Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I'm in the same sort of boat here as mindphlux was to begin with. I've gone through heaps of free trials and testing with different RMM software, but am having trouble finding the best software fit for what I need.

I work for a small division in a much larger company and act as an MSP for third party customers. All together we'd have about 14 customers throughout the east coast of Australia and at each site there would be between two to twenty workstations which our company supplies and owns. There are no servers and all the PCs are basically just sitting in workgroups talking only to eachother.

At the moment we're only really providing a break-fix service, but we're charging service fees for a service that I think needs a lot of improvement. We're also at the mercy of our customer's networks for access and have to use combinations of PPTP VPN, IPSec VPN, LogMeIn and RDP to connect to our customers. My biggest want is just to have some of unified dashboard that I can use to connect to a PC without having to pull out a list of passwords and IP addresses. I'd also like the ability have monitors running to check all the normal things - disk space, critical errors, PCs being offline for prolonged periods of time. On top of that, I like the ability to transfer and receive files without interrupting the customer as well as create custom monitors to watch particular folders incase they grow too large.

So far the most promising RMM I've tried was Labtech. It's interface felt cluttered and hacked together, but it had every feature I could possibly want and I liked the ability to script custom monitors. The only downside to it was that I found the interface to be very slow. This could have been because I was trialling the Labtech Cloud which is hosted on Amazon's S3 servers in Singapore.

My question is, how do the people that mentioned they switched to Labtech earlier find it when using a local server and what do you think of it now? Do you regret leaving Kaseya? Or are there any new contenders in the market that are worth looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

mindphlux posted:

Labtech requires (pretty much) dedicated servers though, right? I guess this isn't really a downside given the shitstorm of uncooperative tech you're dealing with now, but is this at all a concern to you?

I don't see a dedicated server being much of a concern.

After talking to someone on the forums, they mentioned that the Labtech Contol Center is slow over VPN and great locally, but they were able to get around the problem by serving it as a RemoteApp. One of the divisions in our company provides virtual hosting, so I'll get them to set up a new 2008 R2 server to do a second Labtech trial.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
The division I work for is a three man operation that's part of a much larger international company. This means that our budget is relatively small and we need to rely on the rest of the company for resources. I did look at the requirements for the RMM server and am hoping I can get away with using a reasonable VPS to host it since there will be less than 100 agents.

To try implement my own dedicated server, it wouldn't just be the cost of the hardware. I'd also need a public facing network to attach it to since it couldn't be attached to our corporate network. My leash here with regards to what I can do is very short...

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

univbee posted:

We ended up rolling a LabTech Cloud trial for about a week and like it a hell of a lot more than Kaseya already. Very cool features like being able to right-click a service on a computer's console page and starting a monitoring of the service in just a few clicks, silently uninstalling applications from a silent add/remove programs on the same page, and it seems everything Kaseya flat-out refused to do, like being able to run alerts on a schedule, are doable here. I may, time allowing, do a more detailed write-up on comparisons once I've gone a bit deeper and if there's sufficient interest.

How did you find the responsiveness of the Control Centre app when using the Labtech Cloud?

• Locked thread