Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Zenith is pretty interesting. If a client server goes down you get your choice of emails or a call from an incoherent Indian guy. Also their patch white listing process is glacial.

I think it's a service that you need to get used to, there are numerous quirks. Don't let them talk to your clients.

I still like it though.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Zenith, now continuum will do what you want as far as remote access and alerts/monitoring go. It's fairly clunky too but very powerful once you figure it out for scripting/deploying software and patches. They use logmein components for desktop access.

We reviewed Kaseya recently and were unimpressed. The remote desktop access was slow, the sales guy was an idiot and the whole product didn't seem very polished.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

mindphlux posted:

so, someone earlier in this thread was talking about zenith/continuum offering outsourced NOC stuff - do you use that? is it mandatory? I can't really get over the idea of some random tech of an unknown skill level touching the servers/workstations of my clients. I didn't know they used logmein for their remote access though, that's a huge plus. I absolutely adore logmein, I just wish their 'central' product was more like a RMM MSP tool, and less like a tool to aid inhouse IT teams.

You don't have to use it at all.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I find takecontrol to be reliable but still inferior to logmein as far as performance goes. It is much better than VNC.

Logmein is the main reason I prefer continuum over any other RMM solution we've tested, you just need enough servers to get the price break. Once we get there I think we'll switch from GFI.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

bimmian posted:

CW on the other hand has 4 hours of planned downtime each week

When does this happen? It's not something we've noticed or been told about, is it at 2am on a sunday or something?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
LMI is 50% of the reason we use continuum too, the calling alerts are the other 50%. It isn't cheap though, I think we pay $12 per server. Their update system also needs work, not being able to schedule windows updates for a particular window makes it useless to us, random installs on the last 2 weekends of the month isn't good enough. Labtech keeps calling but connctwise owns them and I'm concerned they might start to leak over to the labtech side.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 4, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

mindphlux posted:

But, thought I'd ask you guys. If not, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you don't...

To make it a little harder for the competition to know what we're up to and because if price is the primary thing a potential client is thinking about when picking their MSP, we're not going to be in the running anyway. Our plan prices are fixed and updated once a year, but we don't have them online for that reason.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We implemented Secretserver, it's been decent, the auditing on it is invaluable when employees leave.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
For a deal that size I'd try to hustle their sales a bit, I'm sure you can get a discount. They were willing to work with us.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I don't trust them enough for that. Look into something like secretserver if you're going to hire somebody, dealing with password management from the get go will make it so much easier when you have staff turnover.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Stugazi posted:

Continuums tier 1 is based in Pittsburgh. It is geared towards US based Helpdesk and if you think about it they can likely handle the majority of incoming calls. Not every call requires a personal relationship or specialized knowledge to complete.

We have not used it. If we do I will report back.

Wouldn't you have to give them access to your clients networks (Eg domain admin etc) for this to work? I'd have a really hard time doing this, we would have to disclose it to clients and some of them wouldn't take the news very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

mindphlux posted:

yeah you already pretty much do this to use Continuum effectively. their NOC is actually great, it's not the cheapest thing but it's worth it. if an exchange database store stops responding or something at 4am some guy from india will log on to your server and follow XYZ steps to restart the service/remount the store. they'll do lights off management even if you give them the credentials. I've never had a problem with anyone doing something they shouldn't, or making a situation worse - and there's an audit report so you can review when the NOC accessed both your passwords, and the machines themselves.

We use Continuum, but strictly for monitoring/patching etc, the only thing the Indians get to do is call whoever is on call. The number of after hours tickets we get that require immediate action that aren't an ISP outage is very low though, so it's not a big deal. They were the best of a mediocre bunch of RMM products when we picked them, I've been pretty happy even though they're far from the cheapest. Do your clients know about them? We get asked to confirm everyone is a regular direct hire FTE (no subcontracting etc) sometimes by prospective clients.

• Locked thread