Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yay venison! was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Man, this chapter's getting me all nostalgic about when I used to go hunting with my dad and uncle. Venison is delicious

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Makes me nostalgic for the venison curry that I can order anytime at my local Kashmiri-Mexican fusion restaurant. City Supremacy :smug:

E: brb, getting curry.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
drat, another great chapter. It's crazy just how much I can relate to what goes down every few pages. I can't say I ever had a problem with the circle of life, but I did have a moment when I realized that you can play hard after working hard all day long. Mountain biking is the thing to do around here after 12+ hours of work.

Farm life is crazy as hell, but everyone I've met so far wouldn't have it any other way. I'll be interested to see what Hachiken's dream ends up being... aside from knocking up Aki, of course!

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

moflika posted:

I'll be interested to see what Hachiken's dream ends up being...

I'm guessing he'll end up a chef, cooking what he grows and whatnot.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Tarodia posted:

I'm guessing he'll end up a chef, cooking what he grows and whatnot.

That's my guess too, what with the pizza and the Yay Venison!.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Huh, really? I figured with how specialized everyone else is, and how pleased the president was that Hachiken doesn't have a dream, that he's destined for some kind of generalist position, like management, or being a teacher.

Huh! Or a food processor/distributor of some kind. That would fit, just like you guys say.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.
I'm going out on a limb here and say that he's going to be the best drat accountant ever. Or the best drat middle management of a downtown Tokyo firm.

Seriously, just because he's going to agri school doesn't mean he's going to become farmer john. It's only high school. I mean he's doing this so he can get a better placement in university choices by virtue of being top of class.

I predict that he's going to spend the next 3 years escaping from whatever family problems he has and his hatred of the grind of high school prep (which he seems to be really good at so it stands to reason that he was probably top of his class in j.hs as well.) In the meantime he will learn valuable lessons about life and friendship in this rag tag group of unlikely fellows where he will find a deeper understanding of the world and that life is hard everywhere and although he had come out to Hokkaido to escape from what he considered an academic prison even out in the country people try just as hard to achieve their goals and the main problem he had was that he was sprinting a marathon he should have been jogging instead. His family actually loves him very much and he comes to terms with his own problems and moves on to a big name school.

Also, a few chapters down the line, before the slaughtering, Beefbowl will be kidnapped/rescued by Hachi and the ragtag team of friends and they will hide him in the woods near the trash collection spot. Alas, while sneaking food to Beefbowl it is revealed that Beefbowl has escaped through a hole in his enclosure out into a torrential rain and all the rest of the animals are to be evacuated for fear of a flash flood. Desperate to rescue Beefbowl Hachi sneaks into the stables to ride the ugly horse to find him and Aki joins him while the rest of the crew search frantically for the two in the rain.

Hachi and Aki never find Beefbowl and in a freak accident Aki falls off the horse and they must find shelter in an abandoned shed because the roads are all flooded and oh no it is too cold they have to warm each other somehow oh god this is embarassing but hey, this is the chance that Hachi has been looking for! At the crucial moment however the door is opened and its the principal and oh look Beefbowl led them to the shed, which it turns out is right behind the principals mansion in the school. And will you look at that, the flood has unearthed a hot spring! Which is haunted.

Beefbowl is saved and named the school mascot for saving their lives. So it's back to studying and the hilarious hyjinks of farming and everything seems well and the tension between Aki and Hachi seems to be developing steadily when oh hey, who is this little kid entering the high school? Oh my god it's Hachi's like sister Nana who wants to come to school to be with her Oniiiiichan~~~ Hachi is now like the most popular dude ever and he's got a steady harem thing going with a few of the fat chicks but the Holstein club is after Nana! Whom she tames and enslaves to ensure that no whoreslutfarmbitch gets their poo poo smeared hands on her precious OniiiChhhhhhaaaann.

