Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I was listening to Boiled Leather Hour, the GOT podcast, and they were predicting that in the last two books (lol) or seasons, the political intrigue storylines would kind of fade away in favor of Dany/Jon/Fire/Ice/Magic stuff. Do we think that's the case? I really like Littlefinger and Varys and watching Cersei fail at everything, and I'd be real disappointed if the story just ended with dragons fighting ice spiders. (Also Danerys is the least interesting part of the story so gently caress me if that's how it turns out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Trash Trick posted:

That poo poo was bad, rear end

No empty quoting here, move along.

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 7, 2017

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Anyone reading Fire and Blood? There’s lots of incest and child marriage amd whores, as you’d expect, and the section I just read had Ser Grover Tully being succeeded by Ser Elmo. Jesus Christ, George.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Mad Hamish posted:

Ser Pounce never even got named to the Kingsguard and that travesty shall not stand.

IIRC Natalie Dormer doesn't like/is allergic to cats so they cut them out of Tommen's scenes with her.

I just listened to a podcast where they all agreed that Dance was better than Storm, and was the best and people who didn't like it just didn't understand it, man.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Apparently it's a fan theory that Littlefinger deliberately bankrupted the treasury for MAXIMUM CHAOS, but frankly I think Robert was capable of throwing huge feasts and giving out money to whoever asked for it and whatever other dumb things he did all on his own.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
The Hold the Door scene loving enraged me with how dumb it is, but for some reason the whole fandom, including people whose opinions I usually respect, loving loves it. It’s so unnecessary and stupid.

Also the tower of joy fight scene...really, everything about Bran’s story is incredibly stupid and disappointing.

The big question for me is...why is incest good now? The last season had like, romantic Jaime/Cersei scenes and now they’re having a baby together, and John’s loving his aunt. Are we supposed to be rooting for this, instead of horribly disgusted?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I think it’s just something he said offhand in an interview a while back when Robert Jordan died, I don’t thinks it’s some official directive.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Joe Abercrombie is my suggestion, hes clearly inspired by GRRM but, in my opinion, has better fight scenes and the characters have a bit more emotional depth. Similar kind of low-magic world and subversion/examination of tropes. The author’s twitter handle is Lord Grindark and he has a sense of humor about the genre that I like also.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Are there any GOT podcasts that have a similar vibe to this thread? All the ones I’ve found are extremely positive and are sure season 8 and books 4-5 are among the best work in the series if not human history and frankly, I need one for someone like me who’s a huge hater of all the stuff I like.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

RedSnapper posted:

He's just so supportive of the strike he started ten years early

Bunch of people making similar jokes on Twitter, (and also people saying they want to sue him for broken promises and emotional distress) and people melting down about how HE DOESNT OWE YOU ANYTHING I HOPE HE NEVER RELEASES WOW.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I really wanted to see GRRM's version of the Long Night. It would have sucked because GRRM sucks at writing battles, but it also would have just been so cool to finally see the promised throwdown between Jon and Dany and the Others. Alas

Jon is going to flex his hand a LOT. Because he burned it, and it gets stiff, you see. This will lead to the defeat of the Others.

More seriously, I don't think there's any way the elements that Dany dies, Bran becomes king, and Sansa becomes queen of an independent North, can happen together. The LEAST stupid way that can happen is "we won the war against the Others so now we get along and we're willing to ignore the rules we spend 5,000 pages contesting"...and that's still pretty stupid, it would make the series feel like a waste of the reader's time (even more than it is already HRRRR)

If Bran is king, why does the North break off? Unless there's some awful rupture between Bran and Sansa. And even then, Rickon and Jon come before Sansa, there has NEVER been a female ruler of Winterfell in like 5,000 years. Why would that change now? The drat novels are ALL ABOUT how individuals can try really hard to be better than their situation makes them, but the underlying social structures don't change and push you in the direction of being terrible. This isn't a Last Jedi situation where you have to kill the past and we all advance together into the new age of enlightenment and synthesis. And why would the North want to leave? If there's still people left alive in the North, it'll be because people from all seven kingdoms came together to fight the ice spiders.

And if the North is gone, and Jon is exiled to be a one-man Night's Watch, who exactly is supporting Bran? I guess theoretically he has Edmure and SweetRobyn on his side, if Littlefinger is dead, but to everyone else he's some weird magic wheelchair kid. Again, the "thank you for saving us, now you can be King for some reason" ending is going to be awful.

I'm open to being wrong here, there are parts of Martin's work that I've been critical before and after reading some analysis, I see that they're actually good. (Most of Sansa and Catelyn's storylines, for example.)...anyone have a reasonable idea how this plays out and is good?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

some bust on that guy posted:

Is Ty not still around?

Ty wrote and finished his own nine-book series, with a six (?) season TV adaptation, starting like a year before ADWD came out. He's half of the Expanse guy.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really dont think anybody is actually angry at him, at this point.

We all know how the story ends, anyway. It became kinda of a long joke like Duke Nukem Forever was, except this time is really forever

I'm angry! It has not improved my life very much so I don't recommend it.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Preston has a lot going on, but his big Thing is that Game of Thrones is a sci-fi world, or uses sci-fi tropes. He's read a LOT of GRRM's other works, and it has things like 'a telepathic network of trees' and a lot of genetics and time travel type stories. He also thinks dragon-riding is genetic and that the Maesters have been colluding for centuries to keep people with the most extreme version of the dragonriding gene, which makes dragon eggs hatch successfully around them, off the throne, (All the Rhaen-women and their husbands and sons, maneuvering to get Viserys on the throne because his dragon died, so he wouldn't get another one, etc) opposed by people like Daemon, who are trying to concentrate these genes.

A lot of it's pretty out there, but it's rarely poorly reasoned or sourced, I like his videos. The few chapters I read of his fanfic seemed good, especially the prologue, but you have to be on board with things like Quentyn being alive, it hits on his theories pretty hard.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I think it's pretty incredible how load-bearing Young Griff/Aegon turned out to be. Of course, you could argue that GRRM shouldn't have introduced a load-bearing character in book 5 of a 7(ish) book series. Double of course, D&D had several years to put him into the show after ADWD came out, and opted not to.

But without him, you have King's Landing held by...Cersei. And basically nobody else, for two seasons. With him (presumably) Dany will have an actual challenge taking over Westeros, since there's a popular king already who (maybe?) gets one of her dragons.

Hell, maybe he'll win. That would subvert expectations nicely. He and Jon can get married and everyone will be happy.

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 26, 2024

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

mossyfisk posted:

Still committed to the theory of "Robert Strong Is Just A New Guy"

Randor Clegane

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Jaime is dyslexic in the show, in the books he just has Hip Blindness. Maybe Qyburn can cure him with techniques banned at the Citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
The thread was always best when it was book-knowers laughing at show-only people, so it'll pick back up again when HOTD season 2 comes out.

I'm also still upset that they did DotD instead of the first Blackfyre Rebellion. They're not going to do TWO civil war shows between people in blonde wigs. (Please tell me I'm wrong)

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 23, 2024