Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

Is that Nefaria RPG mod for DN3D worth checking out? The RPG elements look like a worthwhile gimmick, but it looks bizarre to play.

I would say War of Attrition does the same central gimmick (rpg stats and gear with modified/new enemies in the original Duke Nukem levels and new maps) more elegantly.

Nefaria's Reign is more interesting in the baffling trainwreck sort of way, where you have a party composed of Duke Nukem, Lo Wang, the Sailor Scouts, Bubsy the Bobcat, and the mod author's fanfiction characters shooting occasionally invincible monsters with loads of stats and buying several dozen power-ups, many of which work for only one character.

It is absolutely the strangest, most internet mod I've ever seen. It's like mainlining a deviantart account into an artery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Heretic with the Nazis! mod is kind of strange, since the guns in the mod don't seem as powerful as normal Heretic weapons, so monsters are now bullet-sponges.

Since you now have weaker weapons with the same amount of ammo spawns as in normal Heretic, it becomes a strange game of ammo conservation and rushing hordes with the shovel (which can kill low-end mobs surprisingly quickly). I suppose all the shovel-rampaging adds to the pulp-archaeologist adventure vibes.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

I absolutely adored the first half of Bioshock. It had so much going for it. Exploration, non-linear level layouts, the monsters are still new, and all of the unique concepts of the game (Plasmids!!) are still worth using.

Then the back half of the game is a linear slogfest with repetitive battles and plasmids and all the cool weapons became useless in comparison to like the shotgun and the wrench. And it all just got so drat easy. :sigh:

Bioshock ends at the reveal, and the last portion is filler formed by mechanically separated FPS parts mixed with agar and cornstarch as a thickening agent.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Vakal posted:

Has anyone played Powerslave (Exhumed) much?

I tried the PC version a few years back and found it too clunky. But recently I've been playing the PSX version on my PSP and have been loving it.

Powerslave/Exhumed is really weird, in that the console and PC versions of it are significantly different. Wikipedia has a good synopsis, but basically the PC Powerslave is a Build engine game with the typical features and progression, while the Saturn and PSX versions are on Lobotomy Software's proprietary SlaveDriver engine (which was also used for the Sega Saturn ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D) and have a non-linear hub world and persistent items like Metroid Prime or Strife or (sorta) Hexen. The PC version of Powerslave is an unusual FPS case where the PC version is the crappy cut-down port.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I hope that analog counter on your explosion-gun is for counting how many people you've murdered.

edit: Ha, the features section on the site says you can play the game with SFX & music from the original game.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 2, 2012

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The big white bones sticking out of guards cut apart by gunfire are a thing of cheesy beauty, as well as the dual pistol reload animation at 1:08.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm guessing it's worth the $5 that Doom 3 currently costs, then?

It's an interesting old mod, but short; it consists of four levels, comprising part of the upper pyramid. I wouldn't recommend it if that's the only thing that interests you.

There are some other fun mods, like the Last Man Standing co=op mod, partial remakes of Quake and Hexen (similar to the Pathways mod, these are also incomplete), the aforementioned Dark Mod which is becoming its own thing with the source code release, and an obscure Doom Roguelike-thing, Dungeon Doom.

Dungeon Doom, from my memory, was really drat clunky but still interesting and I wish something like it was made in the Doom source-ports, or in other FPS mods. It is also possibly the only FPS mod with a cardfighting mechanic.

I don't mean it has card-duels with monsters, I mean it's like you take a deck of magic ability granting cards and hope for luck of the draw while you're fighting evil skeletons.

edit: ah, the moddb page doesn't have the actual mod on it, so here's the developer's mods on filefront. I forgot, he also made Commander Doom, the only Doom 3 RTS, and Ninja Tournament, the only fighting game mod for Doom 3 (it had key combinations for special moves, for that real clonky playing-Street-Fighter-on-a-computer experience).

He disappeared from the internet after 2007, possibly destroyed by his own creations.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 5, 2012

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I stay up late every night, my furrowed brow dripping sweat over the drafting table. Haven't eaten for days, haven't bathed for weeks; not enough time. Each plan I've made so far just goes straight into the waste-basket.

How do I do it? How can you preserve the mid-to-late 90s FPS fan community? How do you save them from themselves?

Needless to say, I popped another fat-boy and started the next draft,

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Brutal Blood is a prolonged black-out period followed by you clawing your way out of a shallow grave. You will never see home again.

The one to watch out for is Rise of the Brutal Triad. It'll be a cult classic among true DOOM MURDER HEADS, while being overlooked by hardcore-casuals unable to appreciate the first accidental entry into the Splatter-Comedy FPS subgenre.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I always expected the author of Brutal Doom to have character flaws, but not those specific ones.

Aside: Zero Tolerance owns, even with the kludge and weirdness of being a Genesis-exclusive FPS. I liked some of the odd bits, like having the selection of team-mates with different skills/inventories (which doubled as extra lives), the actual use of an inventory that had you juggling guns and useful equipment, jumping and ducking and alternate melee attacks in an otherwise Doom-like moveset, and such.

