Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing I was always interested in seeing was how the politickers in King's Landing would react when the magic bullshit plot from The Wall finally made it down to them and they had to confront an outside context problem. And the show's answer to that was "Cersei got scared by a zombie for a few seconds and then immediately went back to her selfish politicking. lol"

So now I don't give a poo poo.

I would have killed to see Tywin Lannister live long enough to realise that in waging that horrible, bloody war in the Riverlands he had decimated both his own and the Northern army, just at the point they could really do with a united Westeros army to deal with Dragons from the east, Ice Zombies from the north and whatever Lovecraftian bullshit Euron Greyjoy is summoning up in the south-west.

I would have liked to have seen him fully realise the magnitude of his own blinkered, cruel actions and despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

3 and 4 are best because Charles Dance and Pedro Pascal are absolute scene stealers, and in CD's case, he really starts to come to the fore instead of being in it sometimes.

There's no point in watching past them, and 1 and 2 are also top class.

Yeah. I tried re-watching recently and got halfway through season 5, thought "I miss Tywin and Joffrey" and never continued my viewing. Charles Dance steals the scene every time, the man is dangerously charismatic, even in his late 70s.

(For those of you who have BBC iPlayer, go watch him in Agatha Christies' And Then There Were None,, or Charles Dickens Bleak House, he plays terrifying lawyers in both of them and is incomparably upper class and monstrous and you cannot take your eyes off him, even when all he is doing is sitting very still)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

I think that says a lot more about how nothing the Aegon plotline is going to be imo. Same with Catelyn

I don't get why they ignored the whole subplot with Wyman Manderly and the whole "THE NORTH REMEMBERS" thing that was, in my opinion, one of the highlights of the last book. You could have surely spun a bit more plot around certain Northern houses being loyal to the Starks, plotting madly against the Boltons in 14 different ways as the snows build up around Winterfell and everyone goes stir-crazy and paranoid and more murderous than previously. (And then Manderly bakes some Freys into pies, which I suppose they used for Arya in the show, oh well)

D&D obviously preferred writing about the politics than the magic. They could have got a much more fun Northern politics subplot out of certain lesser Houses of the North rising up against the Boltons and then starting to fracture afterwards over who should be the Head Stark in the North: Sansa or Jon Snow. And then Bran shows up with his head full of greenseer weirdness and all the factions start to get even more fractious. It'd have given Littlefinger something to do in Season 6/7, turning all the factions against each other in his own inimitable fashion instead of that crummy rubbish in Season 7 where he ineptly plays Arya and Sansa against each other.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Preston, by his own admission is often like "Yeah, this is absolutely insane, but who gives a poo poo, let's chase this hosed up rabbit", even more so since he's started hanging out with fellow ASoIaF YouTube shitposters like Glidus, AltShiftX and RedTeamReviews. Like half his answers to that Fake Fan Theories quiz video Glidus did the other year were "What the gently caress? That's insane."

I like that AltShiftX bloke, he's got a lovely speaking voice, his videos are really beautifully put together and professionally edited, and he always ends the dives into the madder theories with "Is this supported by the context or the overarching themes of the story? No? Well then, its probably not true, but hey, if you have fun believing it, run with it if you want".

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

I read Fevre Dream.

This was the first GRRM book I read, way back in the 90s'. It is pretty drat good, actually, and Victorian vampires on a steamboat in the deep South is a really fun premise! (I think the ending is a wee bit weak, but at least there is one!) There's a nice sense of claustrophobic, creeping terror throughout too, it was a solid novel overall, would recommend if you like vampires.

I was gifted a free audiobook of Harry Lloyd (who played Viserys in the show) reading the 3 Dunk and Egg short stories, would also recommend that. Not normally a fan of audiobooks, but Harry Lloyd did a lovely job.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

TGG posted:

I thought the whole thing was pretty laid out that Ned was definitively dead against Dayne except Howland Reed (WHERE WAS ANY OF THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW) did something to save him.

WHERE WAS ALL THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW.

HOWLAND REED WAS loving ALIVE WHERE THE gently caress WAS HOWLAND REED.

I know he was technically in the flashback but come the gently caress on.

The Reeds got done so dirty in the show. Howland Reed is some sort of tiny guerilla fighter, handy with the old magic and the crannogman blowdarts and perhaps not overburdened with standard morals regarding the honourable warfare, given what other characters say about crannogmen.

An intriguing combination of incredible, decades-spanning loyalty to Ned Stark and his secrets, and 100% avoidance of the world outside his marsh. A man who sends his children into a rapidly escalating warzone to lead a nine-year old paralyzed child up beyond the Wall, and who perhaps holds the key to legitimizing Jon Snow/telling the truth about whatever the hell Rhaegar Targaryean was up to, 20 years ago/letting us in on whatever weird poo poo is on the Isle of Faces at Harrenhall.

In the show you don't get any of that. You just get Jojen getting blown up with bad CGI, and poor Meera Reed dragging Brans' useless, complaining arse up and down a thousand miles of snow, then in her last episode he tells her to gently caress off, he doesn't need her any more, and we never see her again. So dumb. So annoying.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Howland Reed theorycrafting was strong back in the day when we thought more books were coming out. It's now been replaced by theories about lemon trees, and Khal Drogo warging into his own horse, but back in the day there was some good poo poo out there when discussing Howland Reed.

There was a delightful post in Reddit from a guy whose reading comprehension was not up to scratch/was reading in his second language, and was very confused about crannogmen shooting someone (ie with a blowdart/arrow) and took it to mean the folk of the Neck had some sort of primitive gun.

Which of course leads to the memetic theory that Howland Reed was packing heat on the road to the Tower of Joy, and blew away Arthur Dayne with a .22 Valyrian Steel Shotgun, which is genuinely the only theory I will now accept.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

soviet elsa posted:

*swirls wine glass, glares across from Red Keep to Sept*

edit: in the process of writing this short sentence I remembered Bronn manages to get Highgarden. No one in the Reach, which is famously ruled by a bunch of Garth "the Horny" Greenhand's offshoots, has any armies, riches, power, food to oppose Tyrion on this brilliant choice.

I like to think that roughly 90 minutes after Bronn rode into Highgarden he was dead and hanging from the rafters while a remote surviving Tyrell cousin, a Hightower, a Florent and a Redwyne all toasted each other on a job well done, and blamed the terrible treachery on House Peake, a family who have consistently and hilariously betrayed the rulers of Westeros these past 300 years, and never seem to learn from it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

God the Ironmen are such tremendous weenies and it's honestly shocking that the west of Westeros keeps them around because they contribute literally nothing of value to society.

Like, they're even shittier than actual real-life Vikings.

The last 15 years of their history are particularly implausible, when you consider that they sacked and pillaged Lannisport - a city less than ten miles away from Tywin Lannisters' home, and all he did was team up with Stannis and Bobby B to give them a smack on their arse and hand Theon Greyjoy over to the Starks.

Come on, Tywin would have thought "Oh good, another few Houses I can wipe out of existence", and cheerfully genocided the entire archipelago, whistling the "Rains of Castamere" as he went, and everyone else would probably just have nodded and thought "You know, they had it coming", and wonder if they could lay any claim to the iron mines.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

pidan posted:

I forgot, was Show Bronn also married to the mentally disabled pregnant heiress? I think that's where Book Bronn ended up?

Yeah, poor Lollys Stokesworth, who was raped during the riots in Kings Landing. He names the child Tyrion Tanner, which annoys Cersei, then sets about cheerfully offing all the Stokesworth relatives between him and full control of the Stokesworth lands, which annoys Cersei even more, and through his wife he has a claim on the Rosby lands too, I think (the question of the Rosby inheritance keeps cropping up over and over, and all the Lannisters keep putting it to one side, which makes me think it's going to blow up in their faces at some point)

Probably by the end of the books the intention was to have this utterly amoral lowborn sellsword in charge of two very important holdings in the Crownlands, which would have been hilarious. But the show translated that into him getting Highgarden, which is just...extremely dumb.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Just think how chill Westeros would have been had Catelyn and Cercei not existed.

Even just Cersei. If Bobby B had married anyone else then we wouldn't have had homicidal incest bastards in line for the throne and Ned would still be alive and Bran wouldn't have been shoved out of the tower window. No War of Five Kings, and maybe instead of loving about committing warcrimes in the Riverlands, everybody looks north and thinks "poo poo, that's a lot of wildlings pushing south, wonder what's happening?".

Hell, Robert would have had the time of his life commanding the United Army of Westeros against the legions of the frozen dead. He'd have probably hailed Dany and her dragons as jolly good wing commanders at that point and tried to requisition one for his own (he had a Targarean grandmother, didn't he, I'll bet he could have rode one. God, Bob Baratheon atop a dragon with his war hammer, that's an image to put the fear of god into anyone, alive or dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I read, in a Jaime chapter, that their mother caught them doing "stuff" when they were fairly young.

She and Jaime had sex the morning of her wedding too, before she could ever have known Robert would turn into a drunken lout or hurt her. Imagine just how screwed up someone would need to be to bang their twin brother an hour before marrying and getting crowned queen, the very thing she and her father had been working towards since she was a little girl.

She was a 100% absolute nutjob long before Robert, I can see why she turned out the way she did by the time the books started, especially with a father like Tywin and a husband like drunk Robert, but 95% of her problems she makes for herself. She's fascinating, and hilariously hateable and infuriating and that is why she's such a fun character to read about.

Ravenson posted:

Yup, and then in true ASOIAF fashion she suddenly remembered that she was a woman who'd given birth and died instantly, ensuring that her horrible twins could go back to playing hide the pickle.

I like to think that if Joanna Lannister had lived she would have proved to be quite as ruthless as Tywin, but just in a manner acceptable for women. She have never let the twins see each other alone ever again, would have married Cersei off to the furthest away lord in Essos that she could find, and probably pushed Tyrion into a career at the Citadel, where he might actually have been happier, poor soul. And then had at least 3 more children to scotch any rumours about her womb being blighted or cursed to produce dwarfs (you know that's what people would have said about her), and probably had anyone who suggested as much be hung for treason. Any woman who Tywin Lannister loved must have been an absolute terror.