But it turns out that Hachi doesn't really have a sister in real life. It's a ghost from the haunted hot spring which has tricked everyone and only Beefbowl can see her as a true ghost because that's what animals do. The ghost had been lured by the smell of pizza and had chosen Hachi to be her long lost betrothed who just happens to look exactly like Hachi who it turns out looks a lot like what the Principal used to look like and hey, Nana is actually the ghost of the principal's childhood friend who drowned in the hot spring and that's why he built his house near there.

And then there's some poo poo with a cooking competition against big food companies that make pizzas out of imported goods instead of good old domestic products.
And a rival agricultral school for the world's most elite families opening up right next door which only allows rich kids in and they have maids and poo poo, some of whom are ninjas.
And the big beefy looking kid takes the school to the baseball finals but he breaks his arm but he plays anyway to confess his true feelings for the fat chick who runs farms like Google and they take their hick farm to international ConAgra level poo poo.

Hrm and one of the Holstein freaks turns out to be a feared legendary fist of the the street and neverlosing fighter of unending passion in some town who had a change of heart and decided to inherit the family farming business instead of the family yakuza business. All of which is revealed by a new teacher who used to be the gang's previous leader but he's a decent guy deep down.

Oh and somebody dies... erm let's say the freckled bitch. She dies of cancer. Caused by freckles. Freckles not being common on Japanese people it turns out they were little malignant tumors everyone attributed to bad skin due to growing up dirt poor in hicktowns.

BEST MANGA EVER

The above is just ramblings and me typing really loudly and fast while looking serious so that my boss doesn't get mad at me. If any of this stuff happens I'll probably hate this manga forever and it probably won't because what kind of idiot would make a manga like this. Sure it'll sell millions but goddamn it I want to enjoy my highly unprofitable farming manga while I can and this author made enough money now to do whatever she wants.

Also, they turn one of the tractors into a mecha. Beefbowl drives it. Agaisnt another mecha driven by an artificial intelligence the industrial high builds. There were no survivors.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

notafbiagent posted:

I'm going out on a limb here and say that he's going to be the best drat accountant ever. Or the best drat middle management of a downtown Tokyo firm.

Seriously, just because he's going to agri school doesn't mean he's going to become farmer john. It's only high school. I mean he's doing this so he can get a better placement in university choices by virtue of being top of class.

I predict that he's going to spend the next 3 years escaping from whatever family problems he has and his hatred of the grind of high school prep (which he seems to be really good at so it stands to reason that he was probably top of his class in j.hs as well.) In the meantime he will learn valuable lessons about life and friendship in this rag tag group of unlikely fellows where he will find a deeper understanding of the world and that life is hard everywhere and although he had come out to Hokkaido to escape from what he considered an academic prison even out in the country people try just as hard to achieve their goals and the main problem he had was that he was sprinting a marathon he should have been jogging instead. His family actually loves him very much and he comes to terms with his own problems and moves on to a big name school.

Also, a few chapters down the line, before the slaughtering, Beefbowl will be kidnapped/rescued by Hachi and the ragtag team of friends and they will hide him in the woods near the trash collection spot. Alas, while sneaking food to Beefbowl it is revealed that Beefbowl has escaped through a hole in his enclosure out into a torrential rain and all the rest of the animals are to be evacuated for fear of a flash flood. Desperate to rescue Beefbowl Hachi sneaks into the stables to ride the ugly horse to find him and Aki joins him while the rest of the crew search frantically for the two in the rain.

Hachi and Aki never find Beefbowl and in a freak accident Aki falls off the horse and they must find shelter in an abandoned shed because the roads are all flooded and oh no it is too cold they have to warm each other somehow oh god this is embarassing but hey, this is the chance that Hachi has been looking for! At the crucial moment however the door is opened and its the principal and oh look Beefbowl led them to the shed, which it turns out is right behind the principals mansion in the school. And will you look at that, the flood has unearthed a hot spring! Which is haunted.

