Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Regex posted:

I've used Zenith Infotech (http://www.zenithinfotech.com/) before - a pretty standard Indian MSP company. There's a few like them, but that's the only one I have experience with.

It includes a license to Vipre

Vipre was one of the things that turned me off when I looked at Zenith Infotech. Why are they including a crappy anti-virus that nobody's ever heard of and that sounds like a car alarm manufacturer?

Packaged anti-virus in general turns me off from MSP software providers, just like the crappy managed McAfee helped turn me off from Sonicwall years ago. I want to be able to tell my clients I am providing them with what I think is the best anti-virus solution, not some add-on crap that's included in a package deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I could handle the name and it's lack of visibility, but as far as I know Vipre still refuses to be included in the av-comparatives.org tests which seems shady to me.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I've been using GFI max for around 6 weeks now and so far I really like it. We have 2 clients on it for a total of 3 servers and 42 workstations. These clients were previously break-fix clients.

Maybe it will change going forward as these machines get up to speed on patches etc, but I consider the costs to be pretty much inconsequential compared to the labor costs involved. If you're telling a client that you are doing patch management, you can't just install GFI and be done with it. In my (limited) experience, there are a lot of patches that don't get installed (.NET framework service packs, IE upgrades, etc.). And while GFI allows you to do this remotely, it still takes time.

I'm suggesting to my boss that we bill it at $20/month per workstation and $50/per month per server. This is just for our "Monitoring, Patch Management and Remote Support" package. I'm telling him that those prices may not be enough to cover the costs of my labor for the first month or two, but that I anticipate it will be enough for a little profit after that. Any hours performed outside of the realm of patch management and making sure A/V is active will be additional, whether billed as part of an expanded service contract or a la carte.

Also, I notice that GFI has a webinar entitled "Selling Cloud Services to Business Owners, not IT Managers" coming up on the 23rd which may help some of us more tech oriented people frame the advantages to less technical people: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/289764678 I don't know if it will actually help, but it's something I could personally use. I find that when I try to explain the benefits of an MSP product to clients it comes out sounding like I want them to pay for a tool that will make my life easier.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2012

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Since this thread got bumped, I'm still using GFI-MAX and I really like it.

It may not be as advanced as some of the others, but it's easier to use, it's cheap as hell, it gives me teamviewer for each machine, and does a decent job with patch management. It's been a tool that I use to make my job easier rather than a project where I'm spending an unreasonable amount of time learning to use it.

Also, I like that's hosted and doesn't require a server because I can use it for the tiny clients with a few workstations. These are usually my least favorite clients for on-site service calls because those calls are usually short and traveling there feels like a waste of my time (With larger clients there's almost always a bunch of things I can do while I'm there.)

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 19, 2012

• Locked thread