Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

damn girl!
Oct 23, 2008

I am not a cub scout seduced by Iron Maiden's mirror worlds
It also makes the book more interesting in that the Boltons are operating for a long time under the aegis of Robb Stark, so first through Arya and then Brienne you're seeing how terrible the war is for everyone, and how Robb's side is inflicting just as much (well maybe slightly less) turmoil on the world.

I'm reading the books for a second time, and I know everyone complains about AFfC being a pointless travelogue, and I think a lot of that has to do with large parts of ASoS doing the same thing really well. All the Arya and Brienne / Jaime chapters are interesting because the travel serves the purpose of actually getting the characters to places for the plot, but also introducing a ton of people through their interaction with the POV characters in an organic way. I'm halfway through ASoS now and it's still a compelling read.

Hopefully AFfC will be better the second time since I'm more likely to look for stuff I know is going to be more important (Dorne stuff / Cersei stuff) but there were a lot of plot-lines that I don't think accomplished anything more than moving someone from point A to point B in 900 pages. Do the Sam chapters actually accomplish anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU