Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I just binged watched the first 3 seasons over the last week. I knew pretty much every spoiler ahead of time and I really don't care if I hear more. I read on wiki about how Ygritte meets her end but are there any spoilers out there to point to HBO going in a different direction with the character? I'm going to be kind of disappointed if the show throws away yet another fan favorite character because GRRM hates the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

kcroy posted:

Yes, it would be great to have her maybe she could prevent Jon from getting stabbed to death or something. oooh or maybe she could show Mellindry the Lords Kiss and she could be all I SEE THE LORD OF LIGHT IN YOUR FIREBUSH!

I take it you don't like her character?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Actually of all the women on the show I think Ygritte's actress gets naked the least. Well her and Lena Hardy because of all the tattoos I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Robb is only 16 when he dies? Why are all the characters in the books so loving young?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Gritty realism. Medieval simulation books.

I'm not sure there were many 16 year old warlords hopping around Medieval Europe.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

rypakal posted:

I assume that the first scene he wrote was Dany topping Drogo on her 14th birthday and then built the timeline of the series around it

Wait Dany was only 14 when she was married off to Drago? Oh loving hell GRRM.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

rypakal posted:

She was 13. She takes control of her sexual power on her 14th name day

Silly me for thinking Dany was 18 for some reason. Nice

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So according to GRRM's timeline how old is Dany during the scat fetish scene? 15?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

So the showrunners thought that there weren't enough rape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_urvjCXg6c

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So with the White Walker baby HBO has officially shown about a million % more about the Walkers than GRRM has right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sean Bean is doing an AMA on Reddit and well,

No More Heroes posted:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You just loving know that GRRM is gonna be a real rear end in a top hat and die on an April 1st so the internet doesn't know what to believe for about a week.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The American Tolkien

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How long until he rage quits and openly cancels the series?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm hoping that once GRRM dies all his crazed unedited notes get released

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's hilarious that GRRM had all this time to write the next book and he completely hosed it all up. He KNEW back in 2011 that the show would catch up to the books by 2016 and be done by 2017/18. So he had 6/7 years to write two books. Not a terribly unreasonable task. He knew exactly what he needed to do and said 'No'.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

The GRRM isn't delusional, just lazy. It is known.

He's delusional in that he sincerely believes that anyone is going to care about his lovely book series once the TV series is finished.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

P_T_S posted:

The Absolute Fucker has decided to edit another short story anthology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Venus

Gotta do something to fill the time between con appearances and the NFL season.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

what were some of the gradual moments of realization that not only was that series starting to suck but that it would never be finished?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is that the calendar with a month picture of Tyrion's pubes going up to his chin?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there a Vegas prop bet on which comes out first, WoW or Half Life 3?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What if Gaben and GRRM are the same person?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

kcroy posted:

If not then, in the HBO series... I have heard she will have a small character cameo, but that it will secretly reveal she isn't the original Miley.

haha what the gently caress is this. I know that the entertainment industry and Disney in particular has done a lot of shady poo poo with casting couch stuff but how do you go from believing that to believing in loving plastic surgery body doubles to cover up murder?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 24, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Even IF Winds of Winter comes out in mid 2016 that means that Season 6 will be finished. Which means the TV got the plot points first. And then there's a Dream of Spring which... hah. hahahah

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I hope his mission to spite the show breaks some kind of contractual agreement and HBO sues his fat rear end. Like if he radically changes the ending from what he told them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So is it safe to say that GRRM is basically George Lucas? Puts out a few great books/movies with the help of very capable editors, buys into his own hype and surrounds himself with yes men, and then produces lazy egotistical bullshit?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM doesn't deserve to finish his own series at the point. Like in a cosmic karmic sense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I look forward to the day where GRRM says/blogs something that finally alienates all his big fans. Something really dumb that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Like "GOOD NEWS: I've written so much fantastic material for my next book Winds of Winter that I've decided to split it into two full length novels!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Approximately what are the chances we hear the words "it's about the journey, not the destination."

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 11, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ross posted:

I have some bad news for you

The Wit and Wisdom of Jon Snow counts as a book.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Karnegal posted:

ME3 feels like the worst one on that list (though I never watched LOST) only because the ending was a 90 degree turn. At least the endings for the rest of them didn't come out of nowhere. BSG's was unsatisfying, but you could sort of see it coming and you just crossed your fingers and hoped it didn't end that way, and the grudgingly be like "egh".

Don't forget to mention how the ME3 ending came about because the two lead guys locked themselves in a room away from the other writers so they could create a 'deep, artistic, and thought provoking' twist in a brainstorming session that literally involved doodling things from 2001 and The Matrix onto a napkin.

It really was the loving worst.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 11, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Don't forget the dramatic loss of innocence when the one kid in the universe dies in the beginning. Yes the whole game sucked rear end in nearly every way but we were talking about endings in preparation for the poo poo GRRM is gonna churn out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Let's be fair the original leaked ~galactic warming~ ending for ME3 was even dumber than the one they went with.

No way, the original plot and ending were generic and boring but the new one was one giant gently caress you to the player.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Someone made a good point in either this thread or the spoiler thread in TVIV. Everyone was expecting this season to go into WoW territory because of how some characters have reached the end of their DWD arc. But it appears those characters are just going to take on the roles of characters that were cut. So I guess GRRM gets a years reprieve before he's lapped.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HELLO LADIES posted:

If he's going to take the place of Raff the Sweetling from that horrible Arya sample chapter, I hope HBO leaves out the horrible :pedo: aspect GRRM went for in that scene. They'd basically have to, right? Right? :(

Maisie Williams just turned 18 so GRRM is not only going to push for a word for word adaptation but insist on writing and directing it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wouldn't the other San Snakes have already known that story that one told them? Maybe she just brings it up every day in casual conversation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Aston posted:

Posting on the internet is writing.

I'm still waiting for my Pulitzer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

kcroy posted:

I felt this way about the books. I never understood how someone raised by Tywin could be such a complete loving idiot. Cersei felt like a one dimensional monster past a certain point. It felt like GRRMs writing just wasn't up to the task of a complex woman - he couldn't do a fraction of what he did with Jaime.

The closest he gets is some degree of paranoia - but her's reaches levels so far beyond what makes any sense, without even a drop of compromise in her body. I could see explanations for this... for example, maybe she is just someone who followed Tywins apparent example, without seeing behind the scenes at all. But if so, that needed more set up. But she just comes across EXACTLY like Jeffrey. Spoiled, uninformed, etc. I have a hard time believing that.

She is just sex starved / power hungry / dumb as gently caress / completely entitled / crazy. Sounds like GRRMS view of some rich girl who dissed him back in college.

I just needed to throw this out there again:

Basically its like "he raped me, and then I licked his semen off my lips because... well you know, to kill it. HAHAHAHAH I SHOWED YOU WHO IS BOSS!"

My mind cannot conceive of a woman who hates someone so much that after she is forced to jerk him off, she eats his cum and takes pleasure in it. Are they out there? maybe, but ... yeah. no.

As a non book reader, who did she say that to? Robert?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In 20 years GRRM will be posthumously implicated in a Jimmy Savile esque pedophilia streak and all of us will just be like, well that sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is the Wheel of Time thread as awful and depraved as this one? I've never read any of those books so I've never checked.