I remember it did some things (blood spattters, bulletholes, fires that could be put out) that were rare in 2.5D shooters and unheard of in old console shooters. It also did some neat things despite limited environmental flexibility, like one series of stages that started out on top of a dystopian skyscraper, and had you clear it floor by floor (with some choice of levels by using the stairs.) Like, the first "level" of the skyscraper was rooftop plus the top four floors, the next one a set of offices in the on floors 50-45, and such).

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

So what was the point of M2?

To give you the WSTE-M combat shotguns, which are the keys to destruction and enlightenment. Durandal also totally graffiti'd that moon even if Forerunner Precursor Jjaro stuff undid the endgame and that was worth it. And also I guess it set Durandal on the path to quitting the god-game before the end of the universe and led to Security Officer (#54 in an extremely limited series, the competition on the Milky Way CL's "PERSONALITY CONSTRUCTS SEEKING CYBORGS" board is fierce) realize he is the reincarnating Hero of Time that will kick asses for as long as FPS games about faceless alien-killing cyborgs guided by AIs are popular.

DoombatINC posted:

I thought it was Thoth himself who was sending you through space and time to prevent you from waking him, but I could be wrong because what the gently caress Infinity. What I never worked out was who was actually talking to you via the terminals that only exist in your dreams -- was it Thoth, another AI, the Lovecraftian monster inside the sun, or your own tortured subconscious reliving fragments of your life from when you were human? I'd continue but it's getting hard to see through the blood pouring from my eye sockets.

Our Mjölnir Mark IV was crammed with mysterious technomagic from a godlike long dead civilization/individual, which reacted wierdly with Thoth awakening/combining, the W'rkncacnter waking up, and our Hero having to sift through probability and reality and perception with an overworked brain and nascent free will. It was basically all of the above; luckily our eternal warrior was just too focused on and good at hitting switches and shooting aliens to go crazy.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Doombat you are destroying me by reminding me that I never finished the "other" Marathon engine games or Sensory Overload (or Pathways into Darkness, for that matter). I had all of those drat things, except ZPC (only played the demo and was turned off. A few years ago I tried playing it emulated and just got sick of wandering). Prime Target is my favorite, for its nonlinear levels loaded with secrets, 80s arcade-game like bestiary (fire and ice mercenaries! colorful ninjas! giant men who take more bullets because of muscles! skinheads in chains and tattered tees!), and little things like being able to collect documents to SOLVE THE MYSTERY and bullet holes and blood splats and swinging doors and poo poo. poo poo.

I really wonder why the old Mac-exclusive/made-for-Mac-initially FPSes were so weird and advanced for the time. Also for that matter, I just realized between Prime Target and Damage Inc there were TWO Marathon engine games about patriotic as gently caress manly men fighting for freedom from the right-wing/corporate menace.

Also also why isn't there a reboot of Damage Inc where I can shoot the KKK with dual shotguns (somehow loaded with acid ammo) in blazing 3D? Does the videogame industry hate America? Did our raw love of the Red, White, and Blue leak away to Japan during the 00's, spurring the creation of Metal Wolf Chaos, Vanquish, and Binary Domain?

edit:
The covers for Prime and Damage are 100% accurate. They are wise thinkers in a sea of liars.

(Damage Inc has a bunch of alt. cover art for some reason and it's hard to find good pictures of any of them. PS The site for it is still online. xxxxoooo)

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 5, 2013

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
If there is any story elements in this game outside of the manual, they should be about Bob "Rude Gif" Skeleton and Grozgerzasrogtiveslin Zwudikatroltoskysitliev teaming up.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
They're going to make a continuation of the Shadow Warrior novels.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Tiger Schwert posted:

Seems to me that not many wads are going to be designed with a giant power jump in mind. Seems to me that when you have a mod that does as much stuff as that, you probably want to create maps specifically for it (or better yet, make it a standalone work since it has long-since lost all similarity to Doom).

Frankly, I wish more weapon/enemy replacer mod-makers would team up with map-makers. I mean, they could still make a mod pack to work with vanilla wads, but I think it would be interesting if they threw normal balance and analogous enemies/weapons out the window.

I mean, like take Brutal Doom for example, which makes some maps unplayable with the new enemy/weapon balance. They could release a pared down version for compatibility, and make a bigger mod with maps designed around the new AI and stuff like dodging and grabbing enemies. Also, they could add in weapons and monsters, instead of having something that must say replace super-shotguns and must be at a certain power to reflect normal Doom progression.

I don't know, I just feel some weapon mods like MSX and Brutal Doom and Hideous Destructor and Terrorists!/Nazis! could have more room for growth if they weren't mainly developed for traditional maps.

edit: MSX Beta 2 looks really fun. I think the supercharging grenades with shields thing might actually be a new idea in videogame mechanics, and for some reason I like the "snappiness" of the reload animations.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 2, 2013

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Paging DoombatINC or anyone else who played old Marathon engine games; do any of you have a source for Prime Target? No one sells it digitally, there's a few expensive used copies on amazon; the Macintosh Garden no longer has it due to bandwidth issues and apparently the only other place online to have a copy was megaupload.

