Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw an alt shift x vid recently and it made me decide to do the books. Rather than reading them, I am audiobooking them and it's going okay.

thoughts so far, about 1/2 through book 1:

A lot of the TV show is really well done, but it's nice having more character motivations.
Ned is even stupider in the book than on the show.
Cat sucks even more.
Ned has just decided to leave Kings Landing. So he still has his head, even if it is full of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Arya: Dad, I followed some dudes and they said they were going to kill you.
Ned, after finding out the previous hand was killed: "Arya, shut up and go to your room with your imagination!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Littlefinger: it's my dagger but I lost it in a bet with Tyrion.
Dumb and Dumber: it must be Tyrion who did it. He's got to be as stupid as we are. Of course he'd use a weapon that was traceable back to him.
Tyrion: Are you loving stupid?
Dumber: (she just got to the Aerie but is having doubts)

The weird thing about going through these books is waiting for book 4 when there should be a deluge of new stuff. So far almost everything has happened is in the show or was cut for obvious reasons, or merged with other things.

Another thought is that some of the writing is quite good. Except the girl parts, but most men have trouble writing women, so it's not too surprising.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Before I started on this journey I saw that he'd written 1200 pages or so. Why not just release a bunch of it as its own book? Make it an 8 or 9 book series. Just release something and appease your fans. Why release a 1600 page book that is 4 times as long as a normal book? 5 times?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It will come out. The book after? That will never come out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ned is not dead yet but Robert is about dead. After thinking on it, Neds motivations make perfect sense. Ever decision is based on doing the honorable/just thing. He doesn't want to kill kids and he doesn't want to enable it, either. He always wants to give people a chance to do the right thing, as well.

OTOH, his is a comedy of errors:

He confronts Cersei in the hopes she will flee. It doesn't seem to occur to him that she is likely the one who killed Jon Arryn. She blatantly admits to the incest and everything and he just derps away.
He doesn't tell Robert when he has the chance because he doesn't want his friend to be sad.
When Renly gives him a great out without killing any kids he refuses because he doesn't want to disrespect Robert by acting early.
When Littlefinger says "hey, if you tell Stannis, there is gonna be a lot of killing and death," Ned says well, can't do anything about it cuz he is the rightful heir. Even if it means lots of dead people.

Each decision makes sense in a vacuum. But at some point, you'd think he would add it all up and just hold his nose and do the greater right thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sansa suuuuuuuuuucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about 75% of the way through this first book.

Best character by far is the lord commanders crow.
Worst is Sansa. Sansa is somehow worse in this book than she was on the show.

Did anyone here read the book when it was new. Before the 2nd book came out? And if so, how much of a mindfuck was it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Guy A. Person posted:

My coworker who loaned me the books immediately said “don’t get too attached to the protagonist!” which like why

Which protagonist? I mean, it's not like the book has one. Just some vaguely likable characters, a couple idiots and sansa.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Elias_Maluco posted:

The books kinda suggests almost since the beginning that Dany is no savior, or at least much less makes her look like one than the TV show

That's my feeling so far. Jon is the protagonist. Dany is going to be a villain.

I mean, it's obvious from the beginning that Jon is the hero of the tale. Dany starts lusting for power as soon as her bro dies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been thinking that Sansa should be the one to kill Cersei. But I also remember something about a prophecy. I'm guessing that is coming up in a later book. But Sansa is the catalyst to gently caress everything up in book 1 so far. And Cersei happily takes advantage of those mistakes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've heard once I get to book 4 things will go a completely different direction from the show. That's really why I decided to do this, just to see what actually happens. But how far are they going to diverge? Unrecognizably?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When does the show go 100% off the rails from the books? S7? 6?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It kinda reminds me of The Boys. The comic, not the show. Well, maybe the show. But the disdain the writer has for the subject.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Elias_Maluco posted:

was probably some of the worst moments of television Ive ever saw in my whole life

Boob hater spotted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just met Frey. New cool rankings:

#1 Mormonts Raven
#2 Walder Frey. I found him much more likable in the book. He's kind of amusing with how he just doesn't give a poo poo with his words.

Last: Sansa, right before her: Daenerys. I forgot to mention how terrible the Dany stuff is. Are her chapters ever good or is it constant awful whenever she appears? Now that I think of it, her stuff on the TV show was the worst part of that, as well.

And after the Frey bit, I'm amused that Robb (assuming it's the same plot beat as the show) is going to die because of his lack of honor. He made a pact or whatever and went against it. While his dad died because he couldn't ever go against his honor. A lot of interesting karmic beats and ironies in this book. Neds first scene is beheading a dude and then loses his head, himself. Sansa loses her wolf because she lies (because she is a dumb idiot) and then loses her dad because she is a dumb idiot and turns him in. Ned probably should have been a bit more honest with his girls, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But...boobs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A "Starks aren't stupid" version of the book might be interesting. It would just be a single novel but still fun.

Dany dead early on.
Bran doesn't thrown out of tower.
Joffrey gets killed early on.
Cersei/Jamie get found out and exposed.
And on and on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well Dany just hired the lady to heal drogo and deliver her baby because she is a stupid dumb rear end. And drogo is going along with it because he is a stupid dumb rear end. And jorah is going along with it because he is a stupid dumb rear end.

