Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

pidan posted:

There's an original Reek who is an unpleasant servant of Ramsay's. I don't think he ever appears in the story; he's caught doing something bad with Ramsay and they exchange clothes and Reek is executed insted of Ramsay, and that's still all backstory.

Then Ramsay plays the Reek role for quite a while, and becomes Theon's advisor at winterfell, teaching him all kinds of evil stuff.

Finally, Reek-Ramsay betrays Theon and makes him take on the role of Reek, while Ramsay is active under his original identity again.

I guess I never cared about that ridiculous side plot and it's characters to retain any... well, give-a-poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
A week with no posts.
Has the thread run it's course?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One post per year would still be a greater pace of writing than GRRM

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hasselblad posted:

A week with no posts.

I kept forgetting to bitch.

I'm on book 3 now. Cat is a dumbass. Assuming things with the Red Wedding are about the same as the show, then she got Robb killed.
Arya usually was pretty smart. But not having Jaqen kill the mountain or Tywin was just full on stupid. I get that she's a little kid and wants someone who is directly effecting her gone but her first death was stupid stupid.
The battle of the blackwater was way way better in the books. Much more interesting. On the show it is incredibly stupid.
Arya escaping harrenhal is better in the book, too.
And Brienne throwing boulders and boats was pretty entertaining, too.
But yeah, Cat is dumb as gently caress. Top tier stupid.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

A week with no posts.

Never. Even when GM dies thread will feed on the drama that follows. Will his drafts and notes be burned as promised? I doubt it. Rest assured - there will be lawyers aplenty if a successor is not named.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
The thread was always best when it was book-knowers laughing at show-only people, so it'll pick back up again when HOTD season 2 comes out.

I'm also still upset that they did DotD instead of the first Blackfyre Rebellion. They're not going to do TWO civil war shows between people in blonde wigs. (Please tell me I'm wrong)

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 23, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried watching that HOTD show. I don't think I even finished the first episode.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

von Metternich posted:

The thread was always best when it was book-knowers laughing at show-only people, so it'll pick back up again when HOTD season 2 comes out.

I'm also still upset that they did DotD instead of the first Blackfyre Rebellion. They're not going to do TWO civil war shows between people in blonde wigs. (Please tell me I'm wrong)

Day of the Dentacle?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried watching that HOTD show. I don't think I even finished the first episode.

It's trash elevated by a couple of good performances. Just watch any of the actually good TV and film featuring Paddy Considine instead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The first episode had me worried, but I liked the second onward.

I’m not saying “oh no you need to watch the whole season to appreciate its genius”, just that the first episode in particular has a goofy tone that is thankfully dispelled in the second.

I do have some reservations about some of the setpieces in the last few episodes. They’re dismissible now but they have that late-GoT smell about them.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Waltzing Along posted:

HOTD is slower than GoT but it will end up being the better series (ok, I guess that's not a high bar considering how GoT ended)

the problem with GoT is that the series is driven by a series of mysteries and it turns out the showrunners did not have very good answers to them by the end, so the show falls apart

the real strength of GoT turned out to be characters you cared about (until the writing went to crap post-season 4 at least)

HOTD has no mystery boxes and is really leaning into the political intrigue/character interactions that was the actual good part of the original GoT series

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Xiahou Dun posted:

To be 100% clear, I am in no way defending the show, it’s caustic dog poo poo. That being said, inside the stupid framework of the show, Bran being a weird orphan with no power base works great. He’s not an actual king. He’s an elected king, so the houses electing him have a strong incentive to vote for a weak monarch who can’t boss them around. This explicitly isn’t why they voted for him, that’s way dumber, but that specific part of it makes perfect sense from a real-world perspective.

But even if they’d rewritten that to be why Bran was chosen, they hosed that up and he’s still an omniscient tree-wizard who can possess anyone around you and make them kill you slowly. Because the show is loving dumb and written by hacks.

both the "Bran as Holy Roman Emperor level powerlessness suits the elector counts" and "Bran as all powerful god-king" angle make sense it's kinda amazing how the writers fked up by not even trying to explain either one when they had at least 3-4 hrs of runtime to do so

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've barely seen Strong Belwas so don't know why people like him so much. But it occurred to me, he's the Tom Bombadil of these books, isn't he? I mean, a popular character that got booted from the video adaptation because ultimately he didn't matter to the main story.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Nah Patchface is Tom Bombadil.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ASX and Glidus are too good for this poo poo series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtaKhcQMD6A

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There’s arguably like dozens if not hundreds of Tom
Bombadils in the ASoIaF -> GoT transition because there’s all sorts of quirky interesting characters that had to get cut to keep the series under 10,000 hours.

LotR despite being the go-to fantasy epic is pretty tight with its number of important named characters, aside from Bombadil the only ones I can think of being cut are Elrond’s son who rescues them (replaced with Liv Tyler’s character) and like the other named Ent who isn’t Treebeard who hangs out with Merry and Pippin during the Entmoot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

Bombadils in the ASoIaF -> GoT transition because there’s all sorts of quirky interesting characters that had to get cut to keep the series under 10,000 hours.

LotR despite being the go-to fantasy epic is pretty tight with its number of important named characters, aside from Bombadil the only ones I can think of being cut are Elrond’s son who rescues them (replaced with Liv Tyler’s character) and like the other named Ent who isn’t Treebeard who hangs out with Merry and Pippin during the Entmoot.

O what you didn't miss that dipshit kid that Pippin wrestles in Gondor or whatever.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's also the fifth hobbit friend called like Sleepy or whatever who gets left behind to look after Frodo's house while the boys go on a wild adventure

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Glorfindel isn't Elrond's son, he is much older than Elrond. He was born in Valinor, fought in the wars of the First Age and in fact died 22 years before Elrond's birth while fighting a Balrog! But he came back to life in the second age :eng101:

In short, he's way cooler than Elrond.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DaysBefore posted:

There's also the fifth hobbit friend called like Sleepy or whatever who gets left behind to look after Frodo's house while the boys go on a wild adventure

Fatty Bolger was rad and will be missed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

yeah that dude ends up leading the guerilla resistance against saruman tho so he's cool

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Martian posted:

Glorfindel isn't Elrond's son, he is much older than Elrond. He was born in Valinor, fought in the wars of the First Age and in fact died 22 years before Elrond's birth while fighting a Balrog! But he came back to life in the second age :eng101:

In short, he's way cooler than Elrond.

I guess this is where Dwarf Fortress got its history mode.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Guy A. Person posted:

I wish the Kettleblacks didn't get cut. :(

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

chaosapiant posted:

It’s weird looking back on my first read, rooting for Ned and admiring his honor as a character. Every subsequent read is more like “this dude is an idiot and absolutely incapable of doing politics.”

I think that is why the book was so enjoyable on rereads ( among other things ). You think you are in a fantasy novel with Dragons and White Walkers and a 700 foot wall holding back evil. You are in the North where a man is his word, and Honor binds us together. You are set up to believe this is the book you are reading. Where a young Bastard Snow is so concerned about his honor, he is going to give up everything, even sex, to die in the frozen wasteland of the north.

And in contrast you have the corrupt South, with their incest and court intrigue and warped dwarves. While we might expect that Ned might die, it would probably be in some cool boss fight. Or dying to save the lives of people. And he gets none of that. I used to get so angry on re-reads where he kills Lady. You go from cheering on Ned to loving cursing him, the more you reread. Ned thinks he's been cast in an action adventure, and it's really a horror movie. It really is a great experience and enjoyable read / re-read ( at least the first 2-3 books ).

Waltzing Along posted:

Littlefinger: it's my dagger but I lost it in a bet with Tyrion.
Dumb and Dumber: it must be Tyrion who did it. He's got to be as stupid as we are. Of course he'd use a weapon that was traceable back to him.
Tyrion: Are you loving stupid?
Dumber: (she just got to the Aerie but is having doubts)

I don't think it is that dumb, and easy to overlook on the first read

1) We are still in the "action adventure" part of the book, this is exactly the kind of thing villains do. I guess that is a bit meta, but it's why I didn't judge Cat too harshly while reading, or think her actions were stupid and insane. I mean, I feel bad for Cat. She gets poo poo on by readers, but she has one of the rougher story arcs, having to watch her immediate family be crippled, taken hostage or killed. I liked Zombie Cat, but I wish it had been tied into some larger arc regarding the return of magic.

2) In ye Olden Tymes forensics weren't really a thing. Tyrion could have expected his man to be successful, or at least that the dagger wouldn't lead back to him. [ I'm overlooking the inconsistent value of Valyrian weapons in ASOIAF, and see the dagger as "very nice, too nice for his for station" not "This is a named weapon of which there are only 150 in the world". Like a homeless man with an embossed Desert Eagle, or a vintage WWII Luger.

3) People really are this stupid, even smart people, when it comes to murder. Like it happens in the real world all the time.

On top of that, we always believe our enemies are evil and stupid. Cat fits the facts in front of her into her world view, and the answers seems obvious. People are a bit too harsh on Cat. She thinks she's in a Nancy Drew novel, but it is more Pet Cemetery.

Waltzing Along posted:

The weird thing about going through these books is waiting for book 4 when there should be a deluge of new stuff. So far almost everything has happened is in the show or was cut for obvious reasons, or merged with other things.
Book 4/5 aren't real books IMO. Book 4 is poo poo that got cut from 3, and a bunch of rambling side quests. Book 5 is more of the same. Probably 70% of these books should have been cut. Also "Meanwhile back at the wall" was so rage inducing at the time. Absolute Fucker.

Waltzing Along posted:

Another thought is that some of the writing is quite good. Except the girl parts, but most men have trouble writing women, so it's not too surprising.

Oh you mean when a woman hates a man, she doesn't gloatingly eat his cum? That was definitely an eye-roll moment for me.

pidan posted:

LitRPG is a genre, it's basically fantasy except it explicitly works on video game logic and characters do numerical damage and level up.

Some are literally about a video game, others just have the mechanics.

Oh, like Brandon Sanderson

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 25, 2024

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TERFherder posted:

Oh you mean when a woman hates a man, she doesn't gloatingly eat his cum? That was definitely an eye-roll moment for me.

Sticky princes triggered you?

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

That’s what I said, now

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Book 4 has simultaneously some of the best (the Cersei chapters) and worst chapters in the series

also Euron's monologue was pretty metal:

quote:

"Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Best chapter was the death march to Winterfell.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Best chapter was Dany making GBS threads liquids on the steppes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep getting the feeling that gurm really likes prostitutes. Like a lot. Probably fell in love with at least one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They're in a lot of his writing not just Ice iirc. I read some zombie anthology fifteenish years ago and he had a short story about corpses being reanimated as hookers for soace miners or something