Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

So I received some pricing from GFI but I don't think I can justify the granularity of the costs.

The pricing is per server per module (test). Some are worth it (Backup check) but others aren't (I'm not paying £0.50p a month per server for a "ping test"). I am seriously tempted to write a basic agent/server in VB and just test it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

don't look at it that way. just assume you'll use everything, and price it at the cap. $13.95/mo for servers, $1/mo per workstation, and $1/mo per machine that uses their AV product.

13.95 isn't cheap for servers, but $1 per workstation is cheap, and $1 for an antivirus product that works on servers is also pretty good.

edit :unless they gave you vastly different pricing than what I'm getting... :/

The pricing is not too different, we are getting slightly screwed over more than you as we are in England. It looks cheap until you put it on 150 servers and 1500 workstations, then it isn't so cheap. I could hire a full time programmer and a low level tech for that amount per month.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Maniaman posted:

How do you have your service agreements structured if you don't mind telling?

Company pays per device. Laptops are slightly more expensive than workstations. Servers approximately 3 x a workstation cost. This gets a client unlimited remote support, free onsite visits and proactive/reactive maintenance limited to OS, Windows critical server services AD/DNS/Backups/File sharing/updates/security etc.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

St0rmD posted:

You could, and in 5 years you might have a web site that does half of what a GFI or Continuum (formerly Zenith Infotech) does, half as well, with less support. Instead of thinking "I could get a full-time programmer and a cheap tech for this", think "I'm getting a whole team of programmers who have already built the application and are in support mode, and a whole NOC staff for this"

Also, why aren't you just factoring the cost of your monitoring platform into your pricing and passing it along to the client the way every other MSP does?

I see where you are coming from but I don't quite agree. The reason I am not doing it is because I wasn't there from Day 1, otherwise you can be damned sure it would be factored in. We already have monitoring for servers, it's just not as versatile or in depth as I'd like. The thing with GFI is it is ridiculously difficult to customise and in some cases a rip off $1 a month to ping a server? That's $1200 a year just do a ping.

I also have to factor what I need out of a program like GFI. I am sure a lot of the functionality would be redundant, I don't see any reason to monitor workstations that are none business critical. If you set the server up correctly you hardly have to touch them.

I'm not a master programmer, infact I am mostly a nublet but if I had 6 months and a solid understanding of .NET I genuinely think I could replicate the functionality that I roughly have at the moment, which is why I was after something more polished.

As a MSP I have never been impressed buying everything modularised, £1 here for this, £2.50 for this, it starts to become expensive very fast.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

granted, to your point StormD, I think GFI is cheap, and it shouldn't matter how many servers and workstations you put it on, so long as you're charging per workstation per month. With my pricing model and the numbers trinitrotoluene provided, I'd be taking in about $130-165,000/mo, with GFI costing me $3600-4750/mo. I mean hell, hire the programmer and low level tech, and keep GFI too, with those profit margins!

I can't emphasise this enough. The client does not, for the most part care about what the costs are for their monthly figure, they have an amount in mind and if you want to win that work you have to come closer than anyone else bidding for it. Infact, in my experience clients don't really care about the technical stuff. What they do want:

1) Immediately answered phone calls with an engineer who can sort out their issue immediately on the other side
2) Engineers that see a problem through and ensure they are happy
3) Quick response on anything

Sort those out and they will never leave.

Be interested to chat about what you charge your clients exactly Mindphlux but like you I am not putting our rates on a public forum. I will add you to Google Talk sometime later on this week!

Trinitrotoluene fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 15, 2012

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not sure how GFI does patch management but we use WSUS. One upstream server with groups setup for every client. We have test groups identified and setup for each client for each set of hotfixes. I can rollout an emergency fix across all my clients with a few clicks.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I mean - by all means it's admirable that you've put together a set of tools, but my head hurts thinking about trying to use teamviewer without GFI's tools. I hate teamviewer enough as it is!

I'm guessing this is a single company's IT department, and not a MSP you work for? because I think my head would just explode if you're a MSP.

We use teamviewer as an MSP and it works fantastically well. We have literally one click access to all users; from knowing just their name I can have one click access to their PC in under 5 seconds.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

What's the pricing like on continuum? Any rough guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

which seems like a goddamn nightmare (even with a "YOU BREAK IT, IT'S BILLABLE" agreement in place).

This is where you bill $120 an hour to fix the problem. Nothing is a nightmare at $120 an hour!

• Locked thread