Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stugazi posted:

Labtech is off the table for us. ConnectWise is a mess and antiquated. No meaninful development on that platform in years. I think the Labtech acquisition is sucking up their resources.

I know a lot of our local competition is on Continuum now. It amazes me that Continuum is lacking in so many areas yet seem to be killing it in the RMM space. That's a good indication of the missed opportunities by NAble, Kaseya et al. If the competition had decent packaging and communication they could kill Continuum head to head. Instead they are mismanaged and/or priced like they poo poo gold so Continuum wins by being the least insane choice.

We gave Kaseya every opporutnity to play ball. They'd rather suck their partners dry through high fees than be reasonable and win a new client (actually, a returning client, we'd already paid Kaseya ~50k in fees years ago).

Kinda sounds like it's mirroring the MSP space as a whole then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just moved over to a company that has a pretty good MSP business going, with a fairly standard complement of random software applications cobbled together to cover patch management, asset inventory/discovery, remote assistance, anti-virus, etc.

I'd like to dive more into something more consolidated from an RMM standpoint, but this thread spans multiple years. As with many software packages, this looks like a "lets pick the least bad option", which I think we're all ok with.

With all the consolidations/purchases, etc. in the market at this point, what are people currently using/happy with?

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We're at probably 3500ish managed assets, 300ish servers or so, scattered over a couple of states (and growing). Typical client is probably a 50ish person "professional" company and in most cases we have decent connectivity options to them (10mbps up to gigabit).

I don't think we would want to use someone else's NOC, just basically at a "should we just keep developing the stuff we're using now" point, which spurred the look.

Basically, what I'd like to roll up/consolidate are:

• Monitoring
  • Asset software/hardware inventory
  • Patching
  • Remote assistance
  • MDM

We have existing billing/crm/etc systems that I need to poke at more to see if they're worth keeping or dumping.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Out of curiosity, anyone spent much time looking at Microsoft Intune as an RMM type tool? The pricing looks high (not sure what the discount breaks look like beyond 250 seats) compared to the other options we looked it, shame you can't just spla the goddamn thing, but Microsoft seems hell bent on screwing over MSPs on their cloud stuff :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hooray, so I managed to get a parallel discussion going on about looking at PSA to accompany our RMM search.

At a glance, it looks like Autotask, Connectwise and Tigerpaw are all pretty well supported by the various RMM vendors out there. From a personal experience level, are there any clear leaders between those 3? Autotask looks potentially the slickest, but not sure if that's just a larger marketing budget than the other two. :)

On the RMM side we're looking at n-able, Kaseya and Labtech. I need to talk more to the Continuum people, but is there a lot of value in Continuum if we 100% don't want any kind of managed/outsourced NOC/helpdesk stuff?

On yet another side note, are there good MSP forums out there that aren't vendor specific?

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 2, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We've got our deeper dive sessions with nable, kaseya and labtech over the next week, but I'll be sure to bug folks with any question.

Anyone using storagecraft as a backup solution? I noticed that all 3 of those RMMs seem to hook into it, so it's either decent, or really cheap/easy to resell.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bimmian posted:

Look back earlier in the thread for my comments on autotask. We use autotask and n-able, so ask any questions you'd like about those.

lampey posted:

We are a medium sized msp and we went with n able and connectwise. Autotask is better in some regards but I feel like we have the best combination of tools. Also our sql guy scrapes n able passive scan, symantec cloud reports, and some wmi scripts from the DCs for an internal combined inventory website. Its pretty handy to search for printer shares, warranty expiration, and installed versions of software.

SO out of curiosity, what ended up making you go with n-able? Either we got some real bad sales guys or something, but so far the group consensus has basically been "meh" for n-able, and everyone seems to like Labtech and Kaseya a lot more so far based on what we've seen.

Labtech looks janky as hell, but people were impressed with the functionality of the tool a lot more than what we've gotten from n-able so far. Kaseya looks nice, but their sales people still haven't gotten back to me with pricing yet (I'm expecting it to be high).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

sanchez posted:

We implemented Secretserver, it's been decent, the auditing on it is invaluable when employees leave.

Yeah, secretserver has been the universally "least bad" option the last 2-3 places I've worked.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bimmian posted:

Unfortunately no solarwinds goodness has made it's way into n-able. That acquisition has been a bit frustrating, just absolutely zero word still on how/if any functionality will come over.

I started using zenoss core for my side business, jury is still out on it, but it works pretty well out of the box so far. There are some hosted services that are decent too, I'll have to look through my notes to see which ones I was considering.

N-able did do a half assed helpdesk integration with a (terrible) helpdesk product that Solarwinds bought, but yeah, not much else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone use AVG Managed Workplace as an RMM? Our eval of labtech fell apart for the most part when we actually went through it, and Kaseya has a fair amount of complexity and cost, so looking around at alternative options.

Biggz posted:

Was that Web Help Desk? I was planning on taking a look at that next week, from the 30 minute look I had a couple of months ago it looked a lot better than what we currently use, which is pretty much a glorified shared mailbox.

Yeah, it's a solid "meh", although it's possible that we're using it wrong.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh hay, it's the MSP thread.

All of our clients are 100% fully managed, we occasionally see requests for AD access from specific "power users"s. I come from a lot more formal centralized IT background, so this seems really weird to me to care about considering they are throwing decent amounts of money our way to not have to worry about their infrastructure at all.

How does this work elsewhere? I don't have any big objections to read only access as long as we sit down and walk through OU structure, explain how things work, etc. but we do get the occasional "lol domain admin plz" requests from customers, which seems like a goddamn nightmare (even with a "YOU BREAK IT, IT'S BILLABLE" agreement in place).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting, although I do wish there was an on-prem version, we have a lot of stuff out in the middle of nowhere and have had wildly inconsistent performance on the SaaS rmms we've demoed :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Richard Noggin posted:

Picking nits, but ConnectWise isn't an RMM, it's a PSA, like AutoTask. CentraStage looks neat though.

I was assuming Stugazi was crapping on Labtech. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nuklear posted:

Was wondering if anyone has had success with GFI Max Backup at all? We have about 50 or so clients on an ineration of Vembu at the moment which comes with quite a few problems (mainly the licensing is a pain in the rear end) and are looking to switch. Our biggest concern here is where does the data go? Is it stored locally in the US/Can or does it head on over to India? We have quite a few financial records / HR data and would hate to violate any international laws by crossing the borders with this type of data. We requested a quote and are just waiting on GFI reponse.

As to the helpdesk discussion, we have been using Zendesk for over 2 years with great success. The price point is a bit high but at the end of the day the tool far outweighs the negative pricing point.

Not to switch around too much, but what do you guys think of Naverisk vs N-Able for site management / alerts? We are currently on Level platforms but them having been purchased by AVG sort of put a sour taste in my mouth and we have been entertaining switching vendors completely. Naverisk seems quite robust although I don't think we could give up our Zendesk at this point, it's the management side of things that has me interested.

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with Naverisk as well. On a side note, how the hell did Tampa end up becoming some sort of epicenter for RMM companies?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

go3 posted:

This guy gets it. If your business is built on providing personal 'touch' for someone then sending that poo poo off to India to save you pennies is just going to cost you more in the long run.

Isn't that really all that's left on the MSP side of things these days (building a relationship, selling "you")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

sanchez posted:

Wouldn't you have to give them access to your clients networks (Eg domain admin etc) for this to work? I'd have a really hard time doing this, we would have to disclose it to clients and some of them wouldn't take the news very well.

Isn't this kind of Continuums thing in general? They have help desk people and CJs to do basic stuff like restart a service without needing to bug you at 3am.

• Locked thread