Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I recently joined a venture that's using Continuum and while it seems powerful, jesus this UI is the most confusing thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If any of you are using Connectwise I'd suggest you contact me immediately. I've been auditing the software for the first time after a recent "invoices are viewable!" issue was discovered and that isn't even half of the concern. Software like this is specifically why I despise working in Windows environments where "admins" just click next>next> to get things configured, aren't actual system designers and never perform audits (I walked into using CW). And that's the prime environment for Connectwise users (small tech shops).

I'm on freenode as vty.

vty fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 1, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

mindphlux posted:

hey, I'm sort of interested, but don't use connectwise. was debating it vs autotask, but came to the conclusion that neither brought enough value to my small shop to be worth the price. still though - are you talking about the connectwise 'cloud' version, or the onsite? etc? sounds like some pretty serious vulnerabilities...

I'm referring to on-site, although with how ridiculous this issue was I'd love to see how they've configured their "cloud."

They released a security patch today (after I've mentioned releasing white papers on twitter) Patch #13135 thats explanation is "Updated web.config folder access settings." that may have fixed things, although I haven't tested it nor audited it as I resolved the issues myself.

I won't explain the methodology out of respect for those who haven't updated (I warned and secured a few friends CW configs) but it allowed anyone who knew file names to not only access all invoices, but it also allowed all documentation (passwords, rack diagrams, etc) to be accessed with 0 authentication.

It's an EXTREMELY obvious issue and I can only assume that due to how simple it is that they don't have the software routinely audited by third party Security/Windows engineers. At some point I'll go through and actually see what else is going on with the software, although CW hasn't provided me any security team information at this time (if they even have a security team).

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I always use Chrome to access Continuum. I didn't even know anything in it didn't work and had to be done via IE. What specifically? I just logged in via IE and it seems the same.

Anyway, on the topic of Continuum, I'm trying to clean mine up and make it more useful. So far we just use it as a call service to tell us servers are down, and patch/virus licensing management.

Is there SOME way to add SMS text messaging to the escalation template that I'm missing? I'm really tired of them calling multiple times and leaving a VMail on the third call, typically a Vmail I can't even understand. I'd MUCH rather just be sent a text message that SERVER02 HAS NOT PINGED IN 15 MINUTES PLEASE FIX.

I assumed that it simply didn't have this feature, but I found a press release at some point that specifically says it has SMS text messaging for alerts.

Anyone?

Edit: Here is the article dated OCT 1st that says they added SMS alerts- http://www.continuum.net/Standard-Items/News/Press%20Releases/10-1-12-Mobile-RMM-Control.aspx

Edit2: I just noticed it's even a big picture on their front page now.

Edit3: Do you guys have any interest in an IRC channel on freenode? I just joined #msp on there. Feel free to hop in. I love talking business with other MSP folk.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 30, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

mindphlux posted:

yeah I think they just introduced this, I've played around with it, but so far haven't gotten it to work.

I'm a little discouraged because I've been using continuum basically the same way you are - a server alert tool, and I've been letting their NOC do proactive poo poo to my server just to try them out. Desktops are being patched on a weekly basis and the logmein pro is nice but...

Every time I go in to do something like 'update approved patches on all machines on a site, then reboot', I end up spending like 45 minutes trying to figure it out, get frustrated, and then just do it manually using logmein.

The scheduled updates feature seems to work ok, and I spent a lot of time customizing the escalation templates - it's just a lot of simple stuff seems more complicated than it needs to be. I might just need to spend more time with the product or do tutorials - but it's hard to motivate myself to do that when the things I'm trying to do don't seem like they should need tutorials.

Yeah seriously.

Simple example- Something as simple as setting up "QUICK Suppressions" is a damned pain. Not only do you have to ALWAYS set the timezone, you have to manually enter in times and it will NOT allow you to set a time in the past, as in, if it's 5:13 right now my suppression can't be 5:00, or 5:12. Probably not even 5:13. It has to be 5:14+.

I won't even get into the Escalation Templates. There's NO way to set layered triggers.. as in, if this server generates an alert, test again in 3-5-10 minute intervals and at minute 5 send an email, minute 10 send a text/call. It's way too basic.

Stupid, stupid UI.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

mindphlux posted:

thanks, glad to hear someone else say it. I thought I was just being lazy and/or stupid. but yeah it's pretty horrible. have you found anything better?

edit : maybe I should just go into the MSP vendor business, hire some people, and make a goddamn tool myself. it can't honestly be *that* hard, can it?

I guess I feel this way about tons of products though :/

No I really haven't looked for anything better. I rolled out N-Able years ago (geez, like 2005) and it was pretty awful as well.

I still haven't figured out how to SMS text message via SAAZ!

I swear, between Connectwise and SAAZ I'm tempted to go back into the hosting business.

How is everyone's year going? We hit 1MM rev! Growth has been slow though, I really need to make some connections.

vty fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 12, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Stugazi posted:

On the bad side CW hasn't evolved a single bit in 5 loving years it's embarrassing. The helpdesk, which is arguably the most frequently used feature, is poo poo.

I refuse to ever use Connectwise again, going so far as to never work at a company that uses Connectwise. If I ask in the interview that they use CW, I politely decline the position. I absolutely despise it.

Hell, a year ago I had to post a security fix for it because the programmers allowed ANONYMOUS authentication into the /document/ folders. It's pathetic. I contacted CW multiple times and never received a response. Then a few months later somebody more internet famous than I found it, blogged about it and they patched it.

Anyway- glad to see this thread is somewhat alive. I'm actually considering starting my own MSP nowadays- or at least some sort of consulting gig.

I'm interested in focusing on the application developer niche. A lot of small shops running Mercurial/Git/Subversion/TeamCity/Puppet/Chef, basically groups that need competent DevOps guys. They wind up being very small shops (5-25 people) but have pretty complex needs that aren't your run of the mill Exchange/AD stuff. Mostly EC2/RAX Cloud, Rightscale, SmartOS, etc.

Anybody around Austin interested in the same boat? I left my last engineering position to develop some Openstack utilities so I've got time to drum up things.

vty fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 17, 2013

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm testing Freshdesk and Zendesk right now and I'm blown away that NEITHER of them make any sort of ajax calls to display new tickets going in/out of a queue.

You have to refresh the page on both systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
My new MSP.. not fully fleshed out. Let me know your thoughts. I'm targeting a pretty specific niche based on my background (devops engineer, architect).

http://www.silo37.com

Now to work on the part that I know absolutely nothing about- business and marketing.

• Locked thread