Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At the MSP I work for, with just shy of 500 endpoints, we've collectively been getting increasingly annoyed with random Kaseya issues and are seriously considering a move to some other solution, with LabTech looking the most promising but by no means the only contender.

Currently we script heavily through Kaseya, using a Ninite Pro membership and other software to leverage things like automated silent installers, mostly-intelligent scripting to consider variables like what Windows language is installed, and do a lot of server monitoring and patch management, as well as the obvious remoting into customer PCs as needed. I'd like some no-holds-barred feedback from people who've happily moved away from Kaseya to something else, with details on what their target RMM platform did better or worse, and any migration headaches they ran into, so we can know which platforms are worth further investigating and which are a pack of lies.

Our biggest issue is cost, especially when a lot of new features require a whole other subscription module which often completely changes the interface (and in at least one case is a separate program entirely). Other issues include hit-and-miss scripting issues (e.g. some stuff will trigger UAC prompts and others won't, with no rhyme or reason or good way to troubleshoot), and remote connectivity that's similarly unreliable and can take several minutes to get going if it gets working at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Can you elaborate on the poo poo monitoring? Like, does it have far too limited options, or you tell it to monitor something and it doesn't work, or something else?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We ended up rolling a LabTech Cloud trial for about a week and like it a hell of a lot more than Kaseya already. Very cool features like being able to right-click a service on a computer's console page and starting a monitoring of the service in just a few clicks, silently uninstalling applications from a silent add/remove programs on the same page, and it seems everything Kaseya flat-out refused to do, like being able to run alerts on a schedule, are doable here. I may, time allowing, do a more detailed write-up on comparisons once I've gone a bit deeper and if there's sufficient interest.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KuroKisei posted:

How did you find the responsiveness of the Control Centre app when using the Labtech Cloud?

I found it quite good. Admittedly we have a 100 megabit connection here, but I haven't find it problematic so far. We may yet go with an in-house server for increased control, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We're currently running a months-long trial of LabTech.

Its monitoring is insanely thorough by default; it will, for example, regularly do nslookups for google.com, yahoo.com, cnn.com and :foxnews:.com on ALL servers, and report if those gently caress up for anybody. I put my own computer on its monitoring and my inbox filled up with everything my system was doing horribly wrong. This will definitely take quite a bit of tweaking, but there seem to be options to keep these alerts aside (and not send email) and then if someone calls saying they're having issues, there's something to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maniaman posted:

We settled with GFI for now. Not the greatest, but the price is right.

Seriously all the MSP software out there sucks. Interfaces are as complicated as can e, there's no good remote access that's cleanly branded or for that matter hidden, and the decent software is cost prohibitive unless you have a ton of customers.

Having used both Kaseya and LabTech, I've learned that they're never going to get everything built-in right, and you pretty much have to buy some additional software/subscriptions and figure out how to integrate them to make things work in a way that doesn't make you want to kill yourself. LabTech's VNC connectivity is roughly at the same level Kaseya's was a few years back, which is to say it's god-awful and requires crazy lucky and voodoo to work right, let alone with a fast speed. Currently we have both a TeamViewer license and a Ninite license, and with the back end properly managed that's doing what we need it to for the time being.

• Locked thread