Beefbowl is saved and named the school mascot for saving their lives. So it's back to studying and the hilarious hyjinks of farming and everything seems well and the tension between Aki and Hachi seems to be developing steadily when oh hey, who is this little kid entering the high school? Oh my god it's Hachi's like sister Nana who wants to come to school to be with her Oniiiiichan~~~ Hachi is now like the most popular dude ever and he's got a steady harem thing going with a few of the fat chicks but the Holstein club is after Nana! Whom she tames and enslaves to ensure that no whoreslutfarmbitch gets their poo poo smeared hands on her precious OniiiChhhhhhaaaann.

But it turns out that Hachi doesn't really have a sister in real life. It's a ghost from the haunted hot spring which has tricked everyone and only Beefbowl can see her as a true ghost because that's what animals do. The ghost had been lured by the smell of pizza and had chosen Hachi to be her long lost betrothed who just happens to look exactly like Hachi who it turns out looks a lot like what the Principal used to look like and hey, Nana is actually the ghost of the principal's childhood friend who drowned in the hot spring and that's why he built his house near there.

And then there's some poo poo with a cooking competition against big food companies that make pizzas out of imported goods instead of good old domestic products.
And a rival agricultral school for the world's most elite families opening up right next door which only allows rich kids in and they have maids and poo poo, some of whom are ninjas.
And the big beefy looking kid takes the school to the baseball finals but he breaks his arm but he plays anyway to confess his true feelings for the fat chick who runs farms like Google and they take their hick farm to international ConAgra level poo poo.

Hrm and one of the Holstein freaks turns out to be a feared legendary fist of the the street and neverlosing fighter of unending passion in some town who had a change of heart and decided to inherit the family farming business instead of the family yakuza business. All of which is revealed by a new teacher who used to be the gang's previous leader but he's a decent guy deep down.

Oh and somebody dies... erm let's say the freckled bitch. She dies of cancer. Caused by freckles. Freckles not being common on Japanese people it turns out they were little malignant tumors everyone attributed to bad skin due to growing up dirt poor in hicktowns.

BEST MANGA EVER

The above is just ramblings and me typing really loudly and fast while looking serious so that my boss doesn't get mad at me. If any of this stuff happens I'll probably hate this manga forever and it probably won't because what kind of idiot would make a manga like this. Sure it'll sell millions but goddamn it I want to enjoy my highly unprofitable farming manga while I can and this author made enough money now to do whatever she wants.

Also, they turn one of the tractors into a mecha. Beefbowl drives it. Agaisnt another mecha driven by an artificial intelligence the industrial high builds. There were no survivors.

This is the most ~ANIME~ thing ever, and I love it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
But what about the power of Friendship? :shobon:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

notafbiagent posted:

BEST MANGA EVER

Frame this post (for murder(because I'm laughing myself to death)).

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

notafbiagent posted:

I cannot wait for this arc. :golfclap:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Chapter 15 is out! Out, damned spot! out, I say! Poor Hachiken. Man, Grandpa is so badass this chapter. I am looking forward to more misadventures with Mikage's family.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I Watson posted:

Chapter 15 is out! Out, damned spot! out, I say! Poor Hachiken. Man, Grandpa is so badass this chapter. I am looking forward to more misadventures with Mikage's family.
That chapter was amazing. Grandpa is such a dick, and then the bear at the end. :D Such a good series.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
And here's the link to the chapter.

e: Hachiken, Mikage, and a bear corpse. Looks like they'll be eating well. :v:

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2011

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If Karl May is anything to go by, bear paws are delicious.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I laughed way, way too hard at the dead deer being blindfolded so Hachi wouldn't have to look at its eyes.

This is fantastic.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can't butcher a blindfolded deer... that smacks of murder.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

And afterwards the blindfold was off, so it was still looking at him:v:

And what a romantic ending~ Does bear taste good?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Just by looking at one I'd guess it's probably tough but in a stew or slow cooker it might be nice. I'd certainly love to try one!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I have always been of the understanding that it tastes like rear end.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm pretty sure it was brown bear I had, but I'm not sure. A friend of mine's dad got one about 10 years ago in Northern Michigan. It's very greasy, but it's a dense meat. I don't really remember the flavor too much, but it wasn't as gamy as I was expecting, nothing at all like the wild boar I'd had before. The stuff I had was prepared in a stew, so I don't know how tough an actual bear steak would be if you could even cook it that way. I remember it being very lean for as much grease as it was putting out, but that might be a seasonal thing.

