently some bugs that manifest in ZDoom because the authors are somewhat fetishists for PRBoom, but... there it sits. Dare you take it on?

That's kinda cool. I would probably play it if it were Doom 1 instead.