It's stupid dumb asses all the way down.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TGG posted:

Best characters in these books

Strong Belwas
Barristan The Bold
Garlan Tyrell
Patchface

No more questions

I just met Patchface and I agree. He's #1 with Mormont raven coming up behind and Walder Frey in 3rd.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm a bit into book 2 now. I'd heard that Stannis was really cool. So far he is garbage tier. He's not stupid (so far) like sansa but he's just such a dick. He's totally unlikable. Yuck.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about 25% into clash of kings. Maybe less. Let's say 20%. And roughly 75% of this isn't in the show. Which is nice. None of it really matters, but getting Jorahs back story was pretty cool.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Theon chapters are an absolute slog. His dad is an rear end in a top hat. His sister is a bitch. He is an arrogant prick. No one is likable. I guess his squire is likable, sort of. Naw, gently caress that guy, too. I can't wait for Theon to get his dick chopped off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, in yet another unforced error: robb sends theon, against his moms advice. That really seems like something a lot of his advisors would have been against. Definitely a spot that gurm kinda dropped the plot. It's so obviously a bad idea, you'd think someone other than Cat would have said something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just meant that it's like all these bannermen completely forgot the iron isles existed sort of. They thought, hey we can send Theon and of course they will help us. It never occurred to them that maybe Greyjoy wouldn't be totally happy to help. Just dumb on top of dumb.

The more I think of pretty much any decision, the more I think everyone is stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where I am now, Stannis is about to attack Renly, which is just more stupid. You'd think all these players would be aware that the Lannisters were the real threat and gang up on them and easily take them out. But nope, stupidity upon stupidity.

Book 2 is so so so much worse than book 1. Is this going to keep up? I've heard book 5 is bad, but book 2 is already bad enough that I am amazed he was able to get through 5 books.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sometimes I am reminded of TS Morgensterns, The Princess Bride.

Other times I am reminded of The Boys. The comics, not the show.

Princess Bride: the book is by William Goldman. He writes that he is doing an abridgement of the original book by Morgentsten. And the sort of things he cuts is very much like how gurm describes all sorts of things. Except in Morgensterns book he goes on for entire chapters about minutiae.

And The Boys is very anti-heroes. It is written in part due to a sort of hatred for the superhero genre. The heroes are pretty lovely. And gurms heroes are complete doofuses. So yeah...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Me, every time anyone does anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waf46eBajkw

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The show was called "Jon Snow Knows Nothing." And every episode he wanders into a new town, falls in love with a hot babe, and learns a new trade or skill and helps the locals with whatever their problem is.

Oh wait, that's Golden Boy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Stupid Arya. Harrenhal gets taken over by her dudes and she doesn't say anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm a bit confused at this point. There is a guy named Reek who is helping Theon. Ramsay got killed during some raid.

I'm guessing Reek is actually Ramsay in disguise or something. And in a bit things will gel with the TV show?

As long as there are sausages, I'll be good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hasselblad posted:

A week with no posts.
Has the thread run it's course?

I kept forgetting to bitch.

I'm on book 3 now. Cat is a dumbass. Assuming things with the Red Wedding are about the same as the show, then she got Robb killed.
Arya usually was pretty smart. But not having Jaqen kill the mountain or Tywin was just full on stupid. I get that she's a little kid and wants someone who is directly effecting her gone but her first death was stupid stupid.
The battle of the blackwater was way way better in the books. Much more interesting. On the show it is incredibly stupid.
Arya escaping harrenhal is better in the book, too.
And Brienne throwing boulders and boats was pretty entertaining, too.
But yeah, Cat is dumb as gently caress. Top tier stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried watching that HOTD show. I don't think I even finished the first episode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've barely seen Strong Belwas so don't know why people like him so much. But it occurred to me, he's the Tom Bombadil of these books, isn't he? I mean, a popular character that got booted from the video adaptation because ultimately he didn't matter to the main story.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep getting the feeling that gurm really likes prostitutes. Like a lot. Probably fell in love with at least one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is this the Trump LOL thread?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm getting kinda annoyed at gurms: the north constantly makes mistakes but the "bad guys" never do. Isn't his whole thing supposed to be that he doesn't know what is going to happen and he just writes and things happen. Or something like that?

Eh, whatever. I think part of it is anything Robb does that is good is mentioned off page in passing. But all his and his related chapters are just constant gently caress-ups.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The biggest bellend in the first books/series unexpectedly ends up being the best POV for my money.

Jaime

I'm enjoying his stuff. It's like gurm watched a bunch of 80s teen comedies and tried to perfect the voice of the rich rear end in a top hat blonde haired villain in each of them. Think James Spader in Pretty in Pink. It's pretty funny, actually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of the watch. They let people know what was up and were ignored which is just stupid. Everyone knows why they are there. Everyone accepts that the others "were" a thing. So now the watch are getting ignored. It's such a bad inconsistency.

I mean, if they never contacted anyone that's one thing. But AFAIK, they let EVERYONE EVERYWHERE know what was going on. And everyone was like LOL, naw.

Books are trash.

Belgariad is better by leaps and bounds. It might not be as 'mature" but it's more fun and not nearly as full of abject stupidity.

C'mon Eddings family, find a loophole to get those books made. I'll happily take 10 years worth of mini series to do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I must have missed that. My take was that it was accepted that things like magic and dragons and that sort of thing did exist but had all gone away. I mean, they have proof of the dragons. And they also seem to accept that the forest children were real, as well.

Perhaps it is my bias in that I know that in the books these things are/were real. It really seems to me that they just deny that any of that stuff could come back.