(goddamn I regret giving that thing to goodwill a decade ago)

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

I'm going to claim the Strife download link in the OP with the reference to the "it was on the Home of the Underdogs" rule as precedent, since it was on Macintosh Garden and they were the same site.

http://ge.tt/6FD2llj/v/0

This is the copy that was on MegaUpload. It seems to work for me, your mileage may vary.

Thanks a bundle; I figured it was fine enough sharing it since Wizardworks went defunct, then got folded into Atari which also went defunct without ever reissuing/digitally selling it/etc.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

On that note, what about the Mac version of Damage Incorporated? It's also on Macintosh Garden but unavailable, like Prime Target. I've found the PC version, but it refuses to work for me.

Did you install the PC version using a disc image/virtual drive, and then ran the application in Windows 95 compatibility mode? That worked for me.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I've been replaying Damage Inc because it seems to run surprisingly well in compatiblity mode, but there's one problem: you can't save or open saves. Luckily, there's still the ctrl-alt trick every Marathon engine game has that lets you select levels, but still a bummer. Did anyone else have the savegame problem, and figured a fix?

Off-topicish; I learned that the lead designer/writer for Damage Incorporated, Richard Rouse has actually worked on a bunch of stuff I've played or at least heard of. I'm amused he's working on basically another game about an elite military squad fighting domestic terrorists, through I think it will sadly lack the dual shotguns, Black Sabbath lyrics, grenade hopping, and Marathon references of its strange ancestor.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I wish I backuped my files from 2006 because I swear I had a working copy of ZPC back then, and now it's a struggle and a half to find the right version and get it working. I wish it was on GOG; I'd pay Zombie Studios for the privilege to easily play that awful game again.

Now there's a bottom of the barrel kickstarter I'd back; remake ZPC, to have better gameplay to go with like cell-shaded 3D versions of Aidan Hughes' art.

Edit: ZPC was as cool as its level design was awful. That giant bloody top thing is a machine designed to depopulate cities, and you can kill it by shooting scrap metal out of a improv railgun latched onto your seven-in-one pistol. You're psychic Jesus, and you can become more powerful the more kills-per-minute you get.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 3, 2013

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The Brutal Doom trailer song sounds like something that should be used in a Devil-May-Cry-themed Doom mod.

I mean, I'm aware of Psychic, but that's more of DmC1's guns with an Undying/Bioshock style magic system that will never be updated again.

(dear someone; combine Zen Dynamics'/Action Doom 2's combos, Project MSX's dashing/charging attacks, and Brutal Doom's taunting/ball-shots to make Doom May Cry)

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I'm pretty sure the Ripper Heart was confirmed to return, so there has to be something to tear a fresh supply of throbbing weapons from.

Actually most of the enemies in Shadow Warrior didn't seem too fun to fight, but the worst were the hornets. They're worse nuisance enemies than the slimers in Nukem and the hands in Blood; they're just too hard to hit and their damage builds up fast.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The encounter rating system and general pace really does make seem to push it past Bulletstorm style score attacks, and into some weird brawler area like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Clover/Platinum titles (especially Platinum, with a score for each major battle).

It's way more interesting than I expected from a Shadow Warrior title.

edit: "character action game", that's the term Dominic used in his preview for flashy scoring based sort of titles. It looks like a first person character action game.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 16, 2013

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I live Doom, breath Doom. A shelf full of Doom strategy guides and books on modding before the BBS lamestream distributed the secrets. Every map, every wad, I've done 100% on UV and laughed it off.

I can let my hair down, play a Total Conversion or maybe a bit of the Doom roguelike or that cell phone RPG John Carmack programmed while practicing lucid dreaming, but nothing compares to the rush of Tyson runs and baiting Revenants, or running vanilla Doom I megawads, or playing the Atari Jaguar port on an original system. I am surrounded by these false DooMers, but I am calm. These mod trends, like all things, will pass.
There will always be Doom.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
If you make vehicles that both move faster than Doomguy and don't control like poo poo, that leaves me to ask:

how big can you make levels in Doom source-ports? Like, before it gets all chuggy and the engine freaks out?

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Alright, here's a writeup on the Psycho Circus story. I hope this helps explain...

So, where do the Insane Clown Posse and their movies fit into here? How many musicians fit into the Carnie Mythos? Are Deathtrap Dungeon's circus themes a deeper connection? What about the Genesis classic Nightmare Circus? Does Killing Time fit into the genre, or is it merely Clownpunk with tinges of dieselpunk and post-cyberpunk????? Is there a wiki or a wikia for this, or life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Yeah, there was a port of Killing Time. It's is in a weird situation like Power Slave/Exhumed, where the port is essentially a remake.