Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
We're in the process of switching from Kaseya to LabTech. It's been a long process, as LabTech really isn't as refined as they make you think, although it's much, much more capable than Kaseya. I'm hoping that in the next year it will get a much-needed polish. I'm happy to answer whatever questions anyone may have. I work for a MSP that targets small business; we have almost 700 endpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

mindphlux posted:

weeks later, still sort of disappointed, and just sort of beginning to accept that even if nothing out there can even do what I want (I'm not even sure what I want a MSP package to do any longer, that's how ridiculous this search has gotten), at least GFI is cheap enough to where if I dump it 6 months out, it shouldn't be the end of the world.

A horrible way to make a business decision, but I just don't know what else to do. I've logged probably 40-50 hours researching this poo poo at this point.

Stick with it. Look at LabTech. 40-50 hours is *nothing* compared to how much time an RMM tool can save you.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
LabTech doesn't have integrated AV at this time - it's coming later this year and will be based around ESET NOD32.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Stugazi posted:

Dell's affordable MD3xxx series iSCSI SAN can now mix and match storage pools (SSD and 10k) so we are looking at that as an option.

It's half the price of an EMC VNXE.

For SMB I think it's acceptable.

I hope so, as we have a PO for one now. :)

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but I'd be interested to see the quote comparison - PM me if you're willing to share.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
See that's what I don't believe. Having sold both (we're a Dell and EMC partner), the numbers don't make sense.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Not really sure, and yes - but not under contracts.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
For fun, I just priced out a md3220i and a VNXe3150. I kept apples and apples wherever possible - 300GB 10K SAS disks (24 for the Dell, 25 for the EMC - both their max). The EMC came out $600 above, yet has a lot more features (block, file and CIFS/SMB vs just block for the md, 8GB RAM in each controller vs 4, the ability to add I/O modules, a much better interface - the list goes on and on).

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
The poster above me speaks the truth. Unfortunately, I think a lot of business owners need to feel the pain for themselves (with this, and other challenges).

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
We've transitioned to MXLogic and I don't hear any complaints.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Caged posted:

What are your recommendations for structured storing of data about client sites (e.g. servers should include user accounts, IPs, serial number, specs etc. network hardware should include user accounts, IP addresses, interfaces, maybe even be able to virtually cable devices together).

The most important thing is that it's easy to put the data into the system, easy to edit it, and easy to pull it back out. My experience with GLPI has taught me that while it's very powerful, it's also horrendous to use, so nobody does. Search is incredibly important - I want to be able to type in "[client] router" and it shows me everything that is categorized as a router relating to that client.

I guess an alternative to something specifically designed for IT hardware would be a wiki style application that can be divided up by client with some customizable and enforced templates, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Short of a real PSA tool like ConnectWise, RackTables can do pretty much everything you're asking.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
And don't privilege their "daily" account. Make a separate account just for admin stuff. That said - if they're on any sort of all-you-can-eat contract, don't do this. You give them a user account and a ridiculously long complicated password in a sealed envelope. Audit logon events for that account. If you find that it's been logged on to, you charge a fee to audit the network for changes.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Stugazi posted:

AutoTask bought an RMM company called CentraStage.

Never heard of them but find it interesting. CentraStage could offer new MSPs or those lookign to switch an RMM that isn't saddled with legacy crap (looking at you ConnectWise).

Anyone have experience with CentraStage?

Picking nits, but ConnectWise isn't an RMM, it's a PSA, like AutoTask. CentraStage looks neat though.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
To be equally fair both Labtech and Connectwise have shittastic interfaces.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Trinitrotoluene posted:

This is where you bill $120 an hour to fix the problem. Nothing is a nightmare at $120 an hour!

Heh. Our standard rate is higher than that :)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Stugazi posted:

Anyone rocking Quosal or ConnectWise ChatAssist?

We just signed on for Quosal so we basically put a ring on ConnectWise. No going back now.

ChatAssist features look great too. Would love to hear firsthand experience.

We have Quosal. I've used both Quosal and Quotewerks now, and I can't say I really like either. Quosal is quirky, and god forbid you want to format text in the web interface (haven't tried in the fat client - it's slow). The web client is a bit quicker, but to put things in perspective they give you a little game to play while your quote is rendering to PDF - no joke. It also doesn't update pricing accurately. Quotewerks I last used 2.5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was written in VB6 and desperately needing an overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I honestly can't answer 1 and 2, as that's outside of my job function. It definitely does proposals, has Etilize lookups and all that, and can even decipher some Dell quotes. As I mentioned before, text formatting sucks, and I don't know of a way to pull in documents from outside sources. You're definitely going to me more hands-on with it than I am, so you might have a different experience.

• Locked thread