EDIT: Since I don't remember the taste very well, I'm going to half agree with Zorak on this one. It must not have been amazing, but I don't remember it tasting as bad as squirrel.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 2, 2011

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks guys. Maybe it's an "acquired" taste, then. I'm sure we'll find out in a chapter or two.

Zorak posted:

I have always been of the understanding that it tastes like rear end.

Carnivores are all supposed to taste bad, aren't they?

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
My stepdad hunts and one day on a rainy day I was watching a hunting show with him and the guys on it were cooking bear. They were slow cooking it to make sandwiches and the result looked like pulled pork. I was all "Man, that looks pretty good..."

I asked him about the taste and he said it wasn't spectacular and that slow cooking it is the only way, he finds, that makes it edible. He says it tastes quite grainy when not cooked enough.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

House Louse posted:

Carnivores are all supposed to taste bad, aren't they?

Salmon is delicious, man!

Also:

Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel; Chapter 9 posted:

"...I can personally attest to the deliciousness of lion burger"

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://www.mangareader.net/silver-spoon/16/1

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://www.mangareader.net/silver-spoon/16/1

Don't forget to mention the 4 week break! :gbsmith:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

moflika posted:

Don't forget to mention the 4 week break! :gbsmith:
Aww :(

The attention to detail in this manga impresses me. I grew up near a massive dairy farm, and it's pretty neat seeing the equipment used there drawn so accurately.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most predators are gamey and/or tough, but the solution to everything is just cooking them right.

Hell, duck is disgusting unless you know how to cook it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
One thing that kind of bothers me about this manga, thinking about it, is actually just HOW "cheery" it is. There's like... no disagreeances or ill-will ever. There's no negative social interactions beyond Hachiken's bad relationship with his family.

It just seems kind of odd that, say, the BUY OUT EVERYTHING megafarm subsidy gets along with a tiny little farm just doing their thang and they're on a first name basis? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Zorak posted:

It just seems kind of odd that, say, the BUY OUT EVERYTHING megafarm subsidy gets along with a tiny little farm just doing their thang and they're on a first name basis? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way.
It does around here. No one really dislikes the megafarm, and they don't exist in a social vacuum because of it. The owner's kids go to school just like everyone else, they still shop at the local stores, it's just an accepted fact that these people own over half of the surrounding farmlands. Country life is pretty laid back overall, mostly because we all know everyone else knows how to hide the bodies if someone starts raising serious problems. It might not qualify as "Cheery", but we let stuff most people would be bothered with slide, because it's just how life happens.

KoB
May 1, 2009
New Chapter
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/gin_no_saji/c017/1.html

e: 2nd page seems to say that the 1st volume was really popular!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Glad to see that it's back from the break! :buddy: I missed this manga.

Tama's outburst was pretty great. "MY GREATEST LOVE IS MONEY!!!" And cue all the dramatic poses.

e: Hachiken's reactions to the live birth were hilarious.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 15, 2011

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I had to do a double take on "Oh, my! :h:" but then I got it :laffo:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I just got back into this series after a while and I really like it. I get the same sense of :3: that I get from reading James Herriot.

I'm definitely going to be keeping a close eye on this series and this thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Glad to see this back. Was there any particular reason for the hiatus? Was she working on the family farm as a refresher? :v:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

God drat, Tama's "I LOVE MONEY!" bit absolutely slayed me, and I don't know why.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

an_mutt posted:

God drat, Tama's "I LOVE MONEY!" bit absolutely slayed me, and I don't know why.

A kindred spirit?

KoB
May 1, 2009
More!
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/gin_no_saji/c018/1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The last handful of pages were hilarious.

• Locked thread