Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daydream
Jan 1, 2006

JUMP you son of a bitch!
This is a solid read. Gonna keep tabs on it.

BUILD MORE FARMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Holy balls now I really want a good pizza. I am very tempted to make one from scratch too, I've done it before and it turned out pretty well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't terribly hard, no. I've never done it with awesome farm-fresh ingredients, though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It is really troubling how good a pig tastes!

Excellent manga so far, thanks for sharing it with us.

MMania
May 7, 2008
Wow, this is really good. Heck, the story in the first (whoops!) 10 chapters is already better than a lot of finished series. Here's hoping they don't get all weepy when Pork Bowl's three months are up.

MMania fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 15, 2011

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MMania posted:

Wow, this is really good. Heck, the story in the first 11 chapters is already better than a lot of finished series. Here's hoping they don't get all weepy when Pork Bowl's three months are up.

They will cry tears of joy over how loving delicious that bacon will be.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

11 chapters? I can only find 10, you can't say there is a new one then not hook us up with a link bro :smith:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Paper Lion posted:

11 chapters? I can only find 10, you can't say there is a new one then not hook us up with a link bro :smith:
This reader sucks but I think this is Silver Spoon 11 (I don't remember it).

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
That was such a good chapter, but you weren't kidding about that reader sucking rear end. That's like the first manga reader I've seen that doesn't let you advance by clicking on the picture. Oh well. ~First world problems~

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's a better host

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/?manga=Silver+Spoon&chapter=Silver+Spoon+11&page=1#page=1

It came out just a few hours ago so yeah, limited hosting at the moment.

I love how much content she crams into these chapters. :allears:

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Yeah, it's insane the amount of content in this for a weekly. And it's all great content!

That joke about the parents not being home, but the grandparents being there is one of the best cliche callouts. It's setup perfectly and then the reaction where he's proud for not falling for it but also bummed cause he was right is great.

I really like Hachiken as a main character, he's really relatable or something.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh my, this series is so wonderfully unshamefully happy. I know that we're going to get a few dark spots in the future, but if it keeps up this :D -ness I'll be an avid reader.

Laughter Pizza is awesome.

KoB
May 1, 2009
12: http://somemanga.com/manga/Silver_Spoon/12/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess that finding people to marry into farming families that aren't already claimed by their own family's farm is very difficult. Oh no, Hachiken is in danger!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
So good, thanks! This is really helping with my Moyashimon withdrawal.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess that finding people to marry into farming families that aren't already claimed by their own family's farm is very difficult. Oh no, Hachiken is in danger!

Traditionally in Japan a bride would join the groom's family on marriage; assuming Mikage is an only child (I don't recall seeing any suggestion of others), they may be worried that once she marries there will be no one to take over the farm. They may think that if Hachiken's family doesn't have a traditional lifestyle he'd be willing to break tradition and take over their farm.

You hear about a variant of this causing trouble in China; since they have a one child policy, couples abandon/abort female children so they'll have someone to continue the family and take care of them when they're older, leading to skewed demographics.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bremen posted:

Traditionally in Japan a bride would join the groom's family on marriage; assuming Mikage is an only child (I don't recall seeing any suggestion of others), they may be worried that once she marries there will be no one to take over the farm. They may think that if Hachiken's family doesn't have a traditional lifestyle he'd be willing to break tradition and take over their farm.

You hear about a variant of this causing trouble in China; since they have a one child policy, couples abandon/abort female children so they'll have someone to continue the family and take care of them when they're older, leading to skewed demographics.

That tends to be only with heads of the family and in traditional (e.g., farmer) families? the fact that Hachiken is not from a family business of any sort (and thus not attached to it) and even further, is not set to "inherit" the family as its head (being a middle echelon son), he is thus free to take over any venture at will, really.

Which is their hope I guess?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
So I noticed that Mikage's family has a dog. I hope it's named Black Hayate. :3:

Really enjoying this manga; it's educational and fun to read.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
For a weird slice of life horse riding manga, this is better than I expected!

I think the translation seems to be missing the mark with a couple of things, though? Hachiken boasts about knowing all the tricks to contolling his horse, but then turns his shoulders to look at Mikage (which is the dressage signal for the horse to turn right), and when his horse unexpectedly turns right into a tree, the only explanation given is "he's still looking down on horses".

For a manga that's packed in ton of detail, that seems like it would have been explained in a little more detail for people who don't hapen to know what happens if you sit on a well-trained horse, and lower your right shoulder :confused:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tyma posted:

I think the translation seems to be missing the mark with a couple of things, though? Hachiken boasts about knowing all the tricks to contolling his horse, but then turns his shoulders to look at Mikage (which is the dressage signal for the horse to turn right), and when his horse unexpectedly turns right into a tree, the only explanation given is "he's still looking down on horses".:

I thought the implication was more that he was thinking lowly of the horse, and since they've repeatedly implied that that horse Knows When You Think Badly Of It, it took it out on him. That was the joke.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.
I don't venture here often but I thank the gods that I did. This is the best manga I've read in a while. Can someone recommend me similar manga?

