Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I never really liked Sanderson that much, I listened to half the first Stormlight book at work and then turned it off because it couldn't hold my attention. Just too much high falutin' fantasy without much effort to ground the reader, at least initially.

Joe King is alright, he has neat characters but I can't help but feel what I've read of his has been a little cartoony almost, despite their violence. A bit two-dimensional, his characters are all like "heres who they are, here's their interesting gimmick, GO!"

George is gonna die before he releases another book but he's a good writer, even a great one among trashy fantasy and scifi authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Finger inna bum??? - George RR Martin

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can I just say that this is the stupidest front cover for any book iv ever seen

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The Last Ringbearer is a lot more enjoyable than the actual LOTR books imo

I like evil grrms bad books though and still think he's pretty much the best non-kids fantasy writer I've read.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I listened to some of PJs poddasts recently while cooking and half his ideas are obviously true while his cohost is like "no way whaaat?" and then sometimes he'll go on for ages about how like Maegor the cruel has XXY chromosomes and George is really into rare genetic disorders until some offhand line makes it clear its definitely not a thing and then he goes "Well it still might be possible"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Man I like this series but I'm reading ADWD again instead of reading anything new and enriching. I actually like ADWD a lot.

But man this time through I'm really noticing that EVERY time a female character is introduced or in a scene it describes her breasts, particularly for young girls, even in tense grisly scenes he let's you know what her breasts are up to

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I hope they never adapt Dunk and Egg, just leave those two good fellows alone

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I liked a lot of the "pointless" stuff in dance, tyrion hanging out on a canal boat travelling around with a new crew being a huge dickhead and bad role model

Danys chapter where she opens the fighting pit and drogon arrives is one of my favs

I also thought the sandsnakes were gonna be so cool and really hyped them and zombie cat up to my show-watching friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The show’s Sand Snakes still aren’t as cringe as the book’s Darkstar.

He is of the night.

The point of darkstar is he is cringe joke character, he'd have been a fun show character in an alternate universe