Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I work for a medium msp (almost 50 employees) where its a requirement that all clients have backups for servers. About half use hp livevault or crashplan. Most of them have no backups for the end users, and use terminal server or citrix heavily. Backups are a lot less expensive than recreating everything from scratch.

Has anyone used symform for backups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

We are a medium sized msp and we went with n able and connectwise. Autotask is better in some regards but I feel like we have the best combination of tools. Also our sql guy scrapes n able passive scan, symantec cloud reports, and some wmi scripts from the DCs for an internal combined inventory website. Its pretty handy to search for printer shares, warranty expiration, and installed versions of software.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

To add to focusing on revenue, it is a lot easier to standardise when you focus on a niche. Cloud everything is a trend now, it saves money for most smaller businesses to have everything possible hosted offsite.

If you can focus on supporting small clients better than your larger competitors by cutting out servers you save youself a lot of time. Also you can get referalls from larger msps.

Where I work we don't do ecommerce, getting 5 9s means no quarterly downtime for patches. We don't do software dev, they know just enough to break everything.

One thing I wish we did better is lync integration with a hosted phone system and cell phones.

• Locked thread