Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Crackbone posted:

2) If it's two in space, should it allow piloted vipers? 4 in hangar is kinda bad but popping two manned vipers seems really good.

How about this:

"Damage 2 unpiloted vipers in space, or destroy 2 in the reserves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Crackbone posted:

1) Yeah, probably right, and I'm not sure how you could fix it. EDIT: What about look at top 4/5, and you can choose which to bury and which to put back on top?

2) If it's two in space, should it allow piloted vipers? 4 in hangar is kinda bad but popping two manned vipers seems really good.

4) Disrupting the XO chain is pretty good though. What if I bumped up the escape clause to two cards of player's choice?

5) I'm not against that, but thought it would be too powerful.

1) It seems okay, but just doesn't feel appropriate for a reveal power as a matter of taste. Maybe if the concept was applied to the crisis deck it would fit better?

2) Definitely should allow piloted vipers. The worst you could do is send two character to Sickbay and leave the humans in a pickle. Compare this to sending one character to Sickbay and forcing them to discard 5 cards. Sickbay is a slap on the wrist effect that is easily countered with some XOs. And 4 in the hangar is the equivalent of 2 repair cards which is the same as the damage Galactica reveal except you don't need to travel to seperate locations.

4) Sounds good.

5) I think it should definitely be the cylon's choice or else it would a crapshot. Plus it gets you a glimpse at the quorum hand which can be essentially for planning your future plays.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

You know, I know about Quorum farming has ended in a Cylon victory!

I will run another game very soon, after the long weekend, likely without expansions again.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I might finally get around to running a game sometime next week too! :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm trying to play around with deckmanager. Just d/led it. How do you get the nice exodus boards up and running?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

This post on BoardGameGeek is the OpenOffice/GIMP spreadsheet combo that allows you to output the nice images like the ones I was using in the earlier part of my game. Since all goons are heathens and prefer the ASCII DRADIS, though, it may not be as useful except to keep track of things. I'm sure it could be customized to output a DRADIS and everything, though, since it already outputs forum posts in BGG style.

As a bonus, it can be used by anyone (even you Mac and Linux folks).

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I don't always have access to gimp, especially at work, so I prefer the ascii. You can edit a txt file anywhere.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I have no real issues with the ASCII, to be honest, but I can't see it properly when I'm on my phone. Makes it tough to do my stuff on-the-fly. Still, it's whatever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
While that would give me the ability to moderate with my Linux machine, it looks like an incredible amount of extra work.

Also, it looks like it eliminates the possibility of Battlestar Serenity.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

It's not really extra work, unless you want the pretty pictures. The actual management aspect of it doesn't take any longer than using DeckManager. Maybe when I'm back home next week I'll gently caress around with it to see if I can get it to output posts in the SA style.

Dunno about the whole Battlestar Serenity thing. I'm sure you could put it in the sheet's database, but that probably would be too much work.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

I've been to distance 8 and I'm going to take us there is open for signups! New players welcome.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does anyone want me to go through and add in who won each of our past games? It would be a reasonable amount of digging, but if you guys want me to, I will.

Edit: AesirKnight, I'm taking another look at the OpenOffice modding thingy and it looks like it tops out at 6 players?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2011

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Anything in particular (ie usual house rules) to a Pegasus game before I run one (no CLs, no new caprica)

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
Shuffling the destination deck before using Cain's OPG is a standard one. Dunno if you need anything else.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

If a skill check's total is negative, it's considered reckless. This was used for a few games and worked out pretty well.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I really like that house rule as well. RAW Pegasus is skewed towards the humans. So that rule helps.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Some Numbers posted:

AesirKnight, I'm taking another look at the OpenOffice modding thingy and it looks like it tops out at 6 players?
Hmm, looks like it does do that for the base game. I guess it's because 7 players isn't "officially supported" in the base game or whatever. I know it can support 7 in Pegasus/Exodus.

Also, for Cain's OPG I like the slightly more elegant "draw the second card in the Destination Deck", since it can't be scouted.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

ConorT posted:

If a skill check's total is negative, it's considered reckless. This was used for a few games and worked out pretty well.