Also, as someone who has some experience with farms there isn't nearly enough shoveling poo poo in this manga.

And horses are assholes in real life.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

notafbiagent posted:

I don't venture here often but I thank the gods that I did. This is the best manga I've read in a while. Can someone recommend me similar manga?

Similar in what way? Like, has a focus on farming? If that's what you're looking for, there's always Vinland Saga. :v:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Huh! Not a bad read!

Kinda typical in a way since Arakawa came from a farming family in Hokkaido.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

notafbiagent posted:

Also, as someone who has some experience with farms there isn't nearly enough shoveling poo poo in this manga.

After spending the past 2 days shoveling pig poo poo, I'm going to have to agree with this hahah.

I did however have the same reaction as Hachiken when I went for my first ride in a tractor. :3: Didn't grow up on a farm, so I find myself smiling a lot during each chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

moflika posted:

After spending the past 2 days shoveling pig poo poo, I'm going to have to agree with this hahah.

I did however have the same reaction as Hachiken when I went for my first ride in a tractor. :3: Didn't grow up on a farm, so I find myself smiling a lot during each chapter.
Silver Spoon 13 is out.

There is some poo poo-shoveling. :D

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Similar in what way? Like, has a focus on farming? If that's what you're looking for, there's always Vinland Saga. :v:

There's also Hyakushou Kizoku, which is the manga that Arakawa did right before she started Silver Spoon.

http://www.mangareader.net/hyakushou-kizoku

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ichiro-chan.

Also, how the hell is eight kilometres "just a little farther" under these circumstances? That's five miles!

notafbiagent posted:

Well, you try pitching your next series with "It's a poo poo manga!"

Edit: Aaargh sorry.

Kiamet
Feb 2, 2007

In its early days, TV was like a nymphomaniac clairvoyant. A medium you could turn on with a knob.

symphoniccacophony posted:

There's also Hyakushou Kizoku, which is the manga that Arakawa did right before she started Silver Spoon.

http://www.mangareader.net/hyakushou-kizoku

Milk will save the world! :swoon:

It seems like she started this, then maybe she and her editors decided to start anew with characters and a story? Whatever the case, I'm really enjoying Silver Spoon!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Silver Spoon 13 is out.

There is some poo poo-shoveling. :D

Excellent. This is the first time that I've been up-to-date on a manga, and have been reading it as new chapters come out. Needless to say... it's torture. How can you all do this!?!? I guess there's always other stories to keep me occupied out there, but still...

Anyway, even as a volunteer, I would have gotten laid off quick had I messed around with my cell on the first day as much as Hachikun did :mad:. Guy has it good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

moflika posted:

Excellent. This is the first time that I've been up-to-date on a manga, and have been reading it as new chapters come out. Needless to say... it's torture. How can you all do this!?!? I guess there's always other stories to keep me occupied out there, but still...

Anyway, even as a volunteer, I would have gotten laid off quick had I messed around with my cell on the first day as much as Hachikun did :mad:. Guy has it good.

Its just a week. You get used to it I guess, like TV shows and all that.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should slow down my reading speed and soak in the art a bit or something, because those ~19 pages go by QUICK!

Then again, that could just be a sign of a good chapter.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wow, just read all 13 chapters last night and would never have expected a comic about farming to be this engaging.

I think one of the best qualities (aside from being absolutely hilarious) is that it avoids the regular cliche drama bullshit of a typical school setting. Namely that everyone gets along incredibly well, there aren't any bullies, and it never feels like the world is out to get Hachiken. Arakawa is a really impressive mangaka if she can move from something like FMA to this and still knock it out of the park.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

To be fair, she did grow up on a farm.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gently caress I had no idea Hiromu Arakawa had started another manga, and it's weekly? I really need to read this. I lost track of FMA several years ago and got around to reading it about 6 chapters before the ending.

I have no idea how a farming manga could be interesting, but I've bought a harvest moon every few years, and how the gently caress do you make a farming game interesting? (Japan somehow does that's how).

I have to say the quality of the pages is much higher then FMA's scanlations were, some of them were really bad (they got pretty good near the end).

e: I love how all the characters look like a cross between multiple FMA characters.

e2: more people need to read this, I have no idea why this is good, but I'm enjoying it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 19, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pixaal posted:

how the gently caress do you make a farming game interesting? (Japan somehow does that's how).

Don't forget Farmville. :patriot:

e: also the anno and settlers games

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
This manga isn't just about farming! It also has pizza making as a climactic showdown!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like this a lot, although I could do without the infinitely predictable reactions to his expectations("Oh this means I won't have to do as much work!" *is forced to do twice as much*) literally every single time he makes a decision. That's basically my only complaint though. Also it looks like poo poo's about to go down upon our "hero's" head next chapter.

And I hate Mikage because she reminds me of a Down-A-Clown carnival shooting game target.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
New Chapter Yay venison!:negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The smart, knowing grin on the grandpa's face on the last page is magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Man, I'm not a stranger to some of the stuff Hachiken has been dealing with in the latest chapters but it's definitely not a world most people would comfortable step in. It makes me grin, and yet, I wonder if I'd react similarly these days.

• Locked thread