Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Reverse Jesus posted:

Amazon just changed the ADWD release date from July 16 to 'July 16 - July 19'.

I initially parsed this as 'July 2016 - July 2019'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Must needs, leal, neeps, 'biggest breasts ever seen' and 'WHERE DO WHORES GO' were overused and obnoxious.

Much and more. Much and more.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Greyscale has been mentioned before and it's now pretty clearly leprosy.

With the serial numbers filed off and a new paint job, yes, pretty much. (It's introduced no later than page 2 of ACOK, Stannis' daughter had it in infancy and has some disfigurement as a consequence. One difference from real-world leprosy would be that whole "if you get it as a kid it's possible to survive and become immune" thing.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The drains is a double reference. Miles Vorkosigan got assigned to clear a base's drains as a punishment detail in... The Vor Game. Miles is, like Tyrion, born effectively a dwarf. Miles' damage wasn't genetic, rather a result of prenatal exposure to a military poison.

Tyrion is, basically, Miles with lovely parents (well, a lovely parent) instead of good ones. Which is why he's both awesome and scary.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Vagina itself also has this root. Vagina is Latin for sword-sheathe.

Edit: I actually have no idea if the two are related but it doesn't seem far fetched.

Most Germanic languages have cognates of "oval office" so it goes back a hell of a long way. Latin (notably not a Germanic language) also has the suspiciously similar-sounding word "cunnus" for, well, "oval office".

Ninja edit: As for "penis", that actually means "tail" in Latin; its use as a serious name for that bit of male anatomy originated as a euphemism. As did the use of "vagina" for the female bit.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

hellbastard posted:

The act he's most famous for is killing a baby.

A baby he failed to kill.

Far as I remember, he actually killed the hell out of that baby, it just wasn't the right baby (allegedly) because some clever person had pulled the old switcheroo. Can't fault the 8-foot-tall killing machine for not having expert baby-identification skills.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Oh, yeah, I'm certainly not assuming Lannister recognition there. That dynasty will have to go.

Well, the Lannisters are basically hosed in the medium term anyway, now that Kevan is dead and Cersei is apparently going to be boss lady again. We saw what a bang-up job she did before...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Quantify! posted:

Me and mine thought it was good and better.

I enjoyed it much and more!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I felt cheated by The Green Fork. I felt cheated by the Battle of The Whispering Wood. I felt cheated BY ROBERT BARATHEONS HUNT! They had a giant rear end budget, but no giant rear end boar :(.

Mind you, the entire hunt happens "offscreen" in the book.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I thought they always did that in foreign countries due to the page length? Like there was a standard limit to how big fiction novels could be in size or something.

It's a pretty common fate for translated works; seems a translation of almost any text tends to wind up a bit longer than the original.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

I hope they translated it into Cockney English.

Whole thing into Cockney rhyming slang, eh?

I was just making a general observation, anyway. The first book just came out in Norwegian and was split in two volumes even for the hardcover edition, I'm going to check it out just because the translators are two old high school gaming buddies of mine and I'm curious to see if my homies did a good job.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Maytag posted:

I must disagree. Fiction allows authors to explore morality and the human condition with no constraints. Fantastical situations allow for taking explorations in any direction with markedly less repercussion. This is precisely why I read fantasy.

On the other hand, the vast majority of fantasy fiction turns out to be poo poo anyway.

On the other other hand, Sturgeon's law.

On the n+1th hand, after 30 years or so of reading nerdy genre poo poo I still don't mind most of it being poo poo. I require better-written poo poo to hold my attention now than I used to when I was 11, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

WWW you sure do know a lot of truly horrible books off hand.

The Eye of Argon is not exactly obscure; conventions have traditionally had contests where the object is to read as much as possible of the text aloud without laughing.