This one is great. Thank you. (I'm ashamed of not coming up with this on my own).

How about Cally's OPG? That poo poo is broken, considering the length that others, including Cain, have to go to flush someone out the ol' airlock. I was all excited to try out Tory the last time our group played, and I hadn't played a political leader in a long time. At distance 2, an unrevealed cylon Cally blew my brains out. So much for that. Every time someone plays Cally, her OPG gets used in the cheesiest way because there's no reason not to, from her player's perspective.

I asked before, but does anyone have or can direct me toward a list of goon house rules? The few I can remember are great (like fixing Tigh to be more useful), but I want to incorporate more of them into my tabletop games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Railing Kill posted:

This one is great. Thank you. (I'm ashamed of not coming up with this on my own).

How about Cally's OPG? That poo poo is broken, considering the length that others, including Cain, have to go to flush someone out the ol' airlock. I was all excited to try out Tory the last time our group played, and I hadn't played a political leader in a long time. At distance 2, an unrevealed cylon Cally blew my brains out. So much for that. Every time someone plays Cally, her OPG gets used in the cheesiest way because there's no reason not to, from her player's perspective.

I asked before, but does anyone have or can direct me toward a list of goon house rules? The few I can remember are great (like fixing Tigh to be more useful), but I want to incorporate more of them into my tabletop games.

I don't think anybody's ever compiled an official list, but you can look through the linked games on the OP to get a feel for what people did. Keep in mind house rules are also going to depend on what poo poo from the expansions you are using.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ConorT posted:

I would probably only implement this for Crisis skill checks. Airlock, Brig, AQ and Admin are all checks that humans want to fail, if a known or suspected cylon activates them.

Another thing I like: if Pegasus gets destroyed, reduce all resources by 1. (Alternatively, only if Pegasus gets destroyed before distance 7.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Another thing I like: if Pegasus gets destroyed, reduce all resources by 1. (Alternatively, only if Pegasus gets destroyed before distance 7.)

No offense, but this is pretty bad. We've had two games (both moderated by me) where Cavil blew up Pegasus on his first turn. Starting the game down Pegasus is workable. Starting the game down a resource in each category would be a lot harder.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Pegasus should get destroyed on 3 out of 4.

Also, you could just add Pegasus tokens to Galactica tokens and randomly draw from the combined pool. It would keep Pegasus from being a +4 HP shield. I want to do this in a forum game because I hate nothing more than to wait for players to pick between Galactica or Pegasus. It's my biggest pet peeve :)

Railing Kill posted:

How about Cally's OPG? That poo poo is broken

How is Cally's OPG any more broken that Political Prowess? If her OPG needs to be toned down, then Political Prowess would have to be addressed as well.

I proposed a while ago to make Cally's OPG only available on her turn, that way a cylon Cally would at least have to weigh the risks of surviving a full turn of potential retaliation. Plus it would give other hidden cylons some much needed breathing room with a human Cally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ooh ooh, we could make it into a Movement ability!

(Cain's probably should be Movement too)

Also, while Cally's OPG is not necessarily more powerful than Political Prowess, it's much much harder to play around. Political Prowess, being unique, comes up much more rarely than Cally's OPG, which is just sitting there, taunting you.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

If you made it a movement ability, that would just make it stronger I would think. She'd shoot someone and then reveal with her action. There's no precedence for a Movement and Action types, but that's something I could support for Cally.

I only bring up Political Prowess as a counter point to Cally because it is functionally equivalent to a OPG in and of itself and can be just as cheap as Cally's OPG. It's the luck of the draw in getting it, but it exists.

I'd like to see Political Prowess revised because it's just too powerful with the Airlock. Something like "play before a location based skill check and declare POL either positive or negative, then add then draw the top 3 POL cards and add them to the check"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Making it a Movement ability would open the possibility for "shoot you, reveal," but only if she starts her turn in the same spot as that person. If everyone's smart and stays away from her, there's no problem.

Then, when you want her to shoot someone, you XO her to move there before her turn and have her shoot on her turn.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

No offense, but this is pretty bad. We've had two games (both moderated by me) where Cavil blew up Pegasus on his first turn. Starting the game down Pegasus is workable. Starting the game down a resource in each category would be a lot harder.

What were his agendas in those games, and did he win?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Both Cavils had "Humans Win" agendas. One won and the other lost.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
To be fair, the Cavil Maneuver is like 85% comedy value and 15% agenda-driven

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Am I the only one who thinks Political Prowess is fine because it's so rare (even though I also do think it's the best card in the game)?

And I'm not so sure making Cally/Cain's OPGs into Movement abilities is the answer, or even that an answer is required. Turning Cain's OPG into a Movement power might actually make it even *better*.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Both Cavils had "Humans Win" agendas. One won and the other lost.

Without knowing the details, this doesn't convince me.

Pegasus already is a huge help to the humans. Even if they never set foor on it, which seems to happen often enough in Pegasus games, it's a free 4 damage meatshield for Galactica. With the rules as they are, destroying Pegasus merely reduces the humans to their base game capabilities.

Cavil's OPG is probably the most powerful ability in the game. But a Cavil who expends it early is much less of a factor for the rest of the game, and risks ending up unable to fulfill his agenda in the long run.

And honestly, if there are 2 basestars on the board, and Cavil's sitting on the Cylon Fleet, it's the humans own drat fault for not XOing the Admiral to nuke one of them before it's Cavil's turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Uh, the second time, Cavil was first in turn order, used his OPG, used his first action to make a second Basestar and his next two to activate them.

He destroyed Pegasus before any humans had a turn.

The games are in the OP. The first one was Cavil Song and Dance Hour and the second was Conga Out the Airlock.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Uh, the second time, Cavil was first in turn order, used his OPG, used his first action to make a second Basestar and his next two to activate them.

The games are in the OP. The first one was Cavil Song and Dance Hour and the second was Conga Out the Airlock.

:aaaaa:

But on the topic of OPGs: When I suggested that Cally's was broken, I didn't necessarily preclude anything else in that. Political Prowess is a little broken, but maybe not quite as much. It's harder to get your hands on, and even if you have it you can use it for +/-6 political, which is enough to float or sink most checks by itself. Cally's OPG can't be used for anything but carnage, so there's nothing drawing it away from being used for that. I'm all for carnage, but there is nothing quite as crazy as her OPG. Maybe if it sent her to the brig upon conclusion of the action; that would make sense, and it would keep unrevealed cylons using it from also getting away with their reveal scot-free (unless they somehow find their way out of the brig in between, in which case they deserve a little treat).

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Some Numbers posted:

I was playing on the second one and I think it's important to remember that he did all this before he had even checked his win condition.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

that was a gambit fyi. I might have done it without looking anyway, but I did in fact look :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Neal! posted:

I was playing on the second one and I think it's important to remember that he did all this before he had even checked his win condition.

This is a strong piece of evidence in defense of the argument that Cavil and his OPG are totally awesome.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I played as Cavil once in a 5-6 player game (Whichever had a hostile Cylon leader) with the Grant Mercy agenda. In the interest of fun, I did not in fact tell the Humans I was trying to help them, or even imply it at any point during the game.

There were a bunch of civilians & raiders on the board, along with two basestars. My turn came up, and I asked the players if they wanted mass civvie death, or the John Cavil Special. They decided on the special, and off Pegasus went :allears: (on the first two actions, even, giving me a third to activate raiders).

Then at the end of the game the other hostile cylon almost killed the humans and I went to Caprica and gave them the last jump prep they needed to win, heh :allears:

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

scribe jones posted:

that was a gambit fyi. I might have done it without looking anyway, but I did in fact look :(

Well I guess I'm just Mr Gullible.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kuroshi posted:

I played as Cavil once in a 5-6 player game (Whichever had a hostile Cylon leader) with the Grant Mercy agenda. In the interest of fun, I did not in fact tell the Humans I was trying to help them, or even imply it at any point during the game.

There were a bunch of civilians & raiders on the board, along with two basestars. My turn came up, and I asked the players if they wanted mass civvie death, or the John Cavil Special. They decided on the special, and off Pegasus went :allears: (on the first two actions, even, giving me a third to activate raiders).

Then at the end of the game the other hostile cylon almost killed the humans and I went to Caprica and gave them the last jump prep they needed to win, heh :allears:

Cavil is a ton of fun, but Leoben's "Glimpse the Face of God" movement ability usually tips me toward him. I love telling the humans, whether they believe me or not (and I usually don't lie to them), "god loves you" or "god hates you." Knowing what is coming up on the destiny deck is great, especially in a four-player game (as opposed to 5, 6).

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I managed a first-turn John Cavil Special tonight in a 6-man game. Poor pegasus never had a chance. I had spent most of the time we were picking characters explaining why I thought Cylon Leaders were imbalanced, but we decided to give them a try in the end. I figured I might as well have some fun with it. I was inspired by all the talk of the Maneuver in this thread.

edit: My agenda was The Illusion of Hope (Cylons must win, fleet must travel 6 or more distance).

After Cylon Cally chose to shoot a human post-sleeper, the guy picked Cain and Blind Jumped straight to the Lion's Head Nebula. Put them at 7 distance and 1 fuel left. Perfect for me, especially since the Cylon Fleet auto-attacked on the very next turn and Boomer, the only pilot, was still in the brig from her downside.

It felt a little surreal to have my loyalty be open common knowledge from the get-go. I'd definitely want to try it again, even though I still do believe the entire feature is broken as hell. Games on SA typically do not use Cylon Leaders, do they?

mp5 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

mp5 posted:

It felt a little surreal to have my loyalty be open common knowledge from the get-go. I'd definitely want to try it again, even though I still do believe the entire feature is broken as hell. Games on SA typically do not use Cylon Leaders, do they?

I haven't found Cylon Leaders to be broken, but I think the creation of new agenda cards like some folks were discussing earlier is a great idea. The problem with the agenda decks, especially the 4/6 player deck, is that 1/3 of it kills the humans. Even if it is "help for a while and then kill them," it's still "kill them." That swings the cylon players even with the humans in number unless a specific situation draws the cylon leader out to help the humans. I guess the idea is to have the cylon leader be a sort of halfway between human and cylon, which is great when it works. Some of the agendas do this well enough, but the 2 "kill the humans" agendas don't help the humans enough before killing them to really be halfway. 2-on-2 is just not normally winable for the humans.

The only times these agendas are interesting is in endgame situations where the cylon leader hasn't met a win condition but the cylons (or humans) are about to win anyway. For example, the other nasty 4/6 agenda is "Salvage" which means the cylons must win but the Galactica cannot be damaged. That one can be a breeze for the cylon leader, basically making him a cylon player, if they are killing the humans by depleting a resource. It's downright hilarious, though, when they're at distance 7 or 8 and the Galactica is a smoking husk drifting through space. Seeing the mean ol' cylon leader turn around and desperately help the humans is great because it dicks with him and the humans need his help but must know by then that he's going to gently caress them in the end, if he can get away with it. It's situations like that that make the cylon leader a fun addition, and the "humans win" agendas are usually better at balancing the game while creating these sorts of situations. "Join the Colonials," I will admit, is as unfair to the cylons as the "cylons win" agendas are to the humans, though. That leaves half of the 4/6 deck being wonky enough to gently caress with an entire game.

Hence, making new agenda cards. Basically, whichever side the agenda doesn't want to win needs more help form any new agenda cards. The 5 player deck isn't quite as bad, because those are all appropriately nasty, even the ones that ask for the humans to win. They're tough, but they should be if you're player a cylon leader.

And without a cylon leader, using the "sympathetic cylon" instead of the base game's "cylon sympathizer" is way better. The cylon sympathizer card form the base game is bullshit.

• Locked thread